Panasonic DMP-BD85K Blu-Ray player Official Master/Owner's thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #721 of 3234 Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Each component needs their own calibration so it isn't correct when you say it isn't a calibraion issue. You are calibrated for an Oppo, not a Panny.

I will do a simple calibration with S&M and see. But I am certain it is not a calibration issue as the colors/image is too dark and deviates too much from all my other players.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Alex solomon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #722 of 3234 Old 07-20-2010, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, did a quick calibration and still see no change. I also found out that even though I forced 1080p resolution output and enable 24p, according to my PJ (AE4000) I am not getting 24p but 60p even on Blu-ray discs. What gives ?

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #723 of 3234 Old 07-20-2010, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Can the projector do 1080p?

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #724 of 3234 Old 07-20-2010, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
moxie1617's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago Metro
Posts: 2,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

Well, did a quick calibration and still see no change. I also found out that even though I forced 1080p resolution output and enable 24p, according to my PJ (AE4000) I am not getting 24p but 60p even on Blu-ray discs. What gives ?

Something sounds wrong with the player. If you are able to return it you should.
moxie1617 is offline  
post #725 of 3234 Old 07-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
TCDTV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex solomon View Post

the colors/image is too dark and deviates too much from all my other players.

Did you try changing the BD85's black level setting to "lighter?" It's mentioned on page 27 of the manual.
TCDTV is offline  
post #726 of 3234 Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alex solomon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCDTV View Post

Did you try changing the BD85's black level setting to "lighter?" It's mentioned on page 27 of the manual.

Yes, I tried that and all is good now.

I want to hear opinions from people who don't have a dog in the fight.
Alex solomon is offline  
post #727 of 3234 Old 07-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
 
MarkDub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know the details of the Netflix interface via the BD85P-K have been discussed at length here, so I knew what I was getting into when I connected my new player today. One question though - has anyone here had experience with another player where a firmware or software update was pushed that allowed for more of a PS3 (or other console) style Netflix experience? Having both the instant queue titles and the ability to just browse and pick one without going online via PC is nice. Perhaps I'm just dreaming...

Mark
______________________________________________
Oh...Johnny, I apologize; I forgot you were there. You may go now.
Dub Theater HT Build In Progress
MarkDub is offline  
post #728 of 3234 Old 07-21-2010, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
the roku got an update a few months ago where it can do search and favorites. its possible.

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #729 of 3234 Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Newbie
 
kkrkeith7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed that by switching to multi-channel analog outputs that my bass to the subwoofer is a lot less than it used to be. Is that normal? I seem to have to turn up the gain on the subwoofer for DVDs and Blu Rays, then once I switch back to cable or music, I need to turn it back down.
kkrkeith7 is offline  
post #730 of 3234 Old 07-21-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrkeith7 View Post

I've noticed that by switching to multi-channel analog outputs that my bass to the subwoofer is a lot less than it used to be. Is that normal? I seem to have to turn up the gain on the subwoofer for DVDs and Blu Rays, then once I switch back to cable or music, I need to turn it back down.

Yes, that's normal. LFE is recorded 10dB low and needs to be boosted in the AVR or at the sub. With digital sources, the software handles the boost. With analog, you have to apply it yourself. If you are going to use both types of audio with your receiver, you will need to calibrate it for both. Then, when switching from one to the other, you won't have to adjust the gain on the sub.

Also, have you set speaker sizes in the player? None of the AVR set-ups are used with the analog inputs. Bass management is done in the player, while the audio is still digital. That could also be contributing to the weak bass response.

Here's a description of the steps involved in setting up and calibrating for analog:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Ho..._And_Why.shtml
BIslander is offline  
post #731 of 3234 Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Newbie
 
kkrkeith7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll check that link out thanks. I've set my speaker sizes in the player set up yes. I'll have to check on my receiver to see if I can set both analog and digital settings for LFE level and SPL. When I was messing around I couldn't see two options but maybe it does the different settings while the input mode is on multichannel inputs vs cable/sat for example.
kkrkeith7 is offline  
post #732 of 3234 Old 07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrkeith7 View Post

I'll check that link out thanks. I've set my speaker sizes in the player set up yes. I'll have to check on my receiver to see if I can set both analog and digital settings for LFE level and SPL. When I was messing around I couldn't see two options but maybe it does the different settings while the input mode is on multichannel inputs vs cable/sat for example.

