AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by golffnutt View Post

Hi Guys,

Could anyone tell me how to tell what firmware version my 570 is in? Would really appreciate that info. Thank you so much and have a pleasant evening.

Go to settings system information. The currently installed firmware will be listed in the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2942 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 View Post

It could also be the display. If anything in the HDMI chain goes haywire, you can get the drop outs. Do you have any of the advanced HDMI settings on in the player (HDMI CEC, Deep Color, 3D)? You might try turning those off as well.

Turning off Deep Color fixed my drop out issue but for some doing this didn't help with their issue.
post #2943 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 04:57 PM

I have owned my 570 since Christmas and have been very happy with it although I basically just use it for DVDs and occasional Youtubes and streaming my music library from the computer.
I just bought a "new" Directors Cut of the movie Almost Famous. Although it will play the movie without a hitch I can't navigate back to the menu after starting the movie. I get the -This action is prohibited....blah blah blah- message. I have been getting the update message recently but haven't downloaded it because of reading some of the issues on here with the latest update. (When I purchased this origianally I had an update downloaded and had no problems) Since this is a new version of an old movie, does this sound like this is just another version of copy protection encryption problem?
post #2944 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post

Your TV won't automatically upconvert to 1080p? It should. Since you don't have 1080p source material, either the BD will upconvert or the TV will. If the BD's upconversion causes dropout, why not let the TV do it?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but any TV will display what you give it in the maximum resolution it can. If your your TV is 1080p, all input is shown in 1080p. If you have an option on your TV to show 1080p at 720p please tell us your make and model. There is no option on my TV to upconvert any input. My AVR can upconvert. My BR can upconvert. My DVR can upconvert. But no where can I control upconversion on my TV. I agree that a TV does not upconvert. I prefer to let my other stuff send 1080p and relegate my TV to the job of just showing a great display. Works out fine for me.

But I could be wrong.
post #2945 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

But I could be wrong.

You are. The TV will always display at its maximum resolution but not always will receive the signal (input) at the best one. It depends on how you setup the device feeding the display . If you set the device to output, say, 720P, the Tv wll show 720P as the input but will always upconvert it to its maximum resolution, like 1080i or 1080p. So, yes, the Tv also upconverts the signal when it is below its top resolution.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #2946 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

It's now available on line and through the S570. For $3.99 you get basic service. It's enabled under the XBAR for music and then new internet content. Like when Hulu Plus was added.
post #2947 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM

OK, what am I doing wrong? I have a fileshare set up on my Win7 PC, and I'm trying to play a movie (Batman Begins.mp4) from my Sony. I can connect to my PC, and I can see the fileshare and folder where the MP4 is located, but when I select that folder, the Sony says that there are no valid movie types. Or something along those lines. I double checked the specs, and it plays MPEG-4.

Anyone have a suggestion?

On the other side of the fence, I have streaming set up for WMP 12, but when I'm click on the little streaming icon to start sending to a device, it says there aren't any devices available. Do I have to somehow manually set up Win7 WMP 12 to recognize the Sony? When I browse the network, I can see the sony as being listed, but I can't do anything with it, other than look at the properties. Thanks.
post #2948 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3tripod View Post

OK, what am I doing wrong? I have a fileshare set up on my Win7 PC, and I'm trying to play a movie (Batman Begins.mp4) from my Sony. I can connect to my PC, and I can see the fileshare and folder where the MP4 is located, but when I select that folder, the Sony says that there are no valid movie types. Or something along those lines. I double checked the specs, and it plays MPEG-4.

On the other side of the fence, I have streaming set up for WMP 12, but when I'm click on the little streaming icon to start sending to a device, it says there aren't any devices available. Do I have to somehow manually set up Win7 WMP 12 to recognize the Sony? When I browse the network, I can see the sony as being listed, but I can't do anything with it, other than look at the properties. Thanks.

At the risk of being wrong twice in one night. I think you are missing the idea. The PC is a media server, so WMC is the server software and it must do the sharing. Lack of DVD/File playback may be a sharing/copy protection problem. I can't share the DVD on my laptop, nor can I rip a commerical DVD.

Rip an audio CD with WMP, then see if the Sony can play it. That should prove connectivity. My Win7 laptop is my "CD Server" and works fine. Both the laptop and the S570 are wireless also.

I assume you haven't disabled any WMI services. That would be bad.
post #2949 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:

From what posted by other owners, this player supports very limited video formats over streaming. MP4 is probably not supported over streaming, only on local USB storage that plugged into the player.

Quote:

This player is does not support such feature, unfortunately.

Quote:

At the risk of being wrong twice in one night. I think you are missing the idea. The PC is a media server, so WMC is the server software and it must do the sharing. Lack of DVD/File playback may be a sharing/copy protection problem. I can't share the DVD on my laptop, nor can I rip a commerical DVD.

Rip an audio CD with WMP, then see if the Sony can play it. That should prove connectivity. My Win7 laptop is my "CD Server" and works fine. Both the laptop and the S570 are wireless also.

I assume you haven't disabled any WMI services. That would be bad.

