Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1614 Old 01-19-2011, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I don't see any such problem playing downloaded TV episode xvid avi files from a USB flash drive. You can probably only get real feedback on an issue like this if you post specific details of the file, particularly the resolution and data rate, and your media type (e.g., USB flash drive? Fast or slow?).

Thanks for the help.
Here is the info about one of the files:

Format : AVI
Format/Info : Audio Video Interleave
File size : 175 MiB
Duration : 22mn 0s
Overall bit rate : 1 111 Kbps
Writing application : MEncoder SVN-r32669-4.3.2
Writing library : MPlayer

Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Bit rate : 969 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 352 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.184
Stream size : 153 MiB (87%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

Audio
ID : 1
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Codec ID : 55
Codec ID/Hint : MP3
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 128 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 20.4 MiB (12%)
Alignment : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration : 24 ms (0.58 video frame)
Interleave, preload duration : 548 ms

As i said before, it happens after some comercial breaks, i tried in an other player from a friend of mine and the same problem happens.
It doesen´t happen on all files though.
The media i´m using, i´ve tried an USB flash drive and a HHD Drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1614 Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by menma View Post

Bit rate : 969 Kbps
i tried in an other player from a friend of mine and the same problem happens.

That video bit rate is not very high, so it's unlikely to be a read performance problem.

If you tried it in another player and the video has the same problem, that tells you that the problem is in the way the file was encoded, not in the playback. I suspect from your description that the program that did the original encoding wasn't able to keep up with the real time video stream when there was a sudden change in scene requiring more data to be encoded, and it dropped frames.
post #813 of 1614 Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:

That video bit rate is not very high, so it's unlikely to be a read performance problem.

If you tried it in another player and the video has the same problem, that tells you that the problem is in the way the file was encoded, not in the playback. I suspect from your description that the program that did the original encoding wasn't able to keep up with the real time video stream when there was a sudden change in scene requiring more data to be encoded, and it dropped frames.

Sorry my bad, i didnt explain correctly.
I tried in another player but it´s the same as mine (BD-C5500)
And i tried in some weaker players (mitsai etc...) and there was no problem, the episode played smoothly all the way through.
It doesent always happen, only in some files, and always after the cut of the commercials break.
post #814 of 1614 Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

I was watching a MP4 video streamed from my Mac and the video was nearly a second behind the audio. When I watch the same file on the computer, there is no delay. I haven't seen this on other MP4 files and wondered if anyone knows why there would be a difference.

Bob
post #815 of 1614 Old 01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn View Post

I was watching a MP4 video streamed from my Mac and the video was nearly a second behind the audio. When I watch the same file on the computer, there is no delay. I haven't seen this on other MP4 files and wondered if anyone knows why there would be a difference.

Poss a bit rate issue? Maybe compare with other MP4's that don't have the issue.

I've had issues on 'some' files but if I recoded them they work fine..... don't know root cause thou.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #816 of 1614 Old 01-20-2011, 01:32 PM

Just got a BDC5500 today. We tried out the newest Magnavox player from walmart but returned it after a few weeks. Like 5 minute loading for regular movies, seemed like 10 or more on Disney releases. The new player shocked us as Beauty and the beast was playing in less then a minute. Picture looks much improved as well. Blacks and colour specifically.

Has played every MP4/MKV we have thrown at it(720p, 1080p) and they look pretty nice. Nice player especially since we only payed 90CDN for it. Looks slick too.
post #817 of 1614 Old 01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know if it had to do with the recent update or not but I don't recall the PS3MediaServer I'm running off an old desktop working with the 5500. I was pleased to find that music, videos and pictures were playing reliably from this server! Even videos stored on an external hard drive were accessible and played reliably. Videos included .mp4, .avi and .wmv I don't have mkvs. It didn't play .iso files. The PS3 does this using PS3MediaServer.

PS3MediaServer is great because you don't need to specify folders and it's updated in real time. You can basically browser your whole PC through your client and locate your media. (No lengthy refresh) Plus, it's free.

