post #151 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

In theory. I'd be interested to see if the 1/3 stays in affect as the available bandwidth increases. Cnet's review complains of poor Netflix streaming and I imagine they have a decent amount free.

I am a bit surprised the Sony has "poor" Netflix streaming per you and CNET. I wonder if this is firmware fixable or just an inherent issue.

My BDP-S570 on the way so I can't see myself. How do other owners feel about the quality of Netflix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

I am a bit surprised the Sony has "poor" Netflix streaming per you and CNET. I wonder if this is firmware fixable or just an inherent issue.

My BDP-S570 on the way so I can't see myself. How do other owners feel about the quality of Netflix?

It's OK in HD if you have a 6 Mbps speed or better. Keep in mind that Netflix is never real HD quality , not close to bluray and even a decent cable/satellite. Amazon VOD in HD is a lot better. Netflix audio is also very poor, 2 channels and low bitrate. Amazon is 5.1 with few titles.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #153 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

It's OK in HD if you have a 6 Mbps speed or better. Keep in mind that Netflix is never real HD quality , not close to bluray and even a decent cable/satellite. Amazon VOD in HD is a lot better. Netflix audio is also very poor, 2 channels and low bitrate. Amazon is 5.1 with few titles.

OK thanks for that. I have greater than 6 Mbps.

I wonder if Sony has plans to add Vudu.
post #154 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 10:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjrenna View Post

I bought the s370 last week. Netflix was very choppy. Amazon HD was fine. I have better than 12 mbps now with no errors and grade A on pingtest. After many hours of blaming my ISP (Uverse), Sony then took shots at my TV until they found out it was an XBR6. Numerous calls to support (offshore) got me routed through tier 2 and finally, to engineering, who promised a callback within 24 hours. It never happened and the S370 was returned, which I hated to do because I really like Sony video equipment, but wanted Netflix more. It took five minutes to hook up the Panasonic BD85 I exchanged it for and Netflix and Amazon both worked flawlessly, the streams on a par with the best DVD's, so the issue WAS with Sony, not me. There is still a bug for some folks with the Sony Netflix firmware implementation, apparently with all Sony streaming BD players.
post #155 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 06:02 PM

I little off target, but i can not setup player because I can't see the HOME menu. Anyone have any Idea. I am using an HDMI setup. If I put a movie in it works fine.
post #156 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 PM

I have the BBC version of "Life" and I can't get it to play on my 570. It will play the intro, then go back to the home screen.

From what I have read its because the BBC version is in 50hz. Anyone give me some help here?
post #157 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdatpslp View Post

I bought the s370 last week. Netflix was very choppy. Amazon HD was fine. I have better than 12 mbps now with no errors and grade A on pingtest. After many hours of blaming my ISP (Uverse), Sony then took shots at my TV until they found out it was an XBR6. Numerous calls to support (offshore) got me routed through tier 2 and finally, to engineering, who promised a callback within 24 hours. It never happened and the S370 was returned, which I hated to do because I really like Sony video equipment, but wanted Netflix more. It took five minutes to hook up the Panasonic BD85 I exchanged it for and Netflix and Amazon both worked flawlessly, the streams on a par with the best DVD's, so the issue WAS with Sony, not me. There is still a bug for some folks with the Sony Netflix firmware implementation, apparently with all Sony streaming BD players.

I am convinced it is the product(Sony), and not your bandwidth.

I have only 2MB download/378kbps upload(1.98/375 on speedtest.net), and I have used the ROKU HD player(connected via HDMI), the Sammy 2500(connected via HDMI), and currently for Blu-Ray the Panny BD-85(connected via HDMI). Using a Samsung 40B640 LCD TV.

Now, with NETFLIX, I can compare the Sammy 2500(which I sold), and the ROKU. Even with 2.0MBps download, I still get 4 full circles on my ROKU, and used to continually get 10 out of 13 bars on the Sammy. The Sammy, "occasionally" would downgrade itself to 7-8 bars, but it was rare. But it still did it.

The ROKU NEVER changes speed, or downgrades while playing. I have not experienced once. But both the ROKU at 4 bars and the Sammy at 10 lines, both showed pictures that looked like SVHS Quality/DVD quality, depending on the movie. REALLY GOOD IMHO for either of the units.

So it seems as if there may be something deficient, or something just not working as well as either the ROKU or the Sammy 2500 as fay a picture quality is concerned.

Can't compare the Panny BD-80 for Netflix because it does not have it, but YouTube videos are pretty good, depending on the original source.
post #158 of 3951 Old 03-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Hi, I just got the BDP-S570 and am connected wireless with a G router. My connection bounces between 60% to 25%. I receive a message when playing Netflix movies that my network connection is not working pretty frequently and I have to restart netflix.

