Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 3951 Old 08-01-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess it could be seen "somewhat" as a positive that the majority of complaints on here are with respect to the network media aspects of the player. While someday I may try out Netflix (and hope it works with HD) I bought this player after being bit by the Blu-Ray bug. I'll admit I haven't been able to compare HD streaming from my computer, Youtube, Netflix, etc. to Blu-Ray but reviews I read state that Blu-Ray is superior, both in video and audio (I don't think you can stream TrueHD or DTS-MA, correct?). That being said, so far I've found the S570 to be great at BD playback, although I'm not sure how this player stacks up BD-wise with the touted Panny BD-85. I know the Panny is a little better with DVD upconvert, but I compared the Sony to my Samsung 2550 with DVD playback and both suck...even though the 2550 has HQV processing and is supposed to still be one of the best you can get. I won't ever get a Samsung again though (except maybe TV) as their Blu-Ray players have lots of issues and they don't update firmware very often, especially when they're needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3951 Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangon View Post

Ok,

I bought S570 and updated firmware and it's able to connect to youtube etc., Now I want to stream videos (vob/mkv/avi etc) from my Vista Server. Tried the following with no luck.

1. Installed Tversity and configured I can access tversity from my other laptop but my player does not recognizing or show anything in "Connection Server Settings".

My setup:
Verizon Fios Router
Windows Vista PC
Tversity Installed

Please help if there is any other easy way to do this with any other software

i use playon from mediamall to stream internet content to all of my dlna devices connected to all my tv's (this includes 2 bpd-s570's). the s570 as stated does not have alot of file support BUT mine do play all LOCAL files on the network or hard drives. Until a couple of days ago, they would NOT stream any content thru playon. However, playon just released two successive updates and now the s570 IS streaming content from the playon server (hulu, etc). Playon transcodes on the fly so video support from the sony player is not needed. Not sure how Tversity streams, if it transcodes on the fly then there could be an issue on its software side connecting to the sony (this was the problem with playon but they apparently fixed it). However, if Tversity does not transcode and is relying on the sony player then you may still be out of luck. Also, be sure to check all firewall and network settings. My s570's would not even see my network for local file streaming until i killed my Norton firewall, still have not found the correct settings to run the firewall and still have the sony see the other computers on the network. Hope this helps.
post #903 of 3951 Old 08-02-2010, 06:28 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinbone View Post

i use playon from mediamall to stream internet content to all of my dlna devices connected to all my tv's (this includes 2 bpd-s570's). the s570 as stated does not have alot of file support BUT mine do play all LOCAL files on the network or hard drives. Until a couple of days ago, they would NOT stream any content thru playon. However, playon just released two successive updates and now the s570 IS streaming content from the playon server (hulu, etc). Playon transcodes on the fly so video support from the sony player is not needed. Not sure how Tversity streams, if it transcodes on the fly then there could be an issue on its software side connecting to the sony (this was the problem with playon but they apparently fixed it). However, if Tversity does not transcode and is relying on the sony player then you may still be out of luck. Also, be sure to check all firewall and network settings. My s570's would not even see my network for local file streaming until i killed my Norton firewall, still have not found the correct settings to run the firewall and still have the sony see the other computers on the network. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! I thought I remembered Playon working for me and my 570 at one time, but last Friday it did not. I thought I was losing my mind.

I will try it again when I get home tonight and report back. I'll make sure I'm running the latest version of everything before I test.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #904 of 3951 Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinbone View Post

Thanks for the reply. I will try to install playon (not freeware right) but my problem is my s570 does not detect any network servers do you know what ports I need to open in the routers and also what menus I need to go in s570.

thanks
post #905 of 3951 Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. I will try to install playon (not freeware right) but my problem is my s570 does not detect any network servers do you know what ports I need to open in the routers and also what menus I need to go in s570.

thanks

Playon will open the correct stuff for you during the install. Also - I believe they have a free trial period, so you can try to see if you can get it to work for you with no worries.

