Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3954 Old 04-25-2010, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by medspeaking View Post

while my Sony Wega has HDMI, my current receiver does not and I use optical for audio. Doing it this way, would there be any lip synch problems?

I do not own the s570 player (here in Italy it's not available at the moment) but i have read in the manual that, in case, you can increment the audio delay.

In my actual configuration (a panasonic dvd player, a sony z4500 tv and an analogic headphone amplifier) i have lip sync problems when i listen through the analogic headphone amplifier, that's why i hope to solve them with the s570 capability of audio delay regulation (very rare feature that i didn't find in the other players i've considered).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3954 Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 PM

I was considering this player but I'm concerned by the reports from those that are complaining about soft PQ. Is the consensus that this player does suffer from some degree of soft PQ?
post #273 of 3954 Old 04-26-2010, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 View Post

I was considering this player but I'm concerned by the reports from those that are complaining about soft PQ. Is the consensus that this player does suffer from some degree of soft PQ?

My 570 replaced an S350 and don't find the picture quality to be soft at all.
post #274 of 3954 Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

FAT32 only but there will be a firmware upgrade in near future to support HDD and I have no idea if NTFS will come together.

FAT32 only?!?! Grrr
post #275 of 3954 Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 View Post

It's not soft. Perhaps not the best DVD upconversion but looks very good nevertheless. Bluray is as good as any other player.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #276 of 3954 Old 04-26-2010, 06:31 PM
rpr

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

My 570 replaced an S350 and don't find the picture quality to be soft at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

It's not soft. Perhaps not the best DVD upconversion but looks very good nevertheless. Bluray is as good as any other player.

Any idea how the Sony 570 upconverting and PQ would compare to the Panny BD65?
post #277 of 3954 Old 04-26-2010, 07:02 PM

This model played AVCHD dvds created by SONY VEGAS software prior to update to 473 firmware. When attempting to play these disk after update "CANNOT PLAYBACK THIS DISK" is displayed onscreen. I picked up a second bdp-s370 and attempt to play my AVCHD disk. Fresh out of the box it played every AVCHD I own (about 12). Then I connect it to the internet, did the firmware update, and the new BDP-S370 quit playing my AVCHD disk would no longer play, displaying on screen "CANNOT PLAYBACK THIS DISK". It obvious that the firmware removes the abililty to play AVCHD DVD's. The reason I purchased this Blueray player was it's abililty to play AVCHD DVD's. I have NEVER had a manufacturer remove functionality from a product after I take it out of the box and take it home.... Is that LEGAL????
post #278 of 3954 Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:

I was thinking of getting this player, with the primary purpose of netflix streaming wirelessly. I had read an Amazon review where the reviewer said he had trouble inputting his wireless code because the player does not recognize capital letters and/or other characters and he had to change his code to accommodate the player. Is this true or is this a user error?

Secondly, while my Sony Wega has HDMI, my current receiver does not and I use optical for audio. Doing it this way, would there be any lip synch problems?

i'm also curious about the ability to recognize capital letters
post #279 of 3954 Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I was thinking of getting this player, with the primary purpose of netflix streaming wirelessly. I had read an Amazon review where the reviewer said he had trouble inputting his wireless code because the player does not recognize capital letters and/or other characters and he had to change his code to accommodate the player. Is this true or is this a user error?

User error. There's an option to switch to capital letters in the "keyboard" that pops up when typing in the security code.
post #280 of 3954 Old 04-27-2010, 08:01 PM

Just bought BD570. Hooked it up and guess what? No DLNA. I can't share my videos or pictures from my PC. What the hell is up with that?? Sony advertises this on their website. I bought it for this feature. Now I read that maybe sometime in the future it may be offered.
Well, this is going back tomorrow. I won't be checking Sony products anytime soon for my entertainment dollars. I can't believe that a major manufacturer would advertise something and then not deliver it! I'm mad as hell and not going to take it anymore.
post #281 of 3954 Old 04-28-2010, 01:25 AM

Their website says that it won't be available until July via firmware update.
post #282 of 3954 Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 AM

The Sony website has it as a very faint footnote. And if you scroll down enough you see a footnote tab that you have to click on. THEN you have to scroll down some more to find #4 that says after all the legal jumbo that it will be available in Jul. A customer would have to be real interested in reading all that small print after seeing all the advertised wonders of this product in much bolder print!

Sony sucks...why couldn't they just say this was not available...Maybe later in Jul more than two or three months in the future.
post #283 of 3954 Old 04-28-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker View Post

The Sony website has it as a very faint footnote. And if you scroll down enough you see a footnote tab that you have to click on. THEN you have to scroll down some more to find #4 that says after all the legal jumbo that it will be available in Jul. A customer would have to be real interested in reading all that small print after seeing all the advertised wonders of this product in much bolder print!

