AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterUbers View Post

Hi all,

How do I sign out of pandora, and re-sign in with my Pandora One account? I had just been using the free version of pandora, now I want to re-sign in with my 'One account.

Thanks

I haven't upgraded yet, but shouldn't it be the same account with the changes applied? or did you get a whole new account? if you use the same username and password you did with the free account it should just upgrade automatically from the unit. Also one thing i Just remembered, some devices don't support the full interface. Not sure if the sony falls into this category or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 3951 Old 11-04-2010, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for your reply,

it's a whole new account. The sony interface is very simple... you may be correct about the sony.

I'm on the Pandora One because I read it has higher fidelity streaming than the free account.
post #1503 of 3951 Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys...new member here.......Thanks for all the info.......just bought this player.........

I was wondering if anyone knows the proper settings (video and audio) for this player.....

The following is what I have:

Blu-Ray player connected via HDMI to an Onkyo SR876 receiver. The receiver is then connected via HDMI to my Mitsubishi HD1000 projector. The Onkyo is driving a 5.1 speaker layout.

I have a PS3 hooked up and I have it sending PCM to my receiver......I thought I tried this with the new sony Blu Ray player, but the sound seemed kind of low....I could turn the volum up all the way on my reciever....so im thinking this is not the correct setting.........

If there is anyone out there that can recommend the proper settings I would appreciate it......

Thanks!!!
post #1504 of 3951 Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Sony,

Please update the Netflix interface similiar to what you just did on the PS3.

Strange that the Samsung players got that interface before the Sony players.

Built a new home, now filling it with sights and sounds!
post #1505 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 AM

Interesting about "secret key sequences", never heard of this before.

Another thing that I have seem that is not good on this, and most other units, is buggy software! (firmware).
I had a disk the other day with some smudge on it, and when the unit read bad data, it froze up. No skip, no FFwd, FRev, no menu, ... I had to stop - which forced a reload of the entire disk, then all previews, and then scene-selection. Had to do this 3-4 times, very silly.
The software in the unit should never freeze, by definition this is a programming bug.
If it has a read error, or bad data read, it should have some recovery, or an error message, anything but a freeze-up.
Again, this is not just this unit, although symptoms vary.

And, ..
One can add a local disk (usb), but it will only read FAT-32, an old, limited, and obsolete format - not NTFS.

Just in case Sony calls me for ideas to improve! :-)
post #1506 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthrie View Post

Interesting about "secret key sequences", never heard of this before.

Another thing that I have seem that is not good on this, and most other units, is buggy software! (firmware).
I had a disk the other day with some smudge on it, and when the unit read bad data, it froze up. No skip, no FFwd, FRev, no menu, ... I had to stop - which forced a reload of the entire disk, then all previews, and then scene-selection. Had to do this 3-4 times, very silly.
The software in the unit should never freeze, by definition this is a programming bug.
If it has a read error, or bad data read, it should have some recovery, or an error message, anything but a freeze-up.
Again, this is not just this unit, although symptoms vary.

And, ..
One can add a local disk (usb), but it will only read FAT-32, an old, limited, and obsolete format - not NTFS.

Just in case Sony calls me for ideas to improve! :-)

