Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There was a software update for the player this morning, version 491 from 473. I don't see 491 one the website yet, so not sure what was updated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howie411 View Post

There was a software update for the player this morning, version 491 from 473. I don't see 491 one the website yet, so not sure what was updated.

I saw that this morning as well. I went ahead and updated and then went online to their chat support ... (I know I got the order of those backwards) ...

I was chatting with Jessica and she knew nothing of the update. Finally she found that there was a release but couldn't find anything on what it addressed. She said it would be posted on the product support page in 2-3 business days. On a side note, don't you just love working for a company that releases something like the 570 with only 1/2 the function it is advertised to have, then when the release a firmware update, they do so without alerting the people who help with technical support? Sometimes large corps. just kill me in that the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing ...

BTW - I'm not complaining about the s570 as I love it, I'm just saying that I feel sorry for the lowly tech support people who have to put up with people like me when their company keeps them in the dark.
post #363 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 01:12 PM

On Sony blu ray discs, it says enter 7669 at the main menu to bring up the calibration menu. Does anyone know how to access it on this Model? There are plenty of directions on how to do this with a PS3, but I cant get it to work on this player.
post #364 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I think I tested everything, nothing new. Probably some bug fixes.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #365 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 06:24 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWhite View Post

How's your broadband download speed?

Should be fine since I've had zero issues with my PS3, TivoHD, and former Panasonic BDP85k. If I can't get this figured out, I'm going to have to swap back to the Panasonic. Everything worked great with that player. Just thought I'd enjoy the even faster speed of the Sony.
post #366 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

It sounds like your player is connected to the internet properly since if it wasn't, the player wouldn't get software notification or even access the Netflix service at all. You can check to see if the player is connected to your router properly by going to [setup][network settings][network connection diagnostics] and also by checking under [setup][network settings][internet settings][view network status].

Do you have trouble getting other, non-Netflix internet video content through the player?

Yes, I've checked both status screens and both report everything being ok. I'm having problems accessing every internet connected content. When I first try to access, it goes through a screen that says it is gathering content or something and takes forever. Then it will allow to access whatever content I'm trying to get to (Netflix, Amazon, etc...), but then takes forever to load that content (if it works at all). Sometimes it will all just error out!

Very odd. Any ideas? Help?
post #367 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Can you connect the player with an ethernet cord to your router? That would allow you to see if your connectivity problems occur over wireless or wired or both.
post #368 of 3951 Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Is anyone using analog 2 channel on this unit and could give some impressions of how the sound quality is?
Thanks, Bob
post #369 of 3951 Old 05-19-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:

I note a new video service.... Quriosity. Looks expensive.

JWhite
post #370 of 3951 Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWhite View Post

I note a new video service.... Quriosity. Looks expensive.

It's been there since the last update. Very expensive, very limited, picture quality not great. Forget about it.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #371 of 3951 Old 05-19-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg3020 View Post

Sorry but what is NR? and how do i check it if they all set to off?

I think i found the output resolution, i tried 1020p but its not supported coz my tv is only 720p. I havent tried to use the upscaling on my avr, need to look how to do that. Again thank you, I watch some regular dvd last nite and it was really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

meg:

Your Pioneer does NOT support HDMI source upscalling. Set the 570 to scale to 720 or 1080p and see which looks better. Also FYI until the 2010 models come out all PIONEER Receivers with HDMI do NOT SCALE any HDMI sources, they only scale analog/component sources (that is all including but not limited to the Elite SC series through the 09TX).

Also - while I doubt you are using SACD - your 1018 does NOT support DSD direct. Keep that feature OFF.

All, thanks for all your help and suggestions. Still could not figure out what is NR? thanks.

New to Audio/Video
post #372 of 3951 Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...86&mdl=BDPS570

Here is the link to what 491 changed. Looks like nothing major, just bugs like what was speculated earlier.
post #373 of 3951 Old 05-19-2010, 10:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg3020 View Post

All, thanks for all your help and suggestions. Still could not figure out what is NR? thanks.

Noise Reduction
post #374 of 3951 Old 05-20-2010, 06:49 PM

I just got the 491 firmware from 5/18/2010 and still no luck on the choppy Netflix streaming using the BDP-S570. So, I decided to shoot an email to Sony Tech Support (with a link to this thread) and called Netflix to complain there as well.

Surprisingly, the Netflix representative I spoke with was very proactive and even asked for the specific model number of the unit to note the complaint. I suspect that Sony, left to their own devices, would drag their feet in relation to the choppy video unless pressured by Netflix to correct it. After all, Netflix looks bad when their movies do. And again, there seemed like there was real interest on the Netflix front in terms of reaching out to and working with Sony to correct the poor video quality.

So, I'd suggest people who are seeing problems with the Netflix streaming contact both Netflix and Sony, but especially Netflix.