I did not get a chance to try mine last night. I will do so soon, and report back here.

As far as the menu to look at on the 570 itself, the one you want is in the 'setup' section. I'm not in front of mine right now, but its one of the ones with the word 'network' in it. If Playon does not show up automatically, one of the setup choices will do a search for it.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #906 of 3951 Old 08-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlon646464 View Post

Playon will open the correct stuff for you during the install. Also - I believe they have a free trial period, so you can try to see if you can get it to work for you with no worries.

I did not get a chance to try mine last night. I will do so soon, and report back here.

As far as the menu to look at on the 570 itself, the one you want is in the 'setup' section. I'm not in front of mine right now, but its one of the ones with the word 'network' in it. If Playon does not show up automatically, one of the setup choices will do a search for it.

I just setup playon and everything is perfect works.

I was wondering Tversity as that is freeware. When I tried to connect to Tversity from the player it says "Failed" . any ideas anyone ?
post #907 of 3951 Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:

I just setup playon and everything is perfect works.

I was wondering Tversity as that is freeware. When I tried to connect to Tversity from the player it says "Failed" . any ideas anyone ?

I tried Tversity a few years ago, and found Playon to work better for what I wanted and haven't looked back.

The reason I wanted something like this a few years ago is because my DirecTV DVR's also stream from Playon......

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #908 of 3951 Old 08-04-2010, 05:27 AM

We used our BDP-S570 for the first time last night and noticed that a black bar appears across the top of the screen when you turn on or off subtitles. It goes away after a few seconds, but is very annoying while it is there. Is this normal?
post #909 of 3951 Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 AM

I downloaded the latest PlayOn version this morning, and all is good again for me. Everything I have plays again using it with my S570, including Hulu, Netflix and all of the channels PlayOn provides.

When I have more time I will list the file types that work for me. If you would like me to test a specific file type, just let me know.

Two things:

1) I had to request this update, it did not happen automatically for me. It may have eventually happened, but as I said I did it manually.

2) PlayOn now includes a beta section in it's settings screen that allows you to stream to your iPhone & iPod Touch. Very cool, and works nicely.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #910 of 3951 Old 08-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

The Playon thing sounds like fun but, it defeats my goal of not needing to have a pc running somewhere. I previously posted that I can stream dvd files (vob) from my routers attached usb hdd so I tried some software called Blu-ray to DVD and backed up a blu-ray disk to a dvd file set. Guess what, it works and the quality was very good.
post #911 of 3951 Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Can anyone tell me if the 570 has built in memory for BDLIVE and how much memory. There is an option in the manual that states BD Data Jack Selection. But it does not say anywhere in the manual how much internal memory there is.
Also the only difference I can find in comparing the 2 manuals for the 470/570 is the internal memory (if there is any) and wifi built into the 570. Can anyone point out any other differences. I am still undecided between the 2. I don't care for wireless as I wired my home completely. But if I go with the 470 then I would have to buy memory which adds to the cost and then it might be worth buying the the 570.
Thx

I forgot a couple of things-Does the 470/570 play DL DVD's? And can a standard USB thumb drive be used instead of the mini usb drive that the older bdps550 player needed?
post #912 of 3951 Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post

Can anyone tell me if the 570 has built in memory for BDLIVE and how much memory. There is an option in the manual that states BD Data Jack Selection. But it does not say anywhere in the manual how much internal memory there is.
Also the only difference I can find in comparing the 2 manuals for the 470/570 is the internal memory (if there is any) and wifi built into the 570. Can anyone point out any other differences. I am still undecided between the 2. I don't care for wireless as I wired my home completely. But if I go with the 470 then I would have to buy memory which adds to the cost and then it might be worth buying the the 570.
Thx

I forgot a couple of things-Does the 470/570 play DL DVD's? And can a standard USB thumb drive be used instead of the mini usb drive that the older bdps550 player needed?

