Official Sony BDP-S570 Owners Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2281 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If this were wi-fi only, I'd suspect interference on wi-fi freqs.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post

If this were wi-fi only, I'd suspect interference on wi-fi freqs.

That's why I hard-wired it but I still have problems...just not as frequently. I live in a condo and when i did a search for networks their were 6 of them that I could I see! There are only 4 units in this condo development.
post #2283 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario View Post

That's why I hard-wired it but I still have problems...just not as frequently. I live in a condo and when i did a search for networks their were 6 of them that I could I see! There are only 4 units in this condo development.

Try wiring the player straight into the modem, bypassing the router. It may not be able to get an IP address depending on whether your ISP required the MAC address of the device connected to the modem to be registered with them. Some cable providers do. If you have no problems with the player wired straight to the modem, then the router is the issue.

Also, I'm not sure whether you are using cable or DSL, but cable can be horrible at times. I had Charter a while back and they had horrible latency spikes, the network was overloaded so you'd get only a fraction of the speed you were paying for (hiding behind their "up to" fine print) and they didn't invest in improving their network as they were on the verge of going bankrupt, they preferred to issue credits to my account every time I complained, but that didn't help my Internet experience.

From one of your computers you could also try http://speedtest.net and see the latency and speed, both directly connected to the modem and through the router.
post #2284 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:

Did you go back to your network settings and reconfigure for a wired setup? That's what I did yesterday when I ran my 100' Cat5 cable.

Streaming on Netflix works awesome for me. As has been said before, you can only play what is already in your Netflix queue; this works great for me since I find it easier to sit on the couch and use my Netflix iPhone app to search and add new titles. They show up pretty quickly once I refresh my home screen on the S570. The only thing I'm still having issues with is certain shows on Hulu Plus. Watching Modern Family yielded great picture quality but it would stop every few minutes to load. I highly doubt this is an issue on my end since I am now getting anywhere from 8-16 Mbps. After running a search, it seems that a lot of the PS3 guys are having this issue with Hulu also.... maybe Sony doesn't work well with Hulu? Family Guy and some other older shows worked fine for me but The Office and Modern Family didn't.

-Wes
post #2285 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 12:59 PM

I did reconfigure it but I think if i have to reset the settings everytime I use it to keep the stuttering down, that maybe somehow when it is running it mixes the wired and wireless signal. I then go to the network setup and then pick wired and have check settings automatically and it does and then more stutter for awhile. Makes me think something is happening with the setup.
post #2286 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:03 PM

I am using cable. I did a speedtest and the router appears to be getting a good signal but it is a wireless g with speedbooster. My wife has a wireless N adapter in her computer and of course it reverts to the g because of the router yet she gets a good signal.

How would I connect straight to the modem? There is a cable coming in it from the wall.Are you saying to plug the ethernet cable straight from the sony into the modem?
post #2287 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did reconfigure it but I think if i have to reset the settings everytime I use it to keep the stuttering down, that maybe somehow when it is running it mixes the wired and wireless signal. I then go to the network setup and then pick wired and have check settings automatically and it does and then more stutter for awhile. Makes me think something is happening with the setup.

Just configure the wi-fi with some dummy values for SSID and password so that it can't connect to any network. Then do the wired setup again. This way it will just be able to connect wired.
post #2288 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How would I connect straight to the modem? There is a cable coming in it from the wall.Are you saying to plug the ethernet cable straight from the sony into the modem?

Yes, try that, plus the dummy wi-fi setup I suggested.
post #2289 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDracula View Post

Just configure the wi-fi with some dummy values for SSID and password so that it can't connect to any network. Then do the wired setup again. This way it will just be able to connect wired.

I am not sure how to set some dummy values. How would I go about doing that in the Sony???? Maybe that will resolve the issue.
post #2290 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:26 PM

I would like to buy this Sony BR player. My problem is that I have an older Yamaha RXV-640 Receiver and it does not have HDMI.

