Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 126 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 3951 Old 02-06-2012, 08:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a BDP-S570 Running M04.R.787., I am also using a VSX-1021-k, when i play a b-ray disc i get only the background(the effects track) I am using the receiver as a 5.1 system. I have used it with another b-ray player a PS3 works 100% every time. After a long time trouble shooting and arguing with tech support i finally sent out and received a referb back (yay :-/) with the older firmware. Everything worked and it passed the main channel on the first try. I was going to try it again and they it started rebooting and freezing on me. I sent it back and received another refeb, but this time had the same firmware as my original. First time it went back to paying the 2nd audio track. They are going to send me a new one (i am guessing with again the newer firmware).

1. Has anyone else experienced this ?

2. I would like to try loading the old firmware to this machine, Does anyone have the previous version to M04.R.787 saved and send it to me?

Please any advise on this would be so helpful... i do not want to have to deal with Sony again on this, i am at my limit.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs17 View Post

I have a BDP-S570 Running M04.R.787., I am also using a VSX-1021-k, when i play a b-ray disc i get only the background(the effects track) I am using the receiver as a 5.1 system. I have used it with another b-ray player a PS3 works 100% every time. After a long time trouble shooting and arguing with tech support i finally sent out and received a referb back (yay :-/) with the older firmware. Everything worked and it passed the main channel on the first try. I was going to try it again and they it started rebooting and freezing on me. I sent it back and received another refeb, but this time had the same firmware as my original. First time it went back to paying the 2nd audio track. They are going to send me a new one (i am guessing with again the newer firmware).

1. Has anyone else experienced this ?

2. I would like to try loading the old firmware to this machine, Does anyone have the previous version to M04.R.787 saved and send it to me?

Please any advise on this would be so helpful... i do not want to have to deal with Sony again on this, i am at my limit.

Dan

My only saved file is R.491 from 2010. But email me on gmail.com if you want it. You are hoping the unit will permit a lower version to be loaded.
post #3753 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 379
FWIW, I've never been able to load an old firmware on Sony or any other brand for that matter except Insignia.
post #3754 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

One thing you can do search-wise is use an iPod or iPad keyboard via sony's remote app. That works very well. I agree using the remote for searches is pretty cumbersome.

Do they have a remote app for the PC I can run on my laptop? Thanks Bob
post #3755 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Do they have a remote app for the PC I can run on my laptop? Thanks Bob

No, but you could probably write your own like we did for panasonic. It's just a web page. But it would be a lot of work to reverse engineer the app and get the command syntax. It's possible someone has already done it. I haven't searched to find out. You could possibly do something with Girder as well.

If you're going to use your laptop anyway, why not just do searches there, add to your favorites, then playback on the sony?
post #3756 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:

If you're going to use your laptop anyway, why not just do searches there, add to your favorites, then playback on the sony?

I am not following, I can search on my laptop, add to my favorites, how do I then playback on the Sony? Does the Sony have access to the favorites on my laptop? Thanks Bob
post #3757 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am not following, I can search on my laptop, add to my favorites, how do I then playback on the Sony? Does the Sony have access to the favorites on my laptop? Thanks Bob

If your laptop is running Windows, and Windows Media Player was used to rip the CD, then the Sony should show it under the music column when you select Windows Media.

A lot of "ifs" there. The laptop would need to be a DNLA server, and the S570 is a DNLA client.
post #3758 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM

I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem we are with Netflix and the BD-570. When you have a title for example "Cheers". Each year has 22 or so episodes. When you watch an episode the displays grays out the number of the episode so you know which one was the last watched when you start again.
Last week everythinbg was grayed out on everything in Cheers as well as other shows that we never started watching. You can of course watch them but you can't see the last episode wtached for future reference.
I called Netflix and they said they updated the software last week, many people have called to complain and to call Sony, they have the update. I called Sony who said they didn't and suggested I keep track with a piece of paper and a pen!!!
Anyone have this problem yet?
post #3759 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Need more info. Recent posts were about youtube searches, so I assumed you were talking about that as well. IIRC, sony lets you log into your youtube account and access favorites, so anything added there would be accessible via the sony app. Other apps will work differently. So exactly what streaming app are you using and what is your goal?
post #3760 of 3951 Old 02-07-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario View Post

I am wondering if anyone else is having the same problem we are with Netflix and the BD-570. When you have a title for example "Cheers". Each year has 22 or so episodes. When you watch an episode the displays grays out the number of the episode so you know which one was the last watched when you start again.
Last week everythinbg was grayed out on everything in Cheers as well as other shows that we never started watching. You can of course watch them but you can't see the last episode wtached for future reference.
I called Netflix and they said they updated the software last week, many people have called to complain and to call Sony, they have the update. I called Sony who said they didn't and suggested I keep track with a piece of paper and a pen!!!
Anyone have this problem yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Yes, I am having the same problem. I find that I either have to write down the last episode I watched or use my Iphone app to show what the last episode was that I watched.

