Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[quote=slimoli;18917503]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngwest36 View Post

I can understand jerky on 6.25, but why the hell is the 570 still jerky @ 19?

QUOTE]
Because it's probably not at 19. The wireless antenna (or the lack of) on the S570 is very weak. Keep in mind that a stable speed is as important as the maximum speed. A weak wireless connection will make the speed very unstable. I can stream HD video on my notebook wirelessly at the same place I have my S570. I can't even have a connection with the S570 , 3 walls and 35 feet from the router. I use everything hardwired now and have no problems whatsoever with Netflix.

Good point but bottom line is that even with the homeplug adapter netflix still stutters, so it's not just a stability issue.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 3951 Old 07-17-2010, 06:50 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidermaker View Post

Does anyone have this 570 connected to a Sony Receiver and still able to access the XMB screen???

The XMB menu of my BDP-S570 shows up fine through my Sony Receiver.

My setup:
BDP-S570 connected via HDMI to Sony STR-DA5300ES receiver.
My TV is KDS-60A2000 also connected to receiver via HDMI.
(Netflix plays great in HD quality hard wired with 30 Mbps down Internet speed)

I'm also able to leave Audio Mix to Auto (rather than Off as has been suggested various times on this forum) and I am still able to get DD-THD and DTS-MA to decode on the receiver. I guess having everything Sony makes it more compatible.

I like how if I power on the BDP-S570 the receiver's automatically turns on and sets the correct input on the receiver (I like this feature as I can just eject tray, insert disc and close disc tray and it plays automatically - I still have to power on TV manually though).

Things I miss not having from my previous Sony DVD player:
* no remaining time display - although progress bar is an improvement and it is easy to do a simple subtraction of total time from current play time
* not being able to play at 1.4 x with audio and sound (this was great for documentaries and for crappy movies that you can't turn off but you wished would would go faster ...like Lord of the Rings...hated that movie! Not sure what people see in that crap and I'm a big Sci-Fi fan.

Things that suck:
DLNA - but at least I have a Home Theater PC.
post #783 of 3951 Old 07-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member

[quote=ngwest36;18918437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Good point but bottom line is that even with the homeplug adapter netflix still stutters, so it's not just a stability issue.

So. My latest test was to run a LAN from the player into the other room where the router is and plug it in there. Still stutters.

Moved the player back into the room with the router (about 7 feet away) and set it up wireless again. Stutter almost completely gone. WTF. This is leading me to question my amp (Yamaha RV661) or the TV (Sony KDS 6000) as the cause of the stutter. Off to search the 661 thread...

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #784 of 3951 Old 07-17-2010, 02:30 PM

Does anyone have problems with the player not displaying all the content on YouTube playlist. I have a YouTube playlist with over 50 videos but when I open to play them- I can only see 9 ! Would love to hear from anyone who has any success with longer YouTube playlists
post #785 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Advanced Member

Netflix stutter solved!!

Anyone having problems with netflix or any other streaming video stutter? Turn off your TV's reverse 3:2 pulldown. My problem was related to my Sony KDS A3000's Cinemotion function. Turn it off and the stutter goes away.

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #786 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 AM

Having read this thread and running into frustration in not being able to play any media file over DLNA except mpg, and having waited out for 2 months, i finally give up. Now planning to sell this off...albeit at a loss
post #787 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidthekid View Post

Having read this thread and running into frustration in not being able to play any media file over DLNA except mpg, and having waited out for 2 months, i finally give up. Now planning to sell this off...albeit at a loss

Odd, as I don't have a problem playing other media besides mpg.

Joe Siegler - joe@siegler.net
Community Manager - Gearbox Software (Duke Nukem) & Black Sabbath Online
post #788 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

Odd, as I don't have a problem playing other media besides mpg.

Joe
What other media (VIDEO) can you play? Which file formats ? I tried several formats and could only play .mpg in standard definition. Other formats are not even recognized by the player. I tried .mov, .m2ts,.mkv and .wmv.
I don't have Windows 7, just Vista, and I guess the WMP 12 allows for more formats. Thanks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #789 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Ill have to go check it out. I'm not near the thong now, so I cant tell you at the moment.

Joe Siegler - joe@siegler.net
Community Manager - Gearbox Software (Duke Nukem) & Black Sabbath Online
post #790 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

What other media (VIDEO) can you play? Which file formats ? I tried several formats and could only play .mpg in standard definition. Other formats are not even recognized by the player. I tried .mov, .m2ts,.mkv and .wmv.
I don't have Windows 7, just Vista, and I guess the WMP 12 allows for more formats. Thanks.

Sli,

Have you tried any dvd backups (vob files)? They play fine for me from my network attached usb hard drive. No PC needed for playback. Are you able to "see" your pc from the S-570? If not that is the problem and you need to research enabling a media server in vista.
post #791 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Sli,

Have you tried any dvd backups (vob files)? They play fine for me from my network attached usb hard drive. No PC needed for playback. Are you able to "see" your pc from the S-570? If not that is the problem and you need to research enabling a media server in vista.

