AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Is this a HDMI 1.4a device?

No, neither is the PS3 which will also be able to play 3D material.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I do not know the exact answer to your question but I do remember another poster earlier in this thread or even on the Sony site that mentioned he could no play any personal video's etc that he made because of what he thought was HDCP issues. So anything homemade that is not HDCP compliant will not play. Does not make a lot of sense but that was the comment I remember. Totally blows the DLNA use too if that is the case.
post #453 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etoonces View Post

Cannot seem to find or locate the instructions for connecting to a PC there. Can you be more specific on where you found the instructions?

Browse to internet.sony.tv/bravia
Select your country/language
The last option on the home page is: Send From PC to TV

The instructions seem tailored to sending straight to a TV rather than BD, but that's all I've seen. I hope this helps (doubtful) it's all I've got.
post #454 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Ken -

Actually that review is on Amazon.com Look at one of the 2 star reviews of this player and you will see it. Don't know if it matches your issue or not.
post #455 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenatug View Post

Would it be possible for someone on this forum to take a minute and answer a couple of questions I posted previously (posts 414 and 426) in this forum? I know you have your own discussions going on, but if someone could just take a minute to answer what I think is a simple question for anyone who owns this player and got the recent update, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ken

I have the 57 from Costco. It is the same as the 570, except you get an HDMI cable with it and it is $20 cheaper.

Mike
post #456 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 10:48 AM

So I got the update yesterday and immediately wanted to see if I could stream photos, music, and video from my PC to my BDP-S570. I was already connected to my network by LAN connection (streaming movies from netflix worked better for me through LAN than through wi-fi). I am running windows 7 x64.... so I went to "homegroup and sharing connections" and checked the box to "stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my network". From there I went to the Blu-Ray and selected "network settings", then "connection server settings", the list will be blank until you search for networks. Once you search, your network will show up...and that's it. You should notice a windows icon now when you scroll through the xmb menu for video...select the video you want to see and there it is (if you try and play videos while in the photos menu, it will tell you "no playable file found"... so make sure you are in the video menu to play videos, photo menu to play photos).

Now here is my problem...the windows icon shows up in the photo and video menu, but not audio....anyone have this problem? I'm about to call Sony to figure it out.
post #457 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippyweathers View Post

So I got the update yesterday and immediately wanted to see if I could stream photos, music, and video from my PC to my BDP-S570. I was already connected to my network by LAN connection (streaming movies from netflix worked better for me through LAN than through wi-fi). I am running windows 7 x64.... so I went to "homegroup and sharing connections" and checked the box to "stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my network". From there I went to the Blu-Ray and selected "network settings", then "connection server settings", the list will be blank until you search for networks. Once you search, your network will show up...and that's it. You should notice a windows icon now when you scroll through the xmb menu for video...select the video you want to see and there it is (if you try and play videos while in the photos menu, it will tell you "no playable file found"... so make sure you are in the video menu to play videos, photo menu to play photos).

Now here is my problem...the windows icon shows up in the photo and video menu, but not audio....anyone have this problem? I'm about to call Sony to figure it out.

I see the windows icon in all.
post #458 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 03:30 PM

NEW FIRMWARE VERSION M04.R.588 corrects not being able to play AVCHD disks created with Sony Vegas and Sony DVDA.

I sent a sample disk to the engineers in San Fransico and viola! I just tested a few of my disks and they play perfectly.

Thank you Sony.
post #459 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you, MVP. I was pretty sure that the Costco unit was identical, but I just wanted to make sure.

Did you get the new firmware? If so, do you know whether you can access Picasa now?

Thanks again for the response.

Ken
post #460 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Has anyone figured out if the M04.R.588 firmware upgrade includes DLNA rendering capability? That means using your computer as a remote control to "push" audio/video content from the computer to the player via ethernet cable or wireless.
post #461 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

No, neither is the PS3 which will also be able to play 3D material.