This is great. I used to run Tversity on that machine but after upgrading it to Windows 7, Tversity would never finish updating it's database. Of course the 5500 never worked with TVersity. I was running it for other clients. Now using PS3MediaServer, I have access to all the media on that machine through the 5500 for the first time.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #818 of 1614 Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGreen321 View Post

Just got a BDC5500 today. We tried out the newest Magnavox player from walmart but returned it after a few weeks. Like 5 minute loading for regular movies, seemed like 10 or more on Disney releases. The new player shocked us as Beauty and the beast was playing in less then a minute. Picture looks much improved as well. Blacks and colour specifically.

Has played every MP4/MKV we have thrown at it(720p, 1080p) and they look pretty nice. Nice player especially since we only payed 90CDN for it. Looks slick too.

Glad you're enjoying the 5500. Hope it continues to work well for you.

post #819 of 1614 Old 01-22-2011, 08:40 PM

Does anyone know if there is a code to program a Vizio soundbar?
post #820 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 06:31 AM

Have a Samsung BD-P1600 that stopped playing some Blu ray titles after a firmware update. Picked up a really cheap BD-C5500 open box at BB to use until (hopefully) a new firmware update fixes the 1600. I paid for the wireless dongle for the 1600 so even though I was hesitant to get another Samsung, I wanted to try and salvage that investment and keep using Netflix. Thankfully, so far the 5500 plays all my Blu Rays and Netflix without any problems. My question is there is a firmware update available for the 5500 that I am hesitant to do as it is working fine as is. Any reported issues with the upgrade?
Thanks.
post #821 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsjav View Post

Have a Samsung BD-P1600 that stopped playing some Blu ray titles after a firmware update. Picked up a really cheap BD-C5500 open box at BB to use until (hopefully) a new firmware update fixes the 1600. I paid for the wireless dongle for the 1600 so even though I was hesitant to get another Samsung, I wanted to try and salvage that investment and keep using Netflix. Thankfully, so far the 5500 plays all my Blu Rays and Netflix without any problems. My question is there is a firmware update available for the 5500 that I am hesitant to do as it is working fine as is. Any reported issues with the upgrade?
Thanks.

I did the update and I'm having issues with Disney BR. I have to check if it happens with other discs. I get sound drops at chapter changes. Not at every chapter but when it happens its exactly at chapter changes. I watched cars in TrueHD and a couple of times sound would not even come back after the drop! I had to rewind to get the sound back.
Does anyone here actually use this thing to... I don't know... WATCH BLU-RAYS! You come here for help and all you get is people talking about 50 file formats and whatnot. Can't even get info on disc playbacks and if the firmware upgrade does more bad then good
post #822 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonj64 View Post

I did the update and I'm having issues with Disney BR. I have to check if it happens with other discs. I get sound drops at chapter changes. Not at every chapter but when it happens its exactly at chapter changes. I watched cars in TrueHD and a couple of times sound would not even come back after the drop! I had to rewind to get the sound back.
Does anyone here actually use this thing to... I don't know... WATCH BLU-RAYS! You come here for help and all you get is people talking about 50 file formats and whatnot. Can't even get info on disc playbacks and if the firmware upgrade does more bad then good

This is my first blu ray player and my first Samsung product. I've done every update with no problems.
post #823 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsjav View Post

Thanks.

Haven't had any problems with Disney or any other BD's since the update, and it fixes a problem with Netflix.
post #824 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 05:10 PM

I recently purchased this Blu Ray DVD player along with a 46" Samsung LED TV (UN46C6300). For those of you who are familiar with samsung products and their new line of TV's they come with a feature called "Auto Motion Plus" - also known as the soap opera effect. I personally think it looks horrible so I obviously went to turn it off. I found the option on the TV menu and successfully got it to turn off for watching my cable but when I pair up the BD-C5500 and play a non Blu Ray disk or stream a movie via netflix it defaults to this annoying setting. I cannot find how to turn it off in my blu ray settings and would like any help anyone can offer. Im dying here!
post #825 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigar22 View Post

I cannot find how to turn it off in my blu ray settings and would like any help anyone can offer. Im dying here!

The TV setting is probably independent per input. Make sure you are on the HDMI input used for the Blu-Ray player and turn it off again.
post #826 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:

The TV setting is probably independent per input. Make sure you are on the HDMI input used for the Blu-Ray player and turn it off again.

