Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 05:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
PDurandjr, I have a similar situation as yours.

I don't connect to my computer but I do connect to a Network Drive and am not able to play any files (Images, music, videos except mpeg and vob files). I've got a ton of of mp4's that I would love to play.

Any help would be appreciated

Matt Olieman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDurandjr View Post

I'm a newbie to this forum. I have a strong technical background as I am a network administrator for a law firm. I've had my sony for nearly 5 months now. I bought this particular model due to its wifi and dlna capabilities. I have a NAS which supports dlna. I can get my bluray player to see it and I can play music and look at pictures just fine but I cannot play videos of any file type. Every folder I go into on the player the player says there are no playable videos. I think I've done everything right and I've tried every single video type so it has to be an issue with the player. Anyone been able to play video files successfully via dlna?

You have done everything right. The fact that a device is DLNA compliant only means it can communicate with other DLNA gear but doesn't mean it can natively process most video files . I tested several different video formats and the only stuff I could play was a SD MPEG2 movie. I don't expect the S570 to replace a media player and that's why I keep my Asus OPlay which plays almost every file format I know and is very cheap (under 100 bucks).

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #723 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Thanks slimoli for the info. Not the news I was hoping to read but one can only hope that future firmware updates by Sony will allow more formats to be played. I'm quickly getting the impression that if I bought this player mainly for its dlna comparability I may have bought the wrong machine...
post #724 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 12:04 PM

Liked: 11
My DLNA experience :

Pictures and mp4 are fine: mp4 videos play smoothly, and take very little time before start playing
VOB files: shown in the player as MPEG. Take forever to buffer, then when play the video is very choppy, stops and goes every 5 seconds or so
post #725 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 02:53 PM

I need some clarification on Sony BD57 1080p. I am connected thru Onkyo 506 with hdmi. to Toshiba 72mx196. When I play a bluray and request details it shows 1080/60i. also on the TV it shows 1080i This doesn't seem correct. Comments are appreciated and a solution would be welcomed
Blu-ray is set up for 1080/24
post #726 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

My DLNA experience :

Pictures and mp4 are fine: mp4 videos play smoothly, and take very little time before start playing
VOB files: shown in the player as MPEG. Take forever to buffer, then when play the video is very choppy, stops and goes every 5 seconds or so

Thanks for your response. Could you please tell me where your files are located; network drive or your PC.

I use a IOMEGA 1 TB network drive set for DLNA and am only able to play VOB and MPEG files. None of the other type files appear.

This has nothing to do with the network drive, but, I'm running Win XP Pro, up to date version.

If you are able to run them off of a network drive please tell me your settings.

Matt Olieman
post #727 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molieman View Post

PDurandjr, I have a similar situation as yours.

I don't connect to my computer but I do connect to a Network Drive and am not able to play any files (Images, music, videos except mpeg and vob files). I've got a ton of of mp4's that I would love to play.

Any help would be appreciated

Mine refuses to play any mp4's even though other members say they can do so. Every folder I go to the I know has mp4 files I just get a message saying that there are no playable files in the folder. I'm at a loss. I will keep digging. If I find anything I'll let you know.
post #728 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your response. Could you please tell me where your files are located; network drive or your PC.

I use a IOMEGA 1 TB network drive set for DLNA and am only able to play VOB and MPEG files. None of the other type files appear.

This has nothing to do with the network drive, but, I'm running Win XP Pro, up to date version.

If you are able to run them off of a network drive please tell me your settings.

My mp4 files are in a networked PC.
post #729 of 3947 Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM

According to Sony's webiste the following videos are compatible:
MPEG-2: Enhanced for HD, also used for playback of DVDs and HDTV recordings.
MPEG-4 AVC: Part of the MPEG-4 standard also known as H.264 (High Profile and Main Profile).
SMPTE VC-1: A standard based on Microsoft® Windows Media® Video (WMV) technology.

I am having the same problem as you, I am trying to stream the .m2ts video files that i have recorded with Sony cx-550.
post #730 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks midnightman Is your network hard wired or are you using wifi?

My S570 is not seeing my PC but is seeing my network drive. How did you setup your PC for the S570 to see your PC.

Thanks for your help

Matt Olieman
post #731 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlnc View Post

Then this firmware update added a bug that I reported to Sony today. Now certain movies with PIP (namely Sunshine) have PIP defaulted to ON and no way to turn it off.

Sony's tech support is horrible. I first tried a chat session and couldn't make the person understand what was happening. So then I tried a phone call.

They had me reset my player and try it. It still happened. I explained that it didn't happen before the firmware update. They told me to ship it to Sony for repair (at my expense of course!).