After reading on this forum, I think that I will be able to connect the BR Player to my receiver via optical audio and let the receiver process the sound. I think I have read here that the sound is not too different from using HDMI. I will probably upgrade to another AV receiver in the future ( I still want to be able to use my ADCOM power amp to drive my JBL L-100 speakers and I understand that not all AVR's will let me do that>)

In any event, I am confused when I read on the Sony website that the bd570 only outputs 2 channel thru optical audio. Is that correct? Is that the best I can expect and will my receiver then process the signal and send it on to my 5 speakers? Will the sound be close to what I would get with HDMI?

Thanks in advance
post #2291 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Other things can interfere, too.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #2292 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkolop View Post

I would like to buy this Sony BR player. My problem is that I have an older Yamaha RXV-640 Receiver and it does not have HDMI.

After reading on this forum, I think that I will be able to connect the BR Player to my receiver via optical audio and let the receiver process the sound. I think I have read here that the sound is not too different from using HDMI. I will probably upgrade to another AV receiver in the future ( I still want to be able to use my ADCOM power amp to drive my JBL L-100 speakers and I understand that not all AVR's will let me do that>)

In any event, I am confused when I read on the Sony website that the bd570 only outputs 2 channel thru optical audio. Is that correct? Is that the best I can expect and will my receiver then process the signal and send it on to my 5 speakers? Will the sound be close to what I would get with HDMI?

Thanks in advance

You will get 5.1 channel sound from the optical connection. You will not get the lossless tracks on bluray that are only through HDMI. These do sound much better.
post #2293 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Other things can interfere, too.

Even hard-wired?
I am going to try and use dummy values and password to bypass the wireless in the sony.
post #2294 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

How would I go about setting a dummy password and SSID for the sony. I tried last night. I switched from wired to wireless. It showed my network as well as 6 others. it showed I was hooked up to my house network(because of the ethernet cable). Do i disconnect the ethernet and then put in a dummy network and then a dummy password?????? Wouldn't the unit try and connect automatically. I am just not sure how to do this the right way. I need to try and bypass the wireless somehow.
post #2295 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirkolop View Post

Thanks in advance

From the Yamaha website, your RX-V640 doesn't decode DTS and other high level audio sources. Or that's what they publish, they could be wrong. In that case the optical (or coax) will send the DD5.1 output if your content supplies it. The HDMI is needed for lossless stuff. I was using a JVC 5.1 receiver until I bought my RX-V867. The S570 sounds good even on optical or coax. Go coax if possible.

That Sony comment on 2ch audio pertains to SACD. To get that in DSD or LPCM requires HDMI. A DVD with DD5.1 works fine with optical audio on TOSLINK and video on HDMI.

Do you have a test for DD5.1? Just to be sure you get what you are paying for, should you buy the S570. My old JVC would light up its LFE indicator when DD5.1 came in. Now it's three buttons from the remote to check. Progress?
post #2296 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:

How would I go about setting a dummy password and SSID for the sony. I tried last night. I switched from wired to wireless. It showed my network as well as 6 others. it showed I was hooked up to my house network(because of the ethernet cable). Do i disconnect the ethernet and then put in a dummy network and then a dummy password?????? Wouldn't the unit try and connect automatically. I am just not sure how to do this the right way. I need to try and bypass the wireless somehow.

Hopefully the S570 doesn't tell lies. So: Home->Network Settings->Internet Settings->View Network Status. It tells you the connection type on the top line, along with your SSID, Signal Strength and Security. I show several wireless nodes nearby (using Win7 radar). One is called "Holiday Inn". Closest one is 50 miles away. Someone must have "borrowed" an old router.
post #2297 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe323 View Post

How do you delete/clear media servers that were previously connected from the XMB? I previously connected from my desktop and a couple laptops and would rather not have unconnected devices cluttering up the XMB.

Is there no way to clear media servers from the XMB?

Also btw, not sure if I read it here or somewhere else but you can play divx files (.avi container) from the usb drive by renaming from .avi to .mpg (US version).
post #2298 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Even hard-wired?
I am going to try and use dummy values and password to bypass the wireless in the sony.

No, I don't know of anything that would interfere with wired ethernet, except, possibly strong electrical fields somewhere along the page, and, even then doubtful.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #2299 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

I am using cable. I did a speedtest and the router appears to be getting a good signal but it is a wireless g with speedbooster. My wife has a wireless N adapter in her computer and of course it reverts to the g because of the router yet she gets a good signal.