How do you know its not 1.4?? Everywhere I look online it says 1.4, not that it matters for 3D, all you need is high speed HDMI
post #462 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone used the universal remote control to control the Sony BDP-s570. I am planning to replace our Sony BDP-S1 with this player since we can stream netflix movies with this. But I use MX-6000 to control all my devices which are in another room. Hope that won't be a problem?Thanks for any advice regarding this
post #463 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblackkeys View Post

How do you know its not 1.4?? Everywhere I look online it says 1.4, not that it matters for 3D, all you need is high speed HDMI

This article :

http://www.jdmag.com/sony-bdp-s570-h...-1-4-features/

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #464 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenatug View Post

I was told by Sony that there is a firmware update scheduled for July that is supposed to provide support for 3D functions, and also will provide support for logging into Picasa. Does anyone know whether the firmware update that just came out provides for a connection to Picasa?

Did not see Picasa anywhere after the firmware.
post #465 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 10:24 PM

Sorry to say this guys but after using this player for 10 days and giving it a chance with the new firmware. I have decided to return it for the Samsung BD-C6500.

Since I have a Samsung TV, to me personally the Samsung player displays a better video quality in regards to brightness and sharpness vs. this player. I also found the streaming content on the Sony to be very poor. Netflix video colors were very poor even when playing a movie from Netflix which was displayed to be streaming in HD quality.

What hit the nail in the coffin for me was watching the streaming video quality of content from my PC to the player, personal videos specifically. They were extremely pixilated and dull. Maybe the Sony player just needs a much bigger bandwidth to pull the same content, I don't know what exactly it is but ultimately Samsung does a much better job at it, color are so much more vivid, sharper and brighter.
post #466 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nippyweathers View Post

I see the windows icons in all options as well.
Now it only shows Music you have shared in Windows 7. Right now on mine for example it only shows music under the Public folder (the same goes for Photos). You have to go in Windows 7 and under Homegroup->View Homegroup Settings enable Music (and Photos and/or Videos) to be shared.
post #467 of 3954 Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenju4u View Post

Sorry to say this guys but after using this player for 10 days and giving it a chance with the new firmware. I have decided to return it for the Samsung BD-C6500.

Since I have a Samsung TV, to me personally the Samsung player displays a better video quality in regards to brightness and sharpness vs. this player. I also found the streaming content on the Sony to be very poor. Netflix video colors were very poor even when playing a movie from Netflix which was displayed to be streaming in HD quality.

What hit the nail in the coffin for me was watching the streaming video quality of content from my PC to the player, personal videos specifically. They were extremely pixilated and dull. Maybe the Sony player just needs a much bigger bandwidth to pull the same content, I don't know what exactly it is but ultimately Samsung does a much better job at it, color are so much more vivid, sharper and brighter.

That is fine but I'll never get a Samsung Bluray player again, I've had 3 (luckily returned within 30 days) and they either broke or froze. I don't really understand why the complaint about Netflix, on mine the image is good (considering it is streaming), it is nowhere near Bluray quality but watchable. BTW I do have a Samsung TV and it performs well but BR no way.
post #468 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

That is fine but I'll never get a Samsung Bluray player again, I've had 3 (luckily returned within 30 days) and they either broke or froze. I don't really understand why the complaint about Netflix, on mine the image is good (considering it is streaming), it is nowhere near Bluray quality but watchable. BTW I do have a Samsung TV and it performs well but BR no way.

Honestly I first bought the Samsung, had issues with it so i returned it and got the Sony. So I had the chance to look at what kind of streaming and BD output the Samsung was putting out before I tried the Sony. The Sony I felt has great features and settings which I liked very much, but it really lacks in the streaming department. The quality is just not there. Since my main reason for getting a BD player was to stream media files from my PC, ability to watch Netflix movies and BD player equally I had to pick a player to my own requirements and it turned out to be the Samsung.
post #469 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I would go with the panasonic 65/85 if you want better netflix streaming.

Jacob

Interestingly, when I went to BB to purchase a BD, the Panny 85 was my target device, thinking it might interface nicely with my panny plasma tv.. They were out, so I purchased the Sony 570. I am delighted with it in all aspects EXCEPT Netflix streaming.

Over in the 470 thread there was a very interesting discussion involving CharlesR and several others. He determined the 570 was not using available bandwidth efficiently. I am convinced that my issues are related.

If I am watching, about, anytime OTHER than the busy 7:00-10:00pm time frame I have zero issues. Everything is fine with no buffering and excellent PQ. My TimeWarner/RR cable modem is provisioned for 15Mbps.

During these evening time frames, when my speed frequently drops below 10Mbps (sometimes into the 7Mbps range), it starts buffering, constantly on HD content. If the 570 is choking itself, it explains everything. Although I have the fastest service available in my area, it may not be fast enough for the 570.

