Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 3231 Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, but I am having issues with the audio intermittently cutting out all during any dvd. Sure would like to get to the bottom of this. Brand new and only had it for less than a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 3231 Old 05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
gazell.. are you using a receiver?
try turning off the receiver and turning it back on.

I remember having that problem and with even past panasonic player.

Jacob
post #453 of 3231 Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post

Amazon is now charging well above list price for the Panasonic BD 85. There seems to be a temporary shortage but what is Panasonic thinking. This is pushing me into the direction of the Samsung C6500.

John

It's not Amazon, it's a 3rd party (Modia) that uses Amazon as a storefront. Amazon's price (when they have it in stock) is $238.19, below list.

"So why don't you put her in charge?" - Hudson
post #454 of 3231 Old 05-23-2010, 09:15 PM

Go ahead and buy then Samsung, and then tell us how well it works out for you.
post #455 of 3231 Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefny View Post

Amazon is now charging well above list price for the Panasonic BD 85. There seems to be a temporary shortage but what is Panasonic thinking. This is pushing me into the direction of the Samsung C6500.

John

It's the retailer that sets the price on the product and they are aware that they can sell these units at pretty close to full retail, or even above.
It frequently happens that Panasonic introduces an improved product in the spring. The product gets nice reviews so they fly off the shelves. Panny builds more. Retailers will sell those units too, at very close to MSRP until sales start dwindling, usually mid-summer.
post #456 of 3231 Old 05-24-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

there is a new update for the panasonic 85. I did it this morning.

Jacob
post #457 of 3231 Old 05-24-2010, 08:04 AM

Date/Version Description
2010/5/24
Ver 1.23

1. VIERA CAST update
2. Off timer function improvement (active while pause.)
post #458 of 3231 Old 05-24-2010, 02:20 PM

SETTINGS

When i am watching or listening to a disc, any foray into the settings menu seems to require that i exit the disc, go to the screen that has settings as one of the selections and then when i want to return to the disc it takes a while to get back (especially for blu ray) and then i have often lost my place in the disc (especially for the blu rays).

now that i think that i have the settings the way that i want them, this may not be that big of a problem for me. but for the past few days when i was puzzling over how to configure the BD85 to give the the results i wanted, the back and forth of disc to settings to disc was PAINFUL.

Has anyone found a better way to do this?

Thanks,
post #459 of 3231 Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

the only player that i know that can do the setup during the movie is the oppo player. its a fine machine.

Jacob
post #460 of 3231 Old 05-25-2010, 09:26 AM

I have a question for you all. I'm running my BD-85 into a Denon 3806 via HDMI and watching it on my Panny G20. The first movie I popped in was Avatar. HOLY CRAP was it awesome. I didn't do any pre-configuration on the BD-85, just played. Now, funny thing is, just this last weekend I could get any sound while playing a BR disk, I spent an hour trying to figure out what happen, I believe, I had to change the digital audio settings from bitstream to PCM, as the Denon doesn't do any decoding since it's almost 5 years old.

So, most importantly, my first question is, on the BD-85, what is the "best" configuration setting I'm going to be able to use for the best possible sound out of my Denon 3806?

Second, how is it that the Avatar BR disk played when I did no pre-configuration of the player, and then it stopped?
post #461 of 3231 Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I bought an 85 a couple weeks ago, and I’m noticing a buzzing noise coming from my speakers. It’s only noticeable during very quiet passages when the volume is turned up to -5 or greater. I first noticed it while watching “No Country for Old Men,” which has several scenes where there is no dialog or music (the creepy killer-guy walking around trying to be quiet, etc.). It happens while playing DVDs or Blu-Rays (not sure about Netflix… haven’t tested that yet.) I’ve tried changing HDMI cables, changing the input on my receiver and TV. No luck. I think that the noise is handshake related... it will be a medium-pitched electronic static sound for either 5 seconds or 13 seconds, followed by a couple seconds of a high-pitched “fax machine” type of sound, then back to 5 or 13 seconds of the static sound. If I turn off my TV, the noise will stop for a few seconds then resume. The 85 is connected to my Marantz SR7001 via HDMI, which is then connected to my Panasonic (forget the model #) 42” 720p plasma via HDMI. Has anybody heard this, or could anybody play a disc with quiet passages and see if they hear it? Thanks in advance.