Again, that might not be a sony programing bug. One of the "features" of blu-ray is that they contain a java virtual machine. BD-J disc launch java programs that run in this virtual machine. I could conceive of quite a few scenarios where a bug in the BD-J code on the disc could put the VM into a non-responsive state that the Sony firmware could not detect. Since I believe the Java VM is mandated in licensing (you aren't allowed to roll your own), there isn't much the firmware in the player could do. I'm not saying that is what happened, but it could happen.
post #1507 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Do blu-ray players use Java to handle standard DVDs since DVD is an added extra? I've had a couple DVD issues too. 1 was the toy story 3 DVD I was comparing it's quality to the blu-ray. I got the 4 disc set. The first time around, after hitting play at the menu the screen went red and the player crashed and shut off. The second time was with a spiderman dvd from netflix the audio and video disappeared for a second and came back. I rewound and it was fine since. Like i've stated before, I don't have constant issues with any of my blu-ray players. but sometimes they throw little tantrums from time to time. both the sony and the panasonic players. The ones I notice the most glitches on are the ones that support netflix. the panasonic from last year hasn't glitched yet.
post #1508 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post
Do blu-ray players use Java to handle standard DVDs since DVD is an added extra? I've had a couple DVD issues too. 1 was the toy story 3 DVD I was comparing it's quality to the blu-ray. I got the 4 disc set. The first time around, after hitting play at the menu the screen went red and the player crashed and shut off. The second time was with a spiderman dvd from netflix the audio and video disappeared for a second and came back. I rewound and it was fine since. Like i've stated before, I don't have constant issues with any of my blu-ray players. but sometimes they throw little tantrums from time to time. both the sony and the panasonic players. The ones I notice the most glitches on are the ones that support netflix. the panasonic from last year hasn't glitched yet.
That sounds like an error in the player firmware, or a poorly authored disc. It's hard to know which though. I'd definitely report it to sony.
post #1509 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Just picked up the new Sony BDP-S570 myself last night, and the audio was fed via Red/white audio to my stereo Sharp Aquos TV.

I too thought the blu-ray "vocals" on "Alice in Wonderland" seemed weak, so it may be set to 5.1 by default, or is it 2.0?

I picked up a new Denon AVR-591 to connect it all to my 5.1 Onkyo speakers. Heck yeah!!! The man cave/ game room will come together this weekend.

And my wife thought she couldn't hear herself think last night. (That was just the TV speakers)
post #1510 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister72 View Post

And my wife thought she couldn't hear herself think last night. (That was just the TV speakers)

I love when my sub shakes stuff off the tables upstairs and the wife comes yelling.
post #1511 of 3951 Old 11-05-2010, 05:36 PM

Well, I'm having a hell of a time trying to play Alien Anthology on the S570. It's updated and all, but Alien3 don't want to load. Turning ON/OFF the player don't seem to help.

I'm stuck on a black screen just after the FOX logo. That's it.

I'm not happy....
post #1512 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckweb View Post

Well, I'm having a hell of a time trying to play Alien Anthology on the S570. It's updated and all, but Alien3 don't want to load. Turning ON/OFF the player don't seem to help.

I'm stuck on a black screen just after the FOX logo. That's it.

I'm not happy....

Try disabling BD-Live or just disconnecting from your network. All BD-Live has done, in my experience, regardless of the player, is cause problems.
post #1513 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Gruber View Post

Is anybody happy with the bdp-s570?

Happiness tends to be relative to expectations.
Sony, after all, is the company that put root kits on audio CDs
and removed linux support from recent versions of PS3 firmware.
Quote:

Everyone here seems to be posting only negatives.

Well, negative posts tend to be most useful, particularly for pieces like this,
since Sony does a pretty poor job of documenting its rough edges.
Quote:

I need a player that can wirelessly stream netflix

Many of the negative posts are exactly about streaming limitations.
While firmware fixes may help (e.g. dynamically renegotiating to lower bandwidth streaming)
it cannot help for what evidently is rather inadequate high-speed RAM buffering.
I consider myself lucky that 4-6mb/sec by cable suffices with a RJ-45 connection.
Quote:

and a player that won't hang or freeze up while starting up or playing a disc.

If you are fortunate enough to acquire one with a reasonably well-aligned drive,
so that firmware is not stressed by excessive error recovery,
and avoid disks with problematic Java and mastering, freezes and hangs should be rare.

You did not mention HDMI problems.
Sony pushed the limits of 1.3 to provide 3D support with a single output,
and this is problematic for other equipment.
As indicated in this industry report, HDMI is far from fully "baked":
http://synopsysoc.org/theeyeshaveit/...-3-grassroots/

Unlike with PS3, several unobvious settings (e.g. PCM instead of DSD for SACD) provoke hysterics in my configuration (BDP-S570 to Denon AVR-4810CI to Moome EXT-FULLHD v2),
even with 3D settings disabled.
post #1514 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:

Are you in the US?

