Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1614 Old 11-12-2010, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the quick and clear response.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1614 Old 11-12-2010, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Today on Samsung's support site shows Version 1019 as the latest FW upgrade for the BD-C5500C.

When in doubt, do the right thing.
post #543 of 1614 Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 115
One bug in the new interface. I watched and then removed a movie earlier in my queue. That made all the rest of my listing descriptions from there on one off from the icon.
post #544 of 1614 Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
Today on Samsung's support site shows Version 1019 as the latest FW upgrade for the BD-C5500C.
I read elsewhere they haven't fixed netflix aspect ratio for non 16:9 content, and they still haven't fixed the 3 mkv issues I'm aware of... I wonder what they actually did fix?

All of these have been mentioned in this thread before, but these are the matroska issues I still have:

1)Subtitles (in the mkv) wont work at all. (Subtitles work fine if same file played on PC).
2)8 gig files on DVD+R DL report as being -1.0 Bytes and won't play all the way thru. Same file behaves normally thru Allshare. (Only tried 3 different movies but tried 3 different brands of discs).
3)1080p has weird video glitches that arent present if I play the same file on PC. (Note I've only tried 1 1080p cuz of the dual layer disc issue, but have played lots of 720p on single layer with no noticeable video glitches).
post #545 of 1614 Old 11-13-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez_a View Post

I'm having this same issue as well. I keep hoping that it will go away with a firmware update, but so far I have not been very lucky. I contacted Samsung once about and they had me restore the player back to factory condition. That fixed the problem for awhile but as soon as I linked my Netflix account and activated DivX the problem reemerged.

Is anyone else having this problem? The player freezes only on Blu-ray discs, and only after the movie has been paused long enough for the Samsung screen saver to pop-up. If someone else could test this to see if it happens to them as well I would appreciate it.

OMG. Same problem (with a c6500 model). Samsung had me do the same thing, but it hasn't permanently resolved the issue.

Anyone else have any ideas on how to fix?
post #546 of 1614 Old 11-13-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post

I got offered the update yesterday and proceeded to download it to the unit and it installed itself. I don't notice any differences yet but was pleased that I did NOT have to enter another code at the Netflix site.

BTW, I hooked up a 500GB external hard drive to the unit via USB and the difference in speed and responsiveness is astounding as compared to DLNA. It's fun to have full use of trick play as well with this connection. The only bug I have seen is that it inconsistently locks up when trying to access some of my older Digital Camera Videos. I theorize that these clips are so short that by the time the 'Preparing to Play' message appears the clip is over. Then it just hangs on 'Preparing to Play'. I could play a dozen clips from that camera without issue. The only thing to to when this happens to power off and on.

It's too bad also that we can't play DVD Video TS folders.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #547 of 1614 Old 11-13-2010, 05:14 PM

I had this with the 6500 this replaces ( done because our recessed cabinet just couldn't get decent wireless signal ) but Netflix displays but has no sound.

DVD/Blu-ray works fine with Audio out set to Bitstream Audiophile. Can Netflix just not deal with that output? Its kind of a pita.

Overall, I like the player and interface, but wired connection is even spotty. It seems on some bootups, it doesn't initialize internally, and I have to off/on.
post #548 of 1614 Old 11-14-2010, 12:17 PM

Recently got BD-C5500C + Samsung 32" 720p TV + Pioneer VSX-1020 Rx.
C5500C via HDMI to Rx. Rx to TV via HDMI.

I have tried a few blu-ray discs and don't see much, if any, difference in the video quality as compared to a standard DVD played on the same player.

Should there be an obvious difference? I think the player upconverts (not sure about the terminology) the standard DVD to near blu-ray quality. Does that really make the two kinds of discs look the same?

