Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3947 Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap602 View Post

How good is the WiFi on this unit? I have my wireless modem in my home office on the first floor, while the theater is in the basement. Think the 570 will has an antenna with enough gain?

So far for me it's very strong. I'm guessing you'll be fine.

...is you is, or is you ain't my constituency?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3947 Old 03-16-2010, 09:39 PM

I purchased the player about a week ago and Blu Ray movies play perfectly.

The issue comes with DVDs. When I hit rewind on the remote the screen goes black but you can see that the player is rewinding on the small screen on the device. After about 3-4 seconds the screen will pop back up and show the movie rewinding.

Strange?

Anyone have this issue?
post #93 of 3947 Old 03-16-2010, 11:38 PM

I just got my S570 and was able to stream Wild China from Netflix at 2 bars out of 5 wireless signal strength from a Netgear WGR614 54 Mbps router. Netflix says it's an HD stream, and the quality was absolutely stunning. No signal drops, no artifacts, just absolutely smooth and with great quality.

I haven't watched many Blu-ray or DVDs yet so I don't know what that experience is like.
post #94 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atye View Post

I can't remember, but the first time it happened
I rewound it to see if it would happen again and it didn't.

I was watching the movie with my wife, well the first 15 minutes and no issues. I have learned that in the past, simple fingerprints or smudges of any kind can mess with a blu ray movie. Check the desk, maybe it's dirty?
post #95 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 09:12 AM

I have been tweaking my a\\b\\g\
router (dual band) to support everything on my network (e.g. QOS, WLAN bands, etc..), while operating to it's fullest potential. One way of doing this is not relying on "Auto"\\"Best" settings when it comes to band widths and speeds.

2 questions with utilizing 802.11n for this player:

1) What is the max wlan speed for this player in the 5ghz band? 130 or 300 ? (some intel chips max out at 130)

2) wide-40mhz Channel?

Thanks,
Ken
post #96 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM

I just figured out the answers to my own questions:

1) 300
2) YES
post #97 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

when is this 3d firmware update due? i was under the impression it was 3d out of the box...

---Mr. Met---

J-E-T-S-JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO DE-VILS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO METS!!!!!!! --- LETS GO NETS!!!!!!!
post #98 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain View Post

when is this 3d firmware update due? i was under the impression it was 3d out of the box...

The 3-D update is in July I believe.

I think I will stay with the LG BD-390. Too many issues with the DVD playback of the Sony.

Who Dat!
post #99 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rach View Post

The 3-D update is in July I believe.

I think I will stay with the LG BD-390. Too many issues with the DVD playback of the Sony.

Who Dat!

What DVD issues do you speak of? I only played 2 dvd's so far and I didn't notice anything..?
post #100 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
On my netflix streaming, it appears to be random movies. I tried to watch Shrink, but it was so choppy, I couldn't watch it. So, I watched Sex and Death 101 or whatever it is called with the guy from the Mentalist, and it was flawless, smooth and great quality. So, I really am not sure what to think.

Everything I have streamed on youtube has been perfect so far, haven't tried Amazon yet.
post #101 of 3947 Old 03-17-2010, 10:38 PM

Can the Sony 570 Blu ray Player play avi files from usb flash drives?
Thanks!
post #102 of 3947 Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega77 View Post

Can the Sony 570 Blu ray Player play avi files from usb flash drives?
Thanks!

No, at least not now. There will be a firmware upgrade in the Summer that will provide support to HDD and perhaps to other file formats. Poster #1 has a review of the S570 with some info on file formats.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #103 of 3947 Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 PM

Who else is experiencing issues with DVD playback? I hope it's not everyone.
post #104 of 3947 Old 03-18-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Who else is experiencing issues with DVD playback? I hope it's not everyone.

No issues whatsoever. The picture quality is actually pretty good , despite not so good reviews on this segment.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #105 of 3947 Old 03-18-2010, 08:29 PM

I had my first issue. I was streaming a Netflix movie and the screen went blue but the audio continued. The blue wouldn't go away, clicked Home on the remote, nothing. Power cycle, nothing. I had to unplug it to reset it. Hopefully it was a random thing and a pattern doesn't start to develop. I am not too worried, cause my "tried and true" S350 had it's needed reboot a couple times as well.
post #106 of 3947 Old 03-19-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple3fast View Post

I purchased the player about a week ago and Blu Ray movies play perfectly.

