Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3241 Old 07-05-2010, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwaug View Post

When my 85 is in quickstart it sends a signal to my HDMI switch box so this must be normal behavior.

OK, what about the vierra cast issues I've Had? Has it been glitchy for you as well (not all the time) just seems to be little things here and there, like a stream doesn't load correctly the first try, or the vierracast home screen loads slow etc. Also is it normal for the 85k to become warm to the touch after some time of use? it seems to get warmer then the 601k, and sometimes the air vents smell like warm silicon but never burnt, but I noticed with the older one it too has a slight silicon smell too it when it gets warm. I think the 85k has a bit stronger smell because it's new. Like i said though everything works solidly. The unit plays divx HD nicely. I usually work with H.264 video on a mac, and I'll just take it and convert the files to divx hd to play on the unit, so far no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OK, so I now have the BD85 and will be attempting to hook it into my Yammy's 5.1 speaker system - must do it via analogs and/or optical/coax digital cabling as the Yammy doesn't have HDMI.

I have saved several posts from here as they all seemed to give me a reasonable template for connecting the cables:

Cheer, link 422...multichannel audio and optical/digital
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...230391&page=15

BIslander, Link 501
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18731012

BIslander, Link 511...using both optical and analog
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...230391&page=18

For most folks these references should certainly be enough to get started. But knowing what I know about myself and abitlity to do this, I know that I need to feel very secure that I am doing it right...so forgive me if I ask some more questions (that undoubtably have been answered already) before I take the plunge.

On page 9 of the BD85 manual, the far right panel shows the analog hook up. Of particular confusion to me is that I'm instructed to hook a cable from the BD85's sub-woofer jack into the corresponding jack on the Yammy. See Page 17, 18 of the rxv800 manual
http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/...RX-V800kai.pdf) for the corresponding jacks. My problem is that the Yammy's sub-jack is already being used going from the Yammy to the sub. So, how does one get sub function when that jack is already in use? I think I'm missing something, but don't see where...could it be that the Yammy will process the sound inputs from the other cables and then process it out through the existing sub-jack???

For use with analog cables, the Yammy should be set to PCM - Yes/No?

As the Yammy only has 5.1 capability and BIslander suggests that one may not really hear the differences between opt/coax and analog sound (I'm not an audiophile, but do want "good" 5.1 sound), I'm planning on trying both to see if I the difference is meaning full to me. Certainly the opt/coax appears to be the easier way to go. And, BTW, with opt/coax should the Yammy be set to PCM or Bit?

After these issues are settled, I will then attempt to hook up the wireless connection...something that is totally new to me, and somewhat dreaded. I do have a Linksys WRT320N attached to my desktop computer and will be connecting Linksys WET610N gaming adapter to my Panasonic 50V10 for internet acess. Unfortunately, it only has one ethernet port, so it must go to the TV. But I will be using the BD85'w dongle for it wireless connection. I don't know how to set this up yet, but will be back with questions once the sound system is in place. Right now, I'm naively hoping that the adapter doesn't interfere with the dongle??? BTW, does the dongle capture a signal from the gaming adapter or from the router that is hooked into the desktop?
post #633 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

My problem is that the Yammy's sub-jack is already being used going from the Yammy to the sub. So, how does one get sub function when that jack is already in use?

There are two subwoofer jacks on a receiver - one output and one input. Your sub is connected to the receiver output. You need to connect your player to the receiver's SW input. It will be in the same groups of jacks as the other analog input channels.

Quote:

For use with analog cables, the Yammy should be set to PCM - Yes/No?

No. PCM on a receiver input tells it to only process a PCM signal. That's digital and you are using analog. With multichannel analog, the receiver's digital input configuration doesn't matter at all. You will be selecting the analog inputs instead of a digital one. On the player, you need to set Secondary Audio to Off. Otherwise the player will decode the lossy tracks instead of the lossless ones. (btw, it doesn't matter whether the player is set to PCM or bitstream for Dolby and DTS when using analog.)

Quote:

As the Yammy only has 5.1 capability and BIslander suggests that one may not really hear the differences between opt/coax and analog sound (I'm not an audiophile, but do want "good" 5.1 sound), I'm planning on trying both to see if I the difference is meaning full to me. Certainly the opt/coax appears to be the easier way to go. And, BTW, with opt/coax should the Yammy be set to PCM or Bit?

Receiver don't have bitstream settings. That's a player setting. You want the AVR input set to Auto so that it will process whatever digital signal you send it. (Auto is a generic term here. I'm not sure what Yamaha calls it. But, it's the default setting for digital inputs. So, you should be good to go on it already.) On the player side, set both the DTS and Dolby digital outputs to bitstream. If you use PCM over an optical/coax connection, the player will downmix to stereo. Bitstream is the only way to get multichannel audio with those connections.

I have two other thoughts about analog.

