post #541 of 3951 Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL View Post

On my older Samsung player I have the choice to send Audio by Bitstream or PCM. On the Sony all I see is PCM and this is what it says on my Pioneer Elite A/V Receiver. Just for kicks how do I Bitstream the audio and let the Pioneer do the decoding?

You do have the option, AUTO or PCM. Set to "Auto" if you want bitstream.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3951 Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by torose View Post

on the 570, I have HDMI set to "Auto" and getting Multich PCM, 48hz sent to the receiver, Onkyo 3007 that I have it paired with (Dolby TruHD, etc). I found one other post on this problem but no solution.

Any ideas?

As side note, the Onkyo HDMI setup has Audio Out set to OFF

Try setting the "BD Audio Mix Setting" to OFF.
post #543 of 3951 Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM

Many of the music videos on Youtube are actually on Vevo, which is owned by Sony and hosted by Youtube. Guess what? Vevo videos are the blanks in the lists of Youtube videos when you access it from the player. I called Sony helpline and they confirmed that Vevo videos are not accessible. "Maybe they will be licensed in the future." Yes, Sony isn't letting the Sony product owners view the Sony videos on Youtube. Go figure.
post #544 of 3951 Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

Try setting the "BD Audio Mix Setting" to OFF.

Many thanks for the reply, finally stumbled into the solution in another forum plus if I had RTFM, it was there in FAQs
post #545 of 3951 Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwallersv View Post

Same here. In fact, the 570 doesn't recognize TVersity as a valid DLNA server. It finds it, but marks it as no-good.

I'm pretty pissed. DLNA streaming is what I bought this thing for. Add this non-functionality on top of inability to play AVI containers and DivX (h263) encoded video, and this box is serves as nothing better than a boat anchor.

Really pathetic, given what the competition is capable of.

Same here. I installed Tversity on my xp box last night and it didn't recognize that however it identifies windows media server nicely.

Any one, any luck with Tversity or any other media server ?
post #546 of 3951 Old 06-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

Got the BDP-BX57 (this is the Costco version of the 570 that has a MSRP of $199.99 ) yesterday & I am very impressed thus far.

Out of the box, I actually started to read the (recycled pulp-paper) manual, but then I saw the familiar X-bar interface & every thing just seemed to "fit". I know that some people do not like the X-bar interface, but IMHO it is just about the best thing Sony has done in years. After you get familiar with this interface on any device, it just seems, to me, that using it on some other Sony device is so natural.

As others have noted, the apps (though many) tend to have a soft video resolution. I was looking all over for what I was hoping was some sort of noise control/filter but alas, I did not find one. My setup up is mixed BG wireless with WAP-2 (curse my cheap a$$ Acer notebook & its barely functioning N-draft chipset!) but I did not experience all of the problems with Netflix (or the other download apps) that some others upthread have noted. Again, the video was soft & sometimes there was just the slightest of lip syncing problems, but I guess the trade off was a "better" user expience. I have a PS3 with PS3 media server running on one of my ubuntu boxes for comparison. Everything on the PS3 is noticeably sharper but more choppy. For example, the Totally Rad Show (in quicktime no less) played flawlessly on the BX57, but while the HD MP4 version that I serve to my PS3 looks like HD-lite it is somewhat choppy (I'm on Comcast 16/2). I have found that the softness & smoothiness* is preferable to absolute but choppy video fidelity on streamed content.

The video on my Sony 60A202 playing Blu-rays is outstanding. Along with the aforementioned PS3 I had a Samsung BDP-1500 stand alone player & this Sony BDP-BX57 is sharply better than both of them. I was quite surprised by this & what a good surprise it was. I was thinking of upgrading my display to that 72' Visio, but I may hold off for a year or so. What really wowed these 43 year old eyes, was the increase in contrast. Avatar, both Transformers I & II & the Fantastic Mr. Fox were in a word, fantastic! Furthermore, using my favorite DVD test, the opening title sequence of Lord of War! looked amazing. Even better than my Toshiba HD-A2. The DTS-EX 6.1 (even though my setup is only 5.1) sounded no less spectacular. Also, I liked that hitting the display button gives not only resolution/framerate but bit rate of the video & audio as well.