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better." - Laurie Anderson
post #462 of 3231 Old 05-26-2010, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Do any of your other HDMI sources have the noise while playing? There are quite a few signal and ground lines in an HDMI connection, and its possible that one or more of them in the player's connector are intermittent. Maybe a player exchange is called for, but there's one other thing I'd try first, and that is to plug the player into a different outlet, using an extension cord if necessary. You may have a ground loop going on. Usually these are noticeable at lower volumes, but it's worth doing just to eliminate it as a possible source of the noise.

BTW, my 85's been just fine so far.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #463 of 3231 Old 05-26-2010, 03:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolls-Royce View Post

Do any of your other HDMI sources have the noise while playing? There are quite a few signal and ground lines in an HDMI connection, and its possible that one or more of them in the player's connector are intermittent. Maybe a player exchange is called for, but there's one other thing I'd try first, and that is to plug the player into a different outlet, using an extension cord if necessary. You may have a ground loop going on. Usually these are noticeable at lower volumes, but it's worth doing just to eliminate it as a possible source of the noise.

BTW, my 85's been just fine so far.

It doesn't sound like a ground loop. Too high pitched and it sounds computer-generated, if that makes sense. My only other HDMI source (Oppo 983) does not make the noise. I even switched cables and receiver inputs, and the buzz followed the Panny 85. The TV is plugged into one outlet and everything else (cable box, DVD, receiver, etc.) is plugged into a UPS plugged into a different outlet. I'll give it a try, tho. I did notice today that if I hit pause while watching a disc that the noise continues... makes it easy to hear it while trying different connections (kinda hard to crank it up to +10 when a disc is playing).

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now... only much, much better." - Laurie Anderson
post #464 of 3231 Old 05-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageless1 View Post

I have been reading the forum from the beginning and this is me first post.

I am planning on buying as soon as someone has one in stock. There as a couple of things that are not clear that some one may be able to help with.
1) What is the SD memory needed for? I know it is needed to play extended material from blu-ray vidios. But is it needed to play Netflex?
2) Is there a way to use either the WIFI or wired network to connect to my PC, running Windows, and share files from my PC. I am trying to get around the FAT32 restriction on hooking up a USB disk to the BD85.

Thanks for your help in advance.

First off, Welcome to AVS Forum!!! Hope you enjoy your stay.

To answer your first question, the only thing that you "need" the SD card for is to access the Blu-ray Live content online. That requires that you have 1GB of storage capacity on your machine, and since the BD85 does not have any internal memory, it uses the SD slot for this. NO, you do not need an SD card in the BD85 to stream your NetFlix movies! So, good news there!

2nd question. No, unfortunately the U.S. version of the BD85 is not DNLA compliant. So, you cannot access anything "on your computer" through the network connection. I've read that the European version is DNLA compliant, but that many people are having problems using it, and cannot even play an .mp3 from from their computer with it.

Hope this helps!

All the best...
post #465 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 08:32 AM

fyi, when reading the manual i got the impression that the 7.1 reformatting, when enabled, would apply to blurays AND dvds. apparently it only works for blurays. great feature and definately an upgrade from the '55 as it only upconverted DTS-MA 5.1 and 6.1 to 7.1. on the '85, it reformats all bluray DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-MA, TrueHD 5.1 and 6.1 tracks to 7.1.
post #466 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Has anyone used this unit to view jpeg files on a BD-RE? I got my Dad set up and copied all his high res photos onto a BD-RE. Everything works fine, but now it takes forever (2-3 minutes) to load each photo when going through the photos in a folder. It was taking just a few seconds.
post #467 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Has anyone used this unit to view jpeg files on a BD-RE? I got my Dad set up and copied all his high res photos onto a BD-RE. Everything works fine, but now it takes forever (2-3 minutes) to load each photo when going through the photos in a folder. It was taking just a few seconds.

Not sure why it would take that long, but as a suggestion, if you're going through the trouble of burning them all to a disk, maybe you want to resize them while you're at it.

Full HD is a little over 2 megapixels. If you're putting full res images on the disc, the player is reading a lot more raw data off the disc than necessary (assuming something like a 10MP image)

2-3 minutes does seem odd though. How large are the files?

post #468 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 04:24 PM

There's 4100 images all high res (~2 - 3.5 MB each).

I could resize them to just over HD res, but I have no idea how to do that in bulk.
post #469 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Hi:

I am using the player to watch Amazon on Demand movie for the first time.
Can someone telll me how to turn the subtitles on.

Thanks
post #470 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:

There's 4100 images all high res (~2 - 3.5 MB each).