Each AVR does this differently. So, you need to poke around in the manual to figure out what's possible with your receiver. There are two calibation issues.

The first is the SW boost. Many AVRs have a specific setting for that, allowing you to apply a boost of 10-15dB for the SW when using the external analog inputs.

The other is separate level trims. I have a Denon AVR and it allows you to set channel trims for each surround mode - and the external inputs are treated as a surround mode for these purposes. I simply select the external inputs and do a second calibration there, which only affects MCH analog sources. Of course, you can do level adjustments in the player, although the Panasonic user interface for that is dreadful.
BIslander is offline  
post #733 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BenJF3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Central New York (Syracuse DMA)
Posts: 3,769
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDub View Post

I know the details of the Netflix interface via the BD85P-K have been discussed at length here, so I knew what I was getting into when I connected my new player today. One question though - has anyone here had experience with another player where a firmware or software update was pushed that allowed for more of a PS3 (or other console) style Netflix experience? Having both the instant queue titles and the ability to just browse and pick one without going online via PC is nice. Perhaps I'm just dreaming...

This is one of the reasons I'm considering keeping my BD55 and going with a Roku Player intead of upgrading to the BD85. The Netflix experience will likely be better with the Roku and I'm not gaining much in the way of noticible difference going from the BD55 to the 85.

Here is a demo of the Roku box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVVKgcv2NKc

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
BenJF3 is offline  
post #734 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Member
 
ejhayes76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 View Post

This is one of the reasons I'm considering keeping my BD55 and going with a Roku Player intead of upgrading to the BD85. The Netflix experience will likely be better with the Roku and I'm not gaining much in the way of noticible difference going from the BD55 to the 85.

Since you have a Blu-ray player already, it makes sense to just get a Roku. You'll spend 1/2 the cost of the BD85. You'll just end up with two components instead of one that does both.
ejhayes76 is offline  
post #735 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
 
dhkinil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 213
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
not to muck things up here, but this thread is more active than the one for the bd 65 (which I just got) and AFAIK they are essentially the same except that the 85 comes with the wifi dongle, has front and back USB ports unlike the 65 which only has a front port and the 85 has optical and coax audio out whereas the 65 lacks a coax port. Is there a reason that this one is more active, seems like otherwise all issues for discussion should be the same???
dhkinil is offline  
post #736 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Member
 
pwaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southwest, PA
Posts: 334
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil View Post

not to muck things up here, but this thread is more active than the one for the bd 65 (which I just got) and AFAIK they are essentially the same except that the 85 comes with the wifi dongle, has front and back USB ports unlike the 65 which only has a front port and the 85 has optical and coax audio out whereas the 65 lacks a coax port. Is there a reason that this one is more active, seems like otherwise all issues for discussion should be the same???

I believe the 85 has different processing also. Many people go with the 85 as they have lagacy recievers and need the analog outputs on the 85 so they can take advantage of the lossless audio on Bluray.
pwaug is offline  
post #737 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Newbie
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone had trouble playing the movie Burn After Reading on Bluray from Netflix in this player? I recently upgraded to this player from a Samsung BD P2500 after it stop playing Bluray discs. The new Pani hasn't had any trouble so far with any Bluray discs except the Burn After Reading movie. Any insight?
SlamMan is offline  
post #738 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 02:32 PM
Member
 
ejhayes76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil View Post

not to muck things up here, but this thread is more active than the one for the bd 65 (which I just got) and AFAIK they are essentially the same except that the 85 comes with the wifi dongle, has front and back USB ports unlike the 65 which only has a front port and the 85 has optical and coax audio out whereas the 65 lacks a coax port. Is there a reason that this one is more active, seems like otherwise all issues for discussion should be the same???

I follow some of the current Denon AVR threads and the higher level models there seem to have more action on the forum. I think more people buy and discuss the middle-upper models.

There are more differences between the 65 and 85 though. I think the processing chip is better on the 85.