Man, you really don't know what you're talking about.
post #2950 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

From what posted by other owners, this player supports very limited video formats over streaming. MP4 is probably not supported over streaming, only on local USB storage that plugged into the player.

Man, you really don't know what you're talking about.

Guess not.
post #2951 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Why would you want to do that? I'm just extremely curious as to why you wouldn't watch the Blu-Ray?? I'm not trying to be sarcastic or a hater, but I just think if people would stick with Blu-ray or HD cable/Sat and leave the computer stuff alone you would be MUCH more satisfied.
post #2952 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh View Post

What brand of av receiver do you have? Mine's a Sony STR-DA3500ES. It's suppose to be a high end model from Sony. Go figure.

My receiver is a fairly inexpensive Onkyo TX-SR606. One that can convert analog S-VHS and composite to HDMI.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #2953 of 3947 Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please correct me if I am wrong, but any TV will display what you give it in the maximum resolution it can. If your your TV is 1080p, all input is shown in 1080p. If you have an option on your TV to show 1080p at 720p please tell us your make and model. There is no option on my TV to upconvert any input. My AVR can upconvert. My BR can upconvert. My DVR can upconvert. But no where can I control upconversion on my TV. I agree that a TV does not upconvert. I prefer to let my other stuff send 1080p and relegate my TV to the job of just showing a great display. Works out fine for me.

But I could be wrong.

I think my Samsung UN40C6300 tv will automatically convert whatever is coming in to 1080p/120hz. When I change sources with my receiver, the tv does show what the incoming source is, 720p, 1080/60i or 1080/24p. I have the 570 output set to Auto so DVDs output at 1080i and BDs (mostly) at 1080/24p. I have no desire to force a 1080/60i source to be downgraded to 1080/24p. We'd be missing frames, then.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #2954 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think my Samsung UN40C6300 tv will automatically convert whatever is coming in to 1080p/120hz. When I change sources with my receiver, the tv does show what the incoming source is, 720p, 1080/60i or 1080/24p. I have the 570 output set to Auto so DVDs output at 1080i and BDs (mostly) at 1080/24p. I have no desire to force a 1080/60i source to be downgraded to 1080/24p. We'd be missing frames, then.

I'll give your setting a try. I was at a fixed 1080p output. Honestly, I watch few movies. The price and audio capabilities sold me on this unit. Your logic sounds better. Thanks.
post #2955 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM

The 570 is having no problem seeing my laptop and has no problem seeing the "my videos" and "my pictures" folder.

However, it is only seeing avi video files and not mpeg.
This is WITHOUT WMP running.

I would think mpeg files should be seen by the 570.

Is there a setting I have to change somewhere?

P.S I also posted the "no thumbnails for my photos" entry as well.
Any help on that strange problem would be appreciated.
post #2956 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

That would explain why I was having such difficulty. I was able to play the MP4 via my thumbdrive without issue. So with respect to the player not supporting the WMP 'Play To' functionality, is there a viable alternative to streaming video from a media server to this Sony? I am so confused by all of this. In other parts of AVS, people love using WMP 12 for streaming...are there comparable free options?

To answer another guy's question: why don't just use the DVD/Blu Ray disc? It would be nice to have all of my movies ripped and stored on a single drive, as opposed to trying to store hundreds of cases, keep them organized, and keep the kids from destroying them. I have a backup of every DVD I own.
post #2957 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:

... with respect to the player not supporting the WMP 'Play To' functionality, is there a viable alternative to streaming video from a media server to this Sony? I am so confused by all of this.

DRM causes all kinds of weird functionality problems. The HW may be fully capable of playing a format, but playback is prohibited because of some paranoid fear of piracy. Not sure if that is the case here, but tasks which should be very simple often require jumping thru all kinds of hoops.

Case in point: over the holidays we were visiting the in-laws, and I wanted to play some music which is stored on my MP3 player, but I did not have any portable speakers. So I plugged the mp3 player into my laptop, thinking I could play the music using the laptop's built-in speakers (okay, not the best, but speakers nonetheless).

Surprise.... although I could see the mp3 files, I could not play them with any media player software. WMP offered only to "sync" with my player (whatever that means). However, it was easy to just copy all of the mp3's to the laptop hard drive and play them from there, then before we left I just deleted them.

This is somehow supposed to make our lives better?

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #2958 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 190
That has nothing to do with DRM at all. Sony is too lazy to implement certain DLNA's feature that allows the support 'Play To'. Hence you can't control that from the PC side.
post #2959 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

DRM has no part in DLNA? I did say "not sure if that is the case here".

Polk RtiA9's, Denon 3312ci & Emo XPA-5 amp, CsiA6, RtiA7 surrounds, FxiA6 rears, twin Klipsch Synergy Sub-12's, DSW660 & Lsi9's upstairs
post #2960 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLee View Post

DRM causes all kinds of weird functionality problems. The HW may be fully capable of playing a format, but playback is prohibited because of some paranoid fear of piracy. Not sure if that is the case here, but tasks which should be very simple often require jumping thru all kinds of hoops.