They each have 1 GB internal memory. The major difference is the 570 has wifi built in. Yes it (they) will play DL DVDs.
post #913 of 3951 Old 08-06-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I downloaded the latest PlayOn version this morning, and all is good again for me. Everything I have plays again using it with my S570, including Hulu, Netflix and all of the channels PlayOn provides.

When I have more time I will list the file types that work for me. If you would like me to test a specific file type, just let me know.

Two things:

1) I had to request this update, it did not happen automatically for me. It may have eventually happened, but as I said I did it manually.

2) PlayOn now includes a beta section in it's settings screen that allows you to stream to your iPhone & iPod Touch. Very cool, and works nicely.

I am able to stream on local files with PlayOn but have noticed that it takes about 15 secs before playback starts. Also the 1080p res files start stuttering after few secs but there is no such problem with lower resolution. My 570 is hardwired to the router. This seems to be PlayOn transcoding issue since when I play the file directly on the PC and connect to 570 through DVI/HDMI there is no time lag or stuttering for high res files. I am wondering if others have noticed this
post #914 of 3951 Old 08-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollywood4u View Post

I am able to stream on local files with PlayOn but have noticed that it takes about 15 secs before playback starts. Also the 1080p res files start stuttering after few secs but there is no such problem with lower resolution. My 570 is hardwired to the router. This seems to be PlayOn transcoding issue since when I play the file directly on the PC and connect to 570 through DVI/HDMI there is no time lag or stuttering for high res files. I am wondering if others have noticed this

No issue like that here.

How much horsepower and or memory on your PC? Do you run a lot of stuff in the background? Win 7?

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #915 of 3951 Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post

They each have 1 GB internal memory. The major difference is the 570 has wifi built in. Yes it (they) will play DL DVDs.

Thx.But what about the USB drive?
post #916 of 3951 Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grod777 View Post

Thx.But what about the USB drive?

As I understand it, the 470 does not have internal memory and hence the rear jack is for this only. The 570 has 1 gig internal, but if you need more for BD Live, a larger USB can be put in the back jack. I think I'd go with the 570 or Costco's Sony BDP-BX57 for 229.
post #917 of 3951 Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 PM

Hi...

I have a question I'm hoping some of you guys with the BDP-S570 can help me with.

I'm using it to display a photo slideshow from my DLNA server. The slideshow works fine, but there is no option to add music while playing the slideshow. I can go into music and play mp3s and I can go into photos and play a slideshow, but I have no way to play both at the same time. Can someone confirm this on their player for me??

I even contacted Sony technical support and they seemed clueless. I can do this on my 52" XBR9 Bravia TV just fine. I thought maybe the BD player's firmware didn't support this function, but if you read the new features of the latest firmware, it says adds music to slideshows.

I'm at a lost as to what I'm missing... either I'm totally missing something or Sony is messed up here. Can someone please verify this one way or another for me? Thanks in advance for you help!
post #918 of 3951 Old 08-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:

No issue like that here.

How much horsepower and or memory on your PC? Do you run a lot of stuff in the background? Win 7?

Thanks for the response. I have pretty decent hp but 1gb RAM could be the issue. I am going to see if shutting down some of the background services make any difference and also try tweaking the PlayOn video processing options.

Separate question- have you tried streaming files which reside on your networked computers using the My Media option?
post #919 of 3951 Old 08-08-2010, 12:04 AM

So what is the latest on DLNA/.mp4 support? As with many, I bought it based on the promise of DLNA support with this latest firmware upgrade. I have the upgrade, the player sees my media server, but can't find any supported video files (all are .mp4). If not .mp4, what the heck does it support in terms of DLNA video? Is it time to return it and get the LG 570 I was also considering for DLNA streaming?
post #920 of 3951 Old 08-08-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollywood4u View Post

Thanks for the response. I have pretty decent hp but 1gb RAM could be the issue. I am going to see if shutting down some of the background services make any difference and also try tweaking the PlayOn video processing options.