--Larry

Blu-ray discs I've tried: 2001: A Space Odyssey; Splice; Vertical Limit; Winter's Bone
post #549 of 1614 Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM

Ok, so last week I bought a refurbished BD-C5500 from Factory Direct in Hamilton, Ontario, based on what I had read on this thread. Despite some obvious complaints other owners have, I thought this player would be the perfect match for my large x264 MKV collection, and hard to go too wrong for only $100 CDN. It arrived with fairly recent firmware, and out of the box it played most of the MKV files I threw at it. Then, with some trepidation caused by the experiences of others on this thread, I upgraded to what was then the latest release, 1018.0. I couldn't get it to do an internet install, so I copied the RUF file to a CD-RW and upgraded the firmware from the loader.

As I feared, MKV support was severely impacted by the upgrade. After the upgrade the player would start to load the MKV files, but the timer display would stay stuck at 0:00 for maybe 20 or 30 seconds, before the player told me the file was an unsupported format. Only about one in ten of my MKV files would play with the new firmware, and many that played fine under the firmware that came with the unit suddenly became unplayable. Upgrading to 1019.0 didn't help. I knew for a fact that the video and audio formats in the MKV were supported formats on the C5500, so I started to wonder if the MKV container was somehow to blame. Most of my MKVs have been muxed with MkvToolnix MkvMerge, and all play perfectly on any PC I've tried them on. On a long shot, I remuxed them using AviMuxGui, which also supports writing to MKV files. Imagine my surprise when EVERY movie I remuxed this way suddenly played perfectly on my BD-C5500, even with the updated firmware. MkvMerge is the de facto standard for multiplexing MKV files, but the BD-C5500 doesn't seem to be able to read the containers it creates properly. Hopefully a later firmware release with address this. I haven't found any other practical MKV muxers to test, but I can state categorically that AviMuxGUI will produce acceptable MKV files for this player if the video and audio use supported codecs.

I know some others here are having trouble with this player choking on some of their media files, and I thought I'd pass this along in the hope that it helps others.
post #550 of 1614 Old 11-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetrax1 View Post

Hi, I have a Samsung BD-C5500 and a Xbox 360 hooked up to Netgear Wired router using 2 CAT 5 cables. I have Netflix. When I watch a video on the Samsung I sometimes get Buffering. When I switch directly over to the Xbox 360 and watch the same show to see if the Buffering happens it does not.

Is something wrong with my Samsung BD-C5500 player? It has the latest frimware intalled. I even switched the cables to see if that was it, but it is not. Could the Xbox somehow just be better at streaming video than the Samsung C5500? If so that would be a shame. I only bought the Samsung for the internet features it has.

Greetings,
I have the same problem. Bought the BD-C5500c and installed it. Watching netflix it hung twice to "rebuffer". I verified my internet many times by laptop on same cable. Finally took the unit back to Fry's for exchange. Hooked up and have same problem. Speed test on BD reports sometimes 2Gb/s and two minutes later 250Kb/s. Each time I quickly checked actual speed at 3MB/s. I finally re-installed my Roku box and that works fine with no drops. Hate to have the clutter though of more boxes, HDMI switches etc. Maybe Samsung can get their act together or I'll have to take it back to Fry's again and get from a product different manufacturer.
post #551 of 1614 Old 11-14-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans_wiggers View Post

Greetings,
I have the same problem. Bought the BD-C5500c and installed it. Watching netflix it hung twice to "rebuffer". I verified my internet many times by laptop on same cable. Finally took the unit back to Fry's for exchange. Hooked up and have same problem. Speed test on BD reports sometimes 2Gb/s and two minutes later 250Kb/s. Each time I quickly checked actual speed at 3MB/s. I finally re-installed my Roku box and that works fine with no drops. Hate to have the clutter though of more boxes, HDMI switches etc. Maybe Samsung can get their act together or I'll have to take it back to Fry's again and get from a product different manufacturer.

My BD-C5500C is connected to the internet via a Netgear powerplug adapter (sends ethernet through the house electrical wires). Streaming Netflix (and anything else) is flawless with no buffering. My internet is Comcast cable and sometimes runs up around 20Mbps but the Netgear homeplug connection is much slower than that.
--Larry
post #552 of 1614 Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM

I have firmware 1080.0 and here are my experiences with MKV:

Mkvmerge 4.0.0 and newer creates MKV files unplayable in the C5500, maybe because the updated libraries used in this version, the usual error "unsupported format" appears after several seconds. This can be due to missing tags in the files created in this new version.