Case in point: over the holidays we were visiting the in-laws, and I wanted to play some music which is stored on my MP3 player, but I did not have any portable speakers. So I plugged the mp3 player into my laptop, thinking I could play the music using the laptop's built-in speakers (okay, not the best, but speakers nonetheless).

Surprise.... although I could see the mp3 files, I could not play them with any media player software. WMP offered only to "sync" with my player (whatever that means). However, it was easy to just copy all of the mp3's to the laptop hard drive and play them from there, then before we left I just deleted them.

This is somehow supposed to make our lives better?

I didn't think MP3s had any DRM associated with them. I've never had any issue with moving MP3s around and playing them.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #2961 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've never had any issue with moving MP3s around and playing them.

Exactly... I had no problem at all moving them around and playing them.
The only problem was trying to play them across a piece of wire.

post #2962 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Perhaps this has already been discussed here but I suggest checking out a piece of software called PS3 Media Server for those frustrated by the S570's limited native DNLA file support. As the name suggests, the software was originally for the PS3 but it's since been extended to support other devices including the S570. The beauty of this software is that it transcodes on-the-fly media files that aren't supported by a player into a format that the player does support. There is no need to transcode in advance and take time and hard drive space with the newly created transcode; all this is done while the file is being played.

The software is still a bit technical and jargon-y but it works quite well. Here's a link to a thread in the section of the official forums that covers non-PS3 devices aka alternative media renderers:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

The last stable build is hosted and available through Google:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

The official release is a little old - a new stable build is expected shortly - so I recommend trying one of the off-shoot beta builds that incorporate a number of improvements introduced since the last stable release. Those betas are available here:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=14
post #2963 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I tried PS3 Media Server, Twonky, Windows 7, Vista and XP. Nothing makes my 570 play any video but the plain vanilla MPEG2 in SD only. The player finds the file but always fail to play it back. I was never able to play mkv, m2ts,mov, for example. I like the 570 but as a media player it sucks big time.

Standard Definition Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema, And May Complicate Pregnancy
post #2964 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post

I tried PS3 Media Server, Twonky, Windows 7, Vista and XP. Nothing makes my 570 play any video but the plain vanilla MPEG2 in SD only. The player finds the file but always fail to play it back. I was never able to play mkv, m2ts,mov, for example. I like the 570 but as a media player it sucks big time.

Well, it's not surprising that Twonky and the built-in Windows media software didn't work because they simply manage and stream files to a DNLA device and rely on the DNLA device to support and recognize those file types.

Others in the PS3 Media Server forums have reported success with the S570. There's a huge thread there devoted to all Sony SX70 models:

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...p=38045#p38045

You may have to play around with the config file or try a different beta build (some beta builds are more compatible with certain devices). Wish it were a bit more non-techie friendly but you should be able play all those media types through the S570 using PS3 Media Server.
post #2965 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Peterlee. I didn't apply the patch on the PS3MS. I will try this evening.

post #2966 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Unless they have fixed the patch, and you have to recompile, once patched IF you have a PS3 it wasn't working with the PS3.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #2967 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 04:18 PM

Yeah, all that PS3 media server code and Serviio code stuff makes my head hurt. I just want to double-click, next, next, next, finish- and be able to stream media from a server through the S570 and call it a day. I think I'll be fine just hooking up an external HD to the USB port and play them that way. that's about my speed these days
post #2968 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 View Post
Turning off Deep Color fixed my drop out issue but for some doing this didn't help with their issue.
Some suggest to change the setting on the player so that you DO NOT ALLOW it to connect to the internet. I connect wirelessly via my home network. This might help with the drop outs. Personally, I have not tried it.

Maybe I'm stubborn, but I just don't see the point in disabling the internet and changing the HDMI setting to OFF if everything was fine before. Allowing the player to connect to the internet is a factory default setting anyways. The manual suggests that you normally select AUTO for HDMI Deep Color output. My tv supports Deep Color. It further says that if picture is unstable or colors appear unnatural to select OFF. My blu ray collection looks awesome on my Samsung! DVD's look amazing too. Picture/sound quality never changed since the last two firmware upgrades. It's the freaking drop outs that get on my nerves.

I watched "Unstoppable" yesterday and did not experience a single drop out. Another member of Bluray.com forums says the time bar on this movie kept popping up during playback.
post #2969 of 3947 Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 PM

Does anyone know how to tell if streaming from netflix or Amazon VOD is HD on the s570? I also have the Panasonic DMP-BD85 and it tells me when I'm streaming in HD. I don't see any such indication on the s570. Am I just supposed to assume that if the PQ looks decent than it must be HD? I just rented "Unstoppable" in HD from Amazon VOD and it looked good from both players, but I received no indication on the s570 that I was streaming in HD. On the BD85 I did.

BTW, both players are wired to my network. I have excellent bandwith with TWC, so both players should be able to stream HD fine. On my laptop I get over 14 Mbps via g wireless.
post #2970 of 3947 Old 02-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Wow! This isn't even a Blu-Ray player anymore from the looks of this thread. Lol.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Sony Bdp S570 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Blu Ray Players , Sony Bdp S370 Blu Ray Disc Player , Sony Bdp N460 Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page