Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3231 Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^ Similar situation here, although I still regularly use the 85 to watch Netflix content. I much prefer the interface on the 85 to the HTPC...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3231 Old 06-02-2013, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got my BD85 about 18 months ago (after much research here) and only used it with discs up to now. I love the player and it has worked great with physical media. It also provides great audio options (optical), since my 7 yr old Rotel receiver only supports hdmi 1.1

I decided to try Netflix streaming service and noticed that PQ and SQ are not HD. Netflix support says the 85 only supports 720 via streaming and will not provide 5.1 audio.

If this is true, what player is the best replacement for my 85? (and will also offer me the audio options that will work with my receiver)?
post #3213 of 3231 Old 06-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Hey everyone,
Haven't checked in for a while. I have the original BD-85, I haven't updated the firmware in ages. It seems like you never know if new firmware is going to be good or bad. One of my players (an LG) had DVD playback ruined by an update. So... just wanted to ask, any negatives to bringing my BD-85 up to current firmware, or should I just leave well enough alone?
Thanks!
post #3214 of 3231 Old 06-30-2013, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I personally haven't had any problems updating FW via the internet. It's been awhile, but I believe I've done it twice now for my BD85. Also no problems doing FW updates for my Panny G20 plasma via internet although I've read a few posts about people having update issues with their plasmas.

I usually check to make sure my internet connection is working before attempting an update (although I suspect the FW updater already checks for connectivity health before starting). Easy way to do this is to fire up the Vieracast apps. Try not to do it when there's a possibility of disruptions from lightening storms, high winds, etc. Make sure your ethernet cable is seated firmly as well - the BD85 can also check for proper network connectivity in the Network settings menu,

It's possible to download the FW to update via manual download, but I've never done it that way.
The Drizzle likes this.
post #3215 of 3231 Old 08-11-2013, 03:26 AM

My player has been a little troublesome of late. It plays CDs and DVDs great, but it has some issues with reading Blu-rays. Sometimes I get an "can not read disc" error. Usually I try a few more times before it reads the disc, and there's no playback issues at all as long as the disc starts up.

This time I had to give up on one disc, as it would not read it at all. It's not a disc issue since it started up normally on my region B player (although it would not go through cause of region mismatch). Found myself another movie which started up after a few tries.

Should I just start to look for a new player? Cleaning disc did not help
post #3216 of 3231 Old 08-11-2013, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastus View Post

My player has been a little troublesome of late. It plays CDs and DVDs great, but it has some issues with reading Blu-rays. Sometimes I get an "can not read disc" error. Usually I try a few more times before it reads the disc, and there's no playback issues at all as long as the disc starts up.

This time I had to give up on one disc, as it would not read it at all. It's not a disc issue since it started up normally on my region B player (although it would not go through cause of region mismatch). Found myself another movie which started up after a few tries.

Should I just start to look for a new player? Cleaning disc did not help

Try a lens cleaner for the drive.
post #3217 of 3231 Old 09-21-2013, 07:46 PM

Greetings,

I have a Panasonic DMP-BD85 that was working just fine until the tech support at Panasonic sent me the latest firmware upgrade on a disk. I followed the instructions provided, but never got to the point were the lcd screen said FINISHED. My DMP-BD85 seems to be stuck in some sort of firmware infinite loop that I can't get out of.

Any suggestions how to get out of this fix?

Thanks,

Jeff Waymack
post #3218 of 3231 Old 10-28-2013, 05:20 PM

I have an annoying problem that I am trying to diagnose. I have a Panny DMP-BD85 connected to a Yamaha RX-V667 7.1-Channel via HDMI. Every once in a while, it appears that the handshake is broken between the two units, resulting in either video or video and audio loss. After a little bit (10-15 minutes), the handshake seems to re-establish itself and things work well for a random period of time.

I've tried changing ports on the RX-V667 and I've replaced cables with no change in behavior. I'm not sure if I should be looking at a new BD player or receiver at this point. Suggestions?
post #3219 of 3231 Old 10-28-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Turn Deep Color off and see if that helps.
post #3220 of 3231 Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Turn Deep Color off and see if that helps.

Thank you for the suggestion, I've changed the setting and will see if that helps. I am curious, how could such a setting mess up comm between the receiver and the blu ray? Does deep color require the transmission of more information?
post #3221 of 3231 Old 10-29-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Deep Color does require more bandwidth yet most sets can't do anything with the extra bits that are sent. My problem came with a panny 210 and 3D when I found out about the issues with Deep Color.
post #3222 of 3231 Old 10-29-2013, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Anyone else having issues with the player reading discs? I keep getting a message that says (paraphrasing) "The disc could not be read. Check disc and try again." I'm usually able to get it to eventually play by ejecting the disc once or twice and letting it load up again, but this has been happening a lot lately with a variety of different discs. Anyone have a solution? (The firmware is up-to-date, by the way.)

post #3223 of 3231 Old 10-30-2013, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Try a lens cleaner for the laser.
post #3224 of 3231 Old 11-18-2013, 09:32 PM

Officialy Dmp-bd85k supports xvYCC colour (x.v. Colour.)
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMP-BD85K?t=specs&support#tabs

With the release of the new Sony mastered in 4k blu-rays using xvYCC colour and have a samsung plasma did it work? Samsung states all tv after 2007 support x.v colour.Mine is 2010 but it seems it does not ,when used with a pana DMP -Bd85k.