This is being reported everywhere, so it's a Netflix problem, not a sony problem. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. Netflix simply broke that feature or lost the data.
post #3761 of 3951 Old 02-08-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:

Need more info. Recent posts were about youtube searches, so I assumed you were talking about that as well. IIRC, sony lets you log into your youtube account and access favorites, so anything added there would be accessible via the sony app. Other apps will work differently. So exactly what streaming app are you using and what is your goal?

I understand now thanks Bob
post #3762 of 3951 Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:

This is being reported everywhere, so it's a Netflix problem, not a sony problem. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about it. Netflix simply broke that feature or lost the data.

I talked to Netflix again last night. They said they are aware of the problem and both they and Sony are working on a solution.
They also requested that everyone who is having an issue to call Netflix because they are tracking it to see how widespread it is.
post #3763 of 3951 Old 02-11-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I just thought I'd share some experience I've had lately that's not specific to this unit alone. I decided to drop cable and go with verizon wireless (my phone provider) for 4G internet. I am pleasantly surprised that online streaming still works flawlessly. I just can't watch as much because of cellular having data caps.

I have a cell phone sized mifi mobile hotspot and i get between 10 and 20Mbps down and 5Mbps up, with a 10 GB data cap per month.

For my sony 570, wifi is able to connect directly to the mifi hotspot without issues, for the panasonic 85, having sold the wifi adapter I share internet from the computer's wireless over ethernet to the airport extreme base station so i now get a very solid wired connection. I thought i'd pass this on if anyone here is considering mobile internet service, so far i've been quite satisfied with the results I've gotten. Best of all is i can take my internet where ever I go now. so i can be online anywhere now.
post #3764 of 3951 Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 AM

Okay here is the situation: I have a Netgear wireless router with a 1.5tb USB drive (NTFS format....continue reading before you start telling me about the Fat32 requirement) where I park all my video files. (plus a lot of other stuff like pictures and music and backups, etc. etc.)

I have a sony bdp-s570 player THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO SEE ALL THE VIDEO FILES ON THE DRIVE DESCRIBED ABOVE. As of the last couple of weeks, the bdp-s570 does NOT see all video files. I cannot see any rhyme or reason as to which ones it no longer sees. It's not always the newest, or oldest or any particular video file type. It just sees maybe 20% of the filenames.

I connect to the 5ghz wifi signal of the router with the blu-ray player...its the only thing in the house that uses that signal.

Now here's the funny part. I have a sony playstation 3 hooked up to the same TV (and it uses the 2.4ghz wifi signal). THE SONY PLAYSTATION SEES ALL THE FILES ON THE NTFS DRIVE JUST FINE, JUST LIKE THE BLUE-RAY PLAYER USED TO. It can play those files just fine, without a hitch.

I have already tried resetting both the router and the bdp-s570 all the way back to factory specs. I have taken the drive off the router and run error-check/fix utilities on it.

I don't want to abandon the NTFS format on the drive because a lot of my files are well over 4gb in size....

I am just trying to figure out what might have changed on the s570 that caused it to stop seeing my video collection correctly/completely.

Could it be a firmware update? If so, how do I rollback?

Any ideas? Thanks!
post #3765 of 3951 Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 AM

...started looking at the Netgear website and found their last firmware upgrade appeared about 1/8/2012....am wondering if the router is somehow saying something different to the s570 which is causing the problem. Will try a router rollback tonight and see if that changes anything.
post #3766 of 3951 Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM

Okay. I solved this myself. Perhaps this info will be of help to someone else: It appears that you CAN use an NTFS drive with video files with the Sony bdp-s570 _IF_ you are using it through a wireless router (in my case the Netgear WNDR4000). It appears to work fine with firmware up to V1.0.0.82_8.0.71 If you have the router set to automatic update and go beyond that version, you may not get complete cataloging/access to your video files. At least that's what happened to me.
post #3767 of 3951 Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

I have this player but haven't been using it much. Does this player support 3D BD disks yet (or will it ever)? Has DLNA support gotten any better?
post #3768 of 3951 Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsliker View Post

Okay. I solved this myself. Perhaps this info will be of help to someone else: It appears that you CAN use an NTFS drive with video files with the Sony bdp-s570 _IF_ you are using it through a wireless router (in my case the Netgear WNDR4000). It appears to work fine with firmware up to V1.0.0.82_8.0.71 If you have the router set to automatic update and go beyond that version, you may not get complete cataloging/access to your video files. At least that's what happened to me.

NTFS doesn't work with local disks. If you are using the network (DLNA), it doesn't matter because the access is done by the server, not the player.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3769 of 3951 Old 02-18-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

I have this player but haven't been using it much. Does this player support 3D BD disks yet (or will it ever)? Has DLNA support gotten any better?

3D Bluray disks ? Absolutely. DLNA support getting better ? Absolutely not.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #3770 of 3951 Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 PM

Ok here's my problem. I have the 570 and everything works great except Amazon streaming. I have a netgear wnr834b router. If I hook the 570 directly to the cable modem it plays fine. If it goes thru router wired or wireless it will not start. I tell it to play the movie, it tries to load, but I just get the spinning wheel in the upper right corner, then after a few minutes it goes back to the previous screen to select play hd or play sd.

Factory reset did not help.

