Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
**UPDATE**
I just spent an hour on the phone with tech support. They escalated me 5 times. The issue: NO PLAYABLE FILES when trying to play ANY kind of JPG or VIDEO (MP4, etc). I am connecting a USB Hard Drive to my wireless router. It sees the file folders, but will not recognize the file types (unless it's a SD MPEG Movie).

They had me throw some JPGs on a thumb drive and hook it straight to the front of the player itself. SAME PROBLEM- it will not recognize a simple JPG file (file came right off the camera). IT DID PLAY Mp3, however...

LOOOOOONG story short- he is going to escalate to exec. engineering, and see if there's a Firmware Update coming out that allows this player to actually DO WHAT THEY SOLD US ON IT DOING. He is also going to try to re-create the problem right their office. He told me if they cannot offer a solution, they will offer me an exchange for a different player, but he admitted that there aren't any players that have the functionality of this one. I smell class-action all over this. He is supposed to be calling me back as soon as he hears something either way- most likely next week. I'll update you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 AM

I have. My N router (Comcast) speedtest reports about 21Mbps down, 2Mbps up...the 570 sees the wireless and connects perfectly. Two separate W7 Ultimate laptops are seen from the XMB menu on the 570 and I can pull up all pics, videos and music from both. Caveat is that the 570 only connect to Windows Media Player so you have organized the content in WMP in such a way that you can navigate.

Music runs fine.

Pics - so so. Seems pixelated.

Videos - another story. Not sure if I have my setting wrong or the laptops (Lenovo X200 and Sony Vaio VGN series) are just not powerful enough but all videos look crappy. Sounds comes over great but all are terribly pixelated. Note that most of the movies quality is pretty low and look great on iPhone or laptop screens. I'm testing a download of a 720p and a 1080p movie later today and I'll let you know if it streams and produces a better picture.

Side note - plugging a 16GB thumb drive into front or rear USB is seen immediately by the 570 and produces great quality. Formatting a 55GB HDD to 2 FAT32 partitions of 25GB each (using a virtual image of XP to do it as Vista/W7 won't give you the option of FAT32 - only NTFS) also runs awesome.

Lastly - I also have the a PC connected to the AVR via HDMI and use LogMeIn to connect to it for PC control...works great and you can see full PC control on the LCD but the lappie isn't powerful enough to run HD movies directly through AVR. Best best is direct from BD or DVD disk, thumb/HDD drive or if you can figure out DLNA is a way that it can stream clear.
post #633 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:15 AM

SpiderMaker-
Can you be more specific on how you're able to see pics/videos? What OS are you running? I know you're running Media Player to do it...
Thanks!
post #634 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Quick update - just tried a 720p .avi version of Fight Club over DLNA - like before, sound is great but still pretty pixelated. It's a 3GB file and took a bit longer to buffer but not bad.

One issue - fast forwarding produced a hung picture and then crapped out with an error saying "corrupted or unsupported file type". It's an .avi and WMP see's it so I don't think it's unsupported. Playing it directly from lappie inside WMP also proves it's not corrupted.

Got me.

How to get DVD or BD quality over DLNA........?
post #635 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:20 AM

I have 2 W7 Ultimate laptops that can be seen from the 570. My Lenovo X200 is the one I primarily use for streaming.
post #636 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 AM

**UPDATE**
I just re-tried viewing JPGs via Media Player and it worked fine. Music also works fine. The exact same JPG files WILL NOT play from a USB Drive connected to my router (ie- media sharing drive) OR from a Thumb Drive connected to the front of the unit.