Netflix: 1-866-716-0414
post #375 of 3951 Old 05-21-2010, 06:56 AM
Advanced Member

Funkybot,

Thanks for your comments about lack of Netflix improvements after firmware version 4.91. I was wondering if 4.91 made Netflix any better.
Right now I have both Panasonic 85K and Sony S570 at home. I have only hooked up Panasonic 85K. I am using wired network. I have been very happy with Netflix, SD, HD Video quality.

I love the fast speed, IPhone app, future DLNA, future 3D support of Sony. However Netflix was the main reason for me to buy my second Blu-Ray player so I will return the Sony.

Panny will never have DLNA and will be slower but every feature it does have works great.

I am going to take Sony back to Costco and keep the Panny.
post #376 of 3951 Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM

I'm looking to purchase my first blue-ray player, and am considering the Sony BDP-S570.

I'm planning to connect it via HDMI to my Toshiba 40XV645U television, which is supposed to be HDCP compliant.

Thing is, my current DVD collection includes a number of discs I had transferred from things like old Super-8 home movies and other personal stuff - no encryption, DRM, or region coding on these.

Is this likely to be an issue? I ask because there's a review posted (05/12/2010) at the Sony website from someone who had trouble playing some material over HDMI to a "non-HDCP" device . . . but aren't all devices with an HDMI conncector HDCP compliant?

Here's the review ("Buyer Beware") - the guy was pretty upset:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666077660'

So my question is . . . will the S570 play my own, homemade DVDs over the HDMI connection to my TV?
post #377 of 3951 Old 05-21-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehateme View Post

Funkybot,

Thanks for your comments about lack of Netflix improvements after firmware version 4.91. I was wondering if 4.91 made Netflix any better.
Right now I have both Panasonic 85K and Sony S570 at home. I have only hooked up Panasonic 85K. I am using wired network. I have been very happy with Netflix, SD, HD Video quality.

I love the fast speed, IPhone app, future DLNA, future 3D support of Sony. However Netflix was the main reason for me to buy my second Blu-Ray player so I will return the Sony.

Panny will never have DLNA and will be slower but every feature it does have works great.

I am going to take Sony back to Costco and keep the Panny.

I'm in a similar situation to you. I actually had the Panasonic 85k and thought it worked very well with basically zero problems. I decided to try out the Sony 570 and found the Netflix quality to be very poor against the Panasonic (or my TivoHD). Plus the implementation of the internet content on the Sony is bizarre in that whenever you try to access something it goes through a screen of "loading content" before you can even open an internet app. So, for me, the Sony was faster, but the quality of the picture and sound is the same as the Panasonic and the internet app implementation is better on the Panasonic. Today I'm doing another exchange to go back to the Panasonic and stay there.
post #378 of 3951 Old 05-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Ordered from jr.com, got this yesterday, upgraded to the new F/W 491,sadly this doesnt support network streaming yet, wont play Avi/Divx (all my home collection is based off this)...Haven't tried netlfix, youtube is ok. Wondering if i should return it and go for LGBD570...
One thing I noticed is youtube or other internet based content doesn't buffer that much probably because of the built-in memory (as compared to my LG42 LHG50 TV which has netflix,vudu,youtube but buffers quite a bit sometimes)...
post #379 of 3951 Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank B View Post

So my question is . . . will the S570 play my own, homemade DVDs over the HDMI connection to my TV?

Oh damn, don't tell me this is true? I read the review from that angry guy at the Sonystyle website. I have about 20 homemade dvd's, however, I haven't tried playing them on the 570. I'm afraid to. They did play on my S350 though. Anyone else have problems playing homemade DVD's on this unit?
post #380 of 3951 Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post

I just got the 491 firmware from 5/18/2010 and still no luck on the choppy Netflix streaming using the BDP-S570. So, I decided to shoot an email to Sony Tech Support (with a link to this thread) and called Netflix to complain there as well.

Surprisingly, the Netflix representative I spoke with was very proactive and even asked for the specific model number of the unit to note the complaint. I suspect that Sony, left to their own devices, would drag their feet in relation to the choppy video unless pressured by Netflix to correct it. After all, Netflix looks bad when their movies do. And again, there seemed like there was real interest on the Netflix front in terms of reaching out to and working with Sony to correct the poor video quality.

So, I'd suggest people who are seeing problems with the Netflix streaming contact both Netflix and Sony, but especially Netflix.

Netflix: 1-866-716-0414

I'm surprised you have Netflix issues, I've watched over 20 streaming movies/tv shows so far and never had any problems. Using the 5ghz band from my dual band netgear router, though the router is also in the same room as the player so I'm sure that helps.
post #381 of 3951 Old 05-23-2010, 07:29 AM

I have developed an issue after the firmware version 4.91 update. It seems as though I have lost Dolby 5.1 through the HDMI output.

I have my system wired through the HDMI to my 52V5100 sony tv then out the optical to my Onkyo Receiver. 3 days ago while playing Avatar or Star Trek I was getting 5.1 dolby surround. Now after the update for some reason I can only get PCM to the Receiver.

