post #3661 of 3951 Old 10-02-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

This is off topic. I'm testing Avs mobile app for iPhone. Does this show up?

Yes, I see your post on my Iphone AVS app

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3951 Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks Slimoli.
I actually figured it out.
I formatted the thumbdrive to exFAT and the video file to 1080p .M2TS.
Watched two movies without any hitches and in beautiful HD.

I am transcoding my library to that format now, while waiting for the drive to arrive.
post #3663 of 3951 Old 10-03-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I'm not mistaken, my thumbdrive's a standard FAT32 format. WMV files play and look great on the BDP-S570!

post #3664 of 3951 Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 64
On my S370, I rename my video files with MKV no matter what format they really are. Then they playback perfectly.
post #3665 of 3951 Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Most of my video library is in DivX format and after I started converting them I found a forum that suggests renaming them from .avi to .mpg and they play fine on my player. Apparently even though only canadian models support Divx the ability to play them is in all units just not "activated" so to speak in the USA models. Renaming them is a heck of a lot faster then converting over 200gigs of video.

Hope this helps.
post #3666 of 3951 Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 PM

I just had Geek Squad hook up my S570 to a new Pioneer SC-35. The Geek squad guy said that the S570 would only put out signal to the receiver as PCM. Later....I went into the setup myself for the S570 and set the Audio(HDMI) to Auto.....but still the only output I get is PCM. Is this working as intended?
post #3667 of 3951 Old 10-12-2011, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmSpruance View Post

I just had Geek Squad hook up my S570 to a new Pioneer SC-35. The Geek squad guy said that the S570 would only put out signal to the receiver as PCM. Later....I went into the setup myself for the S570 and set the Audio(HDMI) to Auto.....but still the only output I get is PCM. Is this working as intended?

No, unless your only content is 2ch stereo.

In Audio, set Audio mix and DTS Neo:6 to OFF. I think the mix is what is causing the problem. Play a Blu-ray and you should get what's on the sound track, like DTS-MA, and turn off the BR director's commentary. Nice AVR.
post #3668 of 3951 Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I set the Audio Mix and DTS Neo:6 to off and the S570 bitstreams DTS-MA perfectly!
post #3669 of 3951 Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmSpruance View Post

Thanks so much for your help. I set the Audio Mix and DTS Neo:6 to off and the S570 bitstreams DTS-MA perfectly!

Is there any particular reason you want it to bitstream versus decode internally and send PCM? Other than getting the indicator on my receiver turning on, there isn't any difference. And with various players I've actually had some lip sync issues when I don't decode in the player.
post #3670 of 3951 Old 10-16-2011, 08:07 PM

arbeck77...there are a few reasons that I want to bitstream from my s570 BD player. Most importantly I just purchased a new Pioneer Elite SC-35 receiver and I want to hear the difference between bitstream and PSM for myself. Also...my receiver has several advanced surround sound formats for DTS, Dolby Digital and THX suround music/cinema/game modes and Im not sure if they work with PCM.

I just want to explore the full potential of my receiver and hear what works best for my home music/theatre experience.
post #3671 of 3951 Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post

On my S370, I rename my video files with MKV no matter what format they really are. Then they playback perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire8ird View Post

Most of my video library is in DivX format and after I started converting them I found a forum that suggests renaming them from .avi to .mpg and they play fine on my player. Apparently even though only canadian models support Divx the ability to play them is in all units just not "activated" so to speak in the USA models. Renaming them is a heck of a lot faster then converting over 200gigs of video.

Hope this helps.

Awesome find guys! Thanks! Not only do most of my files, including Divx, play on my US player after renaming, but also work from my Serviio DLNA server. All I did was add ".mkv" to the end of mine, leaving ".avi" in the file name so I could tell what they really were. To play locally, I use VLC media player which plays them regardless of the file extension.
post #3672 of 3951 Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM

.mkv doesn't work with my WD MyBook Live 3TB.

