Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 132 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3931 of 3951 Old 01-04-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 134
hmunster2 - When using HDMI, the proper settings to get lossless bitstreams are HDMI to Auto and BD Mix to Off. The player then uses the HDMI handshake with the receiver to negotiate the best connection. If the processor has the needed lossless decoder, the player will bitstream the soundtrack and the AVR will show DTS Master or TrueHD as the audio format. If you set HDMI to PCM, the player will do the decoding. If you set Mix to On, which is the default, the player will decode the track and mix in secondary audio. You may get a PCM output or a lossy bitstream, not lossless, depending on your receiver's capabilities.

The other settings do not matter. The Dolby and DTS settings only apply to the coax and optical outputs and settings such as DRC only come into play when the player is doing the decoding. They apply to PCM, not to an encoded track that is being sent to the AVR for decoding. When bitstreaming, DRC and other such processing is applied in the receiver, not the player.
AVfile likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3951 Old 01-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Thanks.
post #3933 of 3951 Old 01-06-2014, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog View Post

This bluray player is capable with 24fps and so is my tv, it works great with my HTPC. In the settings for 24fps you have a choice of auto or off. On auto it never uses 24fps. Evey bluray I have tried is shown at 60fps according to the details display on the bluray player. I don't have a clue as to what to look for.

The Sony BDP-BX57 goes through my Onkyo TX-NR509. My tv is a Vizio SV470XVT (1080p / 120hz).

Suggestions?

I've tried to playback the latest Wolverine and Steve Jobs blu ray and had to turn off 24fps. The auto setting won't let me play the movies.
post #3934 of 3951 Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, I have been having trouble streaming from Netflix. The program starts but frequently pauses during playback. During a longer pause I have jumped on my computer and streaming of the same program is fine so I believe my Internet connection is ok? I am using the Ethernet connection. Are there any options I can change on the player or other troubleshooting steps I can take? Do the newer Sony machines handle streaming better?

Thanks Bob
Dah Finstah likes this.
post #3935 of 3951 Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_m10 View Post

Hi, I have been having trouble streaming from Netflix. The program starts but frequently pauses during playback. During a longer pause I have jumped on my computer and streaming of the same program is fine so I believe my Internet connection is ok? I am using the Ethernet connection. Are there any options I can change on the player or other troubleshooting steps I can take? Do the newer Sony machines handle streaming better?

Thanks Bob

I have this same problem with my s570 recently. I thought it was my wireless internet, except I have TWC's fastest service, up to 50 mbs. I then thought it was Netflix, except it plays fine on my other devices. I then figured it had to be my s570. I try to pause whatever I'm watching something to let it buffer, but it won't, it just sits there. Playback with pauses every few minutes is normal. I sometimes stop the streaming and then resume playback, which sometimes can get it back on track. It's getting to the point where it's unwatchable. Hulu streams fine though, and media serving works good also, it's only Netflix that the player has a problem with. .
Dah Finstah likes this.
post #3936 of 3951 Old 01-26-2014, 06:33 PM

I believe the problem is Sony themselves. As I understand it, the Netflix stream doesn't come straight from Netflix. Instead, it's served through Sony servers.

The problem seems much worse in the evenings. It got to the point that I used the Xbox to watch Netflix instead of trying to watch through the Sony. Not wanting to have to use the Xbox to watch Netflix, I finally just broke down and bought a Roku.

I don't know if Sony does it intentionally, because the 570 is an older model, or if there servers are just overloaded. But it's aggravating just the same.
post #3937 of 3951 Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantoms View Post

I believe the problem is Sony themselves. As I understand it, the Netflix stream doesn't come straight from Netflix. Instead, it's served through Sony servers.

The problem seems much worse in the evenings. It got to the point that I used the Xbox to watch Netflix instead of trying to watch through the Sony. Not wanting to have to use the Xbox to watch Netflix, I finally just broke down and bought a Roku.

I don't know if Sony does it intentionally, because the 570 is an older model, or if there servers are just overloaded. But it's aggravating just the same.

Well, I'm getting pretty tired of it. Why would they use their own servers to further deteriorate the signal? I may just decide on replacing it with another brand. Something else that really bugs me is watching a disc on this player, and having to sit through all the previews at the beginning. I try to go directly to the menu, but I get a message that that feature has been disabled. I don't know if that's the way the disc is made or Sony forcing me to sit through endless repeats of pushing the Blu Ray Experience. I'm watching on their Blu Ray player, why am I forced to watch this stuff instead of going right to the movie menu?

I used to be a firm believer in all things Sony, but I have lost it. Samsung is my current brand of choice.
post #3938 of 3951 Old 01-27-2014, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninLA View Post

Why would they use their own servers to further deteriorate the signal? I may just decide on replacing it with another brand.

Why? So Sony can keep track of its consumers' preference. LG got caught doing something similar (except worse) not too long ago. It's the old cliche about information/knowledge being power.

I hear Samsung and LG devices make you go through their network like Sony too. I think pretty much all first-tier brands do it.
post #3939 of 3951 Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninLA View Post

Something else that really bugs me is watching a disc on this player, and having to sit through all the previews at the beginning. I try to go directly to the menu, but I get a message that that feature has been disabled. I don't know if that's the way the disc is made or Sony forcing me to sit through endless repeats of pushing the Blu Ray Experience. I'm watching on their Blu Ray player, why am I forced to watch this stuff instead of going right to the movie menu?

Welcome to Blu-ray (pun intended).

