Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 3241 Old 05-06-2010, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I used the monoprice 501 with the panasonic 80 to the onkyo 605 receiver.. it seem to work fine.

Jacob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3241 Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBlue View Post

Thanks for the reply. I've tried that and unfortunately it didn't work. Panasonic tech support said that any of their new blu-ray players with the viera link will not work through an hdmi switch. They claim it has to be directly connected to the hdmi port on the television. Just curious if anyone else here has an hdmi switch that does work with this machine?

I have an old switcher that I got 3 years ago. It works fine for me. I only have one good port on my tv.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product
post #363 of 3241 Old 05-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Liked: 10
Thanks Jacob305 and robo24 for the replies. That's good to know. I ordered another hdmi switch that's 1.3a certified and some new cables. Hopefully that will work. Otherwise I may just purchase the Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver with hdmi input pass-through and give that a try. My current Onkyo receiver is much older and doesn't have hdmi inputs. I could use an upgrade.
post #364 of 3241 Old 05-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer View Post

What did you use to format the drive with FAT32?

I just tried a 500GB external drive formatted to FAT32, and the player says the USB device is incompatible.

Updating with answer: I got it working. I originally used Acronis TrueImage to format the drive as FAT32 (got it from Western Digital). It must do something that the BD85 doesn't like.

I wiped the drive and reformatted with CompuApps Swissknife V3, and now it sees it fine.

Still experimenting with getting the HD videos to play.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Disclaimer: I neither speak for nor represent my employer or its views.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Wilde
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
post #365 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I am close to ordering the Panasonic bd 85k blue ray player but I have a setup that requires some complicated cabling. Presently I have an Infocus X10 projector (1080p) that is in back of a room while at the front under the screen I have an HD Panasonic 50 inch plasma (720P). Also in the front I have an Outlaw pre-amp/amp without hdmi capability but it will take 5.1 analog inputs (I am set up for 7.1). Because of the size of the room (14 feet wide by 20 foot long) I would normally need a 35 foot hdmi cable if I put the player in front of the room which according to what I have see is problematical and 25 foot is about the longest to guarantee hdmi 1.3 operation..

I am therefore putting the player on the side of the room which will mean I can run a 25 foot hdmi cable and then run 6 analog cables 12 feet to the pre-amp to take advantage of Blue Ray sound. I would also like to run an hdmi cable to the plasma 720 p TV but I would need an hdmi switch which may be problematical to useor perhaps run component which should be okay for 720p video performance (I hope) without a switch.

Does the above make sense. Can I avoid using the switch and use instead component cables and still get 720p video?

John
post #366 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post

I would also like to run an hdmi cable to the plasma 720 p TV but I would need an hdmi switch which may be problematical to useor perhaps run component which should be okay for 720p video performance (I hope) without a switch.

Does the above make sense. Can I avoid using the switch and use instead component cables and still get 720p video?

Yes, you should get 720p via component just fine.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Quote:
post #367 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:

What did you use to format the drive with FAT32?

I just tried a 500GB external drive formatted to FAT32, and the player says the USB device is incompatible.

Sorry for the late responce...

I see that you got it working! Good to hear! But, to answer your question, I simply used the formatting utility built into Windows 7 to format mine. Worked fine, just took a LLLoooooooonnnnnnggggggg time!

Hope all is well! All the best...
post #368 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider_99 View Post

I'm having trouble with this and hoping someone can help...

I'm downloading samples from this page:
Code:
http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/high-definition-trailers.php
and putting them either on the root of an SD card or in the path specified in the above post and can't get my BD85 to see the video files. I can get it to show jpegs just fine, but no videos.

Are these files not in the correct format or do I have to name them something specific? The manual was no help as it barely even discussed playing video files from an SD card.

Well there are a couple things to keep in mind here...

What format are the files that you are trying to play?!?!? The folder path that you referenced from my previous post was only in reference to AVCHD files (.mts or m2ts). So, if it is in another format, I don't think the BD85 would play it through the SD card slot. It is my understanding that AVCHD videos are the only video files that the BD85 will play through the SD slot. However, the BD85 will play many files (i.e. .avi .dvix etc...) through the USB input.