Does anyone know if there is pretty big jumps in the network connection (but never less than 25%) if it is normal to get disconnected from netflix. I'd like to know before returning the unit (I bought it "open-boxed", so I want to make sure it is connection problem and not a unit problem. Thanks!
post #159 of 3951 Old 03-28-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugasmax View Post

Hi, I just got the BDP-S570 and am connected wireless with a G router. My connection bounces between 60% to 25%. I receive a message when playing Netflix movies that my network connection is not working pretty frequently and I have to restart netflix.

Does anyone know if there is pretty big jumps in the network connection (but never less than 25%) if it is normal to get disconnected from netflix. I'd like to know before returning the unit (I bought it "open-boxed", so I want to make sure it is connection problem and not a unit problem. Thanks!

What other wireless devices do you have in the house?

Repeaters for external antennas? or Cell phones?
Cordless phones in the 2.4 or 5.8 GHZ range?
Does it cut out when the phone rings if so?
Other users using your wireless connection with b vs g wireless devices?

Lot's of potential issues ....

Isn't it time someone promoted quality as value?
post #160 of 3951 Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM

This unit definitely needs some kind of firmware update. The Wifi is flaky and the Netflix picture quality is soft and tends to drop out. I also have a Roku box which works much better, both in speed and reliability. I'm wondering if using a wireless bridge with the S370(or the one at Costco-different number and comes with a cable) is a better option.
post #161 of 3951 Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I used the S570 (wirelessly) for a week or so and had zero issues with it dropping Netflix. Now my router is in the same room fifteen feet away so it wasn't exactly a challenge. Image wise it was very consistent... steady but poor.
post #162 of 3951 Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I used the S570 (wirelessly) for a week or so and had zero issues with it dropping Netflix. Now my router is in the same room fifteen feet away so it wasn't exactly a challenge. Image wise it was very consistent... steady but poor.

Same here. I had a Samsung 5500 before this and I can tell you this Sony is NIGHT AND DAY better than the Samsung both from a UI perspective, build quality AND network connectivity point of view. Every time I powered off the Samsung it would lose the Wifi. I was only getting 300kbps over Wifi with it !!??!!!! and it was unstable at the best of times.

On the Sony the Wifi is rock solid. I've played Netflix video and while the quality isn't DVD like it was acceptable for basic watching and didn't hick-up one bit. Haven't tried Amazon yet but I hear its video quality is MUCH better than Netflix so the player is definitely capable of more!

Mark.
post #163 of 3951 Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Just got it and connected it. So far I'm very impressed. If that changes, I'll post it.
post #164 of 3951 Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM

I turned on the player and noticed a firmware upgrade was ready to download. I can't find information. Does anybody know what this is about?

Thanks!
post #165 of 3951 Old 03-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoy View Post

I turned on the player and noticed a firmware upgrade was ready to download. I can't find information. Does anybody know what this is about?

Thanks!

So you already have the .315 update and it says that another is available? I'm not at home to check mine.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #166 of 3951 Old 03-31-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

So you already have the .315 update and it says that another is available? I'm not at home to check mine.

Yep. 4.73 maybe? I have software version M04.R.473.

edit: I am watching Netflix and the movie I viewed previously looked like a DVD and now looks like an upconverted DVD. Perhaps this is the answer.
post #167 of 3951 Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep. 4.73 maybe? I have software version M04.R.473.

edit: I am watching Netflix and the movie I viewed previously looked like a DVD and now looks like an upconverted DVD. Perhaps this is the answer.

Wierd, I went to sony style and they don't have any updates listed right now, not even the last one (.315)

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #168 of 3951 Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Wierd, I went to sony style and they don't have any updates listed right now, not even the last one (.315)

Hence I couldn't find any information on this firmware upgrade.
post #169 of 3951 Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hence I couldn't find any information on this firmware upgrade.

The s370 page does show the new firmware update with todays date (3/31) but still not on the s570 page. When I get home I'll see if it's waiting for me wirelessly. here is a copy/paste from the s370 page....
File Description Date Version Size Download
File Now Add To
Download Taxi
BDP-S370 Firmware Update (version 473) 03/31/2010 473 34.85 MB

post #170 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Updated mine to 315 on Tuesday when I got it. updated it to 473 last night. Nothing on the Sony BDP-S570 eSupport page but there is for the BDP-S470.

I am assuming it applies to the 570.

"What does this do?

