Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 3951 Old 08-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroux View Post

Per email I received from Sony Support, the player currently only supports MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 for streaming video from a server via DNLA functionality. Of course, they told me to keep an eye on the website for news of further firmware updates that may add additional file support.

I have not yet tried encoding to MPEG-2 and streaming, but I may just decide to limit my frustration with the player by using it just for DVD, BD and internet streaming for now, and get a dedicated network media player for DLNA streaming. If the DLNA support expands to more formats in the future, great, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for the next firmware.

That is what I was afraid of....the stupid thing is that .avi files are supported in Canada (according to the manual) so it is just a matter of BS politics.

Anyone know if we can somehow unlock that functionality here in the states?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3951 Old 08-16-2010, 05:32 PM

For those who care....here is the official list of formats that will work over DLNA currently. Supposedly this page will be updated as file formats are added.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1017936
post #993 of 3951 Old 08-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Well, no. It's NTFS, but if FAT32 would work, I'd go to the trouble to convert it.

Has anyone tried this??
post #994 of 3951 Old 08-16-2010, 07:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie View Post

Well, no. It's NTFS, but if FAT32 would work, I'd go to the trouble to convert it.

Has anyone tried this??

Keep in mind that FAT32 has a 4G max file size.
post #995 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 03:02 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeproberts View Post

For those who care....here is the official list of formats that will work over DLNA currently. Supposedly this page will be updated as file formats are added.

http://www.kb.sony.com/selfservice/d...nalId=C1017936

The products listed on that page are TVs, not Blue-Ray players.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #996 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie View Post

Has anyone tried this??

I've used an old HD that I reformatted to FAT32 with the old 32g limit (an 80g split into 3), and a 500g FAT32 that I had formatted in a mac.
works fine for the file types- I've done mkv files directly from the HD
post #997 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM

This is a rather long forum for a single "topic", and in fact is many (many..) threads, all on different topics, and many with a single conclusion only in the last few messages. Since the forum tool used does not provide any threading, the only way to find about any single issue is to read through possible hundreds of posts.
It would be nice if this were condensed into a more concise and organized format, for example a Wiki page, and each thread and its conclusion could be condensed into a much simpler topic and conclusion.
My last STB system (Set Top Box server, an NMT/PCH A110) did this with (a set of) Wiki pages in a very nice way. See this example at:
http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wi....php/Main_Page
post #998 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 05:41 PM

I was very excited about getting this player, especially with all of its DLNA and file access capabilities and formats supported. But although all the user reviews I read at purchase and tech sites were good, I now see that the issues in this forum indicate a lot more underlying complexity and issues.

Initially my problems with it are:
  1. The support for USB disk really means only USB memory stick.
  1. The file formats supported are much more limited for DLNA than for local disk or USB.
  1. Basic DVD/BD playback functions - my older Sony DVD player would remember up to 5 disks, and would restart a partial playback from any of them.
    SO far this unit doesn't remember even one even though the manual says it should.
  1. reliability; I selected options during a disk playback, to see if it had bookmarks to remedy the lack of restart, it didn't, and in fact froze in the options menu, and would not go back to playing. [My last Panasonic BD player did, and did a nice job of saving and showing them.]
  1. DLNA: I have two local Windows-7 servers, and they can both see each other, and the unit nicely recognized them both and would play files (of limited video formats!). Then today, it showed the same two servers grayed out - and could not access them (although it had their MAC addresses.)
    I tried resetting (Search for servers), no result. And then removed all servers and tried to search anew - no results.
    It is doing fine on the network, they are all on a common segment, and everyone can see the internet fine, and the two W7's see the BDP player.
    The Player can show YouTube, and all other network services, just now refuses to see the same two servers it previously liked.
    -- any hints??
SO, as someone else noted earlier - my hopes for a great STB are waning, and it may revert to just a nice BD player, or get replaced by an LG or other unit. I do like its fast start-up and load times!
I realities I am a new user, so perhaps I am missing some easy solutions to these issues - I hope!

[Sorry I got the list numbering wrong - new to this tool!]
post #999 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM

I have a USB thumb drive attached to the front of my 570. I have about 40 CD's loaded on it. Any way to set up the 570 to continuous play from that drive rather than me having to turn on the Sony LCD to select another CD to play?
post #1000 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone remember the days where we simply wanted a BD player that didn't take 5 years to boot up? Who even thought extra features like Netflix and DLNA support were in the deck of cards? It was so much easier "back then."
post #1001 of 3951 Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 PM

Hmm, (yeah!?), now after a few hours, it reinstated one server on its own, and after a "re-search servers" found the other one, all seems to work again, Yeah.
(Except for the unreliability..!)
post #1002 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 01:50 PM

Im looking into upgrading my BluRay player with the thought in mind that getting a player thats 3D Ready will save money down the line a year or so when I get a new HDTV that does 3D. Is there some sort of compatibilty chart for these players? If I pick up the 570 and I get an LG, Panasonic or Samsung 3D TV, will the 3D work or do I have to buy a Sony TV? Thanks
post #1003 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Sony has a new firmware update available. It appears to add quite a few features. A word of caution for those that like to play Blu-ray backups, in case Sony has decided to include Cinavia detection with this update.
post #1004 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 06:33 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan View Post

Im looking into upgrading my BluRay player with the thought in mind that getting a player thats 3D Ready will save money down the line a year or so when I get a new HDTV that does 3D. Is there some sort of compatibilty chart for these players? If I pick up the 570 and I get an LG, Panasonic or Samsung 3D TV, will the 3D work or do I have to buy a Sony TV? Thanks

Any 3D Blu Ray player will work.
post #1005 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm View Post

Looks like Sony has a new firmware update available. It appears to add quite a few features. A word of caution for those that like to play Blu-ray backups, in case Sony has decided to include Cinavia detection with this update.