I also just got a call back from tech support- he asked me to email him some sample files so he can test it himself. I sent him JPGs, but need to find small enough video files that can be emailed to him. I'll keep you posted.
post #637 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 AM

SpiderMaker-
Just want to be clear here-
You tried an AVI file over DLNA. That means you DID NOT go through Windows Media Player- you hooked it right up to a USB Drive (or NAS) on your network somehow and it worked???
post #638 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 12:30 PM

Incorrect - I accessed WMP from the 570 and streamed an .avi to the LCD via wi-fi.
post #639 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 12:59 PM

Just tried both a TIFF and JPEG photo from a thumb drive connected directly to the USB port on the front of the 570 and it reports that no files are present. Curious what photo format will work on this player...
post #640 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 02:02 PM

EXACTLY. The standard formats that they SAID will work, in fact, DO NOT. It's ridiculous. We were sold a box of lies with this one.

Soo- apparently, NO ONE has been able to stream ANY kind of video/photos/music from a USB Drive via DLNA UNLESS it's SD MPEG and via Windows Media Player. What a waste. I want my money back.
post #641 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Not sure I totally agree: you're connecting storage (thumb or HDD) to your wireless router USB and expecting to see it from your 570. In theory I think that's the best way but Sony requires some kind of media server interface - like WMP. As per the DLNA spec it simply allows DLNA compliant devices (TV's, BD's) to interoperate with a DLNA PC to play video/music/photo's.

I may be wrong but you're looking for the 570 to see your NAS-like setup natively like it's directly connected to the USB port on the player...and it won't work in any .

Now - I do agree that not seeing JPEG format from either the USB port on the player or via WMP using DLNA is odd. The spec sheet says it supports JPEG...who knows on this one. To be honest, I don't have much need/interest in seeing photo's via DLNA. My biggest challenge is seeing clean and clear video w/o the huge pixelation I'm getting today.
post #642 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 03:59 PM

points taken. However- I'm having the issue that it won't even recognize the formats is SAYS it does- whether thru DLNA/USB HD, or direct to the unit itself, or thru media player. It won't play JPG, won't play MP4, AVI, etc.
post #643 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 PM

Is anyone using a powerline adapter provide internet connectivity since the built-in WIFI appears inadequate/defective (or both)...? Is there a particular mfg/model that is recommended?

I hate to have to buy a powerline adapter to get connectivity but no other alternative (no wired ethernet available and no desire to run lines).

Thanks for the info.
post #644 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Liked: 16
I have viewed jpg photos using the front usb port on my 570.

The usb is formatted using FAT32. The photos were taken with an iPhone and copied to the thumb drive, not altered in any way and viewed.

The reason I have it formatted with FAT32 is that I've been using this thumb drive to view photos on our Wii for months, and the Wii will not work unless it is FAT32.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #645 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 PM

Tech support DID tell me that the drive has to be FAT32 as well. What I don't get is- it recognizes the folders and file names of the files- just won't display them. Makes no sense to me.
post #646 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspecter View Post

EXACTLY. The standard formats that they SAID will work, in fact, DO NOT. It's ridiculous. We were sold a box of lies with this one.

Soo- apparently, NO ONE has been able to stream ANY kind of video/photos/music from a USB Drive via DLNA UNLESS it's SD MPEG and via Windows Media Player. What a waste. I want my money back.

Hold on it works me. I am using a Linksys wrt610n router with a 1.5T usb hdd attached (the router has a media server function). My S-570 is connected wireless using the 5ghz band. Dvd files music, pictures, and netflix working very nicely. No mkv or blu-ray files though, as least not yet. Not using WMP at all.
post #647 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 08:22 PM

swak-
can you tell us what file types specifically you're using for pictures/movies? I'd REALLY like to get this working...
post #648 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 10:23 PM

ok- UPDATE. I got this partially working now.

LONG story short- I unplugged my USB HD from the router, plugged it back in (I'm using a Netgear WNDR3700). NOW It's getting more playable files via DLNA and standalone hard drive without using windows media player! It's getting JPG files half way decently (shows thumbnails for some, not for others, even tho they're the same exact size/type, origin, etc). But it displays them all! Kinda cool.