I tried .ts folders (with .vob files inside) and no luck. The communication with my Vista PC through WMP 11 is working just fine. I can stream photos and music but the only video files I can play is the .mpg in SD only. I didn't try to play .vob from the USB but that's not something I wanna do anyway. I am interested in playing .vob, .m2ts and .iso. I can play all of them with my Asus O!Play Media Player (exellent!).

I have great experience with PCs and IT, having worked for more than 20 years as a software developer. The video file support on the Sony is very limited and I believe that it will continue to be, even with new updates.
Based on comments here, I believe WMP 12 on Windows 7 works a little better than the WMP 11 and Vista. I also tried several other media servers (Tversity,PS3 MS) and the Sony recognizes the server but doesn't play anything.

On the very first post here (I'm the thread starter) you can see other file formats I tried locally, using a pendriver.

Thanks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #792 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Sli,

My usb hard drive is attached to my Linksys wrt610n router not to the S-570 usb maybe I wasn't clear on that. I am connected wireless to the 570 using the router's 5ghz wireless band and even though signal strengh is low (only 10-15%, 1 or 2 bars) my dvd backups, jpeg photos, and mp3 music stream nicely. My hopes are to be able to stream m2ts and mkv files at some point. Actually some small m2ts files will play now.
post #793 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sli,

My usb hard drive is attached to my Linksys wrt610n router not to the S-570 usb maybe I wasn't clear on that. I am connected wireless to the 570 using the router's 5ghz wireless band and even though signal strengh is low (only 10-15%, 1 or 2 bars) my dvd backups, jpeg photos, and mp3 music stream nicely. My hopes are to be able to stream m2ts and mkv files at some point. Actually some small m2ts files will play now.

You were very clear before, thanks. A HDD linked through a USB to the router doesn't involve the media server on the PC and I expect it to work differently. I don't have a router with NAS capability and I didn't test it.

In my view, the Sx70 has the following problems regarding video streaming:

- The native video files supported are very limited. I could only make .mpg videos to stream in SD.
-There is no support to most other media servers on PCs. I tried PS3 MS, Tversity, Wild Media Server to no avail. The player "sees" the server but nothing is playable. Even not supporting some video files natively, most devices should work with media servers doing the transcode, like the PS3 does.
- It looks like NTFS is not supported locally. The player didn't recognize a HDD formated with NTFS hooked to its USB. Files over 4 GB will have to be broken down in segments. This is very poor implementation, very basic.

I am not concerned about streaming video from my PC, since I use the Asus O!Play for this. Since I am the thread starter, I'm just trying to help people figure what's possible or not with current firmware (like you are doing). IMO, some guys here are expecting too much and misunderstanding what DLNA means. The Sony IS DLNA compliant but will never support all the video files mentioned here. What we should expect is other Media Servers, like the PS3 MS, to work with the player and do the transcoding like they do for the PS3.

If you read the threads about DLNA support on other players, like the Oppo,Samsung and even the LG (looks like the champ on this area), you see they support "some" files but not "most" of them. The DLNA implementation on the Sony Bravia TVs are well known for being very limited, the main reason why I believe they will never make the player a true media player.

post #794 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

"The DLNA implementation on the Sony Bravia TVs are well known for being very limited, the main reason why I believe they will never make the player a true media player".

BTW, I also have a Bravia EX700 TV and with my setup I can stream vob files to it and my PS3 equally well. I will continue to wish for HD streaming on all my SONY stuff.
post #795 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 08:46 PM

I, too, have a sony S570. I was able to steam mpg music easily from Windows Home Media Server (running thanks to WMP 11 on WinXP). I can also stream jpg photos without problem. I have not had success streaming anything else.

Windows MS will not see .VOB files. However, I installed Nero Home Media Essentials, which includes a media server. The Nero server sees the .VOB files. However, the Sony S570 will not play the file the Nero is serving up.

Interestingly, I tried all this with an LG 570 and it could play the .VOB served by Nero without difficulty. Strange. This tells me the problem is with the Sony S570, not the media server.

Has anyone had better luck streaming .VOB files from a PC to the S570?

Thanks!
post #796 of 3951 Old 07-18-2010, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"The DLNA implementation on the Sony Bravia TVs are well known for being very limited, the main reason why I believe they will never make the player a true media player".

BTW, I also have a Bravia EX700 TV and with my setup I can stream vob files to it and my PS3 equally well. I will continue to wish for HD streaming on all my SONY stuff.

Again, .vob is one of the very few file formats with some success. This is standard definition and since it's like a DVD image is expected to work. Like many others here I have several videos in HD in different formats. A true media player should play all of them.The Sony doesn't stream M2TS,MOB,WMV,MKV,TS,ISO,AVI and many others. I didn't test any of them with Windows 7 but with WMP11 nothing could be played. Good luck !

post #797 of 3951 Old 07-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Netflix stutter solved!!

Anyone having problems with netflix or any other streaming video stutter? Turn off your TV's reverse 3:2 pulldown. My problem was related to my Sony KDS A3000's Cinemotion function. Turn it off and the stutter goes away.