I mention a program that can convert other HD files to AVCHD in a previous post and that is also where the folder structure and path comes in.

If you can't find anything useful there, or are still having problems after that just let me know and we'll see what we can do!

Hope all is going well for you!

All the best....
post #369 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atownpimpn View Post

Sorry for the late responce...

I see that you got it working! Good to hear! But, to answer your question, I simply used the formatting utility built into Windows 7 to format mine. Worked fine, just took a LLLoooooooonnnnnnggggggg time!

Hope all is well! All the best...

Thanks.

As an FYI, the Win7 format tool will NOT format large drives with FAT32. If you try and do it from the GUI, you don't even get the option. If you try and do it from the command line, it will take all day trying to format and then, at the very end, tell you the drive is too large. (Mine is 500GB; not sure what the cutoff is.)

--
Christopher D. Heer
Quote:
post #370 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:

What format are the files that you are trying to play?!?!? The folder path that you referenced from my previous post was only in reference to AVCHD files (.mts or m2ts). So, if it is in another format, I don't think the BD85 would play it through the SD card slot. It is my understanding that AVCHD videos are the only video files that the BD85 will play through the SD slot. However, the BD85 will play many files (i.e. .avi .dvix etc...) through the USB input.

I mention a program that can convert other HD files to AVCHD in a previous post and that is also where the folder structure and path comes in.

If you can't find anything useful there, or are still having problems after that just let me know and we'll see what we can do!

All the best....

On the flipside, the AVCHD (m2ts) files will NOT, it seems, play via USB. At least, I tried this (putting a single folder created with that utility you recommended) in the root of the drive; I also tried putting the AVCHD folder within a "private" folder off the root. Neither worked, and the manual states that AVCHD works via SD Card slot but not via USB.

So...that's kind of a bummer. Stuck with SD Xvid, I guess.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Quote:
post #371 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

As an FYI, the Win7 format tool will NOT format large drives with FAT32. If you try and do it from the GUI, you don't even get the option. If you try and do it from the command line, it will take all day trying to format and then, at the very end, tell you the drive is too large. (Mine is 500GB; not sure what the cutoff is.)

np

Hum...

That's strange! My drive was a 1TB that I did with Windows 7 Beta. So, I don't know if they changed that on the RTM version or not... I haven't tried to format a large drive since I'm running the RTM.

Well then, glad you got it working!!!

All the best...
post #372 of 3241 Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:

On the flipside, the AVCHD (m2ts) files will NOT, it seems, play via USB. At least, I tried this (putting a single folder created with that utility you recommended) in the root of the drive; I also tried putting the AVCHD folder within a "private" folder off the root. Neither worked, and the manual states that AVCHD works via SD Card slot but not via USB.

So...that's kind of a bummer. Stuck with SD Xvid, I guess.

True, you can not play AVCHD files through the USB. But, if you use the MultiAVCHD program that I mentioned to convert you HD files to AVCHD you can put them onto an SD card and play them with the BD85 in full 1080p HD and Surround Sound (AC3 or DTS)!!!! Here are the few quick steps that I do to get a playable HD file on my BD85.

(First I set the "Destination path:" of MultiAVCHD to c:\\multiAVCHD\\AVCHD\\ (found at the bottom left of the MultiAVCHD window), You could set it whatever you would like, but I just do this for simplicity)

1. Open MultiAVCHD
2. Click the "Add video files" button on the top left, and add the file that I want
3. Click "Start" on the bottom right of the window
4. Choose the "Panasonic Blu-ray players" as the destination media on the pop-up window
5. Then wait for the conversion

I then take the AVCHD folder that it created (since that's what I set the destination path as), and drag that into a folder named PRIVATE on my SD card... Therefore giving the
X:\\PRIVATE\\AVCHD\\BDMV\\STREAM\\ as previously stated...

Then just put the SD card in the BD85 and it should play!

Hope that helps... Let me know if you're still having troubles.

All the best...
post #373 of 3241 Old 05-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

If you have access to a Mac, DiskUtil can format a 500g as FAT32
post #374 of 3241 Old 05-09-2010, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I mention a program that can convert other HD files to AVCHD in xxxxx and that is also where the folder structure and path comes in.

