AVS Forum banner
897K views 4K replies 846 participants last post by  Morpheze 
#1 ·
Mods, feel free to merge this thread with the Sony 370/470. I already asked twice before starting a new one.

OK , got my S570 and tested everything I could. This is not a professional review since I'm not a pro.

-UNPACKING AND INSTALLING:

The box is very small, half the size of the 460 box. The player is also much smaller than the 460. The installation was a breeze because I basically removed my 460 and replaced it with the 570. I don't need the wireless, just hooket it to my Ethernet switch and set a fixed IP address like I do on any device I have.

The eject button on the player is almost impossible to find. Bring the remote.

The activation of both Netflix and Amazon can be a real pain and I had to register both again.

I changed the following settings from the default:

.Audio Mix to OFF

.Gracenote to AUTO

.Network settings to manual IP address.

.SACD to DSD

.IP Noise Reduction to zero

As soon as I turned the player on, a firmware update came up and its now version 315.

-BLURAY/DVD PICTURE QUALITY

Nothing new here. Bluray is great as it is with any other player and DVD is OK, nothing to brag about but decent. Professional reviews will give more info about cadence and other things, I spend my time watching movies not calibration disks.

Only thing new is the Gracenote that gives some info on the title but will interrupt playback and return the movie to start position.

-AMAZON/NETFLIX

If you know the 460, the interface is the same (very basic) but with an interesting difference on the audio side. With the 460 I can get DD 5.1 from Amazon and only get audio from Netflix if I set HDMI AUDIO to PCM. With the 570, all the streaming comes in PCM even if HDMI AUDIO is set to AUTO. I think it's a bug with the 460 that happens only with few receivers (no audio unless PCM is set) that is now fixed with the 570. I know, a little confusing.

There is an IP video noise reduction that defaults to 2. I set it to zero because I hate any kind of NR. Picture gets softer in most cases.

Picture quality with Amazon is good and so-so with Netflix but nothing that can be blamed on the player. BTW, my Internet connection is good, 18 Mbps hard-wired.

Gracenote doesn't work with Netflix or Amazon, but you don't need it.

-OTHER WEB SERVICES

There are 1 or 2 services not present on the 460 and few "coming soon". The most important is the Qriosity, from Sony, that promises to rival Netflix/Amazon. There is a Qriosity icon as a placeholder on the menu axis. More info here: http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/11/s...february-2010/

-DLNA

Doesn't exist. Firmware upgrade ? Shame on you Sony.

UPDATE: DLNA was implemented June 2010, well, sort of. The file support is very basic and the player can only play very few types of video. I could only play .mpg standard definition, that's all. Most servers, like Tversity, PS3 Media Server and others don't work or work with limit functions with the S570. There are reports that Playon is now working fine with the player.

-USB DISK AND FILES SUPPORTED.

I used a pendrive to test quite a few file formats. Here is the result:

.M2TS Both movies recorded from my Canon Camcorder and the Hauppauge HD-PVR played perfectly. Great !

.MPG No problems, as expected.

.WMV Played without a glitch.

.MKV The video recorded with Makemkv didn't play at all (msg about corrupted file). The video recorded with Handbrake played but with a lot of pixelation.

.M4V Same as above. Also created by Handbrake.

.ISO Not recognized at all. Didn't show up on the playlist.

.MOV Same as above.

.AVI Same as above.

I think the only good news so far is the flawless playback of the 2 M2TS files.

UPDTATE: MKV is now playing fine from the pendrive. The player supports FAT32 only, very limited if you plan to use it for large files. NTFS HDD is NOT supported.

-SACD

This is the Grand Finale: Absolutely fantastic . My Pioneer 94 can take DSD direct (no PCM conversion) and the sound is great. I set the receiver to "pure direct" and the sound was warm, tube like, beautiful. Obviously the receiver plays the big role here but the 570 did everything you could expect.