I have a wireless G router and the only time I have problems with Netflix loading and also a slight jerkiness is at night when my DSL speed drops under 3kbps. My 570 is set up wireless. I also changed my router to channel 11. The signal from my router to the 570 stays from 80% to 100@. I don't know what my DSL speed is on the 570 but a Netbook showed 5.3kpbs during the day in that room.

You didn't say what your download speed is on your computers. That has a lot to do with how well Netflix streams.
post #2300 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I wonder if, in fact, they both aren't being used. I don't even know if that's possible.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #2301 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3vino View Post

I have a wireless G router and the only time I have problems with Netflix loading and also a slight jerkiness is at night when my DSL speed drops under 3kbps. My 570 is set up wireless. I also changed my router to channel 11. The signal from my router to the 570 stays from 80% to 100@. I don't know what my DSL speed is on the 570 but a Netbook showed 5.3kpbs during the day in that room.

You didn't say what your download speed is on your computers. That has a lot to do with how well Netflix streams.

With my wife using wireless downstairs, it still is at 28mbs.
post #2302 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:

I wonder if, in fact, they both aren't being used. I don't even know if that's possible.

I don't know if it is either....just no way to explain why I have to reset the wired connections to stop the pause every 5 minutes.
post #2303 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM

So far most everything works great - Netflix, Pandora, BD - all great. My problem occurs when trying to stream video from a NAS (I have WD MyBook Live) or TVersity. The player sees the MyBook server (Twonky), plays MP3s and views photos fine but will not play any of my avi or mpg files. It will only play WMV. Is this the only format I can play from a NAS?

I also have TVersity set up on my Windows 7 machine which streams just fine to by DirecTV boxes (coincidentally, that will only play mpg videos from my NAS). Unfortunately, I can't get the player to see TVersity or even WMP12. I searched on this forum to see if anyone had any solutions to either and came up empty. Has anyone had any luck or tried to do either of these?

I've spent a ridiculous amount of time converting my DVD collection to avi - an absurd amount of time, to have to redo this for wmv. Converting the avi to wmv will degrade quality further and in a world of HD, even worse than SD quality may be unwatchable. Ideas anyone?

Also, what format do playlists have to be in so the player can read them? I created several in Media Monkey (m3u format I think) but it doesn't recognize them.

Thanks!
post #2304 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't know if it is either....just no way to explain why I have to reset the wired connections to stop the pause every 5 minutes.

Could be the router's firmware, "latest" or greatest?

I now have a S570 because of the Netgear wndr3700 latest firmware, WNDR37AV-V1.0.6.98NA; it wouldn't provide ip to the LG 570 & the attached devices show a 169.x.x.x ip (looks like windows default). I disconnected/connected the cable where I also disconnected the HDMI unknowingly (how?!) to no change in status. Rebooted the router & the LG still didn't get an internet connection; that's when I went & got the Sony S570.

When starting to change the players, FINALLY saw that the HDMI was not plugged in. Red face & swearing. But the LG still didn't connect; got the older firmware for the router & everything worked as usual....whew!

Keeping the Sony as it will do SACD as was posted here; will try an SACD cd sometime; wondering if I will get any sound out from the optical port. Will be getting a new receiver around Feb that will have HDMI in/out.

Long story, but did you update the Linksys firmware recently?
post #2305 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Go to bd viewing settings under settings and set internet connections to do not allow. this will turn off bdlive access on the s570.

Thank you!

I was wondering because of the wording about disallowing BD internet connection; I do want the player to be able to connect to the internet; how else to use Netflix or get software updates!
post #2306 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Hi guys, I am really considering picking up a s570 but have just a few questions about it. I was considering picking up a WD Live Media player but then someone in my office was telling me that the Sony s570 can also stream media files as well.

All i'd like to view are some MKV files. From what i've read so far through research is that the s570 can only accept a drive that is FAT32 through the USB and that NTFS is not compatible. Is that correct? I have a WD Passport 320GB right now.....can I format that to be FAT32, or is that too large?