I have tried dam near every sound setting in the Blu-ray player menu and still no go. I have tried different HDMI cables and inputs to TV...no go. If I use optical directly from the Blu-ray to the Receiver I get the 5.1 sound but not though HDMI. The Cable box, Xbox, and HD camcorder still pass 5.1 through the tv to the receiver so it's not the TV.

Has anyone else noticed this? You would have to have HDMI out to TV and optical out from tv to AV receiver to see it.

Thanks,

D-Rock
post #382 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthekid View Post

Ordered from jr.com, got this yesterday, upgraded to the new F/W 491,sadly this doesnt support network streaming yet, wont play Avi/Divx (all my home collection is based off this)...Haven't tried netlfix, youtube is ok. Wondering if i should return it and go for LGBD570...
One thing I noticed is youtube or other internet based content doesn't buffer that much probably because of the built-in memory (as compared to my LG42 LHG50 TV which has netflix,vudu,youtube but buffers quite a bit sometimes)...

Do your research before considering the LG players. They have a 90 day warranty and have some serious drive issues, typically occurring after the warranty period. It costs $70 to fix a LG drive.
post #383 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 AM

I recently bought a BDP-S570 and I have a Pioneer 780p plasma TV. Do I connect the player as 1080i or 780p. I see a couple of choices in the blu-ray set up menu. Thx
post #384 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorpheus View Post

I just picked up this player at BB today (last one on the shelf). So far, I have found only one minor annoyance: the player makes a constant high-pitched whining noise when a disk is in, even if the movie is not playing. There is no noise if the player is empty. Has anyone else noticed this? All functionality works great, though!

I'm hearing this too. Anyone else? Would you suggest I exchange this for another player?
post #385 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

meerasant,

I recommend setting the output of the bluray player to equal the native resolution of your TV...less processing of the signal.
post #386 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I asked this question over on the LG forum, but noone will answer me, so thought I'd try here.
I'm looking to upgrade my current Panasonic BD-35 Blu-Ray player. I'm looking for one that not only does a good job with Blu-Ray playback, but also a great job of upconverting standard DVD's. BTW, I don't need network capability. Would the S570 be a good choice for what I'm wanting & if so, which model would be the best pick? My budget would be around $350 or less. In reading the reviews on the latest Sony & LG BD players, they really don't address the upconversion of DVD's at all.

Thanks,

Ken

The optimist claims the glass is half full; the pessimist claims it is half empty. An engineer observes that the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

post #387 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 PM

UPDATE ON NETFLIX PROBLEMS:

I spent an hour on the phone with Sony today, and made it up to level 3 tech support where I finally got a response on the BDP-S570 & Netflix problem with choppy video. After not being able to resolve my issues, the level 3 tech support guy (Ulysses, if that's not just a phone alias) spoke with his engineering contact and was only then told that Sony is aware of the issue with "frames dropping" and are looking into it. I tried pressing for an answer as to whether or not it will be fixed in a future firmware update, and all I could get the tech support guy to commit to was "we're looking into it" and I should periodically check to make sure my firmware is up to date.

A quick summary of what was determined throughout the length of the call:

1. These problems are NOT network related (in fact, the Sony rep said I had a great connection getting over 15mbps down when last using Netflix)
2. This appears to be a software problem with the players themselves
3. Frames are getting dropped during Netflix playback, particularly on panning/motion sequences
4. Other video content is not effected
5. Sony is looking into it and may or may not address it in a future firmware update

My hope is that this does get resolved in a future update. Other than that, if you're considering purchasing this unit for Netflix, I'd pass until you hear that this has been resolved.

It literally took over an hour to get this information [it seems like the people outside of "engineering," particularly the phone reps, are completely unaware of this "known issue"], but if you're inclined to complain (to add your voice to the chorus chanting "fix it"), here is Sony's tech support number: (800) 222-7669 in the U.S. or (239) 768-7669 Intl.
post #388 of 3951 Old 05-24-2010, 03:28 PM

Didn't know there is such a thing as native resolution. I assume since I bought a 720p Pioneer plasma (PDP-5080 HD), I'll configure the blu-ray player for 720p. BTW, my HD programs from Comcast are displayed as 1080i (that's what Pioneer displays) when I go into a HD channel.
post #389 of 3951 Old 05-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Funkybot for sharing the details about Netflix Sony issues.
I love the features of Sony and its Blu-Ray performance. It would have been an ideal player for me except for the Netflix issue. Since Netflix was the primary issue I bought my second Blu-Ray player I ended up returning Sony and kept Panny 85K.
I have watched 2 movies on the panny over wired network. I don't have high bandwidth connection that you have but I still did not have any issues with Netflix.
post #390 of 3951 Old 05-25-2010, 11:03 AM

On the high-pitched whining noise...

I posted a comment a couple months ago (just recently quoted in another post) that I noticed a whining noise coming from the player. Strangely enough, that was the only time I ever noticed the noise! I have played many discs since then (BD and DVD) and the noise has never come back. I'm not sure if it was just a coincidence, but the disc I had in when I noticed the whining sound was Batman: The Dark Knight.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page