All the best....

Thanks for the reply. I had read your post and was already trying multiAVCHD and the files were in the correct format.

I think my problem was that I was trying with an SD card that had other stuff on it already. After I emptied the card and put just the output of multiAVCHD on the card, the files play fine.

Thanks for your help.

post #375 of 3241 Old 05-09-2010, 06:34 PM

"I would normally need a 35 foot hdmi cable if I put the player in front of the room which according to what I have see is problematical and 25 foot is about the longest to guarantee hdmi 1.3 operation."

Jefney, I am running a 10 meter or 33' HDMI cable between my Samsung 58" plasma and Denon receiver with no problems at all. It is a Silver Serpant from bettercables.com.

Dave
post #376 of 3241 Old 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM

This player is out-of-stock (or close to it) on most websites and in most stores that I've been able to check for a few weeks now. Does anyone have a clue as to why it's out of stock?
post #377 of 3241 Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pes411 View Post

I recently got the 85, and I am having a heck of a time with wireless connections. I have called the panny supoort maybe 5 separate times and my local ISP once, to no avail. I am able to connect hard wired or when my wireless router is unsecured. Once I enable the security, the BD85 gets kicked off the net.
For some reason when the security is on, the panny is assigning a IP address that starts with 169.... instead of 192...? With the connection check, the first 2 tests pass, but it fails on the "Connection to Gateway". I am running 802.11G 128bit WEP encryption through a Linksys WCG200 router/gateway combo. I have even opened ports to no avail, since the IP address won't match up (with encryption). The support desk at one point said that the dongle was b/g and not N, which I know isn't correct.
I guess I am resigned to running a land line through the floor/walls, but I wanted to see if maybe anyone else has a different idea (other than getting a new modem/router set-up).

I'm wondering, did you ever get this working? If not, there are some things to check. The first is that both the router's and player's setup have exactly the same WEP key. With all the digits used, typos are easy to make and will keep the two from connecting. It also may be that one box is set for WPA and the other for WEP. There's another possibility. My N router isn't Linksys, but IIRC (I'm not at home right now) it uses WPA by default when set to N-only mode for better speed. To use WEP, it has to be set to its b/g compatibility mode, in which case it can use either encryption type. Perhaps your router works the same way.

Good luck, and I hope you get it sorted out!

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #378 of 3241 Old 05-11-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:

True, you can not play AVCHD files through the USB. But, if you use the MultiAVCHD program that I mentioned to convert you HD files to AVCHD you can put them onto an SD card and play them with the BD85 in full 1080p HD and Surround Sound (AC3 or DTS)!!!!

Which is certainly cool, but unfortunately not practical in my case. I was hoping to just load up a hard drive with content. Ah, well.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, though -- that MultiAVCHD is a cool find and I look forward to playing with it.

--
Christopher D. Heer
Quote:
post #379 of 3241 Old 05-12-2010, 07:11 PM

I have two Panny 85's and like them. I enjoy Netflix streaming. I have seen demo's of Vudu high definition at Bestbuy and think I might one day upgrade my Internet speed to handle Vudu. I saw that LG has a player with Vudu in the same price range as my 85. I really don't want to pay for a stand-alone Vudu box when I can get a bluray player thrown in for almost the same price.

I don't know the technical ins and outs of why last year's Panasonic's could not be updated to Netflix, but would the same thing apply to Vudu? Will this year's Panasonic's be able to upgrade to Vudu? One of my 85's is still within the 30 day return limit to Bestbuy. I'm 99% satisfied with the PanasonicsI've had three Samsungs (1400, 1500, etc.) and nothing but headaches and glitches. My Panny's play anything thrown in the drawer without a hitch and Netflix is great. I don't want to go LG if they're in the same lack of quality as the Samsungs.

Thanks for any replies.
post #380 of 3241 Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM

I'm on Vudu's forums, and they have no plans of being on Panny stuff. Unless something is in the works, it does not look good. I have a older Vudu BX100 settop, which downloads movies to a HDD, and I just bought a backup (they do no make them anymore). Ive actually fired Netflix, and I download all my new release rentals on the Vudu HDX format and watch them later. The AQ is not HD, just good 5.1, but the PQ is awesome. I keep a couple of new releases on the HDD at all times, so I can watch whenever I get ready too.