I had the same problem this weekend, but unfortunately mine is too old to return. It sucks, too, because I was really in the mood to watch Sunshine...without occasional PIP interruptions. I realize Sony can't exactly QA the firmware upgrades with every single title, but it'd be nice if you could at least get them to acknowledge that something's wrong when dealing with them. Heck, the first thing I do when customers report an issue with our software is attempt to recreate it. Can't Sony get a copy of Sunshine and attempt to play it in a fully updated S570?
post #732 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 09:39 AM

My BEST advice to everyone: just give up DLNA streaming and use this blu-ray player as it is: to play blu-ray discs, blu-ray 3D discs and online video streaming services like Netflix...

DLNA streaming only gives you frustration and even when it works, the quality/performance will surely disappoint you.
post #733 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My BEST advice to everyone: just give up DLNA streaming and use this blu-ray player as it is: to play blu-ray discs, blu-ray 3D discs and online video streaming services like Netflix...

DLNA streaming only gives you frustration and even when it works, the quality/performance will surely disappoint you.

Agree 100%. Forget about it !

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #734 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

What server are you using, or is this just Win7/Vista sharing media?

carry on with your HD-Lite Directv loving banter! <--Comedy Gold
Don't fall for the HDMI 1.3 Hype!
post #735 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo_P View Post

Appreciate the info.

I have plasma that is only 1080i capable and being lazy I was hoping to just swap a regular DVD player for a Blu-Ray player without having to tear out our cramped setup and then reconfigure AV equipment. Too our receiver will only pass video over HDMI and not audio, so there wasn't a big advantage to HDMI.

Yes, I generally backup DVDs, store the original, keep the copy in an ultra-slim jewel case and use the copy for those in the family who evidently mistake the things for Frisbees .
I am just a little hesitant to spend the additional money for a Blu-Ray burner, and Blu-Ray disks are a little prohibitive also. However it makes sense for us to go that direction until we decide to redo the whole home theater.

What does everyone use to back up their DVDs? Sorry, newby here
post #736 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Agree 100%. Forget about it !

Disagree. I am happy with my DVD streaming performance, hoping eventually BD will be possible too. My assumption is that if you have a fast (gigabit or N) network connection and fast internet (for Netflix) you would have similiar success and like this feature. Hope Sony continues to support this feature.
post #737 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Since Sony advertises and sells the player based in part on its DLNA support and some members bought the player for that feature, I think it's lousy "advice" to tell forum members what they should or should not be discussing. This forum is exactly the kind of place where members should come to exchange technical information about gear, especially since Sony itself does such a mediocre job documenting and providing such info about the player's feature. You may not be interested in DLNA support but some people are. I personally am not interested in DLNA but I am glad members who are are using this thread to help each other out. They should be encouraged, not told to shut up.
post #738 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Disagree. I am happy with my DVD streaming performance, hoping eventually BD will be possible too. My assumption is that if you have a fast (gigabit or N) network connection and fast internet (for Netflix) you would have similiar success and like this feature. Hope Sony continues to support this feature.

That's not the point. I have a VERY fast connection and everything is hard-wired (Gigabit). What we complain about is the lack of support for MOST of the video files. MKV,ISO,HD MPEG2 and several other formats are either not recognized at all or play with artifacts. DVD is SD and one of the few formats that can be played. The Sony doesn't work with other media servers, like the PS3 MS and the Windows Media Server is well known to be very limited.

Based on reports here, it looks like the Windows 7 is a bit better than the Vista but overall the Sony is pretty poor as a media player.

Netflix plays flawlessly and I never had any glitch but this is not part of the issue.

post #739 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlee View Post

Since Sony advertises and sells the player based in part on its DLNA support and some members bought the player for that feature, I think it's lousy "advice" to tell forum members what they should or should not be discussing. This forum is exactly the kind of place where members should come to exchange technical information about gear, especially since Sony itself does such a mediocre job documenting and providing such info about the player's feature. You may not be interested in DLNA support but some people are. I personally am not interested in DLNA but I am glad members who are are using this thread to help each other out. They should be encouraged, not told to shut up.

You got the wrong message. Nobody told anybody to shut up. My feeling is that some people don't know the difference between supporting DLNA (which Sony does) and being able to decode different file formats, specially video (which Sony doens't do well). We are just saying that for those who is complaining and expect miracles with a future firmware update, chances are the player will continue to work with very limited file support.

This is nothing against the player, it's just the fact that some people is expecting too much. Other Bluray players also have limited video decoding, it's not only the Sony. The LG seems to be better in this realm but has other problems.