I am complete agreement with CharlesR's point that the 470/570 needs to use available bandwidth more efficiently. I think I'm going to buy a Panny 65 and try it.

JWhite
post #470 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 07:59 AM

I was choosing this or the c6500, and wanted to go with this but the sammy just seems like it may do a better job with the wifi stuff....
post #471 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWhite View Post

Interestingly, when I went to BB to purchase a BD, the Panny 85 was my target device, thinking it might interface nicely with my panny plasma tv.. They were out, so I purchased the Sony 570. I am delighted with it in all aspects EXCEPT Netflix streaming.

Over in the 470 thread there was a very interesting discussion involving CharlesR and several others. He determined the 570 was not using available bandwidth efficiently. I am convinced that my issues are related.

If I am watching, about, anytime OTHER than the busy 7:00-10:00pm time frame I have zero issues. Everything is fine with no buffering and excellent PQ. My TimeWarner/RR cable modem is provisioned for 15Mbps.

During these evening time frames, when my speed frequently drops below 10Mbps (sometimes into the 7Mbps range), it starts buffering, constantly on HD content. If the 570 is choking itself, it explains everything. Although I have the fastest service available in my area, it may not be fast enough for the 570.

I am complete agreement with CharlesR's point that the 470/570 needs to use available bandwidth more efficiently. I think I'm going to buy a Panny 65 and try it.

The only feedback I'd add is instead of returning units Has anyone reported these problems to sony with detailed information? instead of always returning units? This would be my prefered method as a beta tester and someone who has been trained in computer repair. I'm not apposed to panasonic products by any means they make great products. but it seems like people give up too quick instead of helping to solve problems. I do not have any issues with streaming. nor do i know where to report problems to sony. technical support doesn't seem to be the right place, as i did bring up an issue and the people that work there have no technical background and gave me a response that was reasonable but not connected to the specific situation. I remember my panasonic BDP 601k for a long time people had a freezing issue. I didn't but eventually panasonic fixed the problem cause people stuck with the player to get the bugs worked out.
post #472 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

The only feedback I'd add is instead of returning units Has anyone reported these problems to sony with detailed information? instead of always returning units? This would be my prefered method as a beta tester and someone who has been trained in computer repair. I'm not apposed to panasonic products by any means they make great products. but it seems like people give up too quick instead of helping to solve problems. I do not have any issues with streaming. nor do i know where to report problems to sony. technical support doesn't seem to be the right place, as i did bring up an issue and the people that work there have no technical background and gave me a response that was reasonable but not connected to the specific situation. I remember my panasonic BDP 601k for a long time people had a freezing issue. I didn't but eventually panasonic fixed the problem cause people stuck with the player to get the bugs worked out.

That's an excellent point. I cannot return the unit (I'm past BB's 30 day period), and do intend to contact tech support. However, with no guarantee regarding when, or even if, Sony will address the issue... I fear I'll exhaust my patience. Sony does publish recommendations for speed (10Mbps for HD) and I can state with some confidence that during peak usage periods, I am unlikely to average that bandwidth.

I have no issues during off-peak hours. Unfortunately I like to stream during the same periods as everyone else.

JWhite
post #473 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's an excellent point. I cannot return the unit (I'm past BB's 30 day period), and do intend to contact tech support. However, with no guarantee regarding when, or even if, Sony will address the issue... I fear I'll exhaust my patience. Sony does publish recommendations for speed (10Mbps for HD) and I can state with some confidence that during peak usage periods, I am unlikely to average that bandwidth.

I have no issues during off-peak hours. Unfortunately I like to stream during the same periods as everyone else.

Oh, I completely understand but I also know for a fact even my $1300 macbook from apple experiences such things from youtube and various other internet related things, Or a software vendor will produce a software package with a bug in it some people may have it some may not. Like i said I think people have become to picky. and assume expensive is better in ALL cases or just because fewer people report bugs for a certain product it's bug proof when in fact people haven't put said product in a situation to trigger bugs. Also who's to say netflix themselves don't have bugs and certain players may bring out those bugs more then others or even certain internet connections configurations e.g. Im someone who will only return a product for a couple reasons.