You can find BX100's on ebay for $70.
post #381 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have been running into the same issue. Dell had this player at $199 but it was back-ordered and delivery was 6 weeks. Is Panasonic making some kind of change? I can't believe they are replacing this model with a newer one.

John
post #382 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My Dad needed a new blu ray player, so after looking around I decided for his needs and to make my life easier this one would be perfect.
I thought the wireless was built in, so I was a little disappointed to see the wireless was a usb plug in adapter. Really not a big deal, so long as it worked.
Setting up the wireless to his U Verse service was driving me nuts till I looked over at his laptop and said to myself, "hay dummy, look at the wireless setting on the laptop." Connected with out a problem after that.
I really like the auto check for FW updates as he has no clue to them no matter how many times I try to explain it to him and I really don't want that phone call that he bought a new blu ray movie and it wont play.
I've only watch a few movies with him, but so far load time is nice and plays movies great so far. I think it's a nice little player for his needs.
post #383 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider_99 View Post

Thanks for the reply. I had read your post and was already trying multiAVCHD and the files were in the correct format.

I think my problem was that I was trying with an SD card that had other stuff on it already. After I emptied the card and put just the output of multiAVCHD on the card, the files play fine.

Thanks for your help.

Not a problem! Glad you got it sorted out!

All the best...
post #384 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:

Which is certainly cool, but unfortunately not practical in my case. I was hoping to just load up a hard drive with content. Ah, well.

Thanks for your help and suggestions, though -- that MultiAVCHD is a cool find and I look forward to playing with it.

Not a problem! Sorry I misunderstood exactly what you were asking for. So, if you're wanting to play HD content via the USB input, the only way that I know how to do it is with DivX HD. Everything says that it will play it, but I've not had much success with it, which I think is mainly because I was using the DivX Plus HD converter, which output an .mkv file not a .divx file. So, it obviously wouldn't play that. So, if you bought the DivX HD Pro converter you should be able to convert all of your HD content to DivX HD and play it on the BD85 via the USB input. Most of my HD content is in .mkv files, so it is MUCH quicker to demux and re-container as AVCHD than converting all of my .mkv files to DivX HD, which would take a LLOOOOOONNNNGGGGG time! So, for me it wasn't worth the hassle! Best of luck! and I hope you find what you're looking for! Otherwise I'd look into something like the WD HD Media Player that could just play from you hard drive as is.

All the best...
post #385 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Not a problem! Sorry I misunderstood exactly what you were asking for. So, if you're wanting to play HD content via the USB input, the only way that I know how to do it is with DivX HD. Everything says that it will play it, but I've not had much success with it, which I think is mainly because I was using the DivX Plus HD converter, which output an .mkv file not a .divx file. So, it obviously wouldn't play that. So, if you bought the DivX HD Pro converter you should be able to convert all of your HD content to DivX HD and play it on the BD85 via the USB input. Most of my HD content is in .mkv files, so it is MUCH quicker to demux and re-container as AVCHD than converting all of my .mkv files to DivX HD, which would take a LLOOOOOONNNNGGGGG time! So, for me it wasn't worth the hassle! Best of luck! and I hope you find what you're looking for! Otherwise I'd look into something like the WD HD Media Player that could just play from you hard drive as is.

All the best...

i dont know what avchd is let alone multiavchd. and i am hoping that i don't need to learn...

if all i want to do is connect an external hard drive via usb to the panny and play my videos from the hard drive, will that not work? the videos are in avi, jpg and mpeg4 formats. mostly home movie type stuff and some videos downloaded from internet.

Second question: if i have a computer with an integrated video chipset (i.e. not a good quality, dedicated video chip) i assume that using the panny to play the above videos on my TV would look better than just connecting my computer to the TV and playing on the TV (i.e. as a monitor for the computer). am i right?

thanks for the guidance guys.
post #386 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 08:29 PM

Pros and Cons:

I really like this player after coming from 3 Samsungs. I bought the dmp-bd65 and dmp-bd85. The 85 is heavier (about one pound I think), feels better built and has a bigger chassis. The 65 just felt too tinny.