However, there seems to be about 1/2 the comments/questions in either forum that could relate to both models. I find this in the Denon forums too. (especially for the same model year products, IE Denon 591/1611 vs 791/1911 threads).
ejhayes76 is offline  
post #739 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
hydrogin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhkinil View Post

not to muck things up here, but this thread is more active than the one for the bd 65 (which I just got) and AFAIK they are essentially the same except that the 85 comes with the wifi dongle, has front and back USB ports unlike the 65 which only has a front port and the 85 has optical and coax audio out whereas the 65 lacks a coax port.

Off the top of my head, the BD85 has some additional differences in:

- Video processing (new "Uniphier" platform)
- An anti-jitter circuit (aimed towards audiophiles)
- An analog video processing disable (again for audiophiles)
- Tube amp emulation modes (like DSP audio effects in receivers).

Its also has some feet to raise the chassis which may help with cooling - BD movie discs spin at up to 10,000 rpm compared to ~1600 rpm for a DVD, so the chassis bottoms can get toasty, at least on the Sony and LG I'm playing with.

Here's an informative review:

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Pa...y-Player.shtml
hydrogin is offline  
post #740 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
if anyone with the panasonic 85 or 65. are you having some bd live connection problems.. please contact me through PM. I would like to discuss the matter.

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #741 of 3234 Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,514
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 125
And, of course, the BD85 has multichannel analog outputs.
BIslander is offline  
post #742 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I picked this player up yesterday at Sears. My main intent was getting a rather cheap Netflix streaming device, like Ruko. Then I saw that BB had the Insignia wi-fi player 50 off at 129. So I figured what the heck, that's almost the price of the roku player. I checked sears on line. They had the Panny 55 off at 194 and in addition the on line add said they provided a 20 dollar gift card, putting it at 174. I've got a Panasonic DVD recorder that works great so I figured I'd spring for the 85 instead of the Insignia. Well the gift card from sears turned out to be 40 instead of twenty putting the effective cost of the player at 154. (That gift card feature is not online today so may be over.) I figured less than 30 bucks over the insignia, a no brainer.

Brought it home and hooked it up. Internet connection was a little troublesome to get it started, mostly because I didn't recognize that my connection was WPA and not WPA2. I kept trying WPA2. I don't know why but when I first connected my iphone and ipad both those devices recognized my network when I selected WPA2. A fairly knowledgeable guy at Panny CS walked me through getting into my router settings and getting it sorted out. Mostly my problem is that I don't use wireless that much at home, just the iphone and ipad, computer being hardwired. Once that was sorted out the player connected easily and prompted me for a firmware update. It was a pleasant surprise that even after the firmware update I didn't need to reenter my router information, it remembered. (I don't broadcast SSID so its a pain to reenter.) On another note the panny recognized about 3 neighbors unprotected wireless routers so it does a good job of seeing networks!!

Netflix set up was a breeze and within a couple of minutes after the FW update I could see my instant view que. A good signal connection was established with my wireless-G router. Not sure if I need to spring for an upgrade to N. Some reviewers have commented that they don't like the wireless adapter not being built into the player. I actually prefer it this way with the supplied USB extension. My player sits in a furntiture type tv cabinet and I like the idea of having the extension. I just ran the extension and the dongle sits out in the open on top of the player in front instead of buried deep in the cabinet. It would be nice to browse from the player, but I actually prefer using my computer or ipad to browse the instant que. Usually I know what I'm looking for and just use the search. Watched a half hour TV show on netflix and it came in good. I haven't yet tried anything HD quality.

As far as performance I tried a couple of BD discs. Dirty Harry a non java disc loaded and played in a few seconds. Star Trek 2009 was a little slow compared to my Oppo BDP-83, but nothing to get upset about. I was pleasantly surprised by the DVD upconversion. Reviewers, like cnet note some discrepancies compared to the oppo on certain tests, but in real world material on my LG47LH90, I think the Panny does a great job. I compared a a couple of DVDs in the panny and oppo and didn't see much if any difference. bigpicturesounds review was more glowing on the 85's dvd upconversion capability than cnet.

