AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirmo View Post
Hi MacinMan,

I spent a couple of minutes giving it a good clean, but no joy.

I only have 2 other Blurays, I am Legend and Pan's Labyrinth. They both play fine.

I tried erasing BD data and turning off the network connection, but it's still getting stuck.

Thanks for your reply.
OK, the only other two suggestions i can give you, are:

Try the disc in a different player, if you have one available e.g. friend, neighbor or even store.
2. See if you can get a different copy of the disc to see if it's a software problem, or a physical disc problem, e.g. if your particular copy of the movie was defective during the authoring and pressing process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm the only person I know with a Bluray player, so I'll exchange it for another copy. Thank you.
post #3603 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Wondering if the box store version -- the BDP-BX57 -- has either 1080i or 1080p playback through components, or if they're down-converted to 480 per the 1/1/11 downgrading or removal of component outputs?

Text on the box includes: "1080p playback requires HDMI cable and HDTV with equivalent display capability." Would that mean that the components will give 1080i, or just 480?

Posts here say that the BX57 is identical to the S570. Can any BX57 user confirm this? Thanks!
post #3604 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Hello, I have an S570 that i have been using for about 8 months without difficulty. I don't have a new receiver, so I am using digital coaxial out to my Yamaha for 5.1 DD and DTS. I hae not had any problem with DTS Master Audio encoded Blu-rays playing as lossy 5.1 DTS, but the last 2 discs that I got from Netflix have been DD 5.1 (the movie "Red", not the spec edition which has DTS), and the movie "Let Me In", which has Dolby True HD-both would only play back in 2 channel on the Yamaha. I checked the 570's display while playing the "let me in" blu-ray, and it showed Dolby True HD 5.1, but again only was getting 2 channels.
I haven't changed anything on the Sony or the Yamaha-why is this happening?
I might think that it was Netflix, since many of their movies are copies and like the "Red", had the inferior soundtrack, but the second movie showed that the Sony was detecting the 5.1 signal.
Also, just loaded the newest firmware yesterday-but had the problem with the "red" blu-ray prior to new firmware, so doubt that has anything to do with it.
Any thoughts?
post #3605 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post
Hello, I have an S570 that i have been using for about 8 months without difficulty. I don't have a new receiver, so I am using digital coaxial out to my Yamaha for 5.1 DD and DTS. I hae not had any problem with DTS Master Audio encoded Blu-rays playing as lossy 5.1 DTS, but the last 2 discs that I got from Netflix have been DD 5.1 (the movie "Red", not the spec edition which has DTS), and the movie "Let Me In", which has Dolby True HD-both would only play back in 2 channel on the Yamaha. I checked the 570's display while playing the "let me in" blu-ray, and it showed Dolby True HD 5.1, but again only was getting 2 channels.
I haven't changed anything on the Sony or the Yamaha-why is this happening?
I might think that it was Netflix, since many of their movies are copies and like the "Red", had the inferior soundtrack, but the second movie showed that the Sony was detecting the 5.1 signal.
Also, just loaded the newest firmware yesterday-but had the problem with the "red" blu-ray prior to new firmware, so doubt that has anything to do with it.
Any thoughts?
You're touching on something I started to notice on Blu-rays from certain companies, like Anchor Bay. I, too, just use an optical connection, and all Blu-rays are supposed to contain the core Dolby Digital and DTS information along with the TrueHD and DTS-HD. It seems like discs, including Red, only transmit via optical in two channels, which leads me to believe there is ONLY the TrueHD and DTS-HD information--no legacy sound. I hope I'm wrong and that this is not a new trend because I'm not upgrading my receiver anytime soon.
post #3606 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuulboy View Post
You're touching on something I started to notice on Blu-rays from certain companies, like Anchor Bay. I, too, just use an optical connection, and all Blu-rays are supposed to contain the core Dolby Digital and DTS information along with the TrueHD and DTS-HD. It seems like discs, including Red, only transmit via optical in two channels, which leads me to believe there is ONLY the TrueHD and DTS-HD information--no legacy sound. I hope I'm wrong and that this is not a new trend because I'm not upgrading my receiver anytime soon.
Zuul, you're correct in that the "let me in" is an Anchor Bay, not sure about the "Red". If in fact this is the case, it really is pretty bad that these companies are not supporting the lossy formats-not everybody can upgrade both their video and audio all at once.
post #3607 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Zuul, you're correct in that the "let me in" is an Anchor Bay, not sure about the "Red". If in fact this is the case, it really is pretty bad that these companies are not supporting the lossy formats-not everybody can upgrade both their video and audio all at once.
I just tested my copy of Red, which is distributed by Summit, and I got the full 5.1 channels of regular DTS. Come to think of it, I've only had problems with Anchor Bay titles that advertise Dolby True HD sound. On those titles, I can't get regular DD 5.1-- just two channels. I've never had this problem with any disc that says DTS-HD, but maybe that's because the problem is only with Anchor Bay and they usually use Dolby TrueHD.

