Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 3951 Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Since you are using itunes,are you using a Mac? If so, are you using isedora as your dlna server? In my case I am able to play all audio files as long as they aren't DRM'd. I set up the server so it transcodes everything but mp3 (sony's native format support) to LPCM. I can't officially assist you until I know i'm working with a configuration similar to my own. As far as the oppo goes, it probably does upconvert better then the sony. I recently purchased a n upscaling dvd player from sony Model Number: SR500H I'm much happier with it for DVDs then any of my blu-ray players. mainly because it has traditional features blu-ray players lack when it comes to disc playback.

I am using mac. But the hard drive just came out of the box, I have no issues with pictures.
I do not know what isedora is or what DRM'd is. I just took my older hard drive and copied all the music files over to the the WD My world networked HD. Thenbuilt my Itunes library from that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 3951 Old 11-16-2010, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.train View Post

I am using mac. But the hard drive just came out of the box, I have no issues with pictures.
I do not know what isedora is or what DRM'd is. I just took my older hard drive and copied all the music files over to the the WD My world networked HD. Thenbuilt my Itunes library from that.

OK, well isedora is a DLNA server for Mac OS X. It's not free, but for a mac user it's one of the best. A single license is only $25. The reason i was asking is by default isedora uses your music folder in your home folder as the default place to find music. If itunes was putting things outside that folder then you'd have to add the folder it was in so the server would share it. Since this is not the case I'm not sure of the situation for sure. You can try isedora for free it runs for an hour at a time until you register. check out www.isedora.com for details.

BTW. isedora is the only dlna server i've found that lets you stream videos in terms of mac servers. The videos must either be vobs or NTSC mpeg2 to work with the player. Another word of caution is I've found that if you can hardwire your player do so. Wireless and dlna can be very unhappy depending your setup, software and hardware combinations.
post #1593 of 3951 Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.train View Post

It was seeing the music fine and then i built my Itunes library from the music on the hard drive and now the player is not able to play the music and states that the file is corrupted.

Did you by any chance have iTunes convert the format of your music while it built the library? At least in the Windows version, there are options to control what iTunes does with your music files (i.e. convert them to another format). Is it possible that they've now been changed to a format the Sony doesn't recognize?

Or did iTunes actually move the music files to another location since you were building the library from an external drive?

I know these are long shots, but I'm trying to help.
post #1594 of 3951 Old 11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZManCartFan View Post

Did you by any chance have iTunes convert the format of your music while it built the library? At least in the Windows version, there are options to control what iTunes does with your music files (i.e. convert them to another format). Is it possible that they've now been changed to a format the Sony doesn't recognize?

Or did iTunes actually move the music files to another location since you were building the library from an external drive?

I know these are long shots, but I'm trying to help.

That's why I recommended the server software I use for streaming, even if the file isn't a native format of the sony, it will work through lpcm transcoding. The only thing the sony won't do and any other software is player DRM'd content that's apple specific so any non apple device won't work. That's why itunes for windows requires quicktime for windows as quicktime handles the DRM management for the apple format.

By default itunes only converts imports e.g. CDs to AAC. m4a
post #1595 of 3951 Old 11-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Hope this hasn't been answered before. When my BDP-S350 starting having problems, I decided to buy a BDP-S570 player. Player does a great job but I noticed it would not play any audio on just the bonus items on some discs even though it played all the movies flawlessly. One disc in particular was Toy Story 3 on the bonus feature of Buzz Lightyear on the International Space Station. If you start playing this feature there would be no audio. The only way to get the audio to play was to hit the "rewind" button on my remote for a couple of seconds and then hit play and then you would get sound. So I figured that the player was defective since it also did this on a couple of other Blu-rays. So I brought it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another BDP-S570. But guess what, it also does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem on this particular disc? Since this happened on both my players, I figure it is an incompatiblilty issue with that player and the audio track on some bonus features on some discs. Maybe Sony will issue a firmware update to fix the problem. The firmware version on my player is M04.R.588. Thanks for any info on this, Don
post #1596 of 3951 Old 11-16-2010, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpi View Post
Hope this hasn't been answered before. When my BDP-S350 starting having problems, I decided to buy a BDP-S570 player. Player does a great job but I noticed it would not play any audio on just the bonus items on some discs even though it played all the movies flawlessly. One disc in particular was Toy Story 3 on the bonus feature of Buzz Lightyear on the International Space Station. If you start playing this feature there would be no audio. The only way to get the audio to play was to hit the "rewind" button on my remote for a couple of seconds and then hit play and then you would get sound. So I figured that the player was defective since it also did this on a couple of other Blu-rays. So I brought it back to Best Buy and exchanged it for another BDP-S570. But guess what, it also does the same thing. Has anyone else had this problem on this particular disc? Since this happened on both my players, I figure it is an incompatiblilty issue with that player and the audio track on some bonus features on some discs. Maybe Sony will issue a firmware update to fix the problem. The firmware version on my player is M04.R.588. Thanks for any info on this, Don
Hey Don, Just so you know, there is already a newer firmware version then what's on your player. connect your player to the internet (if it's not already) and run network update under the settings menu at the top of the media bar. Install the latest firmware, and see if this corrects your problem.