One review at bigpicturesound notes some impressive audio capabilities, which I may never explore. Currently the Oppo gets the job of being hooked to the Denon and Paradigm Studio 10s). The Oppo gets the job of the saturday night movie and music playback (CD and SACD). The panny occupys the role of netflix streaming and occasional movies where the reciever and speakers aren't used (late night movies or older movies with little or no need for high fidelity audio). I like the high clarity audio setting designed for those with direct tv hookups like I use with the panny. I had no complaints with the audio feed to my TV, sounding crisp and clear. 'Digital tube sound effects'
is a capability I'd like to perhaps explore in the future. IF that and the jitter purifier work as stated, I could see using this player as a dedicated cd player. For years I used a panny dvd player as a dedicated cd player.

All in all considering what I paid for it I'm pleasantly surprised by the capabilites of the Panny, some I'll never explore like advanced audio capabilites. Some reviews lament the archaic menu navigation of the panny and I guess if it were your main player you might lament a little at that. I don't. I have a Panny DVD recorder and upconverting player (EZ-27) and I guess I've gotten used to panny and how they lay out their menus as I find it intuitive.

One thing I'd like to fix I don't know how. On the network menu, I'd like to get rid of NY as the default top of the list on weather. I deleted the other cities and put in mine and others I have an interest in, but don't see anyway to get NY off the top and have mine be the top. Any ideas??

Lastly one complaint. Now I have another forum topic to check daily aside from the Oppo BDP-83 thread.
glangford is offline  
post #743 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Newbie
 
texas1040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to thread, but I've read most of the posts.

Set up new DMP-BD85K yesterday. Problems with networking.

Have been able to access Netflix and YouTube, but performance is abysmal. Netflix comes up showing 1 bar on quality, downloads for several seconds, and then either plays with poor quality (a few bars but not HD), puts up message box saying connection is slow, or aborts altogether.

Other possible symptoms - Pandora shows "service not available in this country", Weather says temporarily not available, Bloomberg slow to load, had a German news channel. Overall very sluggish responses.

Using WEP 128 "Shared" with wireless router, Netgear g access point. High speed DSL (12 Mbps). Moved wireless router right next to unit. Tried with and without USB extension. Tried direct connect to router via cable. No difference. Laptop accessing 50 feet away shows 40-80% signal strength - so the router and cabling up to the router seem OK.

Right now going directly into a few years old 720p Samsung display via HDMI.

It acts like there is a software switch set wrong somewhere. Any suggestions?

This was an upgrade from a Samsung P3600, which had great wireless Netflix performance, but poor BD and DVD play (DVD play so bad that I kept an older DVD player just to play DVDs).
texas1040 is offline  
post #744 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 24
you are not alone. there are some people having the same problem with the internet connection.

Jacob
Jacob305 is online now  
post #745 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1040 View Post

New to thread, but I've read most of the posts.

Set up new DMP-BD85K yesterday. Problems with networking.

Have been able to access Netflix and YouTube, but performance is abysmal. Netflix comes up showing 1 bar on quality, downloads for several seconds, and then either plays with poor quality (a few bars but not HD), puts up message box saying connection is slow, or aborts altogether.

Other possible symptoms - Pandora shows "service not available in this country", Weather says temporarily not available, Bloomberg slow to load, had a German news channel. Overall very sluggish responses.

Using WEP 128 "Shared" with wireless router, Netgear g access point. High speed DSL (12 Mbps). Moved wireless router right next to unit. Tried with and without USB extension. Tried direct connect to router via cable. No difference. Laptop accessing 50 feet away shows 40-80% signal strength - so the router and cabling up to the router seem OK.

Right now going directly into a few years old 720p Samsung display via HDMI.

It acts like there is a software switch set wrong somewhere. Any suggestions?

This was an upgrade from a Samsung P3600, which had great wireless Netflix performance, but poor BD and DVD play (DVD play so bad that I kept an older DVD player just to play DVDs).

It would seem that if you had a wired connection to your router that the choke point was somewhere in your router or upstream of your router, like cable modem or the like. A laptop showing 40-80% signal strength doesn't mean alot as the bandwidth for web pages is immmensley less than streaming video. Are you able to netflix stream adequately to you laptop? In not then the choke point is router or upstream of the router. If you are able to adequately stream netflix to your laptop, then you possibly have a bum panasonic unit.