In any event, I thought it was determined early on that all Blu-ray Discs must contain those core legacy Dolby and DTS channels for older receivers. If Anchor Bay or another company is ignorning that, I hope someone calls them out soon.
post #3608 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just tested my copy of Red, which is distributed by Summit, and I got the full 5.1 channels of regular DTS. Come to think of it, I've only had problems with Anchor Bay titles that advertise Dolby True HD sound. On those titles, I can't get regular DD 5.1-- just two channels. I've never had this problem with any disc that says DTS-HD, but maybe that's because the problem is only with Anchor Bay and they usually use Dolby TrueHD.

In any event, I thought it was determined early on that all Blu-ray Discs must contain those core legacy Dolby and DTS channels for older receivers. If Anchor Bay or another company is ignorning that, I hope someone calls them out soon.
As I understand it, the Red blu-ray has a special edition which contains the DTS, but they also have a stripped-down edition (via Netflix), that supposedly has DD 5.1, but only gave me 2 channels-was yours the "special edition"?
post #3609 of 3951 Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

I judge Blu Rays by what I see and hear on rental Blu Rays and decide to buy or not to buy on that basis. Seems not a fair judgement, but taking a test drive via rental is all I have to judge a disk. Unless I really, really want to buy a movie. If I rent a disk and don'e like the picture quality or sound quality, or have to wait a very long time for the disk to load, or don't see any good extras, that's how I judge whether to buy.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #3610 of 3951 Old 08-27-2011, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I found that in the main menu for the 570, under "Audio Settings" that I had the selection for "BD Audio Mix" set to "on"-in that setting the DD signal was only sent in 2 channels (don't forget, I am using a non-HDMI AVR with dig coax from the 570).
When I switched that setting to "off"-voila, now getting the signal in 5.1.
Nothing to do with Anchor Bay, they are still including the lossy DD signal.
Hope this may help others.
post #3611 of 3951 Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quote:

I found that in the main menu for the 570, under "Audio Settings" that I had the selection for "BD Audio Mix" set to "on"-in that setting the DD signal was only sent in 2 channels (don't forget, I am using a non-HDMI AVR with dig coax from the 570).
When I switched that setting to "off"-voila, now getting the signal in 5.1.
Nothing to do with Anchor Bay, they are still including the lossy DD signal.
Hope this may help others.

You are absolutely right. I switched that BD Audio Mix--whatever it is--to off and now I get 5.1 channels via optical on those Anchor Bay discs. Thanks!
post #3612 of 3951 Old 08-28-2011, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have 2 BDP-S570s in the house and am considering getting rid of one of these and replace with an Oppo BDP-93
any idea if the difference would be noticeable? I place importance to DLNA support, 3rd party web services, Netflix streaming quality and picture and audio quality during bluray playback
post #3613 of 3951 Old 08-28-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

I have 2 BDP-S570s in the house and am considering getting rid of one of these and replace with an Oppo BDP-93
any idea if the difference would be noticeable? I place importance to DLNA support, 3rd party web services, Netflix streaming quality and picture and audio quality during bluray playback

I have both. The 570 DLNA support is almost zero, specially for videos. The 93 can stream MKV, MOV,M2TS and few other formats, SD or HD. The hard disk support, however, is what makes the 93 far superior. It plays full ISO files , bluray or DVD, with menus . The local HDD support is probably the best in the market. Oppo will include Pandora soon and the only major video stream not supported is Amazon VOD. Netflix,VUDU and Blockbuster are supported .

The picture quality on Bluray is probably very close between the players. DVD will look better on the Oppo but don't expect a miracle. Audio is better with the Oppo and it supports several codecs locally or through DLNA. Sound quality is also better on the 93.

