Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3241 Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
can anyone with the panasonic 85 and also the first alien(9 disc set) disc play it on the panasonic. the DTS on both the directors cut and theatre version.
I had some problems playing it on the panasonic 80. I remember that the 65 would play it, but without sound. I am wondering what it does with the 85?

thanks
Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a Panny TCP58V10, which has vieracast, would getting the 85 be overkill since it has vieracast also?
post #273 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still curious as to what music channels (apps) this player has?

I know Pandora is slated for later but are there any others currently on the 65/85?

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #274 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaris View Post

I just bought a Panny TCP58V10, which has vieracast, would getting the 85 be overkill since it has vieracast also?

I have the 58V10 also. Yeah, it's redundant but that's going to be the way it is with many players now. You can find some other players with different apps if that's want you want to do. I was just looking for the best bang for the buck with audio outs and a USB connection for a thumb drive. Since Pandora won't be added til later I just use the TV for it until it is added.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Carver Amazing Originals/ Carver Amazing Silvers
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Projector: BenQ W1070
Some audio history:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=222FF...3449%21138&v=3
post #275 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

I'm still curious as to what music channels (apps) this player has?

I know Pandora is slated for later but are there any others currently on the 65/85?

Pandora will be the only music app that I know of. Doubt Panasonic will add a second music app.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Some audio history:
post #276 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybaris View Post

If you want Netflix streaming, get the BD85 (V10 won't be getting that). The BD85 also has more advanced upconversion processing which is better than the upconversion in the BD45 or BD65, and it also has WiFi, which you also can't get in the V10.

The BD45 and BD65 have the same upconversion processor as the BD60/BD80. The BD85 has an improvement to the chroma processor. In a nutshell, it does deinterlacing first, before doing chroma upsampling, which gives it better precision and more chroma data when upconverting the chroma information to 4:4:4. This improves the picture in both SD DVDs and on 1080i Blu-ray discs, but the improvement is most beneficial on a 4:4:4 compatible display (like yours).

The BD85 is a good match for your TV (I have them both at the moment).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #277 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Another person here trying to decide between 85 and the Sony 570. Much easier than deciding which plasma to buy these days....

Has any consensus on the pros and cons of the two been reached? Does the 570 upscale netflix to 1080p?

Also: newbie question: I have an Onkyo SR707 AVR, so is there any benefit for me to having the 7.1 analog outs on the 85?
post #278 of 3241 Old 04-14-2010, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGuySansTV View Post

Another person here trying to decide between 85 and the Sony 570. Much easier than deciding which plasma to buy these days....

Has any consensus on the pros and cons of the two been reached? Does the 570 upscale netflix to 1080p?

Also: newbie question: I have an Onkyo SR707 AVR, so is there any benefit for me to having the 7.1 analog outs on the 85?

The analog outs won't be of any benefit since your receiver has HDMI inputs. I'd just look in the 570 thread and weigh the differences in each player. Not currently a Netfix member but maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Denon AVR-4520CI
Some audio history:
post #279 of 3241 Old 04-15-2010, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGuySansTV View Post

Ditto on that , however Iam still on a non HDMI receiver so its a major plus and possible selling point for me atm . But I too am still on the fence between the two even after reading all of both threads ; that and my current Sony S-350 has been flawless since day one . Oh the irony ....

I miss my old Altec 1590 monoblocks ....
post #280 of 3241 Old 04-15-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I have the 58V10 also. Yeah, it's redundant but that's going to be the way it is with many players now. You can find some other players with different apps if that's want you want to do. I was just looking for the best bang for the buck with audio outs and a USB connection for a thumb drive. Since Pandora won't be added til later I just use the TV for it until it is added.

I like the idea of having Pandora in the player more than in the TV. Yeah, you can obviously hook up your TV to your system using the fiberoptic or analog outputs to get sound through your audio system, but then you still need to have the TV on just to listen to your Pandora stations. Yes, it's nice to see the album art and have the voting options on-screen but who wants to have to have their TV on just to listen to music?