It's also displaying VOB files for video (ie- Video_TS from when you rip a DVD). HOWEVER- it WILL NOT display AVI using this method. I will try AVI via WMP and see how that goes.
post #649 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 10:27 PM

nope- won't play the AVI file via Windows Media Player
post #650 of 3951 Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM

Got the player at Costco last week after 2 Insignia wireless BD players died on me. One problem, I've been through every setting possible, but several older TV shows that I stream through Netflix are showing up 4:3 and I've tried everything on the TV, BD player and Stereo Yamaha VX665 to get this to work. On the Insignia, every thing went to 16x9.

Other problem, hooked it up to my Windows 7 computer network and shared my folders but the player doesn't see them, I can run video (avi looks terrible) if I move my files into the folders it defaults to, don't know what to do to make this work.

Streaming...running an older G router and fairly slow internet, SD stuff shows up fine, HD is garbage, unless I string a Cat 4 cable across the room. The insignia handled HD wireless like a champ, oh well.

Potential deal breaker for me to return this is the inability to play .avi. I took some avi files and converted them, but they played in 4:3. This is infuriating.

Any ideas?
post #651 of 3951 Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euqruob View Post

Got the player at Costco last week after 2 Insignia wireless BD players died on me. One problem, I've been through every setting possible, but several older TV shows that I stream through Netflix are showing up 4:3 and I've tried everything on the TV, BD player and Stereo Yamaha VX665 to get this to work. On the Insignia, every thing went to 16x9.

It sounds klike you are finally seeing these 'older' TV shows the way they were meant to be, and you were 'stretching' them on your other setup. There may be a setting on the 570 to change from 'black bars' for 4:3 content to 16:9. IMHO though, stretching that stuff looks funny anyway. (Because you did not mention the exact show, I'm guessing here a little from your 'old TV show' description.

Quote:

Other problem, hooked it up to my Windows 7 computer network and shared my folders but the player doesn't see them, I can run video (avi looks terrible) if I move my files into the folders it defaults to, don't know what to do to make this work.

Guessing here a little too, but it sounds like you are using WMP to connect by DNLA. If that is the case, then only what you have in the folders WMP is watching will show up on your 570. Hence, the reason you have to move files into those folders to be seen.

Just go into your WMP's settings and add more folders for it to watch and catalog.

Quote:

Streaming...running an older G router and fairly slow internet, SD stuff shows up fine, HD is garbage, unless I string a Cat 4 cable across the room. The insignia handled HD wireless like a champ, oh well.

Yup, many posts here point to a 'poor antenna' on the 570. Mine is hard wired, so all is well here......

Quote:

Potential deal breaker for me to return this is the inability to play .avi. I took some avi files and converted them, but they played in 4:3. This is infuriating.

See my 1st response here.........

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #652 of 3951 Old 07-04-2010, 08:06 PM

Liked: 14
I may have found a solution (at least for me) for choppy wireless connections. I have a Dlink Dir 655. For wireless channels it was set to Auto scan. I disabled it and found a channel that worked best for me and manualy selected it (6), so far so good. Hope this helps. I'm watching Netfix as I write this and it looks good. If things change for the worse, I'll report it..
post #653 of 3951 Old 07-04-2010, 09:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

I may have found a solution (at least for me) for choppy wireless connections. I have a Dlink Dir 655. For wireless channels it was set to Auto scan. I disabled it and found a channel that worked best for me and manualy selected it (6), so far so good. Hope this helps. I'm watching Netfix as I write this and it looks good. If things change for the worse, I'll report it..

I'm also using the D-LInk 655 and I find it works quite well. Have you added the update to FW134? I tried but it won't display 134 and their tech support is not the best.
post #654 of 3951 Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

I'm also using the D-LInk 655 and I find it works quite well. Have you added the update to FW134? I tried but it won't display 134 and their tech support is not the best.