If all you want is bluray playback and video streaming from Netflix, Amazon and others, I don't see any major improvement with the Oppo. For everything else, don't think twice.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3614 of 3951 Old 08-29-2011, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I have both. The 570 DLNA support is almost zero, specially for videos. The 93 can stream MKV, MOV,M2TS and few other formats, SD or HD. The hard disk support, however, is what makes the 93 far superior. It plays full ISO files , bluray or DVD, with menus . The local HDD support is probably the best in the market. Oppo will include Pandora soon and the only major video stream not supported is Amazon VOD. Netflix,VUDU and Blockbuster are supported .

The picture quality on Bluray is probably very close between the players. DVD will look better on the Oppo but don't expect a miracle. Audio is better with the Oppo and it supports several codecs locally or through DLNA. Sound quality is also better on the 93.

If all you want is bluray playback and video streaming from Netflix, Amazon and others, I don't see any major improvement with the Oppo. For everything else, don't think twice.

thanks for your response.
How is the DLNA support on the Oppo compared to other DVD players, and also other dedicated DLNA devices? One thing I dislike about the 570 is that the DLNA menu is so, 1900s and not convenient. I wish they had come up with a more presentable layer. I guess I Would trust oppo to gradually become more compatible withvarious formats through firmware udpates.
post #3615 of 3951 Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman66 View Post

thanks for your response.
How is the DLNA support on the Oppo compared to other DVD players, and also other dedicated DLNA devices? One thing I dislike about the 570 is that the DLNA menu is so, 1900s and not convenient. I wish they had come up with a more presentable layer. I guess I Would trust oppo to gradually become more compatible withvarious formats through firmware udpates.

DLNA works pretty well on the Oppo. The problem is not all formats are supported because they are not part of the DLNA specs. ISO is supported locally (USB/SATA) but not through DLNA. You can stream a lot of video and audio formats from the PC/Server but not as many as with the local HDD. I still keep mt WDLIVE+ media player to stream DVD ISO from my server, the only thing the Oppo doesn't do.

There are also some features the other BD players normally don't have:

-It plays SACD and DVDA (other players do but cost more).
-With a firmware mod you can buy cheap on EBAY, it plays DVD from any region. It's PAL/NTSC from factory.
-The support is probably the best. Oppo guys do a real good job.
-I clearly feel the sound is better than any other player I had .There is something special with the audio quality.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3616 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For anyone who has gone through the exchange option through Sony, can you please tell me what the turnaround time was from when you sent your unit out to when you got your new unit? Thanks.
post #3617 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
My repair on my still new 570 turned into a nightmare. I sent it off to Laredo after it would not play RIO on bluray. I was told 7-10 business days. The tech finally called me after 3 weeks and was wondering what the problem was? I was then contacted and was told to send the bluray version of RIO in because they couldnt duplicate the problem. I told them that this was unacceptable because the turnaround time had been way over the quoted time. I told them it would be faster for them to go and rent the movie and try it out. They did. lol Rio didnt work in the player, so they kept the player for further testing and are sending me a brand new(not refurb) 580.
post #3618 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezff View Post

My repair on my still new 570 turned into a nightmare. I sent it off to Laredo after it would not play RIO on bluray. I was told 7-10 business days. The tech finally called me after 3 weeks and was wondering what the problem was? I was then contacted and was told to send the bluray version of RIO in because they couldnt duplicate the problem. I told them that this was unacceptable because the turnaround time had been way over the quoted time. I told them it would be faster for them to go and rent the movie and try it out. They did. lol Rio didnt work in the player, so they kept the player for further testing and are sending me a brand new(not refurb) 580.

I read where some people prefer the 570 to the 580. I guess we'll see what you like better. Obviously I'm hoping you like the 580, you went through a fiasco. I sent my player out for exchange, maybe that's the route you should have taken.
post #3619 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post

I read where some people prefer the 570 to the 580. I guess we'll see what you like better. Obviously I'm hoping you like the 580, you went through a fiasco. I sent my player out for exchange, maybe that's the route you should have taken.

why in the world would they prefer the older model?
post #3620 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The older model can do HD out of component (analog Video) the 2011 players can not, if the person has a TV with no HDMI then they can't watch their content in HD with a 2011 model so they need the older model for compatibility.