Wow - if true this certainly explains a lot. I have the same TV and have been struggling with the Netflix stutter even while Amazon HD works perfectly. I will try this suggestion tonight. [Confirmed: The suggestion did indeed fix the problem for me]
post #798 of 3951 Old 07-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Just picked up a BDP-S570 on Sunday 7.18.10 to replace an older Panasonic standard DVD player. I was able to get it on my 802.11n network and update the players firmware to the latest version. I mainly wanted it for the BlueRay playback and NetFlix HD streaming. The players is hooked via HDMI directly to my Panasonic plasma and via audio digital optical to my Denon surround receiver. That allows me the option to use the player with just the TV alone or the player with the TV and surround receiver when wanted.

Normal DVD's and Blue Ray disks both play fine with full surround as expected. When I stream either standard or HD NetFlix videos the video comes through perfect but the audio is always digital PCM in stereo, no surround. I know that standard NetFlix streaming movies are only in stereo but my understanding is all NetFlix HD movies have a Dolby 5.1 track with them so any NetFlix movie marked as HD should have surround. Is that correct? Does anyone have surround sound working with NetFlix streaming?

I added several HD movies to my NetFlix queue and all played back in only Digital PCM stereo via my Denon receiver.
post #799 of 3951 Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Liked: 11
Netflix doesn't have the 5.1 surround yet, only stereo. They are working on it for later this year from what I have heard.

Larry
post #800 of 3951 Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiefan View Post

Netflix doesn't have the 5.1 surround yet, only stereo. They are working on it for later this year from what I have heard.

I spent a couple of hours last night trying to get it working, duh I even called NetFlix support on the phone and the person on the phone claimed that the HD titles were in surround. I guess this is a live and learn .
post #801 of 3951 Old 07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigauser View Post

I even called NetFlix support on the phone and the person on the phone claimed that the HD titles were in surround.

That's probably technically true. I imagine you could probably get at least Dolby Surround out of 'em (c. 1982).
post #802 of 3951 Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorpheus View Post

Wow - if true this certainly explains a lot. I have the same TV and have been struggling with the Netflix stutter even while Amazon HD works perfectly. I will try this suggestion tonight. [Confirmed: The suggestion did indeed fix the problem for me]

Glad it helped!

HD DVD = 64
Blu-Ray = 171
Blu-Ray 3D = 10
SDVD = 585
post #803 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 07:43 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pannyplasmaowner View Post

Has anyone had better luck streaming .VOB files from a PC to the S570?

I'm able to stream VOBs using Nero to my Sony s570. In fact, that's the only video format that seems to work for me.
post #804 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Anyone able to get other files then MKV to play via USB? Finally using a FAT32 4 gig thumb drive. Only files I can get to play with no issues are MKV. Was hoping AVI would be cant seem to get it to go.
post #805 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

I picked up this player over the weekend and really like the player but I just can't see how I can live with subpar Netflix picture quality compared to my Roku and PS3. If you don't need Netflix is it an excellent BD player.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
post #806 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Anyone able to get other files then MKV to play via USB? Finally using a FAT32 4 gig thumb drive. Only files I can get to play with no issues are MKV. Was hoping AVI would be cant seem to get it to go.

Files saved as MP3 then copied to a USB drive play ok. I'm using Nero 9, but I also have Win7 if you would like me to test with that. This is audio only. You didn't specify video. Point me to an AVI file I can access and I will test that. [you did say play, not watch]
post #807 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Files saved as MP3 then copied to a USB drive play ok. I'm using Nero 9, but I also have Win7 if you would like me to test with that. This is audio only. You didn't specify video. Point me to an AVI file I can access and I will test that. [you did say play, not watch]

Ok watch AVI. I can watch MKV, I have not tried MP3 (not a big music listener). I know Dvix does not work on US units. I think I will try a WMV and a audio avi tonight.
post #808 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:

Turned on the netbook wireless and I get over 19Mbs! I can understand jerky on 6.25, but why the hell is the 570 still jerky @ 19?

I find most speed measuring tools to be hopelessly optimistic. You need to monitor it over time.

You might want to install a network monitoring tool on your netbook and then play a movie and review the 'stats'. You may find your average speed is far less than you imagine.

Here's what I use...

http://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

JWhite
post #809 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 03:11 PM

Well... some might remember (form several pages back) that my Netflix issues are one of constant buffering pauses, rather than the usual other issues reported. After installing the latest firmware, it (at first) seemed better, but last night the pauses came back.... perhaps just a slow network evening.

I has been my sense, for some time now, that the Sony will simply NOT negotiate a stream quality that it can maintain. As slimoli (apparently) correctly observes, the 570 is exceptionally intolerant of slower connections.

I switched back to my Panny BD65 and it paused once, dropped the quality down a couple bars, and then continued on without issue.

JWhite
post #810 of 3951 Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My S570 couldn't play Green Zone in BD. Player freezes after few minutes and it seems it never loaded the disk properly. I tried it on my PS3 and everything looks fine with the disk. I'm requesting a 2nd copy, just in case but it looks I will have to continue to search for a player that plays ALL BD disks (I had 6 already).

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page