MY SETUP:

.Panasonic P65V10

.Pioneer 64 receiver

.Sony BDP S570 player

.U-Verse 18 Mbps Internet Service

.Everything through HDMI links.

I hope I gave you some highlights on the 570. Overall it's a great deal and a bargain considering what it can do.

See less See more
#3,242 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 /forum/post/20184053

Hello-I searched this forum and found a similar posting a number of months ago, but no answer. I have checked the 570 while using a DVE-bluray disc on the "chroma" test pattern and the RGB output setting is better than the Auto setting except that the picture now looks brighter. On the Sony HX800 forum I asked about this, since this is where I first found out that some people there were using the RGB-"limited" setting on their PS3's and getting better picture quality (the PS allows selecting limited or full; full should not be selected according to those posters).

So, does anybody know if the 570 is outputting in "full" (whatever the diff. is) or "limited" when set to RGB?

Although the RGB setting does give better resolution on the DVE test pattern, not sure that it isn't doing something bad to the picture quality when watching a Blu-ray.

Does anybody have any specific info regarding this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

The manual doesn't give a clue as to whether the signal is full or ltd.

Thanks

I don't know but I've been told by the pros to use YCbCr 4:2:2 for the best picture and least compatibility issues. This is the native format on the Blu-ray without any upsampling or transcoding.

#3,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs4000 /forum/post/19431676

The Sony doesn't have Source Direct. "Original Resolution," which some thought might be Source Direct, insists on deinterlacing so it will always put out a progressive signal even if you'd rather it not. It's a pain to go in and customize the output settings of a blu-ray player for each disc you play so for those with high-end video processors which do a much better job of deinterlacing than the Sony, essentially they'd better not pick a Sony blu-ray player as all their current line-up lack an automatic Source Direct output option.

I frankly don't understand the utility of the "Original Resolution" setting. Why not just go full-on and pass the video stream completely untouched, then call it "Source Direct"?

Agreed. At least Secrets tested the de-interlacer and it scored well (better than the s350 which also did well for its time). I wonder if the entire x70 family has the same results?

By the way, did Secrets ever do a shootout for Blu-rays or gather all the benchmarks like they did with the DVD players? I can't find such a page.

#3,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20210502

wardog, thanks for that- I did try to turn on the WPA but it doesn't see my bluray player and it blinks red for a while then goes to green, despite my pushing the button. Is there something else I have to do?

Check out the below page(s) If you haven't already:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/tut...64&mdl=BDPS570

It might help if you read all and run through it once or twice before attempting.

Choose any or the appropriate OS and , hmm..., the Netgear WNDR3700 router for your example.

In attempting, after following the link, if it fails post back what and where it fails please. Or the steps you have done leading up to not connecting.

#3,245 ·
That Sony page doesn't list my router, and when I go to "other" the only operating systems are Windows. I have a Mac.

I spent over an hour with the Sony tech person last night (and it was the "higher level" of support.) No change.

Called Qwest today. He said the green or blue button isn't on the unit, it's on the modem modification page. The one on the modem is always green if WPS is on. The modem sees my Sony player, and it says it's connected, the player sees the modem, and says it's connected, and yet I can't connect.

Whenever I try to get content, whether it's just connecting to the Sony site or whatever, it says connection failed.

#3,246 ·
Morning,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20212945

That Sony page doesn't list my router, and when I go to "other" the only operating systems are Windows. I have a Mac.

The OS chosen in the on-screen Sony Support link shouldn't matter as I believe(I've never viewed on a Mac) these GUI pages will appear and function the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20212945

Called Qwest today. He said the green or blue button isn't on the unit, it's on the modem modification page. The one on the modem is always green if WPS is on.

Yes. The pdf I linked to is where this green/blue button is needed pressed(Enabled) with your mouse, and it is located within the routers GUI itself. Per the pdf, and still within the routers GUI, after enabling WPS, if it isn't already blue in the GUI, and next after pressing "Connect", both still within the routers GUI, you'll have ~120secs to physically go to your S570 and begin the WPS setup/configuration there also.