With that said I've gone through the growing pains of the 570, and at this point I think it's a very solid player. I have no reason to upgrade at this point.
post #3621 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

I think the 580 dropped optical audio also. So I've heard. It could be needed on some older receivers or just because some prefer it. I love my 570 anyhow.
post #3622 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats a no brainer for me. Im not in the select few with a tv without HDMI.
post #3623 of 3951 Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I think the 580 dropped optical audio also. So I've heard. It could be needed on some older receivers or just because some prefer it. I love my 570 anyhow.

I've never used a 2011 sony, but from what I've read and seen in stores the 580 doesn't have too many differences, i've observed a different case design, a few additional services such as vudu, etc, the analog video being dropped etc.

I know in the last couple months the 570 has had services added, and it just got a firmware update. I now have cinema now , vudu might still come later on. I find as I use the technology more, that I just use certain things less, e.g. my preferred streaming seems to be amazon since I have the most content there, dropped netflix streaming and went to disc only, just bought my first cinema now movie, when rio came out, etc. My Magnavox blu-ray player, which is profile 1.1 just got a firmware update, so that's still supported, and that's my main blu-ray player, in the bedroom. I switched to that player when the sony developed the BDLive bug, since BDLive isn't even, an option, it just makes the player more stable, also the latest firmware has increased load times, so it's pretty quick now, depending on the disc, and how much content it needs to load. With the latest firmware update from sony, the 570, is an enjoyable player again as well.

I have vudu on the Panasonic player in the living room, and since 3D isn't an investment for me anytime soon, I've become content with the three players I have. As far as Netflix, I just wasn't using streaming all that much anymore, and with the price increase, just decided, to drop streaming, as it is, i might just cancel it all together, and just either buy the disc, or use my pay as you go services, just so i don't have a monthly bill even if I don't use the service that month.
post #3624 of 3951 Old 08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
The 570 had better wireless reception with dual antennas... the 580 with a single antenna is really bad on a wireless connection...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #3625 of 3951 Old 08-31-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I have two 570s. I'm only getting one replaced. I will only use my 580 for bluray and DVDs.
post #3626 of 3951 Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM

Does anyone else feel that their S570 is behaving erratically? I posted the concern I had with the Iron Man 2 disc earlier in the thread. Problem is still there, even after upgrading to the latest firmware. Here's my other issues; Sometimes I will play a random blu ray and the audio will suddenly cut off for about 2 seconds at the beginning of the movie for no reason. It never did this before. Last night, I tried to play Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the player was not able to read the disc. It just froze for a long time. Pressing the stop and eject button did not do any good. I had to unplug the player. After waiting about 3 minutes or so, I plugged the player back in and the movie played fine. Anyone else having these strange occurrences with their S570? It did get an extended warranty so I am strongly considering sending it back.
post #3627 of 3951 Old 08-31-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman98 View Post

Improvements over firmware version M04.R.752:

Adds the ability to play 3D content using BRAVIA® Internet Video and the Qriocity IPTV service
Note: The availability of services in each country may vary
Adds support for the 3D Experience content using BRAVIA Internet Video
Note: The availability of services in each country may vary
Improves YouTube® connectivity
Adds the ability to play 1080/60p video files produced by Sony® cameras
Improves BD-ROM playability
Improves HDMI® connectivity
Resolves an uncommon issue where the Blu-ray Disc player connects to the Internet even when setting "Do not allow internet connection".

anyone see any "unintended consequences" with this update?
post #3628 of 3951 Old 09-01-2011, 02:46 AM

I've installed this update on my 770 and haven't experienced any issues.
post #3629 of 3951 Old 09-01-2011, 10:04 AM

I'm having an issue with getting wi-fi connection in a timely manner. It can take several minutes for the bluray to get a connected. When I go to netflix is usually says "Connection status cannot be donfirmed. A network error has occurred.

I switched from WEP to WPA, about a month ago without any issues. Then about a couple of weeks ago, the issue started. I just upgraded my FW and that didn't help.

In the network status it shows:
Wireless Connection: OK
Internet Access: FAILED
Signal Strength: 100%
Security: WPA/WPA2-PSK
IP Address Setting: Auto

Any ideas?
post #3630 of 3951 Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Not sure what cause is, but switching to a static IP will definitely speed things up since there is no DHCP to deal with. I ultimately end up putting static IP's on all my A/V devices after encountering problems like yours.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page