The issue comes with DVDs. When I hit rewind on the remote the screen goes black but you can see that the player is rewinding on the small screen on the device. After about 3-4 seconds the screen will pop back up and show the movie rewinding.

Strange?

Anyone have this issue?

What I meant to say was, Does anyone have issues with rewinding DVD's? My current S350 doesn't have this problem and neither should the S570.
post #107 of 3947 Old 03-19-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcoholic247 View Post

debating if i should get the sony bdp-s570 or the lg bd570.

So far the only difference I can think of is that Sony does not support DLNA but supports 3d via a firmware upgrade and vice versa for LG.

i thought i read that the sony is getting dlna via firmware upate this summer. can anyone confirm?
post #108 of 3947 Old 03-19-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_rock View Post

i thought i read that the sony is getting dlna via firmware upate this summer. can anyone confirm?

Nobody here can "confirm" but that's what the footnote says in the Sonystyle.com. It mentions July for the update.

post #109 of 3947 Old 03-19-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Nobody here can "confirm" but that's what the footnote says in the Sonystyle.com. It mentions July for the update.

well i guess i'll take that as "confirmation"
post #110 of 3947 Old 03-20-2010, 12:17 PM

I have been streaming netflix like a deamon...love it. HD quality is pretty good. Player is fast, hooks up to the internet with no issues. I really like it.
post #111 of 3947 Old 03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I can't find this info anywhere:

Can someone please tell me the internet widgets this Sony(or the S540) offers?

I am well aware of Amazon/Netflix/Slacker, but on the box and in the post ads it claims somethign like 25 separate streaming sites available.

I would just like too know what they are, and what is available now, and maybe in the future with a firmware upgrade. Can't find info on this anywhere.
post #112 of 3947 Old 03-20-2010, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbartimaeus View Post

I have been streaming netflix like a deamon...love it. HD quality is pretty good. Player is fast, hooks up to the internet with no issues. I really like it.

Wait til you watch an Amazon On Demand movie...PQ puts Netflix to shame.
post #113 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Does anyone use their Blu Ray Player to watch Blu Rays anymore? LOL! It kind of seems like everyone is all about the netflix these days.
post #114 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What's the impact of this player only being HDMI 1.3 instead of 1.4 for 3D? I purchase this player but am thinkingof returning it because of the Samsung 3D bundle. Problem is the Samsung is $399 msrp which is pretty high.
post #115 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 11:05 AM
DMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELERSRULE View Post

I can't find this info anywhere:

Can someone please tell me the internet widgets this Sony(or the S540) offers?

I am well aware of Amazon/Netflix/Slacker, but on the box and in the post ads it claims somethign like 25 separate streaming sites available.

I would just like too know what they are, and what is available now, and maybe in the future with a firmware upgrade. Can't find info on this anywhere.

Yeah, what about Hulu? Is Hulu or something similar available?

Thanks

Thanks,
Dan
post #116 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudebenjamin View Post

Does anyone use their Blu Ray Player to watch Blu Rays anymore? LOL! It kind of seems like everyone is all about the netflix these days.

The deathknell of phycial media is upon us.

More and more comments about I bought it for streaming and have yet to buy a BD disc. The industry is going to kill themselves just like they did with music downloads.

Who needs a music store selling those HIGH DEF SACD/DVD-A/BD-M/V or CDs when you can download what ever you want in low res via Netflix or Amazon or I-tunes?

Can anyone (among the 570 owners here) tell us what kind of actual reported resolutions they are getting with a download from each of the usual suspects in supposed HD (and report their network connection speed and screen size along with same).

I am still holding out on the 570 for the ES version but wonder what comparison people would make to BD or even DVD upscalled for larger screen sizes 60" plus please.

I for one won't be giving up my physical media anytime soon to pay for a one - two time rental of my favorite movies that costs as much as the actual physical media version of same in high quality.

I can't imagine that streaming HD would look much better than upscaled LD on a 100+ inch size screen even with a Reon/Marvell processor scaling same.

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #117 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 03:03 PM

The deathkneel is harldy upon us. Think about it...the bandwidth for a blu-ray movie is what, 18-25mbps? And download is what, 6mbps? They hardly compare. Also, think of it in terms of audio. Netflix right now is in stereo and amazon is only DD. No hd audio. That would add about another 5mbps. There is no way streaming would ever be any real threat until at least 30mbps is affordable.
post #118 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

The deathkneel is harldy upon us. Think about it...the bandwidth for a blu-ray movie is what, 18-25mbps? And download is what, 6mbps? They hardly compare. Also, think of it in terms of audio. Netflix right now is in stereo and amazon is only DD. No hd audio. That would add about another 5mbps. There is no way streaming would ever be any real threat until at least 30mbps is affordable.