Hope this helps!
post #1597 of 3951 Old 11-18-2010, 06:45 AM

I sold my Oppo bdp-83 last month while I wait for the new bdp-93. I thought in the meantime I'd buy the Sony s-570 as it has received great reviews for its blu-ray playback. I was immediately impressed with the menu system. I have also used the Panasonic BMP-85 which has a menu circa 1995. However, the main reason I was giving the Sony a try was because it advertises DLNA support.

DLNA support is dismal. After I first connected the unit up to my network via the 10/100 ethernet interface I could not see mediatomb on my Linux server. The Oppo had no problem with this. After 2 hours or internet searches and installing various DLNA/UPnP servers I had success with miniDLNA. The Sony immediately saw my server and I was thinking that I was on the home stretch. Then, I browse out to my folders and EVERY SINGLE MOVIE/SHOW WOULD NOT PLAY. 90% of my files are .mkv or .avi and they all just don't work. I pulled one .mkv file off the server and put it on to a USB drive and the Sony plays it fine through USB. Seriously? The more I read about this the more I see people are transcoding files into something the player can actually play over the network. No thanks. I understand my Oppo bdp-83 was twice the cost, but come on, it just worked. I'd think Sony of all companies would have enough resources to make a player play the most common file types out there. In the meantime I'll wait for the Oppo BDP-93 and return the Sony back to Target.

I realize many of you are happy S570 owners. I will say that I have watched two blu-rays with this player and in this area I think the player really shines. It loaded both discs (The Messenger and Toy Story 3) lightning quick and my first impression was that the colors looked amazing. They might be slightly saturated compared to what I'm used to, but colors seemed to pop unlike what I remembered on the Oppo or Panasonic.
post #1598 of 3951 Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM

Referring to my post above, has anyone played the bonus feature on the Toy Story 3 disc where Buzz Lightyear is on the international space station and there is no audio. The firmware on my 570 is version 588 and I know about a firmware upgrade that's already available, but I've heard that some people install firmware upgrades and then have other problems caused by the upgraded firmware. So it would be nice to know if any other BDP-S570 owners have the same problem before I upgrade the firmware. I've had it on two BDP-S570 players that I have used. Some bonus features ......no audio but the movies play fine. ??????????????
post #1599 of 3951 Old 11-18-2010, 01:27 PM

Scarpi - I didn't try that short with Buzz, but maybe it's an issue with Dolby Digital. I've noticed a lot of extra features on my system are not in Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD Master Audio and I'll hear my processor click over and a second later I pick up the new audio stream.
post #1600 of 3951 Old 11-18-2010, 08:38 PM

Well my processor, a 10 year old B&K Reference 30, only does Dolby digital or DTS. It does not have the latest audio formats. I'll look into it further but it still seems weird that I get audio on these bonus features after hitting the rewind and then play button. It isn't that big of a deal and I can live with it. Funny though my old BDP-S350 did not have this problem. But it all of a sudden would not play most of my blu-rays and that's why I got the S570. Thanks for the input, Don
post #1601 of 3951 Old 11-18-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavison007 View Post

DLNA support is dismal.

