Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 109 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #3241 of 3252 Old 11-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryd View Post
Usually it does stream better in the day. Before I blame my ISP I should point out that I have no trouble streaming HD content from other media services and I can do this right after I have a buffering issue with Netflix. I streamed in HD last night from Netflix so maybe the problem will go away for a while until the Netflix servers get overloaded again. Thanks for your response!
If I rememeber correctly thats how it was for me too. Netflix and Hulu were the first to act up. Then others like Vudu, Amazon follow later. My problem ISP was Centurylink (formerly Qwest) and now it is Comcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3252 Old 12-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
panasonic BD 85 question

Is there any way to turn the TV off while you listen to the blue ray player using it just for music? The TV and player are tied together somehow (is this because of the HDMI connection?) so that turning the TV off also turns the BD 85 off. One common scenario for me is listening to Pandora...but once I've used the TV as my monitor and got the Pandora station set up and running, I would like to turn off the TV and just listen without the visual distraction of the Pandora screen saver.
post #3243 of 3252 Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiedave View Post
Is there any way to turn the TV off while you listen to the blue ray player using it just for music? The TV and player are tied together somehow (is this because of the HDMI connection?) so that turning the TV off also turns the BD 85 off. One common scenario for me is listening to Pandora...but once I've used the TV as my monitor and got the Pandora station set up and running, I would like to turn off the TV and just listen without the visual distraction of the Pandora screen saver.
Is your TV also Panasonic ? If so do you have Viera Link enabled between the tv and player ? There is a viera link option that shuts off the connected device automaticaly. You can try disabling that.
post #3244 of 3252 Old 12-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My TV is a big Sony....I get the menu off of the Panasonic that I thought was a Viera Link...I'll look into it. Thanks.
post #3245 of 3252 Old 01-23-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Anyone here have the new DMP-BDT360? Wondering if there is any reason to upgrade from my 85. I can say that the 360 feels like a toy next to the 85 and has only HDMI and optical, no legacy connections at all. It doesn't have the steel case that the 85 has but from a PQ or feature standpoint I'm wondering if it is any better.
post #3246 of 3252 Old 01-23-2015, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
Anyone here have the new DMP-BDT360? Wondering if there is any reason to upgrade from my 85. I can say that the 360 feels like a toy next to the 85 and has only HDMI and optical, no legacy connections at all. It doesn't have the steel case that the 85 has but from a PQ or feature standpoint I'm wondering if it is any better.
I have both of the devices you mention and agree with your assessment. I haven't noticed any material differences in PQ, but the 85 has Amazon - 360 doesn't. And the 360 has advertising on the bottom of some of the menus, which is really weird. Here's the thread on the 360: Panasonic DMP-BD91/BDT260/360/460 Owner's Thread
post #3247 of 3252 Old 01-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
I have both of the devices you mention and agree with your assessment. I haven't noticed any material differences in PQ, but the 85 has Amazon - 360 doesn't. And the 360 has advertising on the bottom of some of the menus, which is really weird. Here's the thread on the 360: Panasonic DMP-BD91/BDT260/360/460 Owner's Thread
Just thought I'd add, I know someone with this unit... it has Amazon.
post #3248 of 3252 Old 01-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
Thanks for the info. Where did you send your player to get repaired? Did it cost you less than buying a new player would have?
Sorry for the LONG delay getting back to you... I had an accident & was down for a while... Anyways, I had purchased a 4 year warranty on line from Mack Camera & Video Service. I t only cost about $30 at the time when the player was new but boy was it worth it! I'm not really sure if it is cost effective or not in replacing this assembly since I didn't pay any additional costs for the warranty service but here is their toll free phone number so you can call & find out. 800-252-6225

Web site: www.mackcam.com

FYI: They did try to talk me into taking a newer model in exchange instead of a repair but I really love the BD-85 for several reasons. They did a GREAT repair job & I'm glad I still have a perfect working unit once again! The model they offered me actually cost about 1/2 the cost as the retail price of the BD-85 with way less features which I did think was quite amusing at the time.