#3,248 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200
...The modem sees my Sony player, and it says it's connected, the player sees the modem, and says it's connected, and yet I can't connect.

Whenever I try to get content, whether it's just connecting to the Sony site or whatever, it says connection failed.
Sounds to me like you have MAC filtering turned on. Check the router and make sure that you don't have any access restrictions turned on.

Security determines which units can connect to the router, while filters control access through the router.

These restrictions like parental controls, determine when a unit can connect to the internet, if at all.

Hope this helps.

#3,250 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have checked them all out. MAC authentification off. Blue button indicating WPS is on. Sony player listed as "connected" in the modem GUI. Modem showing up on Sony player, network settings show OK for internet. Actually, I turned off all security settings on the modem. I don't care if a neighbor jumps on (I don't have too many close neighbors) and I use my airport express for my computer anyway. Tomorrow will call support for Zyxel. There has to be something incompatible.

#3,251 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmondrag /forum/post/20216319

While I'm getting internet service set up, I was wondering whether the firmware can be updated using the USB port or if I should wait for internet access?

It'll update via internet or disc. I haven't read in the docs or seen anyone mention updating via USB.

If when you receive it the FW begins with M03.x there are specific means that need followed to get it updated to the most current FW.

#3,252 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20216683

Actually, I turned off all security settings on the modem. I don't care if a neighbor jumps on (I don't have too many close neighbors) and I use my airport express for my computer anyway.

Running wide open WiFi with security disabled is never a good idea.

Ewww, you never mentioned having a second wireless "base' in your house. If you did, my apologies, as I missed that.

That opens a whole 'nuther barrel of worms. Wish I were physically there to verify a couple of things.

Are the devices in your house getting their IP addresses assigned by the DHCP server within the AirPort, or Zyzel? And you can't answer back both unless you have two ISP's wiring entering your house.

ie: Transparent Bridging of the PK5000Z

Hmmm, .... I think, if the Zyzel _is_ in "Bridge' mode, that your attempts at connecting the S570 up to the Zyzel _will_ fail.

#3,253 ·
The Zyxel is in PPoE mode and yes, the IP is assigned by the Zyxel. I originally (when I had Comcast) used the airport for all wireless and when I got the Zyxel I turned off the wireless so they wouldn't fight with each other. But when I couldn't get the Sony to work, I tried connecting it directly to the Zyxel and tried turning all security off in case there was a firewall in the way. When the wireless is turned off of the Zyxel the airport still sees the same IP address.

#3,254 ·
OK, I've removed my airport express and am using just the Zyxel router. I've tried both WPS and regular wireless. Here is the message I get: "Connection status cannot be confirmed. A network error has occurred." That's the screen I get if I try to get any internet content at all.

I can't get Zyxel on the phone. They don't even list this modem in their product list. I've asked Qwest to send me a new modem and they're going to send an Actiontec. PK5000.

#3,255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20222602

Here is the message I get: "Connection status cannot be confirmed. A network error has occurred."

Now I'm wondering if this is an issue with either your Sony Essentials acct or maybe with your NetFlix acct. . Or rather that the change in ISP's has somehow negatively fubar'd something somewhere(ie: device registration at either/both). I know Sony servers sit in the middle with NetFlix streaming but I don't know the technicalities involved for them to be there.

Let's check for connectivity w/o using NetFlix as our example.

While having the player "connected'(WPS or wired, and config'd as it should be) attempt to check for any updates via Settings > Network Update on the S570.

Does it say you're up to date, an update is available, or are you still getting an error?

#3,256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20175439

It sees the wireless router, the numbers and info are all correct on the player's readout, it says internet connection OK, but when I go to get content it says a connection error occurred and it doesn't recognize the server. I've spent hours on the phone with Sony, Qwest, and DirectTV. Reset everything several times. Is there a special encryption I should set on the Modem? Right now it's WPA/WPA2 personal. I don't understand why it worked fine with the Comcast box and modem.

