Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2010, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
Do they work on all the wireless Samsung BRs and TVs?
Can't comment on that. The C5500 is the only Sammy device I have with the option.

I received the CenDyne stick this afternoon and can confirm that it was a painless setup and streamed the first 10 mins of Angels & Demons from Netflix with good picture and sound as a test. I had to reactivate my Netflix account, again, but beyond that, it was frustration free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 AM

Just got this player to replace an LG BD570 (the 570 had issues playing Toy Story 3 in 1080p/24fps). I hooked it up last night and downloaded the latest firmware. Tried NetFlix and I'm wondering if it's working the way it should. When I play NetFlix HD content on my Roku (and the LG when I still had it) I would get the four dots during initial buffering and then an "HD" would appear at the end. Tried a few HD titles in my instant queue and the Samsung never displayed the "HD".

So, am I not getting HD streaming from the Samsung? If so, is there a setting somewhere that I need to change or do I have a bad unit.

For the record, the Samsung is connected using the same cable/switch port that was used for the LG. The Roku is also connected to the same switch.

TIA
Old 12-07-2010, 08:22 AM

The Netflix interface did change with one of the recent updates and thus doesn't display the 'quality' when a movie is loading. All it shows now is a bar labeled "retrieving". As always your queue will indicate whether what you're watching is in HD or not.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Well the old interface would tell you whether you are getting HD or not with the buffering indicator. They've done away with it I suspect because they got pummeled by customers who would choose a video in HD and then didn't get it supplied that way even having the bandwidth for it. I think those emails where they ask you about the quality of a video was a test to see what they could get away with. Most of the SD streams I've watch appear to be 540p (PAL resolution) which is slightly better than 480p but it ain't HD.

And try playing a 2:35:1 movie (scope) or an old 4:3 academy ratio film which won't be presented in the proper aspect ration (instead academy is stretched and scope squeezed). So far they haven't fixed that bug with the player introduced when the Netflix app was updated. I've read the same aspect ratio bug occurred with other manufacturer's players but was quickly fixed with firmware updates.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

So I have PCSM installed and running and for the most part it is working. I have a couple of follow up questions for those that are familiar with the software.

1. All of the files I have "sharing" are AVI files yet a couple of them won't play. What am I missing here?

2. Do I have to resync the DB every time I shut my PC off? We don't leave our computer on all the time and the 5500 loses its sharing ability everyday which I suspect is from turn off the PC.

Thanks

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Well, I still have the Roku hooked up to the TV so I'm going to try side-by-side comparisons of the same HD streaming content from NetFlix. I don't like the fact that the HD notification isn't displayed -- what's the value in doing that?
Old 12-07-2010, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

1. All of the files I have "sharing" are AVI files yet a couple of them won't play. What am I missing here?

Depends on what the audio/video codecs are in the AVI container. Try mediainfo to see.
Quote:

2. Do I have to resync the DB every time I shut my PC off? We don't leave our computer on all the time and the 5500 loses its sharing ability everyday which I suspect is from turn off the PC.

Yes, PC needs to be on and PCSM running for you to stream from it.

Resyncing the database needs to be done everytime you add a new file to stream

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
Old 12-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Depends on what the audio/video codecs are in the AVI container. Try mediainfo to see.

Yes, PC needs to be on and PCSM running for you to stream from it.

Resyncing the database needs to be done everytime you add a new file to stream

That's a bummer. I have to re-sync even when I turn the PC off whether a file gets added or not. I guess I'll just continue to use my media player for this function.

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
Old 12-07-2010, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a bummer. I have to re-sync even when I turn the PC off whether a file gets added or not. I guess I'll just continue to use my media player for this function.