Files created with Mkvmerge 3.4.0 from may 2010, play OK in the C5500, this is the last version in the 3.x series. I tested H264 video with multiple AC3 audio tracks without problems.

Still no embedded subtitles support.

Instead of Matroska, I'm considering the native blu-ray container or AVCHD authored with tsMuxer or multiAVCHD, because all the features works in the samsung: subtitles, chapters, menus, multiple audio tracks, etc. all in standard DVD-/+R
post #553 of 1614 Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM

It is not just the C5500 that doesn't like MKV files produced by recent versions of MkvMerge. Based on the previous post I decided to try remuxing one of my MKVs into an AVCHD container using tsMuxeR. If I drag-drop one of the MKVs that won't play on the Samsung into tsMuxeR it chokes too, but it accepts the same file fine if it has been remuxed as MKV with AviMuxGui. Looks like MkvMerge really broke something in the container with the recent releases.
post #554 of 1614 Old 11-15-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg View Post

Recently got BD-C5500C + Samsung 32" 720p TV + Pioneer VSX-1020 Rx.
C5500C via HDMI to Rx. Rx to TV via HDMI.

I have tried a few blu-ray discs and don't see much, if any, difference in the video quality as compared to a standard DVD played on the same player.

Should there be an obvious difference? I think the player upconverts (not sure about the terminology) the standard DVD to near blu-ray quality. Does that really make the two kinds of discs look the same?

--Larry

Blu-ray discs I've tried: 2001: A Space Odyssey; Splice; Vertical Limit; Winter's Bone

What distance are you watching at? It could be that your distance from the screen, coupled with the 32" screen size, limits the resolution of your eyesight so that the difference in resolution isn't apparent.

Here's a link to a good chart :

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter

Frank
post #555 of 1614 Old 11-15-2010, 08:34 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slarti Bartfast View Post

It is not just the C5500 that doesn't like MKV files produced by recent versions of MkvMerge. Based on the previous post I decided to try remuxing one of my MKVs into an AVCHD container using tsMuxeR. If I drag-drop one of the MKVs that won't play on the Samsung into tsMuxeR it chokes too, but it accepts the same file fine if it has been remuxed as MKV with AviMuxGui. Looks like MkvMerge really broke something in the container with the recent releases.

I took a MKV file which wouldn't play when streamed from my Mac running iSedora and put it on a USB thumb drive. It played without any problems that way on my C5500.

Bob
post #556 of 1614 Old 11-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg View Post

My BD-C5500C is connected to the internet via a Netgear powerplug adapter (sends ethernet through the house electrical wires). Streaming Netflix (and anything else) is flawless with no buffering. My internet is Comcast cable and sometimes runs up around 20Mbps but the Netgear homeplug connection is much slower than that.
--Larry

That's very interesting. Do you happen to know the manufacture date of your unit? Mine was manufactured in January 2010. Maybe they fixed it in later models. Would give me reason to go after Samsung ;-). Manufacture date shows up when you register the unit with Samsung. They figure it from the serial number (duh).
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Hans
post #557 of 1614 Old 11-16-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Here's a link to a good chart :

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter
That's kind of neat. By coincidence I'm within a couple feet of where I need to be even!

However I don't think the charts there are a good demonstration of what the resolutions actually look like. I whipped up my own chart for that a while ago, it's attached. I had to zip it because the board software was automatically scaling it down and thereby completely ruining it, the actual file size is only about 12KB. It shows the resolutions from 480 to 1080, nested within each other to show the difference between them. Anyone can use the image for any reason anywhere, attributed or otherwise, I don't care since the point is to quickly educate people as to the difference.

It's best shown on a 1080 or higher display so the differences are really highlighted, but even on a standard def screen (via a DVD player for instance) there will still be visual differences and it can be explained.