I'm running the latest firmware
post #3673 of 3951 Old 10-26-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Last I heard only FAT32 works, and drive needs external power. Or you could plug your drive into a PC and access content on the sony via DLNA.
post #3674 of 3951 Old 10-27-2011, 05:41 PM

I am missing the icons that were under the video and music sections on the home page. They included netflix and hulu in the video section and slacker and pandora in the music section. There were they one day and gone the next time I turned the player on. I have called the tech people at sony more than once.
They had me try a factory reset and power reset, but nothing has resolved the issue. They now suggest that I send it back to the factory repair facility. It is under warranty, but of course I can't find the sales receipt. Any suggestions on how to get the icons back.
post #3675 of 3951 Old 10-27-2011, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccoon10 View Post

I am missing the icons that were under the video and music sections on the home page. They included netflix and hulu in the video section and slacker and pandora in the music section. There were they one day and gone the next time I turned the player on. I have called the tech people at sony more than once.
They had me try a factory reset and power reset, but nothing has resolved the issue. They now suggest that I send it back to the factory repair facility. It is under warranty, but of course I can't find the sales receipt. Any suggestions on how to get the icons back.

I shall assume that all network tests have passed, your firmware is up to date, and you have M04.R.767 software.

If so, you should send it back. They can give you an RMA without the receipt.

First time I have ever heard of this problem. Cosmic rays?
post #3676 of 3951 Old 11-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Hi All,

Been using BDP-BX57 for about a year now. We've been using it in conjunction with a DIR-655 wireless router with no issues during that time. Recently the DIR starting giving us fits, and since we're an all Mac household we decided to make the switch to the latest gen (MD031LL/A, 5th Gen) Apple Airport Extreme.

Unfortunately we cannot seem to get the BX57 to play nice with the Airport Extreme. The BX57 picks up the signal, but won't connect. Tried auto-connecting. No luck. Then tried manually entering the SSID and set up a specific IP address for the BX57 in the Airport settings, and still no luck.

Have double checked to be sure the password is correct. The BX57 has the latest drivers from Sony, and the Airport Extreme has the latest drivers as well. The DIR-655 continues to work just fine (when it works that is).

Every other device in the house connects to the Airport Extreme without any problems. Just can't get the BX57 to do so.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any advice at all would be welcome.

Thanks!
post #3677 of 3951 Old 11-07-2011, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centient View Post

Hi All,

Been using BDP-BX57 for about a year now. We've been using it in conjunction with a DIR-655 wireless router with no issues during that time. Recently the DIR starting giving us fits, and since we're an all Mac household we decided to make the switch to the latest gen (MD031LL/A, 5th Gen) Apple Airport Extreme.

Unfortunately we cannot seem to get the BX57 to play nice with the Airport Extreme. The BX57 picks up the signal, but won't connect. Tried auto-connecting. No luck. Then tried manually entering the SSID and set up a specific IP address for the BX57 in the Airport settings, and still no luck.

Have double checked to be sure the password is correct. The BX57 has the latest drivers from Sony, and the Airport Extreme has the latest drivers as well. The DIR-655 continues to work just fine (when it works that is).

Every other device in the house connects to the Airport Extreme without any problems. Just can't get the BX57 to do so.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any advice at all would be welcome.

Thanks!

Free download of TVMOBILY here: http://www.tvmobili.com/watch.php

Works great with Apple IOS 5.
post #3678 of 3951 Old 11-07-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Free download of TVMOBILY here: http://www.tvmobili.com/watch.php

Works great with Apple IOS 5.

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard of, but am not familiar with this product or how it addresses my my problem with the Airport Extreme. Would you mind elaborating a bit?

Thanks.
post #3679 of 3951 Old 11-07-2011, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a DLNA server that, in my experience, works poorly with sony. Serviio streams many more file types and is free. Neither addresses your connection problem, but THIS might.
post #3680 of 3951 Old 11-07-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Perhaps it works poorly with Windows. It seems to be optimize for Apple.
post #3681 of 3951 Old 11-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

It's a DLNA server that, in my experience, works poorly with sony. Serviio streams many more file types and is free. Neither addresses your connection problem, but THIS might.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll take a look at both DLNA services.

Appreciate the link as well. Unfortunately that's the best/closest match to my question that I could find as well, and I went through those steps yesterday with no luck.