MAC address on sony is 78:84:3c:83:40:51 with ip address 192.168.1.12 and default gateway 192.168.1.1.

netgear MAC address 00:22:3f:8f:6c:a0 and ip 192.168.1.4
post #3771 of 3951 Old 02-19-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post

Ok here's my problem. I have the 570 and everything works great except Amazon streaming. I have a netgear wnr834b router. If I hook the 570 directly to the cable modem it plays fine. If it goes thru router wired or wireless it will not start. I tell it to play the movie, it tries to load, but I just get the spinning wheel in the upper right corner, then after a few minutes it goes back to the previous screen to select play hd or play sd.

Factory reset did not help.

MAC address on sony is 78:84:3c:83:40:51 with ip address 192.168.1.12 and default gateway 192.168.1.1.

netgear MAC address 00:22:3f:8f:6c:a0 and ip 192.168.1.4

Only Amazon? That means Pandora, WMP DNLA, etc, all work ok?
post #3772 of 3951 Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM

yes, including netflix.all other services work fine just amazon. i have spent hours on the phone with them. it only works if i connect directly to cable modem
post #3773 of 3951 Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miztrniceguy View Post

yes, including netflix.all other services work fine just amazon. i have spent hours on the phone with them. it only works if i connect directly to cable modem

Sorry. I use my WNDR4000 several times to access Amazon video services. Never had a problem. If Amazon or Sony can't help, they are better than I am.
post #3774 of 3951 Old 02-19-2012, 01:22 PM

thank you. has to be something with router, cuz it works otherwise.
post #3775 of 3951 Old 02-20-2012, 09:18 AM

I'm new to this group solely because the loud buzzing my s570 has become unbearable and I can see that others in this group have the same issue. Is there a fix for the issue? If not, it will be bye bye Sony. Just got a Panny 210 and it is extremely quiet.
post #3776 of 3951 Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Hey guys. I have the Sony BDP-BX57 3D ready player, which I heard was basically a rebadged S570? I also have a Sony BDP-S380.

I got an 8gig Sandisk Thumb Drive which was Fat32 formatted. However, I'm a Mac user. I wasn't able to get the Sony S380 to read the TD so I did some research. I gathered that it had something to do with the way the TD was formatted as Fat32 and to try formatting it as an NTFS. So I found an NTFS Program for my Mac (because Mac's can't read NTFS) reformatted the TD to NTFS, put some avi and mkv files onto it, and watched them from the front USB port of my S380 no problem! I was quite pleased.

But I then took that same TD upstairs to my BX57/S570 to watch it, and the player told me that it wasn't recognized. Not that the FILES weren't readable, but that the TD wasn't recognized. I tried the rear port too with no luck.

So, I took the TD down to the S380, put the TD, and read it no problem. So, why would the TB be readable on the S380 but not the S570... especially if the S570 is supposed to be a higher end BR player "on paper"?

Most importantly... what the heck am I to do about this??? Surely different "brand name" flash drives have nothing to do with it? If that's the case, that will be a giant drag. What about USB hard drives? Why would the S380 want NTFS formatted drives, but the 570 want FAT32? That could be the case, I don't know. But that is silly if so.

I'm pretty sure my S570 has the latest firmware because I check that regularly. Just in case... does anyone know off hand what the latest FW should be?

EDIT: After spending WAY too much time researching this, I've learned that the BX57/S570 at one time only supported FAT32. Perhaps it still does? But I didn't see any updates avail for it, so I'm guessing they haven't fixed this. If Sony has to pay Microsoft for the use of the NTFS format, then clearly they have done so already because my S380 plays my NTFS formatted TD just fine. So it seems we're waiting on firmware to allow us to be able to do that then?? I can't believe that I have to buy another TD and format as FAT32, which is limited to 4gigs just to use for that particular BR Player.

Thanks guys!

Jason
post #3777 of 3951 Old 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Although the 570 is a higher end model with more features than the 380, it's a generation older and doesn't recognize NTFS like the newer 380 as you discovered. So you'll have to get FAT32 working if you want to use your drive in both. I can't think of any technical reason it wouldn't work. Have you considered using DLNA instead?

No new firmwares for the 570 have come out in quite a while. The version depends on the hardware version of your player since there are a couple of different ones. HERE's how to check. In any case the latest does NOT add NTFS support. Since the x70 series is now 3 generations old, I don't expect any new features.
post #3778 of 3951 Old 03-11-2012, 02:54 PM

Liked: 11
If my receiver doesn't do hdmi 1.4 can the 570 output video over hdmi to the tv and audio over optical to the receiver?

If so, what are the settings to do this?
post #3779 of 3951 Old 03-11-2012, 05:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokilarry View Post

Yes it can. It will work without changing any settings. However, you will want to make sure Dolby Digital (coaxial/optical) is set to Dolby Digital and DTS (coaxial/optical) is set to DTS. These are all under Setup/audio settings.

Ok so basically those outputs are always on
post #3780 of 3951 Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Is anyone having issues with HBO's Game of Thrones? When I insert the disc, the player freezes up. It does not go to any menu, the screen is blank and the display just shows 00:00:00... I have to unplug the power cord to eject the disc.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page