Mine did same thing. Here's how to solve it: First backup your settings. Then do a factory reset. Then re-install firmware. Then restore settings and voila the firmware will show correctly.
post #655 of 3951 Old 07-05-2010, 08:22 AM

First post here. I recently upgraded to a Sony 470 and the first two movies we watched had 1-2 second audio drops about 8 times during the movie. So, I figured there was something wrong with the player. Video & Audio Center replaced it immediately. The next unit had the same problem. So, I figured there must be some firmware problem and decided to go to the next level and get the 570...... Yup... same problem. I get 1-2 second audio drops about 6-8 times per movie, regardless of format. Blu-ray and standard DVD's. I have updated the firmware, have a hardwired 8mb DSL connection. I can use my other Sony Blu-ray player without any issues. I am running a Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV receiver. Yesterday we watched Pirate Radio on Amazon Video On Demand. Incredible video and audio quality (5.1) and just like the blu-ray discs, we got the 1-2 second audio drops about 8 times during the movie. So, the audio drops on Blu-ray discs, standard DVD's and streaming video from Amazon.

Can anybody help me with something to try? My technical knowledge is very basic about these systems.... so please be gentle.

Thanks for any ideas,
Greg
post #656 of 3951 Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregEJ View Post

First post here. I recently upgraded to a Sony 470 and the first two movies we watched had 1-2 second audio drops about 8 times during the movie. So, I figured there was something wrong with the player. Video & Audio Center replaced it immediately. The next unit had the same problem. So, I figured there must be some firmware problem and decided to go to the next level and get the 570...... Yup... same problem. I get 1-2 second audio drops about 6-8 times per movie, regardless of format. Blu-ray and standard DVD's. I have updated the firmware, have a hardwired 8mb DSL connection. I can use my other Sony Blu-ray player without any issues. I am running a Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV receiver. Yesterday we watched Pirate Radio on Amazon Video On Demand. Incredible video and audio quality (5.1) and just like the blu-ray discs, we got the 1-2 second audio drops about 8 times during the movie. So, the audio drops on Blu-ray discs, standard DVD's and streaming video from Amazon.

Can anybody help me with something to try? My technical knowledge is very basic about these systems.... so please be gentle.

Thanks for any ideas,
Greg

Since you've changed the BDP player it's probably not the problem. It's possible it's the HDMI connections. Make sure cables are good and check the settings for audio on both receiver and bdp player. Also turn off HDMI control on player and receiver. Not sure what HDMI control on receiver is called but on the sony it's under "Control for HDMI" I believe. On the setup in your receiver (not familiar with Pioneer receivers) look under it's setup for audio and look for things to change such as sampling rate 48 or 96 and the like.
post #657 of 3951 Old 07-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Thank you for the response jjthenovice. I have already swapped out the HDMI cables. I am pouring over the receiver manual right now to see if I am missing anything. This issue does not exist with my Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray player. The only thing I can think of is a compatiblity issue with the newer technology Sony blu-ray players. What has changed? My Pioneer receiver is not that old and is a fairly high end 7.1 unit. I sure hope I don't have to upgrade my receiver.

Greg
post #658 of 3951 Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the response jjthenovice. I have already swapped out the HDMI cables. I am pouring over the receiver manual right now to see if I am missing anything. This issue does not exist with my Sony BDP-S550 blu-ray player. The only thing I can think of is a compatiblity issue with the newer technology Sony blu-ray players. What has changed? My Pioneer receiver is not that old and is a fairly high end 7.1 unit. I sure hope I don't have to upgrade my receiver.

Greg

Check your BD Audio Mix Settings on your player and if it's on turn it off and see what that does.
post #659 of 3951 Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks again JJ. I appreciate your thoughts. I did turn off BD Audio Mix earlier this week and it did not solve the problem..... I'm still researching.

Greg
post #660 of 3951 Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Greg

You can pinpoint your problem a bit by bypassing the HDMI sound and running the sound through optical. See if it still cuts out there. Does the picture flash or anything when the sound cuts out? If its a handshake issue, the picture should be affected as well. It sounds like a mis-setting on either the BRP or the receiver.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page