Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2011, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had the player now for a few weeks.

Just added another laptop with Windows 7.

Just seeing the same problems as with my older laptop.

WITHOUT Windows Media player running, the blu ray sees only AVI files on the laptop, and NOT Mpeg movies.

Just wondering if this is normal, or is something wrong?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 07:59 PM

I am using the 570 with a Denon 989 receiver and have had some issues with audio dropouts. I was watching Salt on bluray and within the first 5 minutes I had 3 audio drops. There have been a couple of other movies that I have had issues with too. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? I had a Panasonic bluray player before this and never had any audio issues. I am hooked up through HDMI.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:49 PM

When the s570 outputs its PCM signal (assumes latest firmware...Downmix is set to surround and BD Mix audio is on) is this a discrete 5.1 signal? In all my searching I have not been able to confirm this.

Sadly my Yamaha only displays PCM and won't tell me if it's actually a discrete 5.1 or 2.1 signal. Of course I might be an idiot and not know where to look.

If I can confirm it's a true discrete 5.1 signal, just resampled down to 16bit/48 that would be fine. I really prefer the Cinema DSP modes available on my Yamaha over STRAIGHT. But if it can't be true 5.1 than it's no longer desirable.

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin "Q" Quattro
Lead Artist, Inhance Digital

Old 03-01-2011, 06:03 AM

When I had the 570, and now the 380, they output lpcm to my receiver. I can confirm that it is discrete and will output as many channels as you receiver can accept. Mine can receive 5.1, so the BD mix was 5.1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelsmack View Post

When the s570 outputs its PCM signal (assumes latest firmware...Downmix is set to surround and BD Mix audio is on) is this a discrete 5.1 signal? In all my searching I have not been able to confirm this.

Sadly my Yamaha only displays PCM and won't tell me if it's actually a discrete 5.1 or 2.1 signal. Of course I might be an idiot and not know where to look.

If I can confirm it's a true discrete 5.1 signal, just resampled down to 16bit/48 that would be fine. I really prefer the Cinema DSP modes available on my Yamaha over STRAIGHT. But if it can't be true 5.1 than it's no longer desirable.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-01-2011, 07:04 AM

What's new with the 580 model?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:53 AM

New case. Faster load times. Perhaps a different drive mechanism. NTFS compatibility on USB drives. That's all we can speculate about now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richall01 View Post

What's new with the 580 model?

Old 03-01-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelsmack View Post

Any help is appreciated.

Which model Yamaha? I have a RX-V867 and its OnScreen info screen may have the information you need. The front panel 'info' button is not as informative. Have you tried asking the same question on a Yamaha thread?

My AVR front panel will show PCM even without any input. I guess it's better than a blank display.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

New case. Faster load times. Perhaps a different drive mechanism. NTFS compatibility on USB drives. That's all we can speculate about now.

Since is the same price essentially as the S570 I preorded the S580. I can hardly wait to tell you what I love about it.

--Michael

Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM

I have a connection problem with my BDP BX57. I can connect to the wireless router, but it says that the gateway is not responding. Funny thing is, that I can get all of the streaming services without a problem. I even get notices displayed on the box from Sony that I need a firmware update. Therefore, it is connecting to the internet just fine. Also standing next to the box, I can get to the internet through my wireless router with my laptop and cell phone.

But when you look at the network status, it says that there is a wireless connection but no internet connection. The Sony Diagnostics say that the gateway is not responding, but I know the gateway is fine, I have three other computers and two cell phones that are going through that gateway without any problems. I checked all of the IP and DNS addresses and they are what they should be. Why are they looking for a response from the gateway anyway? Shouldnt they just be passively going through the gateway? Are they trying to do something stupid with my gateway as part of their DRM?

When you try to get a firmware update, it says that there is no internet access so it will not update. I finally downloaded the latest firmware update and put it on a disk and updated the box manually, but it didnt change anything. (M04.R.752)

I finally hardwired the box to my wired main firewall router to bypass any potential wireless problems, but it didnt fix anything, I still get the same problem. I have 20 Mbps internet connection, so I know that it is not a bandwidth problem. I also checked that cable going to the Sony by connecting it to my laptop and it connected to the internet just fine.

I think that the problem is a software glitch in Sonys communication program. Sony's customer service claim that that would be impossible, and thats what convinced me that it was probably true. All the streaming services connect and play just fine, except Netflix, which keeps loosing connection because Sony is rerouting all Netflix traffic through their overloaded servers, but that is a different known problem with Sony.