That would be my recommendation, try streaming netflix to your laptop. I don't know of any sw switches I ran into in setting up my panasonic, other than recognizing the network.

For comparison, I had almost all bars except one in quality on my netflix streaming with my linksys wireless g router about 25-30 ft away going through one wall.

On another note, I live in a household of two with little to no other wireless use except occasionally for the iphone and ipad. Do you have alot of other wireless use going on at the same time?? Is something else drawing off part of the bandwidth. I do know with a high quality signal I had yesterday, my ipad was a little slow on the internet when netflix was running. So it is a bandwidth hog to stream video.
glangford is offline  
post #746 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 AM
Member
 
ejhayes76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
@glangford: Thanks for the tip about Sears. I canceled my pending BD85 Amazon order and will pick up the player today at the local Sears for less than Amazon. Amazon was taking forever to ship with free-shipping. I ordered it Monday and was still waiting for shipment on Friday.
ejhayes76 is offline  
post #747 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejhayes76 View Post

@glangford: Thanks for the tip about Sears. I canceled my pending BD85 Amazon order and will pick up the player today at the local Sears for less than Amazon. Amazon was taking forever to ship with free-shipping. I ordered it Monday and was still waiting for shipment on Friday.

The gift card part may be over, I don't see it on line anymore and updated my post accordingly. But still cheaper than amazon or equivalent with tax. You won't have to wait. Whenever I get free shipping with amazon, its like they let it sit around for a couple of days just because its free. If I pay for standard ground shipping it goes out in hours. Why couldn't it go out within a day for free shipping??
glangford is offline  
post #748 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 09:09 AM
Newbie
 
texas1040's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the response.

Little to no other wireless activity other than heartbeat stuff. Mostly the PC was just to confirm that the router was working, easy to do it.

Can stream Netflix at HD to my old Samsung P3600 in another room ~ 50 feet away.

Usually digital stuff either works or not, but I suppose there could be a poor connection inside the BD-85K unit.

I think my next step is change out all the cables, one at a time (: .

I suppose it could be a router compatibility problem, or WEP loading on microprocessor (I'm guessing there, but the users manual says the unit only support WAP and WAP2), but that seems unlikely too.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a "n" router, but putting it off due to the hassle of getting everything (3 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 printers) set up with it. From the comments here, that doesn't seem likely to solve the problem, but the routers a few years old. Might try that.
texas1040 is offline  
post #749 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1040 View Post

Thanks for the response.

Little to no other wireless activity other than heartbeat stuff. Mostly the PC was just to confirm that the router was working, easy to do it.

Can stream Netflix at HD to my old Samsung P3600 in another room ~ 50 feet away.

Usually digital stuff either works or not, but I suppose there could be a poor connection inside the BD-85K unit.

I think my next step is change out all the cables, one at a time (: .

I suppose it could be a router compatibility problem, or WEP loading on microprocessor (I'm guessing there, but the users manual says the unit only support WAP and WAP2), but that seems unlikely too.

I've been thinking about upgrading to a "n" router, but putting it off due to the hassle of getting everything (3 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 printers) set up with it. From the comments here, that doesn't seem likely to solve the problem, but the routers a few years old. Might try that.

You really shouldn't need an n router. g is 54 mbps. That should suffice. Manual says the unit should also support wep. You might try switching your router to wpa using tkip encryption. That is what I used. See if that is any different. I'd try that before the laborious task of switching cables out one by one. My linksys router is about 5 years old and aside from having to pull the power plug to reset it everynow and then, it works like a charm.
glangford is offline  
post #750 of 3234 Old 07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,772
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas1040 View Post


I've been thinking about upgrading to a "n" router, but putting it off due to the hassle of getting everything (3 laptops, 1 desktop, 2 printers) set up with it. From the comments here, that doesn't seem likely to solve the problem, but the routers a few years old. Might try that.

If I upgraded to a n router and used the same ssid and password along with wpa (all exact same router settings) would I need to have my devices set up with the new router, or would they think its still the old one??
glangford is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bd85k Wifi Enabled Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players , Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic 85 Professional 1080p Full Hd Plasma Display Th 85pf12u
Gear in this thread - P65v10 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off