Yes.
Quote:

After the initial activation of the device with sony

.. which was where the cited behavior was observed..
Quote:

if you open the netflix app for the first time by selecting and clicking ok, you'll get the initial screen from netflix that asks Are you a netflix member? Yes or No. When clicking Yes I was directed to www.netflix/activate/ when there you simply enter the code that's on the TV screen, and you're done.

That matches my experience, having previously streamed netflix to PS3.

Quote:

Something I always do though, is update the firmware to the latest before using the unit.

It seems like the people who are having issues registering are making more work for themselves beyond what is ACTUALLY required. I say this based on my own personal experience with this unit.

I interpret that to mean you guessed correctly the first time at Sony's activation URL.
post #1515 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedweb View Post

While the menu item is loading the white snow screen appears, I then hear the segment, then see it. About a 5 sec lag with the load.

My guess is that white snow is probably NOT generated by the BDP-S570,
but by some other device in the HDMI daisy chain while a new resolution or
audio stream is being negotiated. Try disabling native and auto settings
and selecting a single display resolution in the BDP-S570 video configuration menus
to minimize negotiations.
post #1516 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 PM

I'm on the verge of purchasing an S570 but I found an online review where the customer stated they could only enter 25 digits in the key to connect to their wireless router. And since 128-bit WEP security requires a 26-digit hex key, that would be a problem. Is that guy correct? Anyone else have a problem connecting the S570 to a wireless network using 128-bit WEP encryption?
post #1517 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepaul70 View Post
I'm on the verge of purchasing an S570 but I found an online review where the customer stated they could only enter 25 digits in the key to connect to their wireless router. And since 128-bit WEP security requires a 26-digit hex key, that would be a problem. Is that guy correct? Anyone else have a problem connecting the S570 to a wireless network using 128-bit WEP encryption?
I'd recommend using WAP2 if possible, it's far more secure then WEP. I connect to an airport extreme for my wireless devices and I have a pass phrase for my wifi wap2 password. None of my blu-ray players sony, panasonic have issues with this. Another reason not to use WEP is because its easier to crack people can steal your bandwidth and break into your network. That is if you live in an area where people do that sort of thing. So I can't specifically answer the wep question, but I can recommend something more secure, that I haven't had any issues using.
post #1518 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 06:28 PM

Where we live, it really isn't an issue. But that would certainly be a work-around. Just curious if anyone else was able to get it connected using WEP?
post #1519 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM

There are easily found resources on the web that allow the commoner to crack WEP based keys in under five minutes.

With that said, WPA2 is the most secure wireless encryption before you use authentication. Since none of us really need to use the later, I would suggest WPA for the pure fact that it doesn't carry as much overhead encrypted traffic compared to WEP. If you are streaming over wireless you want 802.11 N so you can stream in HD and have as little interference from the encrypted traffic as possible. You can upgrade 90% of wireless access points firm ware to support WPA and WPA2, so you shouldn't be concerned if you don't see the option in you AP security menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepaul70
Where we live, it really isn't an issue. But that would certainly be a work-around. Just curious if anyone else was able to get it connected using WEP?
post #1520 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have bought the sony bdps570 and are happy with it,but for some reason if l watch more than two blu rays one after the other the third one loads but after the first initial screen appears then procedes to go to the start menu of the movie nothing appears the tv screen goes black and on the display of the player l get ------ only way to get anything happening is to turn off player and hold down power button on player and reset it,then the movie plays this has happened twice now and both times have put movie into ps3 to test it and it plays without drama has anyone had this happen or have an idea what might be causing this to occur.
post #1521 of 3951 Old 11-06-2010, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've had the same problem with alien 3 but also back to the future 3 it will play the first two discs not a problem but the third same thing all l did was get disc turn player off with remote then hold down power button on player till flashes wait on display then after bit it goes blank turn player back on insert disc and it works as normal ?
post #1522 of 3951 Old 11-07-2010, 02:55 AM

Hi, when browsing the Music albums on the Sony, I only see empty icons with the music symbol. I would have expected to see album art. When I browse pictures I do see the the thumbnails of the pictures.
Does anyone else see the album art? Any suggestions?