Last edited by mgh26; 01-25-2015 at 12:18 PM. Reason: added web site info
post #3249 of 3252 Old 01-30-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdbrown View Post
Just thought I'd add, I know someone with this unit... it has Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HofstraJet View Post
I went ahead and purchased a 360 and really, build quality aside it is a better unit than my beloved 85. It is faster, PQ is at least as good and it has Amazon and a host of other apps that can be added. Yes, it has advertising but I only see it when I'm looking for apps. It streams great for me. Since I don't need the legacy connections it works fine for me, looks like my 85 will end up at my Mother-in-laws house. I will say that if you have kids or, for some other reason, your blu-ray might be subject to less than optimal treatment the 360 is very lightly built and would not work well in such an environment - otherwise it's an excellent unit.
post #3250 of 3252 Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 PM

Does the BD-85 stream 24p content from Netflix in 24p properly ? It looks like it outputs 24p for discs properly but not for streaming content. There are some test clips on netlflix called "example short" that are avalable in different frame rates and resolution and when I play the ones that are 24fps the player always outputs 60p on hdmi. It is connected to my avr and the avr can show what is the frame rate.
So is it true that this player cannot output 24p for streaming or from netflix at least ? or am I missing anything in the setup ?
Please advise.
Thanks.
post #3251 of 3252 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PCM or Bitstream

I am trying to get my new Pioneer AVR SC81 set up for best audio from a Panasonic BD85 BluRay and am connected via HDMI. I initially used Bitstream because I assumed the Pioneer would have the best decoders. However yesterday I switched to PCM. I have been using a Master and Commander DVD (first battle) to test out system balance for effects. When I switched to PCM with DTS the immersion was downright scary, I would have expected small children to be running from the room. Dolby Digital was good too but DTS had more punch, perhaps too much but I preferred it. When I had run this on Bitstream the effect was much less inspiring and I don't understand why.

I am wondering what everyone else is using. I could go with analog direct too. Haven't tried it yet but I have the cables. It is just that there are so many setting in the BD85 and it takes a lot of testing to figure out what they all do.

The BD85 is an old player. So I would be surprised if it would do a better job of decoding, unless I still haven't figured out the proper settings for the bitstream out. I am also not sure the BD85 will decode the latest formats properly.

What settings have you guys found that give the best surround results? Any comments are welcome. I asked on the Pioneer Elite forum but got no input.

Thanks

Pioneer SC-81
BluRay Panasonic BD85
Optoma projector & Seiki TV
7.1 - Klipsch KG5.2, center, bookshelf SB, Acoustech sides
JBL E250P Subwoofer
post #3252 of 3252 Unread Today, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneT View Post
PCM or Bitstream

I am trying to get my new Pioneer AVR SC81 set up for best audio from a Panasonic BD85 BluRay and am connected via HDMI. I initially used Bitstream because I assumed the Pioneer would have the best decoders. However yesterday I switched to PCM. I have been using a Master and Commander DVD (first battle) to test out system balance for effects. When I switched to PCM with DTS the immersion was downright scary, I would have expected small children to be running from the room. Dolby Digital was good too but DTS had more punch, perhaps too much but I preferred it. When I had run this on Bitstream the effect was much less inspiring and I don't understand why.

I am wondering what everyone else is using. I could go with analog direct too. Haven't tried it yet but I have the cables. It is just that there are so many setting in the BD85 and it takes a lot of testing to figure out what they all do.

The BD85 is an old player. So I would be surprised if it would do a better job of decoding, unless I still haven't figured out the proper settings for the bitstream out. I am also not sure the BD85 will decode the latest formats properly.

What settings have you guys found that give the best surround results? Any comments are welcome. I asked on the Pioneer Elite forum but got no input.

Thanks
I guess I answered my own question. Doesn't really matter if you use bitstream or PCM. "Should" sound the same. Maybe it does. At least with bitstream I can tell what is being decoded by the display on the AVR.

Pioneer SC-81
BluRay Panasonic BD85
Optoma projector & Seiki TV
7.1 - Klipsch KG5.2, center, bookshelf SB, Acoustech sides
JBL E250P Subwoofer
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page