If you think the Sony has a bad interface, you will be horrified by most of the other offerings.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #3940 of 3951 Old 02-25-2014, 11:40 AM

I'm having an issue with my Sony BDP-S570 that I THINK started after the last update. I use this box to stream MP4 videos from my computer. No matter what I do, it seems, the video appears "squashed" from the Sony. These videos are 1280 x 720 and are therefore 16:9. I'm pretty sure this problem did not exist prior to the recent firmware update. The same videos play fine on my PC using either VLC or the Windows player. They also play fine on my Samsung DVD player. Only the Sony displays this annoying problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #3941 of 3951 Old 02-25-2014, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Are you sure about that? I think the last firmware update on the 570 was nearly 3 years ago. Setting Screen Format to Fixed Aspect Ratio should do the trick.
post #3942 of 3951 Old 02-25-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Are you sure about that? I think the last firmware update on the 570 was nearly 3 years ago. Setting Screen Format to Fixed Aspect Ratio should do the trick.

Yeah, I'm sure. It was a long time between, but there was a recent update.

That doesn't help; already tried it. BTW, it plays 1080 just fine. It looks like the 720 covers about 2/3 of the screen which incidentally is 720/1080. I've also observed that (according to my TV) the HDMI output is always 1080P, so the player is not sending the original 720 video to the TV.
post #3943 of 3951 Old 02-25-2014, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltN46 View Post

Yeah, I'm sure. It was a long time between, but there was a recent update.

That doesn't help; already tried it. BTW, it plays 1080 just fine. It looks like the 720 covers about 2/3 of the screen which incidentally is 720/1080. I've also observed that (according to my TV) the HDMI output is always 1080P, so the player is not sending the original 720 video to the TV.

The current firmware is M04.R.788. You can download it: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS570&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab and it shows a release date of 10/22/13. I think that is wrong.

If you have the output at 1080p, as I do, all it will send is 1080p. There is a native/fixed option also.

post #3944 of 3951 Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

The current firmware is M04.R.788. You can download it: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS570&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab and it shows a release date of 10/22/13. I think that is wrong.

If you have the output at 1080p, as I do, all it will send is 1080p. There is a native/fixed option also.

That date sounds about like when I installed it, so I don't think it's far off.

I use 720 for my "temporary" files that I record and then delete (tv shows) only to save space. I have the output set to "original" or whatever, but it makes no diff it seems. I transcode all these files, so I guess I'm going to have to use 1080 if I expect to play them on the Sony.
post #3945 of 3951 Old 04-20-2014, 04:36 PM
DMJ

Our 570 won't turn on. Anyone have any idea why? No power surge, no previous problems, and the last time we used it was about two weeks ago.

In the meantime I guess we'll start looking for a new player.

Thanks

Thanks,
Dan
post #3946 of 3951 Old 04-21-2014, 07:02 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've owned the S570 for quite some time and only recently obtained a 3D capable TV (Samsung 8500). Saturday for the first time I watched a 3D Blu ray Movie, Avatar, and have to say I was a little disappointed. I'd previously watched some 3D content from the 3net channel on DirecTV and was VERY impressed with the overall quality of 3D as well as some of the scenes with "pop out" etc. However with Avatar there just wasn't the same effect. I definitely got the depth factor, and while I know Avatar didn't go for the gimmicky "pop out" effects I know there are certain scenes where things appear to "float" out of the screen. However in my case when these scenes happened I didn't really get that effect. Additionally it really seemed like when objects were supposed to float out of the screen, they appeared quite blurry. What I mean is that objects at the very front of the screen were blurry, whereas objects further back in perspective (z level), were sharp ! 3D is definitely working, I notice the difference between glasses on off (without glasses there's the double image), and the TV tells me that glasses are connected, so 3D is definitely "on".

Am I expecting too much from Avatar, did I misread those scenes and they just don't pop out?

One thing I noticed in reading the manual later, was a "Screen size" option on the player. I wasn't aware of that and so haven't set the correct screen size yet (no idea what it defaults to). I wonder if this would help?

Thanks
Mark.
post #3947 of 3951 Old 04-21-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Yes, I'm sure the screen size setting would likely help.

I did sort of the same as you, in getting the 570 a couple of years ago, and then happened to get a 3D TV without intending to (Sony KDL-60R550a). So with the two hooked up together, it seemed a no-brainer to find some 3D blu-rays to watch. So far, we've done THE POLAR EXPRESS, and I was very impressed with that; and then later we got GRAVITY which I also thought was exceptional.

Harry
post #3948 of 3951 Old 07-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have had an S570 since it came out and had not used it for some weeks. I recently was demoing my new speaker system and was playing a pivotal fight scene in Avatar(not a great movie, but it was what I had on hand) and the movie had slight pauses during the action sequences. I then put in another blu-ray that I had and it did the same thing. Both discs are very clean. So I was wondering is it possible that the laser is going out or something? Has anyone else run into this issue before?

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
post #3949 of 3951 Old 07-14-2014, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post
I have had an S570 since it came out and had not used it for some weeks. I recently was demoing my new speaker system and was playing a pivotal fight scene in Avatar(not a great movie, but it was what I had on hand) and the movie had slight pauses during the action sequences. I then put in another blu-ray that I had and it did the same thing. Both discs are very clean. So I was wondering is it possible that the laser is going out or something? Has anyone else run into this issue before?
I never saw it on my S570, and I have Avatar. I would replace the cable first. The S6200 is very good, and you can keep the S570 remote.
post #3950 of 3951 Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Sounds like the hub just needs to be cleaned. Happens to all players after a few years, unless you live in a dust free environment.
post #3951 of 3951 Old 07-14-2014, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Sounds like the hub just needs to be cleaned. Happens to all players after a few years, unless you live in a dust free environment.
So would I open the tray and blow compressed air? Is the hub where the disc resides or is the part that spins the disc?

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page