The Gracenote feature is a nice touch, but I am going to have to explore the menus to see if that can be set to manual. Right now it automatically downloads info when you stop playing a movie & it can be a little annoying.

SACD playback (LPCM via HDMI to my Sony STR-DA5200ES) is better than with my PS3 but the lack of Gracenote (or any info, even track numbers or time) is simply appalling. I hope that gets fixed in a update.

Speaking of updates, I did most of this review with the default firmware. I did download the update & try out DNLA. As I mentioned above, I am running the ps3 media server, which the BX57 did see, but could not play anything (AVI, matroiska, WMV, MP4). Also while the BX57 did see the WEB content folder, it did not show any items under that heading when I entered it.

One last thing, compared to the dull whining of a mid-eighties GM product, that is the fan on my Phat 60G PS3, the BDP-BX57 is the veritable Churche Mouse.

All in all, (especially at that price) I am quite pleased with this almost fully featured (its 3D capabilities is just an open book at this point) Blu-ray player & I would recommend it.

*props to Mr. Colbert

I've been trying to find out whether you can connect to Picasa on this player. You seem to have put it through its paces, so I was wondering whether you can answer this question for me. Is Picasa one of the available sites or is it not?

Thanks.

Ken
post #547 of 3951 Old 06-18-2010, 06:39 PM

...does anybody know whether Sony plans to add Yahoo widget capability to the BDP-S570? Also...any idea if Sony will add the RadioTime app? That would be sweet...finally does anybody know whether Sony's upcoming firmware update will add the ability to connect regular NTFS formatted USB external drives?

Please e-mail me with any info at rjlohr@earthlink.net

Thanks!

Bob Lohr
St. Louis, MO.
post #548 of 3951 Old 06-18-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenatug View Post

I've been trying to find out whether you can connect to Picasa on this player. You seem to have put it through its paces, so I was wondering whether you can answer this question for me. Is Picasa one of the available sites or is it not?

Thanks.

Ken

no, picasa is not available currently, will be supported in july update
post #549 of 3951 Old 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
kenatug, I second the reply just above. I did not see picassa as an option, but I welcome that July firmware update. Apparently, that puppy will be packing quite a punch!

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #550 of 3951 Old 06-20-2010, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

kenatug, I second the reply just above. I did not see picassa as an option, but I welcome that July firmware update. Apparently, that puppy will be packing quite a punch!

Hey guys I wanted to let you know, based on a video review of the top 10 blu-ray players I watched yesterday, the sony and the panasonic I exchanged it for are both in the list. The panasonic DMP-BD85k is #4 on the list I think the sony is 7 or 8 maybe it's 9 I can't remember for sure. There were a lot of popular players. The oppo BD83 is #1.

On another note, I might buy the sony again down the road when more of the bugs get worked out and features enabled. I still need to upgrade the bedroom player to a netflix compatible player. All this troubleshooting and finding the perfect player was for the living room again why I chose the panny BD85k i have all other panny components in the living room. I will say the sony has real potential though. I enjoyed what it has to offer. Anyone know if the 370 will have all the same features as the 570 short of built in wifi and 3D support? if so, I might get that one and save money.
post #551 of 3951 Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM

I have a question about the BDP-BX57 which is the equivalent of the BDP-S570.

I looked over this thread and I didn't see any way to do this, but I might have missed something. I am interested in watch streaming video from certain websites such as abc.com or versus.com. Typically the video on these websites is played using Adobe Flash Player. Is there any way of watching the video from the websites I listed using the BDP-BX57?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve
post #552 of 3951 Old 06-20-2010, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swogee View Post

I have a question about the BDP-BX57 which is the equivalent of the BDP-S570.