Once it's available in the player, you can just turn the player on, tune into Pandora and shut off the TV while still listening to the music.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #281 of 3241 Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Video side hardware will be identical. The only difference will be no DIVX playback on BD-65 which is simply a software trick to force you to pay more (EU models of BD65 supports DIVX) to get BD85.

Actually, that's not true this year. The BD85 gets an upgraded chroma processor they're calling the "Motion Adaptive Chroma Upsampler" which the BD45 and BD65 do not have. The BD45 and BD65 have the same video processor from the BD60/BD80. The BD85 (in addition to WiFi dongle, audio enhancements and multi-channel analog output) gets this more advanced chroma upsampling processor, which improves DVD upconversion and Blu-ray playback. Basically, it's de-interlacing the DVD signal before doing the chroma upsampling which should give it more real color precision when upsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 to 4:4:4.

Apparently the BDT300 and BDT350 will have (do have) an even more advanced upconversion engine which is a side benefit to the higher power processor required for the Blu-ray 3D MVC (Multiview Video Coding) codec. Panasonic engineers are calling this a "Super Resolution Processor." I can't tell just how "super" it is though, as we don't have one of those players in for testing yet.

The BD85 looks pretty impressive on the S&M Chroma Zone tests, though. You can switch the chroma processing in the menu between "Advanced" which is the default, "Normal" which reverts back to the 2009 processor (BD60/BD80 equivalent) and "Off" which reverts to simple two-tap interpolation.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #282 of 3241 Old 04-15-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 View Post

Actually, that's not true this year. The BD85 gets an upgraded chroma processor they're calling the "Motion Adaptive Chroma Upsampler" which the BD45 and BD65 do not have. The BD45 and BD65 have the same video processor from the BD60/BD80. The BD85 (in addition to WiFi dongle, audio enhancements and multi-channel analog output) gets this more advanced chroma upsampling processor, which improves DVD upconversion and Blu-ray playback. Basically, it's de-interlacing the DVD signal before doing the chroma upsampling which should give it more real color precision when upsampling from 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 to 4:4:4.

Apparently the BDT300 and BDT350 will have (do have) an even more advanced upconversion engine which is a side benefit to the higher power processor required for the Blu-ray 3D MVC (Multiview Video Coding) codec. Panasonic engineers are calling this a "Super Resolution Processor." I can't tell just how "super" it is though, as we don't have one of those players in for testing yet.

The BD85 looks pretty impressive on the S&M Chroma Zone tests, though. You can switch the chroma processing in the menu between "Advanced" which is the default, "Normal" which reverts back to the 2009 processor (BD60/BD80 equivalent) and "Off" which reverts to simple two-tap interpolation.

-CB

Interesting, some people on this forum are reporting that the DVD upconversion on the BD65 is superior to the BD60/BD80. The Panasonic site seems to imply that the "Adaptive High Precision 4:4:4" feature of the BD85 improves 1080p and 1080i material, it doesn't say anything about it helping DVD upconversion. But the technical details on the site are very sketchy, so that doesn't mean much.

It sounds like you have some first hand experience here, have you been able to see them side by side? I'm trying to decide between the BD65 or the BD85 and DVD/Netflix upconversion quality is important to me. If the BD85 is superior that makes the choice simple.
post #283 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atownpimpn View Post

Also Beastus, just a quick question...

When you put the AVCHD video on the 16GB SDHC card where it you put the file?!?! Was is an .mts or .m2ts?!?! When I was doing some testing I found that if I put the AVCHD video (.mts or .m2ts) in the root directory (i.e. X:\\) it would not read it, and say that there is no compatible media on the SD card. But, it I put that AVCHD video into the silly sub folders that it likes, it would work. So, here is the folder path that I found to work.

X:\\PRIVATE\\AVCHD\\BDMV\\STREAM\\

Where X: is the drive letter of you SD card.

Hope that helps...

All the best...

Thanks. I don't quite remember, but I do think i just put the .m2ts file in the root directory. I will give this a try during the weekend, FAT32 and exFAT formatted.
post #284 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 07:09 AM

I have a DSL connection, with a wireless router. My DSL speed is only 1.5, will this speed be sufficient for Netflix streaming?