1. Read this article I wrote at bigpicturebigsound.com. It explains most everything you need to know about setting up analog:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ho..._And_Why.shtml

2. As I mentioned in one of the posts you linked, it's not possible to calibrate for both analog and digital with many Yamahas. If you want to calibrate for both, you have to have a way to boost the sub for analog without also boosting it for digital. Many Yamahas lack that functionality.
post #634 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I am thinking Vierra cast is borked. Tonight, i am having a couple strange issues. 1, Vierra Cast has been unreliable to load the home screen on both my panasonic players 601k and 85k second pandora is saying it's not available in this country. I was just using it about an hour ago. what the heck is going on? seems like blu-ray players are all going to hell in a hand basket lately (no matter what the brand)
post #635 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had problems with my player getting hot. best to not have something under it.

those that are having problems with the bdlive? are you connected through a receiver, HDMI switcher or just the tv?

thanks
Jacob
post #636 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All of the newer models Ive had with the Uniphier chip get very warm on the bottom, no problems though.
post #637 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwayLite View Post

All of the newer models Ive had with the Uniphier chip get very warm on the bottom, no problems though.

Anyone happen to know what the difference between AES and TKIP is, when it comes to wireless and choosing an encryption scheme for the player to use? AES works fine or seems to but is there one I should use over the other?
post #638 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

I use tkip.

Jacob
post #639 of 3241 Old 07-06-2010, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

Yes, that's true. No tones for the sub

Use the arrows to select the speaker. Press OK. Then, use the up/down arrows to select the size. Press OK.

The manual recommends doing level trims in the AVR, not the player, and it's certainly easier to do it that way. The sub adjustments, including the needed 10-15dB boost, must be done downstream.

Again Thanks for your input. With your help I figured out how to set speakers to large or small. I was lucky as I had balanced the speakers before with my sound meter and the results continue the same-balanced.

The process of setting up is too cumbersome with this remote. It is too easy to hit the wrong key while using the up and down arrows while the manual on setting up analog output leaves a lot to be desired. Common Panasonic. You have a good product but your remote and manual need upgrading.

John
post #640 of 3241 Old 07-08-2010, 09:48 AM
dpn

Liked: 11
I hope a more experienced user can help me.

I have this BD player, a Onkyo TX-SR608 receiver, a Mitsubishi HC3800 projector, 7.1 ch speakers, and all is generally fine, but...

I was watching AVATAR, and the soundtrack started becoming garbled...it was a brand new disc...I turned the BD player off and restarted it, and after that it was fine for the rest of the movie. It's done that 2 times with this video.

Last night I started to watch GLADIATOR. For some reason I could hear the musical score, but the dialogue was almost completely muted. Again, I shut down and restarted the Panasonic BD player, and all was well..Again, this was a brand new, never before watched disc.

Any idea what can be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

DPN
post #641 of 3241 Old 07-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

There are two subwoofer jacks on a receiver - one output and one input. Your sub is connected to the receiver output. You need to connect your player to the receiver's SW input. It will be in the same groups of jacks as the other analog input channels.

Excellent instructions (including your article), but of course I still ahve a few more questions before hunkering down to setup the bd85.

The bd85 is replacing my Onkyo DV-C501. For the Onkyo's sound setup, I had an optical cable going between the Yammy and the Onkyo. The optical jack on the Yammy was is labeled DVD, So, to hear sound, I had to switch the Yammy from cable/sat to DVD. I plan to now hook the bd85 to the yammy the same way; at least initially to first see how the sound is. I will then do the analog connections. My question is if I have the optical cable going to DVD on the Yammy and have the analog cables going to the analog input jacks, am I right is saying that when playing a music media vs a video media, the only changes I have to make may be with the SW's boost when playing video and Secondary Audio to Off and to bitstream on the bd85. And for music, which I imagine will be output through the optical cable, se bd85 to pcm and anything else?
post #642 of 3241 Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycaster View Post

My question is if I have the optical cable going to DVD on the Yammy and have the analog cables going to the analog input jacks, am I right is saying that when playing a music media vs a video media, the only changes I have to make may be with the SW's boost when playing video and Secondary Audio to Off and to bitstream on the bd85. And for music, which I imagine will be output through the optical cable, se bd85 to pcm and anything else?

You sort of lost me there.

Beginning at the end, when playing a CD, you can leave the digital output on bitstream. The player always sends PCM as PCM, regardless of that setting. The CD will be output over optical and over the L/R/SW MCH analog jacks at the same time. So, you can listen to it either way. If you cannot calibrate your AVR for both analog and digital because of the Yamaha limitations we've discussed, then you'll probably be better off using analog for CDs as well. If you can get the Yahama calibrated for both, a digital path to your receiver is probably better for CDs.

As for using optical and analog for movies, that's where I got lost. You can leave secondary audio off with both and only turn it on when you want to hear commentaries. You can leave the DD and DTS outputs on bitstream all the time. That won't affect analog decoding or CD playback.
post #643 of 3241 Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Well, got the wiring done; have to use component to TV because my present hdmi is too short, but will replace with hdmi when I get a longer one.

So you thought I confused you with my questions. Sorry, just image how confused I was. Anyway, I'm now studying the bd85's manual and will give things a try this weekend. And then after that, my next hurdle will be to get the 85's wireless aspect to work. I'm new at wireless stuff, but at least I lucked out with getting my new router (Linksys 320N) to work with my laptop. Hope I'll be just as lucky getting it to work with the 85 and with the Linksys WET620N gaming adapter connected to the Panny TV.