Just to give you an example, Directv has implemented some DLNA support more than a year ago for their DVRs. They still can only play SD MPEG2 videos, the same as the Sony.

post #740 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 05:28 PM

I bought the Sam's Club version of this player a couple of days ago. Everything went smoothly with setup and the software update. Everything works well except streaming. I had no trouble setting up and accessing my home network wirelessly. No trouble entering the codes with Sony and Netflix, etc., and getting my accounts to come up.

However, Netflix and other services refuse to stay connected for more then a few minutes (if that) at a time when trying to play videos. I have a solid internet connection and speed and have no trouble whatsoever streaming with my notebook which uses a little Atom processor from anywhere in the house. The notebook plays perfectly without dropouts or interuptions.

I decided to try a hard wire internet connection. The Sony recognized the wired connection but still had the same problem with streaming.

Is this a common problem with this unit? Do I have a lemon? If anyone can tell me something to try I would appreciate it.

In the event that it is a defective unit and I have to return it, which unit would be the most reliable for wireless streaming? I am thinking Samsung C6900 or LG BD570. Others? I don't think I want another Sony.
post #741 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM

Just installed a firmware update. Re-tried Netflix, and it didn't constantly pause to buffer the content, like it was doing. Too early to really tell, as it may have just been a good network night, but it is promising.

JW

JWhite
post #742 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks midnightman Is your network hard wired or are you using wifi?

My S570 is not seeing my PC but is seeing my network drive. How did you setup your PC for the S570 to see your PC.

Thanks for your help

Wifi. Check your homegroup settings (or whichever network group you're using). Make sure you share libraries and stream pictures, videos,... to all devices on your home network

on S570, refresh server list
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr View Post

What server are you using, or is this just Win7/Vista sharing media?

Windows Media Player (in Windows 7 64 bit)
post #743 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipper IV View Post

I had the same problem this weekend, but unfortunately mine is too old to return. It sucks, too, because I was really in the mood to watch Sunshine...without occasional PIP interruptions. I realize Sony can't exactly QA the firmware upgrades with every single title, but it'd be nice if you could at least get them to acknowledge that something's wrong when dealing with them. Heck, the first thing I do when customers report an issue with our software is attempt to recreate it. Can't Sony get a copy of Sunshine and attempt to play it in a fully updated S570?

Hey all, I'm back on the BDP-S570, I had gone back to panasonic, and had a very solid BD-85k until it developed random issues of crashing and shutting itself off, returned and the replacement came out of the box with a defective ethernet port, it would pass the network tests but couldn't connect to any network services, wireless worked, but that's only a half functional product, anyway i returned it and as it was the last one, i got the 570 again. I have 1 disc with pip, where the pip still doesn't play. the other thing is, has anyone gotten their remote to control a vizio TV? there aren't any vizio codes in the manual. I think this sony is a great player, sony just needs to fix the glitchy firmware.
post #744 of 3947 Old 07-13-2010, 09:05 PM

Hey all I'm a newbie to this thing but here we go. I have a MacBook and was wondering what software for Mac would u guys recommend so that I can do DLNA streaming from my Mac to the Sony player. I looked throughout the forums but so far have only come across windows solutions. Any advice solutions would be appreciated thanks.

Westinghouse LVM37W3
Xbox 360
Phillips dvd 642p
Logitech harmony 360 remote
Onkyo HTIB
DreDogg Entertainment
www.theXcene.com
What's Your Xcene?
post #745 of 3947 Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredogg76 View Post

Hey all I'm a newbie to this thing but here we go. I have a MacBook and was wondering what software for Mac would u guys recommend so that I can do DLNA streaming from my Mac to the Sony player. I looked throughout the forums but so far have only come across windows solutions. Any advice solutions would be appreciated thanks.

Here is one package i've tried that works for tlhe mac: http://www.tvmobili.com/download.php

Keep in mind the sony seems to have very limited video support over DLNA so your main files will be mp3 and jpeg. the server software itself supports many more formats. but until Sony opens up that support on the player you'll be limited. Also itunes should be a good dlna streamer as it's supported DLNA in it's sharing options, but the sony player doesn't recognize itunes sharing.
post #746 of 3947 Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 AM

Well- did the firmware upgrade- nope, still won't play CRAP for video files. Considering I bought this to be able to stream my movies- THIS PLAYER SUCKS.

To say to 'forget about it' isn't an option. There are FAR CHEAPER alternatives out there if all I wanted to do was stream NetFlix and watch blu-rays. I, for one, bought this to be able to watch my videos- which, it won't do.

The fact that multiple people have posted they can watch AVI/M4V/WMV/MPG on their system using Win7 and WMP12- I question if that's the problem.

