Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 3954 Old 11-11-2010, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I apologize if this has already been answered as I am new to this thread. I skimmed it briefly and haven't seen my issue yet addressed.

Here is my issue. I have a BDP-BX57 and have it connected to my wireless network. I am trying to stream music from my DLNA compliant NAS (Synology DS207+) to the unit. I have mostly WAV files on the NAS with some FLAC and a very few MP3 files. The unit sees my NAS and displays all of my music folders, however when I try to open a folder and play the WAV files it does not see them and says that "there are no playable files". It does however see and play my MP3 and interestingly my FLAC files (which are not identified in the manual as playable files). It will however find and play WAV files from a USB thumb drive though, so I know that it will indeed play them.

Any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong here is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 3954 Old 11-11-2010, 06:05 PM

I'm new here. I searched for my topic and didn't get any results. How does one login to youtube? I navigate to the login field but none of the buttons allows me to enter my youtube user name.

Also, while on the topic of youtube, is there a faster way to enter a search? Maybe an external device of some sort?

Thanks
post #1563 of 3954 Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacted View Post

I have a BDP-BX57 (bought it a BJ's) and was watching the sample videos on Hulu+ last night. Hulu+/Sony are offering a free 2 month trial period for Hulu+. I still haven't decided if I'm going to try the free 2 month trial or not. Maybe if Hulu+ was without comercials I might consider it.

Is it for ps3 too? And how and where on ps3 I can get trial?
post #1564 of 3954 Old 11-11-2010, 08:58 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 View Post

Did you try sending both decoded and bitstream audio? I'm not sure that your receiver will accept bitstream, so you will need to decode into LPCM at the player level. You might also try turning off some of the more advanced HDMI features (deep color, HDMICEC). Those can sometimes cause issues with older HDMI equipment that can't receive them.

I have something new (and weird) to report, but will first comment on your suggestions, which are good ones. The Marantz SR7001 receiver is HDMI 1.2 and does not accept the newer lossless codecs such as Dolby TruHD and DTS-MA. At any rate, I reset the player to factory defaults, then turned off everything that looked like an advanced HDMI feature. Specific settings I chose were:
[screen settings]
3D Output: off
BD/DVD-ROM 1080/24p: off
YCbCr/RGB (HDMI): RGB
(required to display colors correctly)
HDMI Deep Color: off
[audio settings]
Audio (HDMI): PCM
DSD Output: off
BD Audio Mix: off
[BD/DVD viewing settings]
BD Internet Connection: do not allow
[System]
Control for HDMI: off
Quick Start Mode: off
Software Update Notification: off
Gracenote Settings: manual

OK, here is the weird behavior that I discovered today:
with HDMI connections only (HDMI cable from player to receiver, HDMI cable from receiver to display), the receiver can receive audio from the player only when the display is turned off. In other words, with HDMI connections only, my combination of gear (Sony BDP-S570 + Marantz SR7001 receiver + Sony KDS-60A3000 display) cannot play audio and video at the same time.

To make the issue even clearer, I will describe an "operation sequence":
(1) Turn on player, receiver, display
result of (1): video=YES, audio=NO
(2) Turn display off
result of (2): video=NO (display is off, duh!), audio=YES
(3) Turn display on again
result of (3): video=NO, audio=NO
(4) Turn receiver off and on (w. player and display on)
result of (4): video=YES, audio=NO

I observed the same behavior for a BluRay disc (rented, "Donnie Darko") and standard (Redbook) CDs. For standard CDs, the video display (that is either ON or OFF depending on step in sequence) just shows the CD track number and timing.

While amusing, these experiments have taken enough time, so I don't see any choice but to return the BDP-S570. I hope that an "old-style", 2D only, HDMI 1.3, Blu-Ray player will work with my existing system. I have found reports of successful operation of "old-style" players with the Marantz.

Oh by the way, a comment on the content used for the tests: the "Donnie Darko" rental turned out to be highly appropriate, because the increasing complexity of getting "simple, mass-market" consumer electronics gear to just work must be a sign that the End Times are approaching
post #1565 of 3954 Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah, thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't sure how windows specific formats were handled. Since I primarily use Macs, I typically don't think about windows formats unless I need to do something that requires cross compatibility. Most of the video /audio formats I work in asa professional include h.264 Mpeg4/Mpeg2 for audio either AAC/AC3 Mainly stereo as I haven't had to mix anything above that. Well and i have some mp3s around but when possible like to use AAC as it's better quality. I think the unit supports AIFF too for an uncompressed audio format. I'll have to double check on that one. Maybe it doesn't though.
post #1566 of 3954 Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 PM

I've been moving my home theater and want to consolidate some items.
Presently I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and a Yamaha S1800 for my DVD and SACD playback (I don't like slot loading my DVDs in the PS3).