Not sure about that. Blockbuster will probably be history very soon, closing stores all over the country. Most people are not "avsforum-like" and are not really picky about picture quality and HD audio. Amazon VOD can't match BD quality but is very good on my 65" plasma. Netflix is not at the same level but I think it will be very soon. Streaming is the future, through VOD,Netflix-like providers,cable/satellite. I am pretty sure that if we had a service with the same quality as Amazon HD ,at a fixed price per month, video stores would be history.

post #119 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Not sure about that. Blockbuster will probably be history very soon, closing stores all over the country. Most people are not "avsforum-like" and are not really picky about picture quality and HD audio. Amazon VOD can't match BD quality but is very good on my 65" plasma. Netflix is not at the same level but I think it will be very soon. Streaming is the future, through VOD,Netflix-like providers,cable/satellite. I am pretty sure that if we had a service with the same quality as Amazon HD ,at a fixed price per month, video stores would be history.

Slimoli:

I think you said it well. If a mainstream product like the 370-570 can produce - with the right internet connection which I don't have yet and most don't have yet given the pricing scheme - video rentals are certainly dead.

As to audio quality, and video quality for that matter, most people are still happy with upscaled or worse plain ol DVD video. They don't care about BD or HDDVD and would be quite pleased if they could get SD Quality with old 2.0 dolby digital on their instant queues. I have plenty of wealty friends who do just that with their TIVO and Netflix queues even though they have systems in their homes costing 40-50k or more.

Convenience is king. Quality - I hate to say - for most isn't even in the Royal court.

I am still curious though - how good is this unit with a fast connection vs a slow connection and can anyone post some comparisions with Netflix, Amazon DVD, upscaled DVD and BD for similar movies.

I have yet to see a demo showing this but it seems the 370-570 make this very close to a reality if they support dual channel N streaming?

The 570 does support dual channel N data links via WiFi right?

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #120 of 3947 Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldithomaso View Post

Slimoli:

I think you said it well. If a mainstream product like the 370-570 can produce - with the right internet connection which I don't have yet and most don't have yet given the pricing scheme - video rentals are certainly dead.

As to audio quality, and video quality for that matter, most people are still happy with upscaled or worse plain ol DVD video. They don't care about BD or HDDVD and would be quite pleased if they could get SD Quality with old 2.0 dolby digital on their instant queues. I have plenty of wealty friends who do just that with their TIVO and Netflix queues even though they have systems in their homes costing 40-50k or more.

Convenience is king. Quality - I hate to say - for most isn't even in the Royal court.

I am still curious though - how good is this unit with a fast connection vs a slow connection and can anyone post some comparisions with Netflix, Amazon DVD, upscaled DVD and BD for similar movies.

I have yet to see a demo showing this but it seems the 370-570 make this very close to a reality if they support dual channel N streaming?

The 570 does support dual channel N data links via WiFi right?

This is how I would rate the S570, vis a vis each type of video:

-Bluray: Wonderful picture and sound. I think any bluray player can produce the same quality, though. I rate it a perfect 10.

-DVD: Tough call. I had DVD players better than the S570, like the Toshiba XA2. The S570 is OK, not the best but not bad. I rate it 7.

-Amazon VOD HD: I watched few titles and they were all pretty good, both video and audio. I rate it 8.

Amazon VOD SD: It depends a lot on the title, some are good and some look like an old VHS tape. I rate it from 4 to 6.

-Netflix HD : Not as good as Amazon and audio is very poor. I rate it 6.

-Netflix SD: On a large screen, forget about it. It needs a lot of improvement. Few titles are "watchable" but not better than this. I rate it 3 to 4, depending on the title.

My setup is a Sony BDP-S570, a Pioneer VSX94 receiver and a Panasonic PV65V10 plasma. My Internet is U-Verse 18 Mbps and everything is hard-wired, therefore no network issues.

I measured the bitrate on Netflix HD and it's not higher than 5.5 Mbps (variable). I used "LOST" in HD as a test. I would say a connection of 6 Mbps is the minimum for a decent picture.

I am MUCH more picky for quality than an average person.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page