That shouldn't happen - I'm using mezzmo now. Much better than PCSM

Old 12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone seen any CC with the 5500 streaming Netflix? One title that my wife added (Julie & Julia) has CC available on the PS3. It's not available on the 5500 or the XBox 360 from what I can tell.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
Old 12-09-2010, 07:29 AM

Am correct in understanding that the 5500 will not play .iso video files via DLNA? Too bad I ripped all these DVDs to .iso.. What would be the easiest format to convert to that is supported by the 5500? I was thinking MKV..
Old 12-09-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt View Post

Am correct in understanding that the 5500 will not play .iso video files via DLNA? Too bad I ripped all these DVDs to .iso.. What would be the easiest format to convert to that is supported by the 5500? I was thinking MKV..

Correct - unless the server can transcode the ISO to a format that the 5500 supports.

Yes MKV a good choice just make sure you pick appropriate audio & video codecs.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:

Correct - unless the server can transcode the ISO to a format that the 5500 supports.

Yes MKV a good choice just make sure you pick appropriate audio & video codecs.

What codecs do you recommend? Unfortunately, the only computer I have right now is a laptop so the less CPU intensive the better. What (free) program would you recommend? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I personally use RipBot with Profile High 4.0 and MKV container it outputs AVC(MPEG-4) video and AC-3 audio. But its slooooowwwwww but great results.

I've also used Handbrake but always felt it reduced quality.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Can anyone confirm if the C5500 outputs from both HDMI and the AV Out (Y/R/W) simultaneosly?

Reason is I have a small SD flatpanel in bathroom that be good the be able to pass whatevers playing on the C5500 to.

Reading manual I think it does. [P31] but be good if someobe is able to confirm before I order a 50+ ft cable.

Not sure about AV Out but it does work wiht HDMI and component video simultaneously. Haven't tried with 50+ ft cable though
Old 12-09-2010, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czajunia View Post

Not sure about AV Out but it does work wiht HDMI and component video simultaneously. Haven't tried with 50+ ft cable though

I'll find out over weekend

Old 12-10-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:

I'll find out over weekend

Mind you it changes component video output signal frequency when connecting both and that distorts image quite a bit - component only, HDMI looks fine. For some reason I haven't noticed this before. Then again, it may not be the case with AV output and even if it is it may look good on your TV.

Let us know if it works for you.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:03 PM

I have both connected to my LCD and have no problems. Sometimes poorly converted files look better on component.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster72 View Post

or does anyone know ways to combine mkv's?

try mkvmerge...
Old 12-10-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by czajunia View Post

Mind you it changes component video output signal frequency when connecting both and that distorts image quite a bit - component only, HDMI looks fine. For some reason I haven't noticed this before. Then again, it may not be the case with AV output and even if it is it may look good on your TV.

Let us know if it works for you.

OK, so ran the AV (Y/R/W) and works althou it does compress 16:9 into 4:3 but fine for its purpose.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Yes, please help with Windows 7 stream setup. The video help guide from samsung seems to show a screen from an older firmware. I have 1019, and it seems to automatically find computers on the network, but it's not finding the files within the folders or saying that the file type is incompatible.

Thank you in advance,
Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestroteague View Post

Highside,
I wanted to let you know that you have other options as well.
1. First, if you have Windows 7, you can stream without having to use the Samsung software. It works wonderfully, and is fairly easy to set up. If that fits you, let me know, and I'll try to walk you through the steps. If you're not using Windows 7, then disregard
2. This may sound obvious to most, but as you've said that you're new at this, I'll state the obvious. If you've only got a few AVI files from your brother that you're wanting to use, the easiest way would be to put them on a USB flash drive or external hard drive. Even though I have my player connected via ethernet and usually stream video, there are times (when the computer is being used or the TV tuner is recording and I don't want to bog the computer down, especially when the dual tuner is recording two separate programs) that I'll just copy a show to a flash drive and plug it in the front of the machine instead. It plays with better quality from the flash drive (video starts to stutter sometimes when streaming if the computer is being used for other tasks simultaneously, especially hard drive intensive tasks while also trying to read the drive to stream the movie). Now if you're planning to get more into this and have lots of files, this method may not be best, but if all you're watching are a few files, then I'd go with this method.

Good luck! Enjoy that thing - you've paid for it.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc0000 View Post

Yes, I have a similar issue. No, Samsung is not fixed it.