While I am pleased with the Yamaha, I am wondering if i'll get similar quality with Sony's BDP-S570 on the CD/SACD side. My current Denon 2309 won't decode DSD, so how are you all like the PCM decoding?

Thanks for any help.
post #1567 of 3954 Old 11-12-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdiii View Post
I've been moving my home theater and want to consolidate some items.
Presently I have a PS3 for Blu-Ray and a Yamaha S1800 for my DVD and SACD playback (I don't like slot loading my DVDs in the PS3).

While I am pleased with the Yamaha, I am wondering if i'll get similar quality with Sony's BDP-S570 on the CD/SACD side. My current Denon 2309 won't decode DSD, so how are you all like the PCM decoding?

Thanks for any help.
I can't tell the difference between DSD and LPCM for an SACD on my Yamaha RX-V867. If you have a test procedure I can try to duplicate it. Every CD I play on the S570 sounds better than the S360 I used to have.
post #1568 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Guys,

I wanted to let everyone Know, that i've found a very nice solution to DVD playback since I have more DVDs then blu-ray currently. Yesterday I purchased a Sony DVP-SR500H upscaling DVD player from walmart to go in the bedroom with the S570. I purchased this for two main reasons:

1. No blu-ray player i've seen or used supports all of the standard features of DVD playback such as A-B repeat searching and other little features that make working with discs nice.
2. This sony can remember up to 6 discs and I've never seen a BR player (even from sony that can do this.) What this does is it will remember where the movie stopped on up to 6 different DVDs. You can even take the disc out and watch something else, go back to it later and it will pick right up again. I know most blu-ray players will remember the disc in the drive but pit can be funky sometimes, and once you take the disc out the memory is gone.

In terms of picture adjustment in comparison to the S570's dvd playback abilities, this stand alone player from sony has many more options for picture adjustments and audio adjustments on the player itself to improve and enhance both audio and video. I find that dvds played on this unit actually look nicer thlen the s570. The only player I own that might rival the quality is the panasonic 85k, The difference may just be the difference between plasma and LCD quality though.

Here is my conclusion of my setup.

It's nice that blu-ray players include backward compatibility for DVD upscaling and playback. However, in my experience past/present nothing beats a stand alone DVD player for features when it comes to disc playback. Especially, since most blu-ray players seem to have skimped on many of the most basic and standard features mentioned above. For now, I think I'll use a stand alone upscaling DVD player for DVDs and the blu-ray players for streaming, blu-rays and other media options they offer until manufactures put back some of the standard functions blu-ray player dvd compatibility seems to currently not support.
post #1569 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My S570 is on it's way...does anyone use this with a URC MX series remote...looking for the remote codes that are not on CCP yet...is there another Sony BDP using the same remote?

ISF Level II Certified Calibrator
CEDIA Member
Serving Central Indiana
www.indyvideocal.com
post #1570 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone had any DLNA stability issues with this player ? What i've experienced is while watching one particular video the unit's network connection will crash and I have to restart the unit to get tcp/ip working again. It's almost like dlna kills the tcp/ip stack. Things like netflix streaming and other services work fine. This appears to be a dlna bug only. I thought my airport had crashed . but when going to the Macbook, everything was still active there on the internet.
post #1571 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDragon View Post

So still no ntfs support? That was one thing (along with divx) I was hoping for.

Use the Fat32Formatter to format large external hard drives to the FAT32 system so your BDP-S570 can read them: http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html.

I used it to format a Western Digital 500GB My Passport drive to FAT32 and it worked like a charm. Now I can play my entire music collection through the drive connected to the BDP-S570 via the USB port in the front.

The only problem? Why oh why couldn't Sony have added a "shuffle" or "random play" feature? I hope a firmware upgrade corrects this someday, but it really sucks that a basic feature like that has been excluded.
post #1572 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Is there anyone here with a S570 and a new Sony TV like HX8xx/HX9xx/LX9xx?

I have a problem: when I press the "home" button on my HX900's remote control, I do not get the home screen for the TV, but the S570 home screen.
In other words, when I press home, the S570 picks up the signal in stead of the TV. Extremely annoying. And yes, the TV remote is set to operate a TV and not a BD player.