I needed two players and returned the 65 for another 85. It doesn't seem like either unit has a fan; regardless they both get very,very hot underneath. I put a laptop cooler under each (I use a powered usb hub) and that solved the problem.

Wish it had VUDU for the future. Wish there was direct access to SUBTITLES as we use them a lot. I also have Harmony remotes and maybe that could somehow become a dedicated button. I'm not smart enough to know if hidden menu controls can be adapted to one-button actions. If anyone knows how, please feel free to insult my intelligence with how to do this.

One more question: has anyone tried the sound equalizer 'tube amp' sounds? and what do you think?

Thanks to all.
post #387 of 3241 Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 PM

Hello,
I bought the DMP-85K 3 weeks ago, hoping to stream videos from Netflix. Unfortunately, the player did not connect to my my Wireles-N network (ATT DSL) even after several tries. I then tried it out in my brother's home yesterday and it did not connect to his Wireless -G network (Verizon DSL) either. The signal strength in both homes was quite strong (3-4 bars out of 5), the player took a while trying to connect but then failed.
I read on some forum that the player can't connect to the the router because of some port being blocked by the ISP (ATT). That doesn't make sense to me. All my laptops and other desktops in the home connect effortlessly to the network, I can't imagine how an ISP would play a role in this.
I searched many different forums to find more info about the problem I am dealing with ..but so far no luck.
Any help from forum memebers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
post #388 of 3241 Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM

i tried to use the wireless that came with the 85 for about 5 minutes and when it didnt immediately find the network, i just plugged in a cat 5 cable (i have the house pretty thoroughly wired in addition to a wireless system). it immediately "saw" the wired connection and netflix on demand works great. if you have the ability to use a hard wired connection then i would suggest taht you consider it if for no other reason then an increase in streaming rate.

good luck.
post #389 of 3241 Old 05-14-2010, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj2776 View Post

Hello,
I bought the DMP-85K 3 weeks ago, hoping to stream videos from Netflix. Unfortunately, the player did not connect to my my Wireles-N network (ATT DSL) even after several tries. I then tried it out in my brother's home yesterday and it did not connect to his Wireless -G network (Verizon DSL) either. The signal strength in both homes was quite strong (3-4 bars out of 5), the player took a while trying to connect but then failed.
I read on some forum that the player can't connect to the the router because of some port being blocked by the ISP (ATT). That doesn't make sense to me. All my laptops and other desktops in the home connect effortlessly to the network, I can't imagine how an ISP would play a role in this.
I searched many different forums to find more info about the problem I am dealing with ..but so far no luck.

The ISP is not likely the problem if you're having an issue actually associating with the access point. The AP itself or the way it's configured is likely the issue. With that said, more and more ISPs around where I live are bundling a wireless router with cable/dsl modem "all-in-one" for their service. While I would still maintain that the AP is the issue, in those cases, the AP is somewhat tied to the ISP so you could sort of point your finger at them.

If you can get the brand and model of your access point/wireless router then it should be reasonable for someone to help you dig into the settings and get it working.

I have no doubt that there are many folks here on AVS that can help, but I have also seen some fantastic broadband specific sites where people help out with just such issues. You might have better luck on a site more like that if you're not getting the answers you need here. A Google search on the model of your wireless router plus "help" or "won't connect" is where I'd start.

The only reason I suggest that is because the settings on the BD85 seem pretty straightforward to me. On the other hand, some wireless routers/APs I've seen have been a little more like a mangled mess of menus.

I would also highly suggest hard-wiring with ethernet if it's even remotely available. In my opinion, wireless is for mobile devices and wires are for stationary ones. Of course some places you just can't wire with cat5 and in those cases, you don't have much of a choice.

post #390 of 3241 Old 05-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by raj2776 View Post

Hello,

It's really damn picky. I finally threw the instructions across the room, they were no help what so ever. Took me like 20minutes before I got it to connect to the AT&T U verse wireless gateway. If you got a laptop the go into the wireless setting to find the SSID and all that good stuff.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page