This utility updates the BDP-S470 firmware to version 473 and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version 315:

Enhanced Gracenote Entertainment database browser features:

Adds new features such Related Information Browse and Contents Search to improve your Blu-ray Disc™ movie database.

Enhanced photo slideshow:
Adds new visual effects and music to add to your photos when they are displayed on a TV.

Improved Compatibility:
Adds compatibility with DTS Neo:6 to convert the audio into 5.1 or 6.1 channel format.

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version 473:

Resolves an issue where video streamed over the Internet may be displayed at SD (Standard Definition) instead of HD (High Definition) even when using a high speed Internet connection (10 Mbps or more) and watching video that is provided in HD."

Here is the link...

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...90&mdl=BDPS470
post #171 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM

Damn, there seems to be quite a few people complaining on the Netflix streaming. I just bought this last night on E-bay brand new, which will probably arrive at my house in the next 5 days. I have a wireless n router, so hopefully I will get better results from Netflix. Does anyone know if the 473 update also applies to the S570? Were some of you able to perform the firmwaure update wirelessly? I would hate to upgrade to something that wasn't meant for this unit. Other than this, I 'm looking forward to playing with the S570.

BTW, I currently own the S350 which has worked flawlessly ever since I bought it brand new when it first came out. Never a problem with that unit. I'll be moving that to another bedroom.
post #172 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

Damn, there seems to be quite a few people complaining on the Netflix streaming. I just bought this last night on E-bay brand new, which will probably arrive at my house in the next 5 days. I have a wireless n router, so hopefully I will get better results from Netflix. Does anyone know if the 473 update also applies to the S570? Were some of you able to perform the firmwaure update wirelessly? I would hate to upgrade to something that wasn't meant for this unit. Other than this, I 'm looking forward to playing with the S570.

BTW, I currently own the S350 which has worked flawlessly ever since I bought it brand new when it first came out. Never a problem with that unit. I'll be moving that to another bedroom.

It will offer an update automatically if you are connected to the internet. I am connected wireless G. In the two days I have had it, it offered two updates. I updated to 315 and then to 473. I tried all the free video services and they looked as good as I expect them to look. I tried an Amazon VOD free preview and it looked great. I will try Netflix next but based on the Amazon performance I am expecting it to look good as well. No hiccups but I do have fast internet with plenty of bandwidth from FiOS.
post #173 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 01:24 PM

I have upgraded to firmware version 473 and the Netflix video looks as "jerky" as ever on my pristine 10MB fiber connection. Amazon works perfectly with HD video and 5.1 surround sound. I am seriously considering taking this player back to the store since Netflix streaming was one of the main reasons I picked it.
post #174 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorpheus View Post

I have upgraded to firmware version 473 and the Netflix video looks as "jerky" as ever on my pristine 10MB fiber connection. Amazon works perfectly with HD video and 5.1 surround sound. I am seriously considering taking this player back to the store since Netflix streaming was one of the main reasons I picked it.

Was it jerky before the firmware upgrade?
post #175 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 04:55 PM

The new update didn't do anything for Netflix. Still soft and the network connection tends to drop once in a while. I've found its more stable(but not any higher quality) with a wireless bridge, avoiding the Sony Wifi. My Roku box is definitely sharper(and faster too). I'm a little concerned that there isn't any fix, and that the promised DLNA update will be disappointing. I think it goes back to BB, and perhaps I'll just pick up the Costco wired version(I doubt I'm ever getting 3D) and wait. It seems like other players also have their problems, and in any event I'm not buying anything with a 90 day warranty(LG, Samsung, Panasonic-except at Costco apparently). I think all of these next gen Bluray players were rushed out.
post #176 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamorpheus View Post

I watched a movie from Netflix last night and it looked fine - nothing jerky and I am connected wireless (1ft to router) with a 5mbps DSL connection. Tonight I watched a movie on Amazon and it looked good, too. Maybe it is luck of the draw, the router, etc.
post #177 of 3951 Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I had a few of the under 200 bucks player.. was not really happy with any of them. I then saved up and got the oppo. it doesn't have netflix. but with the problems that I had with the 370. I didn't really care anymore. I would say stick with the roku.

Jacob
post #178 of 3951 Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

post #179 of 3951 Old 04-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

Hey guys Sam's has the BDPBX57, for $228 is it the same as the S570? Price is a little better than BB.
post #180 of 3951 Old 04-03-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by swak View Post

Hey guys Sam's has the BDPBX57, for $228 is it the same as the S570? Price is a little better than BB.

Same machine and you get a HDMI cable. Go for it. Nice return policy in case you don't like it.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page