Sony sucks...why couldn't they just say this was not available...Maybe later in Jul more than two or three months in the future.

There were several posts here, including the first on this thread, about DLNA not available until July.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #284 of 3954 Old 04-28-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicholsinwpb View Post

This model played AVCHD dvds created by SONY VEGAS software prior to update to 473 firmware. When attempting to play these disk after update "CANNOT PLAYBACK THIS DISK" is displayed onscreen. I picked up a second bdp-s370 and attempt to play my AVCHD disk. Fresh out of the box it played every AVCHD I own (about 12). Then I connect it to the internet, did the firmware update, and the new BDP-S370 quit playing my AVCHD disk would no longer play, displaying on screen "CANNOT PLAYBACK THIS DISK". It obvious that the firmware removes the abililty to play AVCHD DVD's. The reason I purchased this Blueray player was it's abililty to play AVCHD DVD's. I have NEVER had a manufacturer remove functionality from a product after I take it out of the box and take it home.... Is that LEGAL????

I have EXACTLY the same problem. I bought the new BDP-S570 player, it updated the firmware and won't play anything created in VEGAS. I've tried everything to get it to work. PMB (the software that comes with Sony HD camcorders) created AVCHD disks still play but nothing created in Vegas/DVDA. I don't know who to complain to, the Vegas people, the bluray player people? All of the disks still play perfectly in my older bluray players which have not been firmware upgraded.

If anyone hears anything about this or knows a good way to get Sony's attention (I've tried Sony CS through email... nothing) please let me (us) know.

Thank you all.

Update for you mnicholsinwpb,
On the phone tonight with Sony for over an hour. After resets, multiple disk tests with BDP-BX57 (S570) and old BDP-S350, S550 I made it through 3 levels of support to engineering in CA. Everyone agrees there is a problem with the firmware. They are running tests and will contact me within 3~5 days. Lets hope. I'll keep y'all posted.

UPDATE M04.R.588 firmware version.
This has been fixed.
post #285 of 3954 Old 04-28-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kginder View Post

If anyone hears anything about this or knows a good way to get Sony's attention (I've tried Sony CS through email... nothing) please let me (us) know.

Thank you all.

I have had amazing results using http://www.planetfeedback.com/
post #286 of 3954 Old 04-29-2010, 01:09 PM

Just picked up the player and hooked it up. Setting up the wireless was surprisingly easy, even though inputting my password with its varied assortment of lower case and capitals and characters took forever. But all in all it had to have been one of the easier devices to set up in my home network.

Netflix streamed perfectly, and that was the main reason that I chose this player; just wanted something that worked reliably via wireless for a secondary television. I don't think visually it looked as good as if I had a dvd in the tray. I thought the picture did look a teeny bit soft but definitely very, very watchable. I don't have any blu-ray disks to check that out. Popping in a standard dvd, it looked fine. I had previously been using an Oppo to upconvert and I do think the Oppo (strictly subjectively speaking) did a better job; but, again, this very brief test looked fine. This is the first day and obviously don't have a lot to go on yet.

Question about youtube videos. Did try that to see what it would look like. While the resolution looks fine, it's in a small window in the upper right of the screen and takes up even less than a quarter of the screen. Is there any way to get it to go full screen (or just even larger than it is)?
post #287 of 3954 Old 04-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

...Question about youtube videos. Did try that to see what it would look like. While the resolution looks fine, it's in a small window in the upper right of the screen and takes up even less than a quarter of the screen. Is there any way to get it to go full screen (or just even larger than it is)?...

I just stumbled on this...Scroll right until you are on top of the window, and select the enter key. This will make it bigger.
post #288 of 3954 Old 04-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnicholsinwpb View Post

Have you guys tried wirepole's AVCHD Patcher or deank's goBD to modify the index.bdmv file? The discs created by DVD Architect are strictly Blu-ray structure. The only way to get these discs burned on DVD working on PS3 is to modify the index.bdmv. So I guess you should try these first.

http://www.videohelp.com/download/AV...tcher_1.06.rar

So I saw someone saying this machine can play MKV, but OP clearly says not. Is this going be a dlna feature that's coming in July? Will keep an eye on this machine for the moment I guess.
post #289 of 3954 Old 04-29-2010, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamletiii View Post

So I saw someone saying this machine can play MKV, but OP clearly says not. Is this going be a dlna feature that's coming in July? Will keep an eye on this machine for the moment I guess.

I tested 2 MKV files , created by Makemkv and Handbrake. The S570 did recognize the files and start playing but with unbearable pixelation and video/audio dropouts. Both files tested on a thumbdrive. The manual does mention MKV in the list of supported files.