I could resize them to just over HD res, but I have no idea how to do that in bulk.

I've never tried it but maybe this will work for you:

http://download.cnet.com/Bulk-Photo-...-10790046.html

Denon AVR4311CI
Magnepan 2.7QR's w/ MGCC3 Center
(2) Polk RT15i
(2) Sonotube Subs with 18" Stereo Integrity D4 Drivers
Behringer NU3000 & NU4-6000 Amps
Panasonic DMP-BDP210 - Projector: BenQ W1070
Panamax M5400-PM
60" Samsung TV
WDTV Live & Minix Neo X7
Some audio history: https://skydrive.live.c...
post #471 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsomner View Post

fyi, when reading the manual i got the impression that the 7.1 reformatting, when enabled, would apply to blurays AND dvds. apparently it only works for blurays. great feature and definately an upgrade from the '55 as it only upconverted DTS-MA 5.1 and 6.1 to 7.1. on the '85, it reformats all bluray DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-MA, TrueHD 5.1 and 6.1 tracks to 7.1.

Are you using the player's analog outputs? DSPs such as PLIIx do a more intelligent job of expanding 5.1 and 6.1 sources to 7.1 People using PCM over HDMI are better served using a DSP in their receivers instead of the Panasonic reformatting, which merely duplicates the surrounds to the rears.
post #472 of 3231 Old 05-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XStanleyX View Post

I've never tried it but maybe this will work for you:

http://download.cnet.com/Bulk-Photo-...-10790046.html

Perfect, thanks.
post #473 of 3231 Old 05-31-2010, 05:58 AM

Hello,

I have to say at the start, this is a great thread for those of us who are just getting started on the Bluray "journey".
So I hope everyone will have patience with the redudant nature of this post.

Here's my situation:

-I'm slowly putting together the components needed to "upgrade" my current home theater system with my first purchase being a SONY KDL-52NX800 HDTV

Nothing has been set up yet.

-I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-V800, which functions quite well and I'm very happy with... it's a 5.1 surround sound home theater unit......with "no" HDMI inputs.

So naturally, when focusing on a bluray purchase, the issue of HDMI connections arrises.

I've been attracted to the Panasonic DMP-BD85 because of it "internal decoder" for True HD and HD Master Audio which will in turn allow me to connect to my Yamaha reciever using the 5.1 channel audio output option on the BD85.

(Am I correct in my assessment of the Panasonic BD85, thus far?)

Opinions about my system's configuration employing the BD-85?

I'm also interested in the "possibility" of wirelessly streaming NETFLIX (I don't have an account set up, yet.) via a Belkin N+ router.

So, to summarize, my main concerns are:
-A bluray player's "adaptability" to an older reciever (the internal audio decoder capability)

-Dependable, high-quality Bluray picture.
-Netflix streaming with my "current" router.-
-Good "upscaling" capability for my current DVD collection.

Is the Panasonic a good choice? (I've also heard that the Panasonic BDT300 and the BDT350 have similar features as described above.)

-Are there other Bluray players that employ the internal decoder and audio output for 5.1?

Thank you very much.
post #474 of 3231 Old 05-31-2010, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here's my thinking: I ahve a Yamaha rxv800 with no hdmi. I've got the BD85 on order and with be hooking it into the Yammy via analogs in order to have the newest sound transmissions availble to me. However, as I unserstand it (correct me if I am wrong), I'll be using the BD85's sound processing and just the Yammy's amp. Thus, calibration of the sound will come through the BD85. The trade off being that with this setup, I won't be able to use the Yammy's various sound fields (correct me if I am wrong).

Now the question is, what happens if I also hooked the BD85 to the Yammy via optical or coax? I know that this setup gives lossey DD 5.1 (which is what I have for my surround sound), and this can be pretty good unless one is an audiphile (which I am not). But, will I be able to switch between analog and digital without having to jump through hoops? Or, maybe it just can't be done?
post #475 of 3231 Old 05-31-2010, 01:42 PM

Hey guys I need to buy a blu ray player for the theatre room. I watched Avatar with my Panny 60 and it sounded very rich (im sure the DTS tracked helped) I have an older HK with optical in. I know that its lossy with optical but much better sounding than regular DVD.The 60 that I used is for the living room's so I need another for the basment(theatre room).

I was hoping that those with the 85 could help my decision making a little bit.