Instructions: Open the image, if on a computer hit F11 or whatever to make the image viewer go fullscreen to hide the window decorations. The text should be clear and crisp on a 1080 display, small and/or unreadable on a 480 display. Zoom in to the next color block and center on the text, noting the difference from before. Repeat all the way down to 480. Green is 1920x1080 (1080i/p), cyan is 1280x720, (720p) purple is 720x480 (widescreen standard def), and blue is 640x480 (standard def).

Everyone I've shown this to has had a moment of epiphany about what the display resolutions actually mean, and it's not chock full of complicated jargon (complicated to them that is) so it sticks.

res.png.zip 2.8330078125k . file

I stole your sig.
post #558 of 1614 Old 11-16-2010, 09:08 PM

Regarding the unplayable MKV in the C5500, I can confirm that the new feature "header removal compression" in mkvmerge is causing the problem, since version 4.0.0.

Here is the solution:

1) Download latest mkvmerge (4.4.0)
2) Go to menu File | Options
3) Activate "Disable header removal compression for audio an video tracks by default"
4) Mux your mkv's in the usual way.

There's a interesting thread in the doom9 forum about how this new feature (which is in the Matroska Specs) broke some players.

While Samsung implements this feature in the firmware, it's better to change the setting in the options as I described.
post #559 of 1614 Old 11-17-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorEl-mx View Post

Regarding the unplayable MKV in the C5500, I can confirm that the new feature "header removal compression" in mkvmerge is causing the problem, since version 4.0.0.

Here is the solution:

Great discovery. I had reverted to MkvMerge 3.4.0 to overcome this problem. Now I can go back to the latest version.
post #560 of 1614 Old 11-17-2010, 07:44 PM

Some have asked here whether any WiFi dongles other than the Samsung WIS09ABGN will work with this player. I've tried a Linksys and an Airlink 101 with no success. I was about to resign myself to buying the overpriced Samsung product when I came across this web forum that hints that some non-Samsung dongles may work...

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/rosew...9-99-a-845207/

The gist is that any dongle based on the Ralink 2870+2820 chipset should work, since that is what is used in the WIS09ABGN. Although the BD-C5500 is not specifically mentioned in this thread, several people have reported success on various Samsung TVs and players that normally use the WIS09ABGN.

After Googling the chipset I came across some more promising links, including this one about the Intellinet Wireless-N USB Adapter, where one commenter specifically says it works with the BD-C5500...

http://www.amazon.com/Alternative-Sa...sin=B0021LA1BE

Looks like we might be able to avoid paying the Samsung tax for a WiFi adapter for the BD-C5500. If anyone finds specific Ralink 2870+2820 based dongles that work with the C5500 how about posting them here so we can begin a list of compatible USB adapters?

A quick check at http://factorydirect.ca found the CenDyne JR300N (http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/CenDyne_JR300N) for only $20 CDN. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and try it.

UPDATE: Success!! I can confirm that the CenDyne JR300N works perfectly with the Samsung BD-C5500. The dongle was recognized as soon as I turned the player on, and I was able to easily connect to my Airlink 101 N Router with WPS (entering connection info manually is tedious due to the lack of a keyboard). So, the rule appears to be... if the dongle chipset is Ralink 2870+2820, you should be good to go with the BD-C5500, and probably with any other Samsung player or TV that expects the WIS09ABGN.
post #561 of 1614 Old 11-19-2010, 05:34 AM

Hi
I am not able to get audio while streaming Netflix. I saw this issue on CNET forum too. I have contacted Samsung support and talked to "Level-2". They
said that they may contact me in a day or two w/ a patch that I can try.

Did anyone else here have a similar issue and did Samsung ever sent out
a patch in the past?
post #562 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 AM

I'm considering getting this one and have some questions:

- Does it support NTFS supported hdd?
- Does it support external subtitles when playing an MKV through USB?
- Is there any need for any kind of encoding for playing mkv files?

Thanks
post #563 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribagorza View Post

I'm considering getting this one and have some questions:

- Does it support NTFS supported hdd?
- Does it support external subtitles when playing an MKV through USB?
- Is there any need for any kind of encoding for playing mkv files?