There are some very important questions that must be addressed :

-Will the USB HDD support be limited to FAT32 ? I would guess: Yes.
-How is the DLNA be implemented ? Which file formats will be supported "natively" ?

I am almost sure that we will never see a true media center, that's why I bought my Asus O!play. I need ISO and M2TS support, very unlikely to be implemented by Sony.

post #290 of 3954 Old 04-30-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abward View Post

I just stumbled on this...Scroll right until you are on top of the window, and select the enter key. This will make it bigger.

Thank you so much! That did indeed work perfectly. Appreciate your posting it.
post #291 of 3954 Old 04-30-2010, 08:30 AM

So I recently bought this blu-ray player, and I just had my 6020fd delivered on Wednesday. I immediately hooked them up and started to watch Avatar and the picture is amazing. Calibrator came last night, and made the TV even better.

that being said, I did come across one issue. If the TV is set to the blu-ray HDMI input and I power on the blu-ray, everything is fine. If the TV is set to a different input, and I power on the blu-ray, when the blu-ray is done booting up and says "Home" on its display, the screen on the TV goes blank. The remote also becomes inoperable, like the TV is frozen. The only thing I can do is unplug and then plug it back in and then everything works fine.

While I have a workaround (put the TV to the blu-ray input before powering it on) I am wondering if this is an issue with the blu-ray or the TV.

Anyone else notice this?
post #292 of 3954 Old 05-01-2010, 04:40 AM

AUDIO HELP REQUESTED:

My audio is connected via optical to an older receiver (HK 240). This is the same setup as my previous dvd player before getting the Sony BR. The video is connected via HDMI.

Last night we watched our first SD-DVD disk and the sound was awful, sounding as if it was coming through a tunnel. Took a while to realize that it was due to the sound coming out of the speakers AND coming out of the TV speaker; i.e., the television speaker sound wasn't automatically cut off when switching over to using the speaker/receivers.

There didn't seem to be any setting in the BR player to address this. I didn't think I needed to reset anything in the receiver, being that it's the same setup as it was before, with only swapping out a different dvd player. I will dig out the receiver manual as my next step, as admittedly it's been a long while since I fooled around with that. Does anyone have any insight of what I should be looking at? It used to be an automatic thing.
post #293 of 3954 Old 05-01-2010, 10:41 PM

On the bravia internet entertainment page (sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?hideHeaderFooter=false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=STATICS_BIV_showcase), it shows that facebook, twitter etc are supported on blu ray players and when i click on the supported blu ray player, it shows s570 player home page. But I cannot see these widgets on my blu ray player, am i missing something. Is anybody else able to see these widgets?
post #294 of 3954 Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 AM

I used to be able to view jpg pictures on a thumb drive before the latest outdate, now I can't. Has anybody else experienced this?

Thanks.
post #295 of 3954 Old 05-03-2010, 02:18 PM

Does this player have 480i output via HDMI, or is it upconverted to a minimum of 480p?
post #296 of 3954 Old 05-03-2010, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddoyle96 View Post

Does this player have 480i output via HDMI, or is it upconverted to a minimum of 480p?

It does 480p via componet and 1080p unconvert via HDMI.
post #297 of 3954 Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohandm@gmail.co View Post

On the bravia internet entertainment page (sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentDisplayView?hideHeaderFooter=false&storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&cmsId=STATICS_BIV_showcase), it shows that facebook, twitter etc are supported on blu ray players and when i click on the supported blu ray player, it shows s570 player home page. But I cannot see these widgets on my blu ray player, am i missing something. Is anybody else able to see these widgets?

Since you haven't gotten any replies, I figured I would give my thoughts on this. From looking at the various pages on these widgets, it looks like it is just available on some of the Sony TVs; but it could be an upgrade in July too. It would be nice.

Mike
post #298 of 3954 Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

It does 480p via componet and 1080p unconvert via HDMI.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but do you know of any 3D Blu Ray players that can output 480i over HDMI? I've got a video processor that I use to handle upconversion, and I'd prefer the DVD player to output the native 480i resolution for standard DVDs.
post #299 of 3954 Old 05-03-2010, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't want to hijack the thread, but do you know of any 3D Blu Ray players that can output 480i over HDMI? I've got a video processor that I use to handle upconversion, and I'd prefer the DVD player to output the native 480i resolution for standard DVDs.

The Sony 470 and 570 will be 3D certified soon (July ?) and can output 480i through HDMI. I tested.

post #300 of 3954 Old 05-03-2010, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

None that I know of right now.
Reading posts by users who have video processors, most use the Oppo 80/83 and set the output to direct (no processing).
Or you could try S-Video out or rip the DVD and use a Mediaserver like the WDTV live or the Asus Oplay. (Just a guess here)

Certified HDTV junkie and AVS addict
U.S. Army FA WWII
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page