If you can ignore that fact that it is only the Sony update service, status screen, and diagnostics that can't connect to the internet (everything non-Sony connects just fine) the machine isnt all that bad, but it would be nice to get this bug resolved. Any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:

I just noticed the S580 is now available on the Sony rewards site. For card holders you get an additional 10% off. I had around $100 worth of points left so I used them to order one. Not bad for $80+tax shipped.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it. Unfortunately I have no point of reference since this will be my first blu-ray player
Old 03-01-2011, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrology View Post

If you can ignore that fact that it is only the Sony update service, status screen, and diagnostics that can't connect to the internet (everything non-Sony connects just fine) the machine isnt all that bad, but it would be nice to get this bug resolved. Any suggestions?

That's one strange problem. What make/model is your router? Maybe someone here can give specific help. I use a D-Link 655. Works ok to cable modem. Used to work ok to DSL modem.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:03 PM

I recently purchased an Sony BDP S570 ... and have encountered some inconsistencies with playback of m4v files ... I have a small library of like 100-some movies in the format - all of which have been created with HandBrake - using the same settings ...

All of the movies play fine from iTunes, iPad, iMac, and Quicktime - no problems with any title ... I stuck them on an external drive and plugged into the BDP ... oddly enough some of the movies will not play on the player, I get a message about the file being corrupt ...

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it ... some of the movies play, others do not .. examples Avatar will play, but Hellboy II will not ... I've tried to find the common thread between films that play and those that don't - but nothing.

again- I have used the same settings in handbrake each time I've created a file -

any input would be rather appreciated -
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantis24 View Post

I just noticed the S580 is now available on the Sony rewards site. For card holders you get an additional 10% off. I had around $100 worth of points left so I used them to order one. Not bad for $80+tax shipped.

I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it. Unfortunately I have no point of reference since this will be my first blu-ray player

Fantastic price. Amazon's specs indicate no optical (TOSLINK) output. I never believe marketing specs. Let us know if they dropped fiber. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Fantastic price. Amazon's specs indicate no optical (TOSLINK) output. I never believe marketing specs. Let us know if they dropped fiber. Thanks.

Thanks

Sony has the manual available on their support site.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=BDPS580

Here's a direct link to the manual
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS580.pdf

Page 7 shows the rear panel. Optical (TOSLINK) output has been removed. Digital COAX is the only digital audio output available.

Here's a pic of the rear panel
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So.../BDPS580_2.png
Old 03-01-2011, 07:36 PM

Just bought this the other day. Can't play any of my video files from my western digital NAS. I see some people have success but due to transcoding. I want to play them direct.

What file types are supported please?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMantis24 View Post

Thanks

Sony has the manual available on their support site.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/mod...pl?mdl=BDPS580

Here's a direct link to the manual
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS580.pdf

Page 7 shows the rear panel. Optical (TOSLINK) output has been removed. Digital COAX is the only digital audio output available.

Here's a pic of the rear panel
http://www.sonystyle.com/wcsstore/So.../BDPS580_2.png

Seems to have much better web access. Thanks for the links. Wonder why they have a section to use the USB wireless device?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM

this player has been rock solid for me (I own four). Tonight with the burlesque movie my wife is having all sorts of trouble. Since I am not watching it I can tell whats going on but the player has reset twice during the middle of the movie and now toward the end the player locked up. I am going to try and swap with another unit to see if I could recreate but I wanted to check and see if anyone else has seen this?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewto16 View Post

Just bought this the other day. Can't play any of my video files from my western digital NAS. I see some people have success but due to transcoding. I want to play them direct.

Blu-Ray
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 PM

I have an s570 connected to a denon 1611. Watching movies in it I have to crank the volume up to -10db. while watching something in my ps3 its practically booming at -29db.

Rewatching parts of Megamind on the ps3 makes it also seem like the s570 just isn't doing a great job with the audio, it's like I'm listening to a totally different movie. I heard a lot more going on from the rear speakers then I did when I was watching it in the S570 with the movie turned up quite a bit. Actually, thinking back, pretty much every device needs to be in the -20db or so range while I need to keep cranking up the S570. Are there any explanations for this? A setting that's messed up? A bad hdmi cable? Any suggestions would be great.

Here are my audio settings

Audio auto
Dsd output mode off
Bd audio mix off
Dolby digital Dolby digital
Dts dta
Dts neo 6 off
Audio drc side
Downmix surround
Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy32 View Post
Blu-Ray
By far the most unhelpful post I've ever received on here.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredWarr25 View Post
I have an s570 connected to a denon 1611. Watching movies in it I have to crank the volume up to -10db. while watching something in my ps3 its practically booming at -29db.