Is your Wireless AP broadcasting the SSID? I don't think Sony boxes will work with an invisible ID.

#3,257 ·
Well, quite a saga this has been. I'm now up to about 7 hours on the phone, Zyxel called me back for tech support. They make the unit for Qwest but Qwest does the firmware, which we updated, because he said the older firmware for this modem didn't allow the ports to open as they should. The SSID was not hidden, by the way, I checked that.

It still didn't work. He finally said he thinks there is in fact a problem with the modem itself and thought the Actiontec might work better. He didn't know specific ports to open for the Sony, if you guys do let me know. He couldn't find anything on it and the Sony guy said this should be automatic anyway. Zyxel and Sony both said they don't recommend using WPS, regular wireless should work fine. I can't wire the unit to the modem, this isn't an option. I'll report back after I try the Actiontec. I thank you all for your suggestions, if nothing else, I've learned a lot about programming a modem.

#3,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr200 /forum/post/20225136

Well, quite a saga this has been. I'm now up to about 7 hours on the phone, Zyxel called me back for tech support. They make the unit for Qwest but Qwest does the firmware, which we updated, because he said the older firmware for this modem didn't allow the ports to open as they should. The SSID was not hidden, by the way, I checked that.

It still didn't work. He finally said he thinks there is in fact a problem with the modem itself and thought the Actiontec might work better. He didn't know specific ports to open for the Sony, if you guys do let me know. He couldn't find anything on it and the Sony guy said this should be automatic anyway. Zyxel and Sony both said they don't recommend using WPS, regular wireless should work fine. I can't wire the unit to the modem, this isn't an option. I'll report back after I try the Actiontec. I thank you all for your suggestions, if nothing else, I've learned a lot about programming a modem.

It's scary that Sony doesn't recommend WPS. I looked for an option for "regular wireless". What did they mean?

#3,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPawDog /forum/post/20228595

Not true. I have BX57 and it works fine with hidden SSID.

Not necessarily so between differing chipsets.

Our S570 firmware updates could also be correcting for incompatibilities between these differing WiFi chipsets.

Xyxel themselves even note a difference, now apparently corrected for, with two of their own products HERE .

Yet the Wi-Fi Alliance has "Certified' the WPS capabilities of both devices on THIS page

#3,261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiopho /forum/post/20216126

Is this player a 3d playback worthy?

It is presently $109.99 + tax (free ship) at Sonystyle.com.
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...104171#gallery

Wow. Even the non-refurbs are $129.99 but that's still pretty wicked.

It's 269.99 at SonyStyle.ca! Which is weird because FutureShop is still selling the s770 for $219.

#3,262 ·
I just picked up a Sony bdp-57 from SAMs club and the USB port won't read my sd card reader or external hard drives. I let it update to the newest firm ware and no luck. I have the s580 and it reads all my harddrives and card readers with no problem. I use it to play my family videos. I could just go by

A s580 from best buy but it dosnt have a fiberoptic audio for my surround system. Any one have the bdp-57 and use external hd. Thanks

#3,263 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125
I just picked up a Sony bdp-57 from SAMs club and the USB port won't read my sd card reader or external hard drives. I let it update to the newest firm ware and no luck. I have the s580 and it reads all my harddrives and card readers with no problem. I use it to play my family videos. I could just go by

A s580 from best buy but it dosnt have a fiberoptic audio for my surround system. Any one have the bdp-57 and use external hd. Thanks
If you know the S580 works, there are S/PDIF to TOSLINK adapters. Check:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-To-Go-O...1528658&sr=8-8

It's one possible solution. Sorry, no, I don't have a hard drive connected to my S570.

#3,265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gso125 /forum/post/20232490

Does your surround receiver not have a coaxial input? Most do. Also, what format are your hard drives and memory cards formated in? If they are NTFS, they can't be read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.