I looked over this thread and I didn't see any way to do this, but I might have missed something. I am interested in watch streaming video from certain websites such as abc.com or versus.com. Typically the video on these websites is played using Adobe Flash Player. Is there any way of watching the video from the websites I listed using the BDP-BX57?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve

Short answer: No.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #553 of 3951 Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 AM

Question for S570 owners?

Should I buy HDMI 1.3c or 1.4 cable?
post #554 of 3951 Old 06-21-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post

Question for S570 owners?

Should I buy HDMI 1.3c or 1.4 cable?

Good question. Based on few reports from people watching 3D from Directv, 1.4 is recommended. I bet 1.3 will work as well but why take a chance if cables are now so cheap ? Monoprice has good cables at banana prices.

post #555 of 3951 Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM

I have purchased a few cables from monoprice and my experience is very good. the only thing with HDMI cables is Monoprice doesn't say if it is 1.3 or 1.4. How do we know?
post #556 of 3951 Old 06-21-2010, 11:14 AM

slimoli,

Thanks for the response. I pretty much figured the BDP-BX57 was limited to certain "standard" websites such as Netflix but I had to ask to verify. Since I don't have Netflix I guess I'll be returning my Sony unit. I was searching around and I think much of the online video content uses Adobe Flash, and I came across some agreement between Google and Adobe that eventually will result in Blu-Ray players with Adobe Flash capability. Who knows maybe in year or so the new Flash enabled players will be out.

Thanks again.

-Steve
post #557 of 3951 Old 06-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Advanced Member

So, I've got my new BX57 hooked up and running. Got notified today of an update available. But, I can't access it. When I go into Network Settings, I see the messsage "Internet access: failed." The device clearly has an IP address on my wireless LAN, just reporting no Internet.

When I go to Network Update, I see the messsage "Gateway not responding" after a few seconds. I'm puzzled since I can view online content I've watched a Netflix movie and several videos as I look around. Anyone got any ideas?

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #558 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 AM

I am considering purchase of the BDP-S570. Can anyone tell me the max output resolution over component cable?
post #559 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post

So, I've got my new BX57 hooked up and running. Got notified today of an update available. But, I can't access it. When I go into Network Settings, I see the messsage "Internet access: failed." The device clearly has an IP address on my wireless LAN, just reporting no Internet.

When I go to Network Update, I see the messsage "Gateway not responding" after a few seconds. I'm puzzled since I can view online content I've watched a Netflix movie and several videos as I look around. Anyone got any ideas?

I have the same problem....
post #560 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

I am considering purchase of the BDP-S570. Can anyone tell me the max output resolution over component cable?

HD 1080I, for copy righted DVD's 480p. if not protected upcodes to 1080I
post #561 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

HD 1080I, for copy righted DVD's 480p. if not protected upcodes to 1080I

Thank you.
I am also considering the Panasonic DMP-BD85K but I noticed from their downloaded manual the following:

"Component Video Resolution
This sets the video output resolution when connected via the
COMPONENT VIDEO OUT terminal.
Even if you select 720p or 1080i, the video output
resolution is restricted to 480p when images of DVD-Video
discs are output from the COMPONENT VIDEO OUT
terminals."
post #562 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I would think it just the same as other units. If the disk is copy right protected it will stop it at 480p. If not protect up to 1080I over component.

You do know if you back up your DVD it's not longer copy right protected?
post #563 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

I would think it just the same as other units. If the disk is copy right protected it will stop it at 480p. If not protect up to 1080I over component.

You do know if you back up your DVD it's not longer copy right protected?

Appreciate the info.

I have plasma that is only 1080i capable and being lazy I was hoping to just swap a regular DVD player for a Blu-Ray player without having to tear out our cramped setup and then reconfigure AV equipment. Too our receiver will only pass video over HDMI and not audio, so there wasn't a big advantage to HDMI.