Also, is there an on-line manual? Couldn't find it on the Panasonic site.

Thanks,
Tony
post #285 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPotato View Post

Interesting, some people on this forum are reporting that the DVD upconversion on the BD65 is superior to the BD60/BD80.

The power supply and some other internal components are improved on the BD65 vs. last year's models, but not the video processor.

Quote:

The Panasonic site seems to imply that the "Adaptive High Precision 4:4:4" feature of the BD85 improves 1080p and 1080i material, it doesn't say anything about it helping DVD upconversion. But the technical details on the site are very sketchy, so that doesn't mean much.

The improvements in the UniPhier processor in the BD85 are two-fold: "Motion Adaptive Chroma Upsampling" - this works by doing the MPEG decoding, then the I/P conversion (at 8 bits) then the chroma upsampling 4:2:0 to 4:2:2 to 4:4:4. In the BD60/BD80 and the BD65, the initial stage of chroma upsampling is done before the de-interlacing which loses precision. The other improvement is "Edge Adaptive High Precision 4:4:4" which adjusts the chroma upconversion filter based on the specific content. Technically SD and HD content can both be improved via this processing.

Quote:

It sounds like you have some first hand experience here, have you been able to see them side by side? I'm trying to decide between the BD65 or the BD85 and DVD/Netflix upconversion quality is important to me. If the BD85 is superior that makes the choice simple.

I've yet to see big differences in Netflix picture quality as the vendors can't get as much access to the Netflix blackbox processing as they can with standard MPEG-encoding on DVD. The Netflix HD signal on the BD85 looks about as good as we've seen on any Netflix HD-enabled device, which is to say it varies quite a bit depending on available bandwidth, and even at its best it doesn't hold a candle to Blu-ray. I haven't compared a BD85 directly to a BD65, but we do still have a BD70V on hand so I can do some comparison there and will include that in my review (hope to have it finished by the end of next week).

BTW, this information comes directly from a Panasonic engineer in Japan. Actually the guy who designed it, so it should be accurate.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #286 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 11:32 AM

I am so frustrated.

I purchased the DMP-BD85P-K to replace my DMP-BD80 in the living room. The reason - to take advantage of the wireless capability.

I moved the DMP-BD80 to the bedroom and all is fine there.

First, the DMP-BD85P-K works fine overall execpt I can no longer get to the Viera screen.

I have the Panasonic 50" Plasma TH-50PZ85U.

When I was hooked up to the BD80, I could get to the Viera screen no problem.

Now, the BD85K-P connects to my SSID/Open Key wirelessly and the screens from the BD85K-P say so. But, when I push the Viera button on either the TV's remote or the BD-85P-K remote, I get "no connection".

I called Panasonic. They said check with Time Warner because it's probably an access issue on their side. I called Time Warner, they checked my connections and found no problems. I called Panasonic back, they keep referring me to Time Warner. Time Warner keeps referring me to Panasonic.

I'm thinking of calling relatives in New Jersey to pay someone a visit.

Is there some setup I'm missing since the transition to wireless because everything indicates I'm connected and good to go. I did the last firmware update wirelessly - no problem. I downloaded the latest Neil Young blu-ray archive item (yes, I own the NY archives box set in blue-ray). I can connect to BD Live.

Help?!

Your posts are very welcome and thank you for any advice.
post #287 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrownlie View Post

Is there some setup I'm missing since the transition to wireless because everything indicates I'm connected and good to go.

It's just a guess, but perhaps the vieracast in the BD85 uses some different ports that are currently blocked by a firewall in your modem or router. Since you were able to get the firmware and are able to use BDlive content you are clearly connected to your WLAN correctly. With that done, the problem is likely something between your WLAN and the vieracast servers, either due to port access problems or Time Warner somehow blocking the Vierracast connection.