1) I can get a Panny 65 for $140-- Is it worth the extra $80 for the full sound with the 85? I dont watch too many movies in the theatre room and I wasnt sure if anyone with the 85 has compared the analog sound with having it plugged into optical.

2) If there is a noticeable difference to go with analog should I stick with the Panny 85($220-240) or get the Samsung 6500($179)?

I dont mind spending the money. But I'd rather listen to the opinions from people that may have been in the same boat as I am in now.

Thanks!

Made a mistake in life? Nothin' a little Valtrex can't take care of...
post #476 of 3231 Old 06-01-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

Date/Version Description
2010/5/24
Ver 1.23

1. VIERA CAST update
2. Off timer function improvement (active while pause.)

The firmware update (firmware 1.23 on the BD65/BD85 and firmware 2.4 on the BD60/BD80) enables Pandora *BUT* Panasonic also needs to make a back-end server change in order for Pandora to show up on the VIERA Cast screens on compatible Blu-ray Disc players.

Those who do the 1.23 (or 2.4) firmware upgrade will see Pandora magically appear soon (I expect June).

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #477 of 3231 Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

Here's my thinking: I ahve a Yamaha rxv800 with no hdmi. I've got the BD85 on order and with be hooking it into the Yammy via analogs in order to have the newest sound transmissions availble to me. However, as I unserstand it (correct me if I am wrong), I'll be using the BD85's sound processing and just the Yammy's amp. Thus, calibration of the sound will come through the BD85. The trade off being that with this setup, I won't be able to use the Yammy's various sound fields (correct me if I am wrong).

Now the question is, what happens if I also hooked the BD85 to the Yammy via optical or coax? I know that this setup gives lossey DD 5.1 (which is what I have for my surround sound), and this can be pretty good unless one is an audiphile (which I am not). But, will I be able to switch between analog and digital without having to jump through hoops? Or, maybe it just can't be done?

Yes, you can use the optical or coax outputs of the BD85 concurrently with the multi-channel analog outputs and you will get discrete surround sound from both outputs. Not all players behave this way, but the Panasonic definitely does. It's only when trying to use HDMI audio and analog audio that things can get tricky.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #478 of 3231 Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Thought you guys might appreciate this. We covered the new audio and video processing in the BD85 in some detail (OK, a lot of detail).

DMP-BD85 Review

Enjoy...

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #479 of 3231 Old 06-01-2010, 07:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

"It was just taking a few seconds" where/how?

Did you try using a USB flash drive instead? Access/loading time on a solid state device tends to be a lot quicker than reading from an optical drive. If my math is right, you should be able to fit all 4100 images on a 16 GB USB thumb drive. Maybe try out a small subset (like 100?) on a standard 1GB or 2GB drive and see if it's any quicker than reading from disc.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
post #480 of 3231 Old 06-01-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post

Hey guys I need to buy a blu ray player for the theatre room. I watched Avatar with my Panny 60 and it sounded very rich (im sure the DTS tracked helped) I have an older HK with optical in. I know that its lossy with optical but much better sounding than regular DVD.The 60 that I used is for the living room's so I need another for the basment(theatre room).

I was hoping that those with the 85 could help my decision making a little bit.

1) I can get a Panny 65 for $140-- Is it worth the extra $80 for the full sound with the 85? I dont watch too many movies in the theatre room and I wasnt sure if anyone with the 85 has compared the analog sound with having it plugged into optical.

2) If there is a noticeable difference to go with analog should I stick with the Panny 85($220-240) or get the Samsung 6500($179)?

I dont mind spending the money. But I'd rather listen to the opinions from people that may have been in the same boat as I am in now.

Thanks!

IMHO, for last year's models, the upgrade from BD60 to BD80 was a tough sell. But this year, the upgrade from BD65 to BD85 is much more compelling. On the BD85, you get:
  • Enhanced audio (not just the multi-channel analog outputs, but the Jitter Purifier for potential improvements to digital sound over HDMI as well)
  • Enhanced video (the BD85 includes an enhanced chroma processor over the BD65 for better DVD upconversion, and even improvements to Blu-ray playback)
  • 802.11b/g/n WiFi via included USB adapter
  • Playback Information Window (I love that goofy little banner of geeky info like codecs, bitrates and chroma output)
If your receiver supports multi-channel analog inputs, then definitely give the BD85 a try - you can compare the lossless codecs over analog to lossy over S/PDIF digital and choose whichever you like best.

-CB

Chris Boylan
Home Theater Editor
Big Picture Big Sound
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page