Yes, I generally backup DVDs, store the original, keep the copy in an ultra-slim jewel case and use the copy for those in the family who evidently mistake the things for Frisbees .
I am just a little hesitant to spend the additional money for a Blu-Ray burner, and Blu-Ray disks are a little prohibitive also. However it makes sense for us to go that direction until we decide to redo the whole home theater.
post #564 of 3951 Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 PM

I just bought the Sony BDP-S570 for my bedroom, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to set up the network. I use a Linksys router, model WRT54GL, and have had no problems connecting using my PS3.

The main area of issue seems to be when the Sony prompts me to enter my network password. If I enter the correct password, the same one I have programmed into my PS3, it immediately says that I've entered too many characters, seemingly without even trying to connect to the network.

Trying to find where I can change my password on the Linksys router is easier said than done, but I did find one password under the administration tab. Though that only seems to change the password to log into the router on the computer, which is default to "admin".

I've even tried "admin" as the password on the Sony, since it fits the only character count the player will accept. But it still doesn't work.

I'm stumped. The Sony won't let me enter what I know is the correct password and the router won't let me change the password. Anyone have any ideas???

***Nevermind. I figured it out. I tried the key that was set on my router, which was double the amount of characters it had been allowing. But somehow it worked.
post #565 of 3951 Old 06-23-2010, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

Appreciate the info.
Yes, I generally backup DVDs, store the original, keep the copy in an ultra-slim jewel case and use the copy for those in the family who evidently mistake the things for Frisbees .
I am just a little hesitant to spend the additional money for a Blu-Ray burner, and Blu-Ray disks are a little prohibitive also. However it makes sense for us to go that direction until we decide to redo the whole home theater.

Meh I dont know if a BR burner is worth it. Well not for me at least at this time. There are very very few BR disks that I want to own and the ones I do I have (Avatar) and are easy to find. Just back up your normal DVD's as needed and you will be golden.

Good luck!
post #566 of 3951 Old 06-23-2010, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post

This is just a guess, since my S570 is in the mail right now. But when I went to connect my Sony EX700 with a wireless connection I had the same error. Seems my router isn't too smart with DHCP. My D-Link assigned x.x.x.199 to my hardwired computer. Then it assigned x.x.x.198 to my wireless laptop. The TV could find the router but failed to access the internet. Since I had turned off my laptop the router felt it could assign x.x.x.198 to the TV. That caused the failure. I used manual IP assignment and assigned x.x.x.197 to the TV. Magic! Full access. My point here is simply check your IP addresses on all the devices. It's a shot in the dark, but nobody else has offered a suggestion.
post #567 of 3951 Old 06-23-2010, 12:01 PM

Is it just me or does Netflix streaming not have a quality bar while streaming movies to this sony player? How do you know (besides just sight) that the movie you are watching is streaming in HD?? My xbox 360 will at least tell me when it is in HD (or isn't) or how much quality it is streaming at. Am I missing something here?
post #568 of 3951 Old 06-23-2010, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

post #569 of 3951 Old 06-23-2010, 12:37 PM

I realize that each movie will say if it can be streamed in HD or SD. But what I am asking is how do you know the actual quality (HD or SD) it is streaming once you start the movie.
post #570 of 3951 Old 06-23-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwatkins View Post

Many of the music videos on Youtube are actually on Vevo, which is owned by Sony and hosted by Youtube. Guess what? Vevo videos are the blanks in the lists of Youtube videos when you access it from the player. I called Sony helpline and they confirmed that Vevo videos are not accessible. "Maybe they will be licensed in the future." Yes, Sony isn't letting the Sony product owners view the Sony videos on Youtube. Go figure.

Thanks for posting this. I was wondering why none of the Vevo music videos would work. This is a real shame as Vevo music videos are pretty much better quality than others uploading same titles.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page