Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 134 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3991 of 4009 Old 02-01-2015, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I usually blame Cosmic Rays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4009 Old 02-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Cosmic blu-Rays...
JoeKustra likes this.
post #3993 of 4009 Old 02-01-2015, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdimbler View Post
Weirdest thing: My 570 just lost all of its apps. I can now only see the attached external hard drive (won't play files, though) and the settings. Anyone seen this before? I have tried power cycling, removing external hard drive, and resetting to factory settings.
Figured out that if you go to the Settings Menu-> Resetting -> Initialize Personal Information and reset your personal internet settings, then go back to the Video menu and refresh the internet video settings, that brought back all apps. Yay!
post #3994 of 4009 Old 02-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Dropped frames?

Has anyone else had issues with dropped frames on their s570?
I was watching a BD disc tonight and found that the player was constantly dropping frames. Tried switching between 24hz and 60z output, and also between 720p and 1080p and it happened no matter what the setting.

Is this a sign that the disc drive is failing? It's the first disc that's had the problem and its never had the issue before. I tried two other discs and couldn't duplicate the problem. I put the offending disc back in and sure enough, dropped frames.

The disc plays fine in another player.

Can anyone suggest anything?
post #3995 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Noel View Post
Has anyone else had issues with dropped frames on their s570?
I was watching a BD disc tonight and found that the player was constantly dropping frames. Tried switching between 24hz and 60z output, and also between 720p and 1080p and it happened no matter what the setting.

Is this a sign that the disc drive is failing? It's the first disc that's had the problem and its never had the issue before. I tried two other discs and couldn't duplicate the problem. I put the offending disc back in and sure enough, dropped frames.

The disc plays fine in another player.

Can anyone suggest anything?
I guess buying a new player wouldn't be a good suggestion? For less than my S570 I bought an S6200. The 2015 models will be out soon.
post #3996 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Please mention the offending title. Does the screen go black or is it just jerky motion?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #3997 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post
I guess buying a new player wouldn't be a good suggestion? For less than my S570 I bought an S6200. The 2015 models will be out soon.
I was hoping to avoid it. I rather like this player. I feel like it's got a great overall design and I like the UI. (not to mention it has fantastic picture and audio quality, plus I love the fact that it has the ability to play virtually anything I put in it from a USB stick). I'm not a huge fan of the new Sony designs and I really dislike the small/cheap form factor that the other manu's are pushing.
post #3998 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post
Please mention the offending title. Does the screen go black or is it just jerky motion?
Star Wars Ep 1 Blu-ray from the complete collection set. I've checked the disc and there isn't anything virtually wrong with it.
The motion is jerky. It'll pause for a second and then immediately skip 2 or 3 frames (I'm guessing) and then show the following frames in a faster motion in order to catch up to the sound. The sound never skips a beat.
post #3999 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was hoping to avoid it. I rather like this player. I feel like it's got a great overall design and I like the UI. (not to mention it has fantastic picture and audio quality, plus I love the fact that it has the ability to play virtually anything I put in it from a USB stick). I'm not a huge fan of the new Sony designs and I really dislike the small/cheap form factor that the other manu's are pushing.
The UI for 2015 is supposed to be very different. If it's like my Sony TV get prepared for something slow and stupid. But it does have a PlayStation shortcut. The S790 was supposed to be the last good one. I don't mind the case and the S6200 has the same XBR menu system. If only we could sort the columns.
post #4000 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
The UI for 2015 is supposed to be very different. If it's like my Sony TV get prepared for something slow and stupid. But it does have a PlayStation shortcut. The S790 was supposed to be the last good one. I don't mind the case and the S6200 has the same XBR menu system. If only we could sort the columns.
Is the S790 overly expensive? If i had the cash, i would run for an OPPO but the 790 seems to be a monster of a player.