Anyone experienced the same? Any solution? Right now I have to disconnect the S570 from the power outlet to access the home screen on my TV to make adjustments. If I turn the S570 off, it switches back on again when I try to access the home menu on my HX900.
post #1573 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongis View Post

Is there anyone here with a S570 and a new Sony TV like HX8xx/HX9xx/LX9xx?

I have a problem: when I press the "home" button on my HX900's remote control, I do not get the home screen for the TV, but the S570 home screen.
In other words, when I press home, the S570 picks up the signal in stead of the TV. Extremely annoying. And yes, the TV remote is set to operate a TV and not a BD player.

Anyone experienced the same? Any solution? Right now I have to disconnect the S570 from the power outlet to access the home screen on my TV to make adjustments. If I turn the S570 off, it switches back on again when I try to access the home menu on my HX900.

No problem here with the HX909 and S570.
post #1574 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 04:24 PM

I have a HX909 hooked up to the S570 and have no issues. Isn't there a option in the menu to set the TV to control HDMI connections? If so turn it off.
post #1575 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like Control for HDMI is conflicting between the player and TV. Try turning control for HDMI off in the Player's system settings. and see if the conflict goes away.
post #1576 of 3954 Old 11-13-2010, 08:45 PM

Liked: 14
Ok amazon says it streams 5.1 audio. With my Roku device amazon streams in 5.1 as indicated on my AVR. When I stream amazon thru my 570 it streams in PCM. Do I need to change a setting on my player to stream amazon in 5.1?
post #1577 of 3954 Old 11-14-2010, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I did some more testing with moy DLNA problems with the 570. Now it seems like aspect ratio is an issue in addition to the network crashing on the player after watching at least 1 particular video for a while.

What seems to happen is: Even with fixed aspect ratio selected in screen settings, all my 4:3 content is stretched out of aspect UNLESS, I have a 4:3 DVD in the drive during dlna playback. I only have 1 video that plays correctly with nothing in the drive, the rest are stretched. All Media from a local source e.g. usb drive or disc plays correctly. I put the same files on a usb drive to test.

There is One other thing to note here: When i first converted the file from mp4 to mpeg2 for dlna compatibility, the source said it was PAL, and therefore had to be converted to NTSC to work with DLNA. What I find funny is, the pal source plays directly from usb on the unit with not issues, the pal files didn't even show up on the server until i converted them to ntsc. Now the converted file seems to cause a bunch of issues. It would be helpful if someone could provide feedback.

Thanks
post #1578 of 3954 Old 11-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcdude View Post

My S570 is on it's way...does anyone use this with a URC MX series remote...looking for the remote codes that are not on CCP yet...is there another Sony BDP using the same remote?

I use the mx-500. It learned the codes just fine.

I also have the old ir clone program if you would like my file.

Dave

Uxbridge, MA.

post #1579 of 3954 Old 11-14-2010, 02:31 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by david0406 View Post

Ok amazon says it streams 5.1 audio. With my Roku device amazon streams in 5.1 as indicated on my AVR. When I stream amazon thru my 570 it streams in PCM. Do I need to change a setting on my player to stream amazon in 5.1?

Anyone???
post #1580 of 3954 Old 11-14-2010, 02:55 PM

I searched this thread to see if this had been addressed, but did not find anything... I'm just wondering if there is a way to view the current track on the display playing sacd's..???? (BTW - Yes, I know it is displayed on-screen, I just don't always want the TV 'on' to tell me what track is playing...

Also - another design flaw - Why is it you cannot directly access a track number by simply pressing the number on the remote..??? I hope there is a update to correct these or a setting I somehow missed...These are minor issues, however I do feel like it is a step backwards to not include them..right?!!

Please tell me I've missed a setting or something..

All in all the DSD playback and the picture quality are truly stunning, so I can live with it - if these are not addressed or ever fixed..

Thanks!

Phil
post #1581 of 3954 Old 11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSoundz View Post

I searched this thread to see if this had been addressed, but did not find anything... I'm just wondering if there is a way to view the current track on the display playing sacd's..???? (BTW - Yes, I know it is displayed on-screen, I just don't always want the TV 'on' to tell me what track is playing...

Also - another design flaw - Why is it you cannot directly access a track number by simply pressing the number on the remote..??? I hope there is a update to correct these or a setting I somehow missed...These are minor issues, however I do feel like it is a step backwards to not include them..right?!!