It worked..... Thanks amesdp!
post #827 of 1614 Old 01-23-2011, 08:11 PM

I have just purchased this BR player. Set to audiophile audio. when playing netflix no sound. go to pandora then back to netflix and there is sound. anyone else have this problem?? real anoying. If you leave it on PCM then it plays sound rigth from the get go but then i have to switch back to audiophile everytime i want to play a BR.
post #828 of 1614 Old 01-24-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1zaul View Post

I have just purchased this BR player. Set to audiophile audio. when playing netflix no sound. go to pandora then back to netflix and there is sound. anyone else have this problem?? real anoying. If you leave it on PCM then it plays sound rigth from the get go but then i have to switch back to audiophile everytime i want to play a BR.

Recollect others have experienced this - suggest reporting to Samsung and hopefully they will fix.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #829 of 1614 Old 01-24-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

I don't know if it had to do with the recent update or not but I don't recall the PS3MediaServer I'm running off an old desktop working with the 5500. I was pleased to find that music, videos and pictures were playing reliably from this server! Even videos stored on an external hard drive were accessible and played reliably. Videos included .mp4, .avi and .wmv I don't have mkvs. It didn't play .iso files. The PS3 does this using PS3MediaServer.

PS3MediaServer is great because you don't need to specify folders and it's updated in real time. You can basically browser your whole PC through your client and locate your media. (No lengthy refresh) Plus, it's free.

This is great. I used to run Tversity on that machine but after upgrading it to Windows 7, Tversity would never finish updating it's database. Of course the 5500 never worked with TVersity. I was running it for other clients. Now using PS3MediaServer, I have access to all the media on that machine through the 5500 for the first time.

hey mikeny what update are you running on the 5500? Thanks for sharing your find because I will look into PS3MediaServer myself.
post #830 of 1614 Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halokilla77 View Post

hey mikeny what update are you running on the 5500? Thanks for sharing your find because I will look into PS3MediaServer myself.

I'm running BSP-C5500WWB-1020.1

Yeah, check it out and see how it goes. It's simple to install. However, I noticed over the last couple days that it is not showing all of my folders in each directory. It has them alphabetized from A-C in one folder and from A-E in another and it stops. Hmm. I'll reboot the PC and see if that helps.

There are some nuances like some clients can't go a certain number of folders deep so it may be necessary to move some stuff around.

post #831 of 1614 Old 01-24-2011, 06:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 612
I'm trying to get onboard with media sharing/streaming with the BD-C5500 and having mixed results. Which program are you using and having good success with?

I have been trying both Windows Media Player and Samsung PC Share Manager with my desktop (which I plan to make the main storage unit on my LAN) and my laptop and am a bit discouraged. I don't think I'm having any firewall issues and believe I have all of the devices and files appropriately shared but the 5500 still isn't seeing most of the compatible files out there and PCSM will just up and stop out of nowhere. I have ripped some DVDs and other video files successfully and played them but I can't seem to get any of my mp3 and mp4 files to show up, though all of their folders are there.

I'm guessing this is because I don't have it "right" yet but I'm not sure where to turn to straighten this out. Any thoughts?

"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye." - 2001:ASO
post #832 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm using Serviio for sharing but online streaming is scheduled for a future release.
TVersity can be made to work, but it doesn't seem to work well "out of the box".

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #833 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Has anyone noticed a reduction in image quality when streaming netflix since the latest firmware update? My blu-rays look spectacular but I am noticing zone weird issues when I stream netflix. Fast moving "panning" scenes create a stutter effect. For example if the camera is panning across a landscape, the image is not smooth. It stutters, almost like a frame processing or refresh rate issue. I have played around with the 240hz automotion plus settings on my Samsung LN46B750 and it's still there. Also tried turning BD-wise off and it had no effect. I also see a strange effect where patterns (like a flannel shirt) will sort of flicker, like switching between light and dark. Not very extreme, just annoying. I think the video quality of the 1st gen netflix app was better...
post #834 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

TVersity can be made to work, but it doesn't seem to work well "out of the box".