Again, this is just speculation based on your post , but it sure sounds like you have the BD85 setup correctly. Good luck getting this resolved -- it sounds very frustrating!
post #288 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 06:18 PM

An observation:

I have ATT 6MBPS down with a wireless router and I have found I get a more reliable and faster VOD speed from powerline adapters, vs the wireless dongle. I have Netgear XE 104's (85mbps 4 port) behind my liv room tv and bedroom tv for dvr's and BR players. I started using the wireless dong first, but found streaming held better with the powerlines.
post #289 of 3241 Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM

Picked up the bd85k today at Sears (of all places). They were the only store around that had it in stock. The salesperson was very helpful and found a discount/competitive price for me - saved 20%!

Needed this BD player for the analog outputs - receiver can't decode HD audio, and doesn't pick up on the digital signal. Analog seems to work, but the sub channel is a bit quiet.

Can't get the network - weather widget to let me change locations. Have a panny plasma, and it works fine - can't toggle to the 'change' side of the screen. wierd.

we'll see how it goes from here.
post #290 of 3241 Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Can anybody tell me where I can get a great price on this player?

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #291 of 3241 Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 AM

Amazon always works for me.
post #292 of 3241 Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrownlie View Post

I am so frustrated.

Now, the BD85K-P connects to my SSID/Open Key wirelessly and the screens from the BD85K-P say so. But, when I push the Viera button on either the TV's remote or the BD-85P-K remote, I get "no connection".

Your posts are very welcome and thank you for any advice.

I received my unit yesterday. I also get the "no connection" on the 1st try, but always connects on the 2nd try

Tony
post #293 of 3241 Old 04-18-2010, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony57 View Post

I received my unit yesterday. I also get the "no connection" on the 1st try, but always connects on the 2nd try

Tony

Today i tried getting on the network 8,or more times to no avail. I then did network test, all passed. Tried it again connected first time. Maybe some corellation, dont know.?
post #294 of 3241 Old 04-19-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

Today i tried getting on the network 8,or more times to no avail. I then did network test, all passed. Tried it again connected first time. Maybe some corellation, dont know.?

Instead of immediately trying to enter the Network after turning on the BD85, I now wait about a minute and I can connect on the 1st try. (The BD85 need a 'connection' status under the Network selection on the screen. No way to tell it the unit is connected to the internet)

Tony
post #295 of 3241 Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 AM

Im I expecting to much from this player the up-conversion is very grainy compared to my oppo 970.The blu-ray looks good but not a whole lot better than the up-converted 970.Is it because my TV is only 720P(panny 50PX75)I have played with it for 2 days now no luck clearing it up.Should I just return it and wait till I get a 1080P set?
post #296 of 3241 Old 04-19-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony57 View Post

Instead of immediately trying to enter the Network after turning on the BD85, I now wait about a minute and I can connect on the 1st try. (The BD85 need a 'connection' status under the Network selection on the screen. No way to tell it the unit is connected to the internet)

Tony

I"ll try this, it sounds like it might work. Makes perfect sense. Thanks
post #297 of 3241 Old 04-19-2010, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMULA11 View Post

Im I expecting to much from this player the up-conversion is very grainy compared to my oppo 970.The blu-ray looks good but not a whole lot better than the up-converted 970.Is it because my TV is only 720P(panny 50PX75)I have played with it for 2 days now no luck clearing it up.Should I just return it and wait till I get a 1080P set?

To me 50" is where i start to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.
Not much but a little. Under 50" forget it, i cant tell.
post #298 of 3241 Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 PM

there is a big difference between the two players on SD disks Transformers in SD on the oppo 970 is clear,on the panny 85 really grainy
post #299 of 3241 Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 PM

Can this BD85 read a dual layer DVD+R AVCHD disc? I convert blu-ray discs with BDREBUILDER to fit on a DVD+R Dual Layer disc. I own a BD35 but looking for a upgrade to do live streaming from Netflix. I wanna use a second blu-ray player in my bedroom and be able to use Netflix and to view DVD+R Dual Layer AVCHD discs. I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks in advance.
post #300 of 3241 Old 04-20-2010, 10:43 AM

Anyone who has actually owned both care to comment on the PQ differences in the 85 and 65? I know there is supposed to be enhanced electronics there, but I wonder if it is worth the price, given that I won't use the analog outs or the wireless on the 85. Sony 470 is also in the running still, but seems like many people have netflix issues with it.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page