I use Twonkyserver 6 on WHS to stream MP3 files. They have embedded album art, and the album folders have a folder.jpg. When I use my Windows 7 PC I can clearly see the album art.
post #1523 of 3951 Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

Only the placeholder. The actual interface is not there yet.

The service is working now. I found out by accident. Just click on the icon. No opinion on the quality. That's up to those with faster internet access. Same for the sound.
post #1524 of 3951 Old 11-07-2010, 03:27 PM

is there some sort of folder # limit to the audio streaming side of the Sony BDP-S570 software? I'm connecting to my Iomega NAS DNLA server and the interface only shows up to a certain artist name (ie. it cuts off everything past the "N's")... but all of the folders show up when connecting to the Iomega NAS DNLA server with iTunes on other computers in the house.

anyone have a similar experience?
post #1525 of 3951 Old 11-07-2010, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

The service is working now. I found out by accident. Just click on the icon. No opinion on the quality. That's up to those with faster internet access. Same for the sound.

Thanks for the heads up, I just tried the service as well, and it's indeed working here too. As I don't have a membership with hulu though, I was limited to the sample videos. The Quality looks great though, I tried the family guy clip.

Not sure if i'll pay for it though. Doesn't seem like it would offer me anything over amazon VOD or netflix.
post #1526 of 3951 Old 11-07-2010, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up, I just tried the service as well, and it's indeed working here too. As I don't have a membership with hulu though, I was limited to the sample videos. The Quality looks great though, I tried the family guy clip.

Not sure if i'll pay for it though. Doesn't seem like it would offer me anything over amazon VOD or netflix.

Absolutely. I'm going to watch for a few months just to see what falls out of the tree when I shake it. Hulu states all over the place they have 720p only. But I have no problem watching a missed TV show on my computer in SD. I'm still shopping. Buying comes later.
post #1527 of 3951 Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Absolutely. I'm going to watch for a few months just to see what falls out of the tree when I shake it. Hulu states all over the place they have 720p only. But I have no problem watching a missed TV show on my computer in SD. I'm still shopping. Buying comes later.

Well, on the 32" sony tv to which the sony player is connected, I don't see hardly any difference between 720p and 1080p. The panel is full HD I just think the screen size is small enough and the pixels are close enough to not really show much of a difference.
post #1528 of 3951 Old 11-08-2010, 04:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ordered my 570 this weekend...looking forward to speed and new features/technology vs my current Panny 35

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1529 of 3951 Old 11-08-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, on the 32" sony tv to which the sony player is connected, I don't see hardly any difference between 720p and 1080p. The panel is full HD I just think the screen size is small enough and the pixels are close enough to not really show much of a difference.

You're right. My 32EX700 looks fine with any digital input. Analog not so much. My eyes are not good enough to tell 720p from 1080i. Usually I record ABC and Fox on a 480i DVR and play them back after upconversion to 1080p. I find the quality wonderful but miss the 5.1 audio.

Story: my workplace is quite large. People wanted TV in the lunchrooms. So we bought some 60" panels of several brands and got satellite service. But we only bought one box and send out channel 3 analog to the six LED panels. Over RG-59. With several splitters. I didn't know a picture could look so bad and still be watchable. There is no motionflow issue with sports either. Or you couldn't tell if there is a problem. End of story.
post #1530 of 3951 Old 11-08-2010, 10:28 AM

I have all my music stored as MP3s on my Western Digital Passport drive, but my BDP-S570 won't recognize it as a supported drive. A Sony rep said the S570 only recognizes FAT 32 drives, but I see no way to format a drive in that format with Windows Vista (only NTFS and exFAT, the latter of which wasn't recognized by my player either).

I have a Samsung Blu-ray player that can read my Western Digital drive the way it is, and that player is a few years old. I can't fathom that this brand new 3D Blu-ray player is only compatible via the USB with drives formatted in some file system from Windows 95. Does anyone know a workaround?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page