I wish I could take this player back, but Best Buy won't take it after 30 days. I feel ripped off, to say the least. Any other insights on this MAJOR functionality problem?
post #747 of 3947 Old 07-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspecter View Post

Well- did the firmware upgrade- nope, still won't play CRAP for video files. Considering I bought this to be able to stream my movies- THIS PLAYER SUCKS.

To say to 'forget about it' isn't an option. There are FAR CHEAPER alternatives out there if all I wanted to do was stream NetFlix and watch blu-rays. I, for one, bought this to be able to watch my videos- which, it won't do.

The fact that multiple people have posted they can watch AVI/M4V/WMV/MPG on their system using Win7 and WMP12- I question if that's the problem.

I wish I could take this player back, but Best Buy won't take it after 30 days. I feel ripped off, to say the least. Any other insights on this MAJOR functionality problem?

I bought this when my OPPO DVD player died. I do not own any BluRay disks nor do I have a Netflix subscription (at least not yet). I needed an upscaling DVD player and in addition to doing that, it had BluRay, 3D, and Internet and DLNA streaming. Future-proofed, I figured.

DLNA streaming was a challenge. I tried WMP11/XP, Mezzmo, Nero MediaHome, and PSM to no avail. But WMP12/Win7 works like a charm. Does is it do everything I'd want? No. (Why doesn't it play SD VIDEO_TS folders?) But it's a start.

Even at 200Mbps HPNA, streaming quality is nothing to write home about on my 50" Panny plasma. It's alright for TV programs, not movies. So I'll continue burning, or maybe a small portable USB drive. But I can still stream music and photos from WMP11/XP fine. And I'm sure DLNA media streaming will be improved with future firmware updates.

And OPPO says they'll replace my blown power board for free, even though it's out of warranty. Which is good since the Sony doesn't play all the DVDs that the OPPO used to. The upscaling is not on par, but decent nonetheless. So I'm happy.
post #748 of 3947 Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspecter View Post

Read up there were discussions early in this thread about DLNA, it seems like none of the DLNA supported players out there today are perfect, it was mentioned that LG is the strongest point of streaming format support. If streaming from my computer was the main need, i would have purchased an appleTv instead of a blu-ray player, as nothing else will play DRM's itunes content but an apple product. As for a local media player the sony has great support from disc and usb drive. But streaming over the network hasn't caught up.
post #749 of 3947 Old 07-14-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Here is one package i've tried that works for tlhe mac: http://www.tvmobili.com/download.php

Keep in mind the sony seems to have very limited video support over DLNA so your main files will be mp3 and jpeg. the server software itself supports many more formats. but until Sony opens up that support on the player you'll be limited. Also itunes should be a good dlna streamer as it's supported DLNA in it's sharing options, but the sony player doesn't recognize itunes sharing.

Thanks Alot I'll check it out.

Westinghouse LVM37W3
Xbox 360
Phillips dvd 642p
Logitech harmony 360 remote
Onkyo HTIB
DreDogg Entertainment
www.theXcene.com
What's Your Xcene?
post #750 of 3947 Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I got one of these players on July 4th, as my old DVD player in the bedroom had tanked (cheap $50 piece of crap), and I went blu-ray (as I had since upgraded to HD in the bedroom since the crap $50 purchase). Anyway, I got the device plugged in, did all the firmware updates, and all seemed well.

Until I started to use the streaming options.

When I am steaming video from any service vie tried so far (amazon, netflix, etc). I get these two large rectangular bars on the screen near the top. They cover a good 40% of the screen real estate, and are there no matter whether my source is HD or SD. It is not there when i am in the various menus, only when streaming. I've tried switching video modes on my TV (a Samsung LN32B550), no luck. I've looked around in the DVD player menus, and I cant find anything about this. My player firmware is up to date, so i am at a loss to proceed. How do I get rid of these bars during streaming so that I can use these features? Also, what the heck ARE those bars? At first I thought they were really fat display blocks for closed captioning, but they're in the wrong place on the screen for that.

This sometimes happens during DVD playback too, but not every time (although mostly after I try a streaming option). This is fairly annoying, and id like to be able to use the player i bought without these kind of problems.

My player is a Sony BDP-S570/BM U2. Oh, I'm attaching a picture I took of the TV showing these two bars on the screen (man, taking a picture really makes the dust back there show up, I need to clean behind the TV!)

Really don't know where to go with this problem. Any ideas? I have contacted Sony support, but I'm not expecting much from them. Part of the problem is I don't know whether this issue is the blu-ray player or the TV. Not for sure anyway. I suspect it's the player, but I can't prove that.
LL

Joe Siegler - joe@siegler.net
Community Manager - Gearbox Software (Duke Nukem) & Black Sabbath Online
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page