Was hoping for an easy fix, but looks like I might have to roll up the sleeves so to speak.
post #3682 of 3951 Old 11-12-2011, 06:07 AM

Anyone playing any 3D disk? How do they look (window or pop-out)?
post #3683 of 3951 Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 PM

I have the bdp bx57 version from Costco but is there some kind of internet browser that can be used with this blu-ray. I cant seem to find anything in the menu that just lets you browse the internet. thanks for anyone's help.
post #3684 of 3951 Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmind View Post

I have the bdp bx57 version from Costco but is there some kind of internet browser that can be used with this blu-ray. I cant seem to find anything in the menu that just lets you browse the internet. thanks for anyone's help.

No, the items on the menu are all there is.
post #3685 of 3951 Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I haven't posted in a while, because everything has been rock solid with all my players, of all the brands I have. I mainly dropped by to ask if blu-ray is finally mature enough this point to not demand hardware upgrades as long as the current devices are working. With the exception of 3D, which is not a planned investment for me any time soon, is 2D blu-ray technology pretty stable now?, Everything i've used lately suggests so, but I figured i'd get some feedback as well.

Thanks
post #3686 of 3951 Old 12-18-2011, 04:28 PM

Feel free to point me to another thread if this has already been asked.

I'm enjoying the free Amazon Prime movies through the s570 but the search feature is terrible! You have to enter in the keywords using a numeric menu like old 'A3' (?) cell-phone texts.

Why didn't sony use a standard on-screen alphabet entry system?!

This is painful enough, but the Sony doesn't remember previous searches, so you have to re-enter the name of the show each time you watch.

It doesn't appear possible to add free Prime videos to your Library which would be an acceptable alternative.

- Do the newer Sony models still use the numeric keys to enter search strings?

- Is there an easier way to search for things or look for previously searched items that I'm missing?

Thanks for any help!

(On a totally different note to answer someone's question. This player does great with 3D even though it was one of the first 3D players available. It doesn't default to 3D so you have find the menu option to enable it. Stumped me for a long time!)
post #3687 of 3951 Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone had any luck playing import "all region" blu-rays on the 570 and sibling players?

I tried the UK "all region" BDs of "Strike Back" (the first series of the Cinemax series that wasn't on TV here) and it failed to play. I've seen some mention in other forums about it not playing on "some" Sony players, but nothing definitive.

thx.
post #3688 of 3951 Old 12-23-2011, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Hi, I usually don't have issues with anything I use in my setup these days, however I seem to be having an issue with CinemaNow on the 570, for the most part It works as expected, the problem I have is when i watch content on a different cinema now enabled device and go back to the sony, i'll get DRM errors, and the content refuses to play. The main title i'm having this issue with is the HD transformers rental for transformers 3. If anyone can help me get around this issue I would appreciate it thanks.

BTW the other device i use with cinema now is also a blu-ray player but panasonic. It doesn't have the issues the sony does with online streaming.

I've tried a restart of both the sony device itself, and the movie itself instead of a resume, neither seem to have resolved the issue.
post #3689 of 3951 Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma. I need to record Anderson on Monday, because my dogs and myself will be featured in a segment on the show. (See the videos!) However, we canceled cable in favor of watching TV over the internet and OTA. Therefore I have no DVR and I do not have Tivo.

I have a Sony BDP-S570 Blu-Ray player. I am thinking there might be a way to record the show in HD through that. I did a search and did not find much about recording TV onto this Blu-Ray player.

If there is a way to do this, How do I do it? What do I need?

Currently I have the Blu-Ray hooked-up with an HDMI cable to my Vizio VW32L TV.

I also have a Sony HD Handycam HDR-CX110 and I was thinking I could record the show on this, but I am unsure.

Your help would be much appreciated by myself and my dogs. If I can't use the Blu-Ray player or camcorder, and you recommend buying equipment or using other devices, please email me asap (adamsautoadvice@gmail.com).

Happy Holidays & Happy New Year!
-Cody, Sierra, and Adam

post #3690 of 3951 Old 12-24-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
I bought a refurbished 570 several months ago directly from Sony. It doesn't turn on half the time and even then skips two thirds through every BD I've tried, sometimes just "sticking" and freezing and unresponsive. I got so sick of it I bought an Oppo 93 which works flawlessly. Sorry to be a downer and I'm sure most work as advertised.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page