Sadly, I wholeheartedly agree. As I recall from the few weeks I spent trying to get a video format to play, the only thing it plays natively is .vob, and that is even sketchy. I finally gave up and just bought a $100 dedicated network media player that plays all formats (.iso being my format of choice) to use as my player for my server-based media - much easier than the headaches of trying to figure out what/how to do it on the S570.

I know the technology to play other formats is out there and Sony seems to be relatively competent when it comes to technology, so I can only assume protecting Sony Pictures interests is a higher priority to Sony than providing the actual advertised DLNA functionality on the S570.
post #1602 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeroux View Post

Sadly, I wholeheartedly agree. As I recall from the few weeks I spent trying to get a video format to play, the only thing it plays natively is .vob, and that is even sketchy. I finally gave up and just bought a $100 dedicated network media player that plays all formats (.iso being my format of choice) to use as my player for my server-based media - much easier than the headaches of trying to figure out what/how to do it on the S570.

I know the technology to play other formats is out there and Sony seems to be relatively competent when it comes to technology, so I can only assume protecting Sony Pictures interests is a higher priority to Sony than providing the actual advertised DLNA functionality on the S570.

Just curious. What media player did you go with?
post #1603 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I also agree about the DLNA implementation.

I just bought a WDTV LIVE HD Plus for my streaming. It's not perfect, but it was cheap enough and has played everything I've thrown at it. I know better boxes are on the horizon, but it should do fine for another 6 months or more while I wait for a streamer that I know I can hold onto for a few years.
post #1604 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavison007 View Post

Just curious. What media player did you go with?

I went with the Brite View CinemaGo 5005 Mini. Have been very pleased with it, but I use it exclusively with a wired connection, so I can't speak to its wireless capabilities. In my experience, it was far less buggy then the WDTV Live Plus, which I also tried briefly, but returned.

--EDIT--
I should probably qualify that by saying that for me the Brite View was less buggy than the WDTV Live for playing my server-based media. The issue I had with the WDTV Live Plus was that sometimes it would see and play my server-based video content, sometimes it would not.

The WDTV Live does have embedded "Apps" for playing Netflix etc, which the Brite View does not, and as I recall, these worked fine for streaming internet content. Of course, since the S570 also has these types of apps, that was not really of any benefit to me.
post #1605 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I actually prefer Netflix on the WD box.

But that has more to do with not really liking it on the 570.

The WD box is definitely less buggy playing form local or shared devices. When I play stuff over the network I always choose the shared device option as the media server option for whatever reason can be wonky. Even though they are essentially doing the same thing. At least for my setup, which is one large drive connected directly to the WD box, and it accessing my home PC through wired ethernet/router.

Has anyone noticed if Hulu is available yet on the 570?
post #1606 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post

I actually prefer Netflix on the WD box.

But that has more to do with not really liking it on the 570.

The WD box is definitely less buggy playing form local or shared devices. When I play stuff over the network I always choose the shared device option as the media server option for whatever reason can be wonky. Even though they are essentially doing the same thing. At least for my setup, which is one large drive connected directly to the WD box, and it accessing my home PC through wired ethernet/router.

Has anyone noticed if Hulu is available yet on the 570?

Yes. Click on the Hulu icon and it will change if you have the latest firmware.
post #1607 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry if this has been asked and answered but I couldn't find anything on a search...

Does anyone know if there's a way to delete unwanted items from the "Video" list in the main menu? (most likely it would have to be a hack of some kind)

I mean how long does Sony think I want to see the "Michael Jackson: His Music Will Live Forever" on my machine? Hopefully IT won't be on my player FOREVER!

Thanks
Karl

-Karl
post #1608 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Contact Sony and scream at them...maybe it will do some good.
post #1609 of 3951 Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh View Post

Contact Sony and scream at them...maybe it will do some good.

Silly boy! That would imply that Sony has ears!

-Karl
post #1610 of 3951 Old 11-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hello, What's the model # on the s570's remote? Where can I get one and are there any replacements that are reasonably priced?

Does the latest firmware support acvhd on disc and mp3 on flash drive?
Thank you...
post #1611 of 3951 Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 PM

Hey guys, a new S570 owner here.