I have had the audio-loss problem since the recent firmware upgrade that changed the interface. Sometimes I can stream movies from Netflix and the audio will play. Other times I get no audio at all.

I talked to Netflix, both level I and level II support. They blame it on Samsung. Netflix has no explanation for why a hardware problem would cause the audio to work on some evenings but not others, when there has no change to the hardware or the setup.

Samsung says the hardware is fine and that it is obviously a Netflix software problem. Both refused to talk to the other with me on the line on a three-way call. How long have we heard this old story where the software vendor blames the hardware vendor and vice versa? Both said repeatedly that they were "concerned," that they "wanted to help," that they were "intent on resolving the problem," etc. My view: Actions speak louder than words. Stupid is as stupid does.

While I was on the phone I asked them about the reactivation problem. They told me that it is a common problem and it has not yet been solved. Both the level I and level II rep had no explanation for why after seven months the Netflix database cannot identify a piece of hardware specifically designed to have a unique identifier in the hardware. In the 571 previous posts on this thread nobody has reported that any other content provider has had any problem recognizing the unique identifier. Samsung, what complete amateurs.

I'm tempted to simply take the Samsung player back under warranty.

I have the same audio issues related to Netflix. I have found two quick ways to deal with it. I have my 5500 set on bitstream (re-encode). If I turn on the player and go directly to netflix, audio doesn't work. But if I first go to the audio settings, toggle to a different setting (such as PCM) and then toggle back to bitstream (re-encode), the sound works.

It will also work if I turn on the player and then go to pandora or vudu before going to Netflix. Hope this helps. Wish netflix/samsung would solve the issue so this would not be necessary.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Just turning the player off and then on again after watching a DVD or BD works for me. Otherwise there will be no audio on Netflix. Settings are for bitstream. And we're still waiting for a firmware update from Samsung to fix the aspect ratio problem on SD titles. It's been well over a month since first reported.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM

Well this is my AV research site.... I gather this player would not make a very good Christmas gift, EH?

Dan M
"If you don;t know where you're going, any road will take you there." G. Harrison.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
My power light blinks now when I turn it on and the player is acting funny. This started right before and now after the most recent firmware update. Anyone else have this or know why this happens? thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm3801 View Post
Well this is my AV research site.... I gather this player would not make a very good Christmas gift, EH?
I have 5 of these and no major issues...... every player out there has some kind of issue so if your waiting to find a issue-less player your in for a wait.
The only real issues with this player seems to :

- Netflix SD 4:3 content stretched to 16:9
- Neflix losing registration

Both these will eventually be fixed I sure!

These players can be picked up circa $100 and are packed with features..... bargin!

Old 12-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
I have 5 of these and no major issues...... every player out there has some kind of issue so if your waiting to find a issue-less player your in for a wait.
The only real issues with this player seems to :

- Netflix SD 4:3 content stretched to 16:9
- Neflix losing registration

Both these will eventually be fixed I sure!

These players can be picked up circa $100 and are packed with features..... bargin!
Any of yours with a blinking power light?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM

I played the Blu Ray Inception disc. For much of the movie there was a sound/video sync mismatch.
Anyone else have this problem?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rljo View Post

Yes, please help with Windows 7 stream setup. The video help guide from samsung seems to show a screen from an older firmware. I have 1019, and it seems to automatically find computers on the network, but it's not finding the files within the folders or saying that the file type is incompatible.

Thank you in advance,
Bob

I'm interested in how to make it work directly with Windows 7 too. I've had it work sporadically when I set it up, but found that PCSM works all the time. But if Windows 7 can work consistently I'll remove PCSM from my system.

When I do run PCSM I have to start it manually. Although auto-start with Windows is checked, it doesn't. When i start it manually I get a pop-up from Windows UAC warning me that the program is from an unknown source and asking if I want to proceed. That may be what keeps it from auto-starting.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

Any of yours with a blinking power light?

No - have you tried a full reset? If after that you still have issue I'd contact samsung or return to where you purchased (if still under warrenty)

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player