Toshiba 3200ky and panasonic plasma work fine (displays x.v. Colour.) when settings correct in player.
post #3225 of 3231 Old 12-02-2013, 10:36 PM

I can't seem to get sound when using the BD85's analogue outs to my Yamaha RX-V757 receiver.

I haven't used this player with this receiver for about 2 years but I'm certain I was able to listen to BluRays lossless audio with this configuration.

Am I setting it up wrong? The cables are properly connected, but there is no audio on any title I try.

The Audio section on the BD85 settings I have:

Dynamic Range Compression: Off
Digital Audio Output:
DD/DD+/DTHD: PCM
DTS/DTSHD: PCM

Secondary: OFF

PCM Downconversion: Off
Downmix: Stereo
7.1ch Audio Reformatting: Auto
HCS: Enable
Audio Delay: 0ms

I have tried changing everything from one choice to another to no avail.

Any ideas?

In the TV/Device Connection settings I have HDMI connection audio set to off and Analog Audio Output set to 7.1

I am using a 5.0 speaker set up and have the Yamaha set to Multi-Channel as it should be.

At a total loss. Any help greatly appreciated.
post #3226 of 3231 Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM

I am thinking seriously of getting a used BD85, but have one question for any owners:

Can anyone here confirm that one can set up the 85 to output audio signal through the HDMI
AND output the video signal through component? OR Can the 85 simultaneously output
video through HDMI and component ?

One other question: Any advantage of the BDT300/350 over the BD85 (besides 2 HDMI
ports on 300/350)? All three players were released by Panasonic around the same time in 2010.

Cheers.
post #3227 of 3231 Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonDrake View Post

I am thinking seriously of getting a used BD85, but have one question for any owners:

Can anyone here confirm that one can set up the 85 to output audio signal through the HDMI
AND output the video signal through component? OR Can the 85 simultaneously output
video through HDMI and component ?

One other question: Any advantage of the BDT300/350 over the BD85 (besides 2 HDMI
ports on 300/350)? All three players were released by Panasonic around the same time in 2010.

Cheers.

The BT300/350 were a later model year I believe. (one year)

About audio, not sure, on my other player all outputs are simultaneously active so it probably can, but I can't really test that for you as my BD-85 has been demoted to bedroom duty.
post #3228 of 3231 Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I was trying to watch a Blu the other day, and it started skipping and freezing in some scenes. I just bought the movie too, so the data side of the disc is pristine. I tried playing the same scene on the BDT210 in the other room, and it played just fine on that player. So is this just a sign that this player is too old and needs to go?

post #3229 of 3231 Old 05-02-2014, 03:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post

I was trying to watch a Blu the other day, and it started skipping and freezing in some scenes. I just bought the movie too, so the data side of the disc is pristine. I tried playing the same scene on the BDT210 in the other room, and it played just fine on that player. So is this just a sign that this player is too old and needs to go?

I have had that happen to me on about 1 out of every 25 discs on average since day one. When it happens, I will play it on my PS3 (80g fat model) and it has always been able to play any disc flawlessly that the Panasonic has had trouble with.

Not saying that there isn't anything wrong with your player, but my experience is that mine is definitely more finicky with some discs than my PS3 is.

Two discs in my collection that always gave it fits are Alien & Aliens. It's about a 50/50 shot as to whether the Panny will even be able to get to the main menu screen on both of these movies. PS3 works every time.
post #3230 of 3231 Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I had that with either this BDP or the other one I have. It might actually be the other one.

But anywho, an upgraded firmware proved to be the solution for that disc to play. smile.gif
post #3231 of 3231 Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Interesting problem between older BD and newer Plasma

Hello all,
Last week our old JVC 61 RPTV finally went south(after eight years) and so we replaced it, temporally, with
a Panasonic 50" that was still in the box for a downstairs bedroom.
When I hooked my Panasonic BD85 to the new tv, I noticed, especially for the first third of most any blu-ray movie, flashing horizontal lines of varying thickness during playback.
Before I started playing with cables, I changed the settings on the 85 to output in 24 film mode and last night we watched a movie without the lines, but now there is some freezing happening, with the lines returning for just a few minutes after getting unstuck.
I know my cables are not high speed, and we never had this problem with the JVC, so it's something happening between the old player and the new tv.
Any thoughts as to what direction I should head in?
Thanks for any help,
Jack

INSANITY: Doing the same thing again and
again and expecting different results each time. (AE)
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page