Separate question- have you tried streaming files which reside on your networked computers using the My Media option?

No - not networked computers. I do, however, stream from my NAS drive (a USB External drive connected directly to my WNDR3700 router). That NAS drive gives me some DLNA capability as well without PayOn and a computer running.

Also - I use the 'local files' plugin, rather than the 'My Media' option. I find it works much better. (The 'My Media' option is still in beta, I believe.) You can get that plugin here: http://www.playonlabs.net/localfiles/

On the 'System Check' tab in your PlayOn settings - is everything green? If not, that piece of your computer could be 'weak'. 1 gig is a little low for any modern operating system. IMHO 4 gig is minimum for Win 7.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #921 of 3951 Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroux View Post

So what is the latest on DLNA/.mp4 support? As with many, I bought it based on the promise of DLNA support with this latest firmware upgrade. I have the upgrade, the player sees my media server, but can't find any supported video files (all are .mp4). If not .mp4, what the heck does it support in terms of DLNA video? Is it time to return it and get the LG 570 I was also considering for DLNA streaming?

You are going to see spotty DLNA results from any BD player. You may need to find one that streams the files you have, or hold out for a firmware update. The only perfect solution for DLNA today is a dedicated box for that.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #922 of 3951 Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks for the response and advice. May take a look at one of the Brite View devices to see if I have any better results with video playback over tham.
post #923 of 3951 Old 08-09-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroux View Post

Thanks for the response and advice. May take a look at one of the Brite View devices to see if I have any better results with video playback over tham.

I just looked at the Brite View device's web site. Not a bad idea for $80.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #924 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Am i the only one who is not having problems here? Other than the occasional problem i see from time to time with the two big black bars (posted about it with screen grabs), I'm not having any problems with mine.

Joe Siegler - joe@siegler.net
Community Manager - Gearbox Software (Duke Nukem) & Black Sabbath Online
post #925 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 02:41 AM

No issues here. Not even your black bars.

I would like to see more file formats supported, however.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #926 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post

Am i the only one who is not having problems here? Other than the occasional problem i see from time to time with the two big black bars (posted about it with screen grabs), I'm not having any problems with mine.

I'm having a problems.... I get the black bars, occasional lock-up and definitely a buffer problem.

Now that I know there is 1GB of memory for buffer in the 570 this is a programing problem. The buffer problem usually starts around 45 minutes into a HD program. I have to turn off the unit to clear buffer. Obviously the program is not clearing the buffer as it plays.

The black bars and lock-ups started after the last update. Also a programing issue.

I'm hoping the next update will resolve these issues.

Any word on when the next update is due?

Matt Olieman
post #927 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 06:06 AM

Hello

Maybe someone can help me out?
First, i have a BDP-S570 and Qnap TS-419P server.
I have a problem with the subtitles. If i play divx from the cd then my BD accept only txt files with subtitles and if i play divx from the server then BD wont play subtitles at all. Second problem is if i try to play DVD folder from the server i cant change nothing in the DVD main menu like change sound or move in the menus. I even tried made iso file from the DVD and mounted iso file in the server.
Questions is:
1) Can S570 play subtitles from the Twonkymedia server?
2) Can i play DVD with all menus from the server?

Ty
post #928 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Are you trying to play any sever-based files through tthe DLNA function?
post #929 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No problems here. Not with BD discs nor streaming. But, I'm not doing anything with dlna. My Internet speed is slower than I'd like, but that's not a problem with the 570.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #930 of 3951 Old 08-10-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post

No problems here. Not with BD discs nor streaming. But, I'm not doing anything with dlna. My Internet speed is slower than I'd like, but that's not a problem with the 570.

Thanks. If anyone has been able to successfully stream home media to the S570 via DLNA, would be intersted in hearing what equipment and CODECS you used.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page