Thanks a lot for your help, BIslander.
post #644 of 3241 Old 07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I had problems with the wireless and the 85 player. it wont stay connected. I have tried many things. I even hooked it up directly to the modem and got the same response. so its not the router. its something in the player that is preventing it from working. I have to go and do the connection test all the time. its works fine with the netflix and viera cast. I get no problem with my oppo and ps3. the oppo is hardwired and the ps3 is wireless. I have a memory card. its the 4 gb. panasonic has been trying to help me. they dont understand why I am having this problem either.

Jacob
post #645 of 3241 Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

I had problems with the wireless and the 85 player. it wont stay connected. I have tried many things. I even hooked it up directly to the modem and got the same response. so its not the router. its something in the player that is preventing it from working. I have to go and do the connection test all the time. its works fine with the netflix and viera cast. I get no problem with my oppo and ps3. the oppo is hardwired and the ps3 is wireless. I have a memory card. its the 4 gb. panasonic has been trying to help me. they dont understand why I am having this problem either.

Jacob

If you've truly tried everything, including unhooking the oppo and using the same cable and port on the router, then you need to return it and get another unit if it's not too late. My unit is at least 60 feet from my router and works flawlessly.
post #646 of 3241 Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

not able to do that. I had gotten a replacement from panasonic with this player. so they would have to send me a new one.

I did find out that if I eject the disc from player and then enter it again then the bdlive would work. I did use the same cable to the router on it and still had the same response.

Jacob
post #647 of 3241 Old 07-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Anyone having issues with Amazon streaming tonight? I tried to watch a rental and was able to order it but when I tried to play it I got a msg that it was unable to connect to Amazon Video on Demand at the moment. This stayed true over the last couple of hours and when I talked to Amazon customer service they said that they were having "temporary" problems streaming to Panasonic players, that they are working it, and try again in 24 hrs. This is the first Amazon movie I've tried since getting the unit.

Dave
post #648 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob305 View Post

not able to do that. I had gotten a replacement from panasonic with this player. so they would have to send me a new one.

I did find out that if I eject the disc from player and then enter it again then the bdlive would work. I did use the same cable to the router on it and still had the same response.

Jacob

If you've gotten a replacement and still having the same problem, check your router. Perhaps time to get one that is a little bit better.

Like the above poster, I've had mine hooked up to a Netgear 300mbps "N" router, and it works absolutely flawlessly. Not a single connection problem or glitch or anything whatsoever has ever gone wrong with this player.
post #649 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksd View Post

Anyone having issues with Amazon streaming tonight? I tried to watch a rental and was able to order it but when I tried to play it I got a msg that it was unable to connect to Amazon Video on Demand at the moment. This stayed true over the last couple of hours and when I talked to Amazon customer service they said that they were having "temporary" problems streaming to Panasonic players, that they are working it, and try again in 24 hrs. This is the first Amazon movie I've tried since getting the unit.

Dave

Tried this AM and it works fine now.
post #650 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I can do bd live fine on my oppo and ps3. its just the panasonic 85 that I have problems.
I also hooked it up to the modem and got the same results.. which I think would mean that its not the router.
Jacob
post #651 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM

I got my 85K yesterday and it is working perfectly accept for having to set up my network every time I turn back on my 85K. Each time I have to go through all the procedures for setting up my network e.g. ssid, wep key to get a pass on the set up. It shows it is in the system but I have to input my ssid and my wep all over again. Is there something I am doing wrong? My Panasonic 58V10 keeps my Vierra Cast active. Should I contact Panasonic?

Henry
post #652 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

seems that I am having the same problem. the connection is not staying connected. I have found out that I had to either do a connection test in set up or just eject the disc and then load it back up.. then it would work.

try that and let me know if you get the same response.

Jacob
post #653 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 01:48 PM

Jacob; Ejecting the disk and reloading doesn't clear the network connection problem on my 85K. I will have to call BB since I got their extended warranty, and see if I need to haved it exchanged. Having to reconfirm a network connection you switch on your 85K is a real pain. Henry
post #654 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

are you using any memory cards? you need that for bd live.

Jacob
post #655 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 02:14 PM

No I am not, but I will to remember that for BD Live. Henry
post #656 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

you will be safe with a 4 gb memory card. does the netflix work for you without any problems? I have no problems playing the netflix myself. its just the bd live that is a problem.

Jacob
post #657 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 03:31 PM

Jacob I have no problem loading Netflix, once I reestablish my network connection. All Viera Cast has great audio. I really how simple the operation is to set up on the 85K, the only thing I am not to sure about is having to go through reestablishing a network connection each I turn on my 85K. Henry
post #658 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

are you going through a receiver or just the HDTV?

Jacob
post #659 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 05:35 PM

Jacob; I am going through my Onkyo TX-NR. 3007 receiver. Are you familiar with that receiver? Henry
post #660 of 3241 Old 07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I own the onkyo 605 receiver. I am sure its fine.
I found some cheap memory cards at blockbuster video of all places.

Jacob
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page