Also, the s570 has wifi....so is there a way I can just network it into my computer (running windows 7 operating system) and just stream it wirelessly through the network to view the MKV files? I am using Uverse TV and internet with pro internet speed of 3.0mbps.

Any help at all will be so appreciated.
post #2307 of 3951 Old 01-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a bit bewildered by what is happening with various sources. My equipment is a Yamaha AVR 661, a few years old; new Sony BD 570; and a new LG 46LD550 TV.

This is my first experience with Blu-ray. Originally had it hooked up via HDMI to the AVR and then HDMI to the TV. Finally realized that the reason I wasn't getting Blu-ray play at 1080/24 was because I had to run the HDMI directly from the Sony to the LG TV. OK, that solved that problem.

So then I connected the TV's optical out to the Yamaha's optical in; for Blu-ray, I'm getting DTS 5.1 (Bourne Trilogy BDs). Before, when the path was HDMI to the Sony to the TV, audio was MPCM. Which is better? Is there a difference, given the age of my AVR?

So now I try the reissued Tom Petty "Damn the Torpedos" Blu-ray audio. Instead of the 5.1 mix I got when using the HDMI path, now I'm getting 2 ch stereo from the optical path.

And, to confound me even more, I'm getting no sound at all when playing an SACD.

What's going on? Are my choices either 1080/24 or the best audio? Or could I run an optical cable directly from the Sony to the AVR for Blu-ray audio and SACD?

Arrrgh.

barry
post #2308 of 3951 Old 01-04-2011, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post

I'm a bit bewildered by what is happening with various sources. My equipment is a Yamaha AVR 661, a few years old; new Sony BD 570; and a new LG 46LD550 TV.

This is my first experience with Blu-ray. Originally had it hooked up via HDMI to the AVR and then HDMI to the TV. Finally realized that the reason I wasn't getting Blu-ray play at 1080/24 was because I had to run the HDMI directly from the Sony to the LG TV. OK, that solved that problem.

So then I connected the TV's optical out to the Yamaha's optical in; for Blu-ray, I'm getting DTS 5.1 (Bourne Trilogy BDs). Before, when the path was HDMI to the Sony to the TV, audio was MPCM. Which is better? Is there a difference, given the age of my AVR?

So now I try the reissued Tom Petty "Damn the Torpedos" Blu-ray audio. Instead of the 5.1 mix I got when using the HDMI path, now I'm getting 2 ch stereo from the optical path.

And, to confound me even more, I'm getting no sound at all when playing an SACD.

What's going on? Are my choices either 1080/24 or the best audio? Or could I run an optical cable directly from the Sony to the AVR for Blu-ray audio and SACD?

Arrrgh.

barry

From what I've read here, SACD works over HDMI only. As far as the other questions maybe someone else can chime in. I don't have an AVR currently so I just use direct hdmi to the TV for A/V.
post #2309 of 3951 Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgibby View Post

Arrrgh.

barry

You will get the lossy 5.1 tracks through the optical connection. Only HDMI will give you the lossless tracks that you were probably seeing with LPCM.
You can connect the optical out of the player to your avr and should get 2 channel SACD. Nothing better as that is per spec.
post #2310 of 3951 Old 01-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Is anybody outside of the US using this player to access Netflix, Amazon VOD, Pandora etc.?

We have our router set up with USVideo, and it works flawlessly for allowing access to these US services on our Mac, Apple TV, iPad, PS3 and Xbox.

But when we hook up the BDP-S570, it loads Internet video options from Australia only. I've done factory resets, firmware updates, checked all of the other gadgets hooked up to the router (all still perform just fine), but it's just the BDP-S570 that refuses to cooperate and load US service options.

USVideo is not technically a VPN service, but it works great and I can't see why it would work with all these other devices, including another Sony product, but not this player.

The player itself is a region modded BDP-S570/BM-U2 unit I picked up new off a reputable eBay seller.

I really want this to work, because I'd hoped for it to replace my old OPPO and the Apple TV for streaming Internet content and playing Blu-rays and DVDs.

Thoughts or experiences?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - S570 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page