Rewatching parts of Megamind on the ps3 makes it also seem like the s570 just isn't doing a great job with the audio, it's like I'm listening to a totally different movie. I heard a lot more going on from the rear speakers then I did when I was watching it in the S570 with the movie turned up quite a bit. Actually, thinking back, pretty much every device needs to be in the -20db or so range while I need to keep cranking up the S570. Are there any explanations for this? A setting that's messed up? A bad hdmi cable? Any suggestions would be great.

Audio auto
Dsd output mode off
Bd audio mix off
Dts dta
Dts neo 6 off
Audio drc side
Downmix surround
On the PS3, under audio option, make sure that volume is set to normal. If you increase the volume here, then the S570 would sound lower by comparison. I have both the S570 and the PS3 and they sound identical to me via HDMI.

BTW, to access the audio option, press option during movie playback and select sound from the pop up menu.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

I know it does NOT play avi (divx, xvid), which I find ridiculous since Canadian version apparently can.

Come on, Sony, it's divx! It's an ubiquitous format that every DVD and Blu Ray player I know can handle.

I just looked over the manual for 580 and that one will play avi (xvid).

I may just return 570 unless Sony unlocks the ability.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By far the most unhelpful post I've ever received on here.
Try:

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/BDPS570.pdf

Page 33.

I would have done a cut & paste, but that might be some copyright violation.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 AM

Besides what was already suggested earlier with the PS3 internal volume control, two other possibilities come to mind:

1) Make sure your receiver is decoding the same audio track that is being sent by the PS3 and your 570. Different tracks often have different volume levels.

2) The 570 might have a lower output voltage from the HDMI than the PS3. But, I really don't know the operating specs of HDMI, so this could totally be the wrong idea.

I don't think it's the HDMI cable. With digital signals, either the cable works or it doesn't. There is no fall-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KindredWarr25 View Post

Audio auto
Dsd output mode off
Bd audio mix off
Dts dta
Dts neo 6 off
Audio drc side
Downmix surround

Old 03-02-2011, 07:30 AM

I own the 380 and I can confirm optical has been removed. I don't think this is a big deal for many people in the BR crowd because optical can't carry the new codecs. Plus, it's a dying technology that is more prone to jitter than other digital streams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I own the 380 and I can confirm optical has been removed. I don't think this is a big deal for many people in the BR crowd because optical can't carry the new codecs. Plus, it's a dying technology that is more prone to jitter than other digital streams.

It would be nice if Sony would do that to their televisions also. Optical: do not fold, spindle or mutilate. Spindle? Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has Sony recognized the BD Live issue from the current firmware?
Old 03-03-2011, 02:28 AM

Wondering what those of you who have had the 570 for a while think of its DVD upscaling performance. Our Sony KD34XS955 1080i HDTV has only one HDMI input, using that for cable. Got the 570 two weeks ago, using component connection set at 1080i. First Blu-Ray disc looked very good, and Netflix streaming has been good so far. Would need to get an HDMI switcher to be able to use the 570 for upscaling DVDs to 1080i. Have an Onkyo DVD player that we have been using for DVDs, its a good player and the TV's DRC does a decent job. Worth it or not to get the HDMI switcher and use the 570 for DVDs? Appreciate learning from your experiences.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM

I had the 570 for a week before returning it. I returned it because of the Netflix epic fail and the very noisy drive (my new 380 also has noise, but not to the same annoyance level as the 570).

The 570 had about the same upscaling performance (at least to my untrained eye) that my Sony DVD 710 player had. I consider my 710 to be very good, but not excellent. Both players were good enough to really shine when fed good transfers and editing jobs, but fell apart on the awful transfers with lots of compression and edge enhancements. The colors were very film like, so the upconversion didn't slaughter the color pallet at all. That's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STSinNYC View Post

Wondering what those of you who have had the 570 for a while think of its DVD upscaling performance.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:56 AM

I am trying to determine the best way to play 1080p HD content on my BDP-S570 player that does not involve me to burning BD-R or RE media.

I'm thinking about using a portable USB HDD... Can I use a drive that is powered via the USB port, or do I need to use a drive that has separate AC power? Can the 570 read native BR format files off the drive, or should I convert to M2TS first?

I'm assuming that the DLNA support is still too primitive to properly stream any HD formats, even with a 100Mbps cat5 connection?

Update: Doing some more reading... it looks like this player previously did not support NTFS... is this still the case? If not, I suppose it makes my concern all a moot point... any HD videos I have are going to be larger than 4GB, which FAT32 can't handle

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player