How did you get to this page ? I tried the Sony Support, firmware download entering BDP-S570 and there is no update available. It's not available online, which is strange since they are normally online before Sony posts in their website. Thanks.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1006 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

How did you get to this page ? I tried the Sony Support, firmware download entering BDP-S570 and there is no update available. It's not available online, which is strange since they are normally online before Sony posts in their website. Thanks.

I went here first.
post #1007 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

I went here first.

That's where I went. Just did it again and got "There are no files currently posted for the selected operating system" . I tried Windows Vista and Windows 7.

I had problems playing Universal BD titles and hope this firmware fix it. I will wait for it to become available online, though.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #1008 of 3951 Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It's listed under "Hot Topics". It could take Sony several days to update it under the drivers and software section. This usually happens when they post a firmware update.
post #1009 of 3951 Old 08-19-2010, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

It's listed under "Hot Topics". It could take Sony several days to update it under the drivers and software section. This usually happens when they post a firmware update.

I just tried the posted link and it failed to find the file when I accepted the s/w agreement. My network update says I'm current running R04.R.624 so maybe the server is real busy?

Just noticed that when you enter the support site from the 'select OS' method, the update displays as quite small (1 byte). Guess I'll wait for the on-line update to work too.
post #1010 of 3951 Old 08-19-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, looks like it's all screwed up. Typical Sony.
post #1011 of 3951 Old 08-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Hope the new firmware adds support for a few more file types.
post #1012 of 3951 Old 08-19-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Just had an online chat with support and as usual, no one knows what going on. According to him, It's due to "network dissruptions" and those wanting to download should wait a "few hours", which means keep trying until it works.
post #1013 of 3951 Old 08-19-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just had an online chat with support and as usual, no one knows what going on. According to him, It's due to "network dissruptions" and those wanting to download should wait a "few hours", which means keep trying until it works.

And if that doesn't work, wait longer. You gotta love it.
post #1014 of 3951 Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM

I have a bunch of iso files, DVD disk images that I play on my computer, and was streaming and playing with my former STB.

What do I need to do to play these on the Sony?
Clearly it plays iso images from disks, why not from files?!

I suppose one simple answer would be to try to convert them all to one of their listed formats - but that is a lot of work, and seems silly! A DVD player should play a DVD image. Not that Sony asked me about it...
post #1015 of 3951 Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 AM

Chaps, I have searched through this thread but cant see an answer to my problem. Apologies if I have missed it.

The problem I am having is that I can only stream MKV files from a machine running Windows Media Player 11 and when it does stream the quality is terrible, very jerky.

I am using wired Ethernet.

I was hoping that I would be able to stream from my Popcorn Hour or Media Smart server but as mentioned on Media Player 11 will do it.

Does anybody have any experience or suggestions on how to best stream HD MKV files to this player?

Thanks a lot.
post #1016 of 3951 Old 08-20-2010, 03:27 AM

Hello,
I'm willing to upgrade my Sony BDP-350 with the 570 but I can't find it anywhere here in Italy. They only have the 470 model so I'm wondering if it's the same machine lacking only wifi connection and the 1GB BD Live storage. I just need to know that video and audio wise is the same quality as the 570.

Thank you!
post #1017 of 3951 Old 08-20-2010, 03:49 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post

Hello,
I'm willing to upgrade my Sony BDP-350 with the 570 but I can't find it anywhere here in Italy. They only have the 470 model so I'm wondering if it's the same machine lacking only wifi connection and the 1GB BD Live storage. I just need to know that video and audio wise is the same quality as the 570.

Thank you!

Video & audio are exactly the same.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #1018 of 3951 Old 08-20-2010, 03:56 AM

Great to know, thanks!
I'll go with the 470 then!

Bye!
post #1019 of 3951 Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Hmm, I saw the firmware online yesterday, and now it is gone! I hope it is still being released soon. I just bought my BDP-S570 and it is nice, but I hope they eventually give support for watching many other movie formats, and more options on Netflix.
post #1020 of 3951 Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferc79 View Post

Hmm, I saw the firmware online yesterday, and now it is gone! I hope it is still being released soon. I just bought my BDP-S570 and it is nice, but I hope they eventually give support for watching many other movie formats, and more options on Netflix.

Being optimistic, I hope they pulled it because a bug was found and they are fixing it. There is still that 1 byte update hanging around. Strange that the web site would have an update first. Usually it's a direct download before being posted. Anyhow: patience.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page