Last edited by Albert Noel; 02-07-2015 at 11:40 AM.
post #4001 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is the S790 overly expensive? If i had the cash, i would run for an OPPO but the 790 seems to be a monster of a player.
I never had one. Many posts have indicated it is the best of show for Sony. There is a thread for it. I don't follow it or know the current price. Most "power users" are waiting for the S6500 or have the S7200. There may be an S7500, but I could be wrong. Check the S6200 thread. You can find my posts and what I don't like about it. I do, however, like more than dislike. The S6200 is the "lowest" dual-core but..... see the thread.

Oh yeah, it was expensive.
post #4002 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
I never had one. Many posts have indicated it is the best of show for Sony. There is a thread for it. I don't follow it or know the current price. Most "power users" are waiting for the S6500 or have the S7200. There may be an S7500, but I could be wrong. Check the S6200 thread. You can find my posts and what I don't like about it. I do, however, like more than dislike. The S6200 is the "lowest" dual-core but..... see the thread.

Oh yeah, it was expensive.
Thanks for the heads up, i will check it out!
post #4003 of 4009 Old 02-07-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
You should be able to get a 790 really cheap now that it's 3 generations old. I sold my last 790 for about $100 a few years ago. As far as being a monster, it weighs about 6 tons, is the size of a coffee table and could survive a nuclear blast. It's one of the few players that had dual HDMI outs, if you need that sort of thing. My $40 Sony 1200 performed just as well, so I never understood what all the fuss was about. I guess it was top of the line for Sony 3 years ago, but I wouldn't buy one today unless I got a really, really good deal and had a Roku or something else for streaming.
post #4004 of 4009 Unread Today, 07:02 AM

Getting worse...

I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace my 570. Now as soon as I put in a br disc, it goes right into its semi-locked up mode. Same scenario every time. Player starts up, I get the "Sony Blu-Ray" logo on the screen and then the screen goes blank without going to the home menu screen like it used to. The disc starts to play but only the audio, no picture. Pressing the home button on the remote stops the disc, at least the audio, the display says "home" but no picture, no menu. Tried ejecting and reloading, turning off the player and back on, no luck. Gave up and went in the den and watched St.Vincent on my smaller TV with my Samsung player.

In the past, unplugging and leaving it to sit overnight would remedy the situation. Obviously that's not a practical solution. Seems a shame that Im going to ditch this unit as it seems like a software issue and something that could be easily fixed if somebody knew how. I checked to make sure that I'm on the latest firmware and I am. Don't know that I can buy another Sony in good faith. Very frustrating to say the least.
post #4005 of 4009 Unread Today, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace my 570. Now as soon as I put in a br disc, it goes right into its semi-locked up mode. Same scenario every time. Player starts up, I get the "Sony Blu-Ray" logo on the screen and then the screen goes blank without going to the home menu screen like it used to. The disc starts to play but only the audio, no picture. Pressing the home button on the remote stops the disc, at least the audio, the display says "home" but no picture, no menu. Tried ejecting and reloading, turning off the player and back on, no luck. Gave up and went in the den and watched St.Vincent on my smaller TV with my Samsung player.
They don't make them like that anymore. I still use my S570 for streaming audio. The S6200 is very good, and there should be some new 2015 models soon. I would hold out if you can. If you like the solid build, there may be a low mileage S790 on eBay or other places. Good luck.
post #4006 of 4009 Unread Today, 08:37 AM

Just wish there was some way to work through whatever is going on with this player...
post #4007 of 4009 Unread Today, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerhd View Post
Just wish there was some way to work through whatever is going on with this player...
If you have the time, try support.sony.com but they usually just tell you to do a factory reset 3x in a row. That actually seems to fix some problems. And you have nothing to lose.
http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray...twork-internet
post #4008 of 4009 Unread Today, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 517
... Or turn off deep color.
post #4009 of 4009 Unread Today, 09:58 AM

I have done a factory reset but only one so I'll certainly give the 3x a try. Deep color setting as well.

Thanks!
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page