I was interested in finding out if there was an easy way to enter my long and very random WPA2 key on my router and searched this thread. Nothing came up so I just plugged in a spare USB keyboard, and to my suprise it works! It also works when entering text in You Tube and other places. I hope this info helps
post #1612 of 3951 Old 11-20-2010, 01:02 PM

Hello, I hope this question hasn't come up before. I've been trying to stream a couple mp4 files from my computer via my bdp-s570 and I noticed that despite the files having 5.1 channel sound, the player said they were only 2 channels. It did this with multiple different files, all with 6 channels, some with AAC encoding and some with AC-3.

Does anyone know why it's doing this or how to fix it? I'm half tempted to just buy a dedicated media device as between this and Tivo's quirks with playing files I'm getting fed up.
post #1613 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
New owner of Sony BDP-S570. Nice unit especially for the price. SACD! Having a minor issue with my Harmony Remote. When exiting the bluray's activity and going to PS3 game playing activity the 570 won't turn off. Any one deal with this? Delay setting for the Harmony?

About ready to add "Poweroff" into the exit commands for the activity but wanted to check and see if someone already figured this out.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #1614 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Hello, I recently purchased a BDP-S570. Everything seemed great and I was especially impressed with the Netflix streaming over my wireless-N router. Anyways, I recently tried to play a blu-ray of "Hot Tub Time Machine" and a red screen came up with the following message: "Warning Your blu-ray player requires an update to play this disc". I double-checked and I have the latest firmware update. Has anybody else had a similar issue? Any recommendations?
post #1615 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post
I read yesterday that the Wii is now also diskless.

I really have no complaint with Netflix performance on my 570 other than wanting to not need a pc to populate the que. I am using the 5ghz band of my dual band wireless N router for all my media streaming and I think that wireless G probably would not be enough for Netflix hd streams.
So the 570 has a Netflix browser but you can't use it to update the queue?
post #1616 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post
So the 570 has a Netflix browser but you can't use it to update the queue?
Correct. You can only browse and see the items in your queue. You can, however, delete items from your queue from the 570.
post #1617 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 10:59 AM

Thanks ZMan, I needed clarification for the Playon forums.
Hope this isn't a hijack, but here are the links:

http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-dev...est-device-use

http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-dev...-w-screenshots
post #1618 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trac View Post

Thanks ZMan, I needed clarification for the Playon forums.
Hope this isn't a hijack, but here are the links:

http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-dev...est-device-use

http://www.playon.tv/forum/media-dev...-w-screenshots

I think you're sunk on a couple of levels. The Sony does not have a full Netflix browser, and it also has sketchy DLNA support. For example, I can't even see a Tversity server on the Sony.

You might be better off looking at an LG unit. I have an LG-BD570 as well, and it's DLNA is much more robust. It also has a full Netflix browser that lets you add and delete from your queue. I like Netflix on the LG a lot better by the way for the main TV. I can always scan new releases whenever I want. I've got the Sony in the bedroom, so I don't mind as much just seeing the queue.

FWIW, I've also got a PS3, but I haven't really played with any of the DLNA servers on the PS3 in quite a while. I've never tried Playon.

Hope this helps!
post #1619 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you're sunk on a couple of levels. The Sony does not have a full Netflix browser, and it also has sketchy DLNA support. For example, I can't even see a Tversity server on the Sony.

You might be better off looking at an LG unit. I have an LG-BD570 as well, and it's DLNA is much more robust. It also has a full Netflix browser that lets you add and delete from your queue. I like Netflix on the LG a lot better by the way for the main TV. I can always scan new releases whenever I want. I've got the Sony in the bedroom, so I don't mind as much just seeing the queue.

FWIW, I've also got a PS3, but I haven't really played with any of the DLNA servers on the PS3 in quite a while. I've never tried Playon.

Hope this helps!

I was considering the LG myself but a lot of people report discs random freeze on it, both DVD and blu-ray. So I stayed away for that reason. What is you experience from this point of view? Also wlmart has the 550 of the LG I don't think the 550 has wifi but wifi isn't a must for me. Does the 550 have dlna? do you know?
post #1620 of 3951 Old 11-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Hope this helps!

I agree just needed to clarify for another person. I have the Sammy and posted the screenshots, the only other BD I'd consider is the 7900 for dual HDMI. Great write up at Amazon and 7900 thread.

@Mac the 6900 and 7900 have true DLNA you can see from the screenshots. Also has PC Share Manager software.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page