How do you get TVersity to work? I'm using serviio now as well, but I couldn't get TVersity to work at all with the Samsung. I also gave PS3MediaServer a try, but it doesn't work well with the Samsung Blu-Ray player - it does sort-of work, but it crashes/freezes/loses connection frequently.
post #835 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny View Post

I'm running BSP-C5500WWB-1020.1

Yeah, check it out and see how it goes. It's simple to install. However, I noticed over the last couple days that it is not showing all of my folders in each directory. It has them alphabetized from A-C in one folder and from A-E in another and it stops. Hmm. I'll reboot the PC and see if that helps.

There are some nuances like some clients can't go a certain number of folders deep so it may be necessary to move some stuff around.

For the C5500's sake I broke my videos folder up into 'folder 1,' 'folder 2', etc. I put no more than 20 folders in each folder. After doing this, I was able to see all of my media. However, it kept disconnecting. Perhaps there was some refreshing going on because later on, several hours later, I had no problems.

It's weird though. All the folders had been shown with the PS3 without me creating all these subfolders. Still, it's better than nothing.

post #836 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

I am using iSedora on a Mac with pretty good results (a few videos won't play, but most do). There is also a Windows version at http://www.isedora.com. One thing I like about this software is that new files will show up immediately (with EyeConnect I needed to stop and restart the server).

Bob
post #837 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldt View Post

Has anyone noticed a reduction in image quality when streaming netflix since the latest firmware update? My blu-rays look spectacular but I am noticing zone weird issues when I stream netflix. Fast moving "panning" scenes create a stutter effect. For example if the camera is panning across a landscape, the image is not smooth. It stutters, almost like a frame processing or refresh rate issue. I have played around with the 240hz automotion plus settings on my Samsung LN46B750 and it's still there. Also tried turning BD-wise off and it had no effect. I also see a strange effect where patterns (like a flannel shirt) will sort of flicker, like switching between light and dark. Not very extreme, just annoying. I think the video quality of the 1st gen netflix app was better...

The latest update shows Netflix movies in the Original Aspect Ratio, so that is a big improvement. I haven't noticed the other problems you mentioned being any more noticeable than in the past. Watched a Netflix movie the other night and one of the characters was wearing a plaid shirt that was a good candidate for a moire pattern but it was fine.
post #838 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Netflix uses Microsoft's Silverlight VC-1 encoding so I went to the Silverlight web site and downloaded their free encoder to experiment with streams. For streaming it will produce by default several streams which can be switched between given either demand or the bandwidth of the user. You can of course also customize how many streams and their bitrates.

I've watched an HD stream on my computer which started out with SD and then by selecting HD would show "buffering HD" and then once buffered seamlessly switch to the HD stream. I've seen the same effect but usually in reverse with their app on the 5500. In some cases I've stopped and restarted and gotten the HD stream back again. My research also show by popping the stats up during the Silverlight playback on the computer that the HD stream is always around 4 mbps well below my average DSL service at 6 mbps or 5 mbps average.

The other day I looked for new Internet apps and notice they have added Vimeo so installed it. Still waiting for the Amazon app so I might trim some of my cable bill.
post #839 of 1614 Old 01-25-2011, 06:52 PM

I see a post mentioning Silverlight from Microsoft. I received a notification of updates and it was there as a option. Now I know what is it for. As to Netflix, my daughter was here recently and she has the monthly thing for $7.99. She logged in on her laptop and put a code or whatever in my 5500. We watched a couple of movies and beautiful picture and sound. A couple of days later I checked and it must still be there and watched the move "Taking of Pelham 123". This had plenty of action and never missed a beat and the sound blew me away. In my old age I am slowing down and my old head cannot keep up with all the new stuff coming. I was bragging about the 5500 to a friend and he bought one at BB. He called and said it did not work with netflix very well. I told him he needed to update the latest drivers. He had a router and talked him through connecting a cable to it. No problem connecting and got the update. He called and says he is taking my wife and I to Logan's for a steak dinner. The word spreads and sumsung's 5500 have been selling very well. Not bad for an old codger like me. I am still in awe of what is going on the home entertainment industry. On E cycle day at the city dump I see many many old CRT sets hopefully going to recycle.
post #840 of 1614 Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 AM

I just tried the BD-Live option on the Resident Evil Afterlife disc and I got the message that I did not have enough memory to download media. I am using a WD 500g HD plugged into the USB port and it had around 250G of free space and then tried a 16g flash with about 8G freespace, I have the latest firmware. Can I get some help with that
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com