Please tell me I've missed a setting or something..

All in all the DSD playback and the picture quality are truly stunning, so I can live with it - if these are not addressed or ever fixed..

Thanks!

Phil

I can't comment on SACD functionality as I don't own any. As far as number search most blu-ray players lack this feature as well as other traditional features such as A-B repeat and others. That's why I got an upscaling DVD player for my DVDs. I am really starting to not like blu-ray as a technology beyond the picture quality. Audio I can't comment on yet because I don't have hardware to take full advantage of it currently. I like the streaming features such as netflix amazon VOD and all the new advances. I just feel more comfortable from a reliability and stability stand point with a regular DVD player then trusting one blu-ray player for everything. I've used the technology for about a year and these have been my conclusions.
post #1582 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:

Anyone???

Do you have your player set up to bitstream or to do internal decoding?
post #1583 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 09:47 AM

Does anybody know of a way to turn on subtitles on this player while watching anything on Netflix ?
post #1584 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

so no one has any ideas about my dlna random issues? that i've posted about a few times here ? It seems like it's software then hardware issues as the internet and streaming work fine but when watching videos on dlna the player randomly crashes. even doing a factory reset and initialize personal data didn't seem to clear it up fully. There are two things I've noticed. The problems seem to have showed up between hulu plus being added and Me updating the mac to 10.6.5. I use isedora and there is a windows version, if someone wouldn't mind testing it? The demo runs for an hour at a time but the crash will happen long before the time would expire if it's a isedora bug.

Thanks
post #1585 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone???

Those who are disappointed by the sound quality of Netflix's streaming service will finally get their wish for better audio.
Netflix has tapped Dolby Digital Plus to feature 5.1-channel surround sound in its streaming service, the companies announced today.
The new 5.1-channel surround sound feature will be made available on the PlayStation 3 first, the companies said. It will be offered in tandem with the native Netflix app launch on Monday. According to Netflix, it plans to offer 5.1-channel surround sound to other devices "over time," but it wouldn't say when it would roll out the feature or to which devices.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...#ixzz15N6FLnw1
post #1586 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shok View Post

Does anybody know of a way to turn on subtitles on this player while watching anything on Netflix ?

I don't think it's available. Check with Netflix...
post #1587 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys,

It seems Like I've got a handle on my DLNA issue apparently, DLNA wasn't playing nice on my wireless network and was choking the sony's wireless adapter. Actually I presented the problem to the mac users room i go to on IRC and someone helped me troubleshoot and also explained that streaming is a known reliability draw back for wifi. I switched to wired and the issue seems to have gone away completely. If i had known wifi was going to be this funky when dealing with the player, i would have just gotten the 370, oh well even without the 3D i still have other features including the built in memory. Well and it's too late to return it the receipt mysteriously disappeared.
post #1588 of 3954 Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Seems like the S570 will be available at a major retailer (starts with a W) on Saturday, after Thanksgiving, for $158
http://blackfriday.com/black-friday-...t/save-money/5

Why is there NO perfect equipment, only compromises?
post #1589 of 3954 Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM

I am having an issue with playing music off of a hard drive on my Network. It was seeing the music fine and then i built my Itunes library from the music on the hard drive and now the player is not able to play the music and states that the file is corrupted. I assume it doesnt like what ever itunes di with the music. Any Ideas?

Also I have an OPPO DV980h. Am i wrong to think that it plays DVD's better and up-converts better then the sony?
post #1590 of 3954 Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.train View Post

I am having an issue with playing music off of a hard drive on my Network. It was seeing the music fine and then i built my Itunes library from the music on the hard drive and now the player is not able to play the music and states that the file is corrupted. I assume it doesnt like what ever itunes di with the music. Any Ideas?

Also I have an OPPO DV980h. Am i wrong to think that it plays DVD's better and up-converts better then the sony?

Since you are using itunes,are you using a Mac? If so, are you using isedora as your dlna server? In my case I am able to play all audio files as long as they aren't DRM'd. I set up the server so it transcodes everything but mp3 (sony's native format support) to LPCM. I can't officially assist you until I know i'm working with a configuration similar to my own. As far as the oppo goes, it probably does upconvert better then the sony. I recently purchased a n upscaling dvd player from sony Model Number: SR500H I'm much happier with it for DVDs then any of my blu-ray players. mainly because it has traditional features blu-ray players lack when it comes to disc playback.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page