Thanks

Yes, NTFS is supported and works fine. This player displays an external sub file if the filename matches the MKV perfectly. That mean only a single sub file can be displayed, since switching between external sub files is not supported when playing MKVs. Internal (embedded) subs are NOT supported when playing MKVs (as of firmware 1019.0 anyway). I have yet to find any codecs in MKV files that won't play on this device, although very high bit rate movies at 1080p may stutter a bit. Be aware though that 4.x versions of MkvMerge can produce MKV containers unreadable by the BD-C5500 unless one of the options is changed from the default. See this thread for details.
post #564 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 09:34 AM

Thank you!

Another question? Is there any difference between this and the BD-C5300? If so, what is it?
post #565 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, NTFS is supported and works fine. This player displays an external sub file if the filename matches the MKV perfectly. That mean only a single sub file can be displayed, since switching between external sub files is not supported when playing MKVs. Internal (embedded) subs are NOT supported when playing MKVs (as of firmware 1019.0 anyway). I have yet to find any codecs in MKV files that won't play on this device, although very high bit rate movies at 1080p may stutter a bit. Be aware though that 4.x versions of MkvMerge can produce MKV containers unreadable by the BD-C5500 unless one of the options is changed from the default. See this thread for details.

Can you please clarify if your post applies to when you stream through media play, or if when you play from USB port, or both?
post #566 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

Can you please clarify if your post applies to when you stream through media play, or if when you play from USB port, or both?

I haven't had a chance yet to try streaming, my comments relate to playing files on burned CD/DVD/BD discs or via USB.
post #567 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Since my 5500 auto-upgraded to firmware version 1019 the other day I am unable to play most of the MKVs that worked fine before the change. Any ideas how to fix this?

Try as they might, they cannot steal your dreams.
post #568 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So what can I do about this: I have a folder with my video in it, the file is called "videoXYZ.mkv", I have three other .srt files in the same folder, they're called track1.srt, track2.srt, track3.srt. I assume they're subtitle files.

I assume you're saying I need only one srt file and it has to be called "videoXYZ.srt" Is there something I can do to make the subtitles work?
post #569 of 1614 Old 11-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

So what can I do about this: I have a folder with my video in it, the file is called "videoXYZ.mkv", I have three other .srt files in the same folder, they're called track1.srt, track2.srt, track3.srt. I assume they're subtitle files.

I assume you're saying I need only one srt file and it has to be called "videoXYZ.srt" Is there something I can do to make the subtitles work?

Exactly. If your video is called "videoXYZ.mkv", pick the SRT file you want to be displayed and rename it to "videoXYZ.srt", ensuring it is in the same folder or on the same disk as the MKV file. Unfortunately, the BD-C5500 does not allow you to switch subtitles on the fly.

There is an alternative if your MKV fits on a DVD5 or DVD9 disk... you can use tsMuxeR GUI to create an AVCHD layout then burn it to disk. AVCHD on the BD-C5500 fully supports multiple embedded audio and subtitle tracks. I haven't tried since I don't have a BD burner, but I assume that if your MKV is really big and you own a BD burner, that you could create an AVCHD or BluRay layout that fits on the bigger disk and plays properly on the Samsung with full audio and subtitle controls. Unfortunately, although you can copy the AVCHD layout to a USB stick or external drive, the BD-C5500 won't play it like it does from a disk so this only works for movies burned to a disk and played in the loader.

BTW... it doesn't matter if there are embedded subs in the MKV as well as the external one, they won't prevent playback of the video and audio, the Samsung player will just ignore them.
post #570 of 1614 Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 AM

Just got this player from Costco over the weekend to replace my 80gb PS3.
Player is a pleasant surprise. Its my first DLNA product. Only used to PS3 and XBOX 360 streaming, but both of those have their issues.

Although I find that this player can play streamed HD content (.mkv), I encounter an audio drop out or video stutter frequently during playback of a HD .mkv. Its connected via wired LAN connection, and using Samsung PC Share. Any ideas on improving this?

Tried using Serviio and TVersity, but have the typical connection errors of those that others report (unsupported format).
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page