1. it has a physical defect that can't be fixed with software e.g something physically breaks on it that happened in shipping etc.
2. it doesn't have a physical feature i need that can't be given in an upgrade. e.g. built in wifi vs wifi ready needing a dongle. But maybe do what I do have a couple players around e.g. the sony and a panny having more then one I find actually compliments each other as well as being able to test the same content on different hardware and software to help find bugs etc.
post #474 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

... maybe do what I do have a couple players around e.g. the sony and a panny having more then one I find actually compliments each other as well as being able to test the same content on different hardware and software to help find bugs etc.

That's probably where I'll end up. Sony and Panny (assuming the Panny streams more reliably and with less buffering). Not sure I want to tell my wife we're going to have yet another remote, though.

Too bad we don't have a Sony developer hanging around these parts to tell us when/if issues like this will be addressed.

JWhite
post #475 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's probably where I'll end up. Sony and Panny (assuming the Panny streams more reliably and with less buffering). Not sure I want to tell my wife we're going to have yet another remote, though.

Too bad we don't have a Sony developer hanging around these parts to tell us when/if issues like this will be addressed.

That would be good, but another thing that would also help is the general consumer being educated in how to deal with customer service without getting angry and over reacting, but also just having a better understand of how to communicate. As a broadcast professional, and former computer repair person. I can tell you when it comes to having a grasp on technology and dealing with customer service most consumers don't have a clue. People Just expect things to work and don't go into a purchase with a cool head or the understanding of the technology they're buying. E.g. people used to and still do expect SD content to look great on an HDTV and return a good tv when it doesn't and give it a bad rating. there are just things about video the average consumer doesn't have in mind, but to really make a wise purchase should. Likewise the new thing these days is netflix streaming. What i've seen of it so far has produced great results. However in comparison to the stream and a disc. The disc is always going to look better in the end. The stream no matter your speed is going to have a lot of loss to the quality to make it easy to stream. So if you take the same HD stream and the BD version i'm going to say the BD is still going to look better. I'm only saying this because i've read people's complaints and compared them to what I know professionally and it just seems like people expect too much sometimes with the limits of technology. Though I do have a critical eye myself, but my critical eye has more to do with is the video good enough to go on the air, is it even good enough to be considered professional etc. I know I have different expectations and outlooks then the average consumer but still I think it's fair to share them here.
post #476 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:

There have been several firmware updates since I tested a S570 so they may behave differently now. I think the way VUDU handled it on their stand-alone boxes would be ideal... letting you select the maximum bandwidth you want the device to use. Sony might be going with the assumption you don't want to allocate all of your bandwidth to one device. In my case it was using up to 1/3 of the available maximum.
post #477 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, could use some help here. I found a free dlna server for the mac online and it's working with my sony player just fine. I do have an issue though. While it finds my mp3 music and Jpeg pictures without a problem and i can see and or hear the music/pictures there are a couple formts it won't fine. one, my AAC files from itunes maybe because windows media player doesn't support these but many of my videos are mp4 or m4v. I know the player handles these flawlessly from a disc or usb drive. but it won't find them over the server. I know the server sees them as i can see them locally via the server's interface. For video does it only count wmv as a suitable playable file? or is the dlna support for the player still buggy? thanks!
post #478 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

DLNA is just a protocol, it has nothing to do with the supported file formats. Sony can implement a perfect DLNA interface but support just few file formats and that's what normally happen with all these devices. We need a media server to transcode on the fly the formats we want, like the PS3 Media Server does for the PS3.

post #479 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

DLNA is just a protocol, it has nothing to do with the supported file formats. Sony can implement a perfect DLNA interface but support just few file formats and that's what normally happen with all these devices. We need a media server to transcode on the fly the formats we want, like the PS3 Media Server does for the PS3.

So, since sony doesn't support my mp4 files or AAC audio over the server is WMV and WMA more likely supported since it's targeted toward windows users? any ideas? I know the dlna support in this player has just been enabled and may still be very premature to maturity but so far it Looks good, but if it has any video support let me know what formats you get to work so i can test here.

Thanks
post #480 of 3954 Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just installed the update. I'm using Nero Media Home Server to stream my videos. I have a mixture of different formats: vob, mkv, wmv, m2ts, mp4. The only format the Sony player sees are the vobs. Does anyone know what formats are supported?

By the way, the vob quality is excellent and streaming works very well.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page