AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread

476K views 2K replies 365 participants last post by  zrdb 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new thread for the Samsung BD-C5500C Blu-Ray Player I recently (3-13) purchased at Costco.

I bought this because of its internet connection options. I have just updated the firmware dated 3-15.

I've watched one movie, The Hurt Locker, without incident. I've used it for several hours with Netflix and it works better than my PS3 which I use in my bedroom.

Also I have use it to watch my DivX videos that I have stored on two Windows machines. One is running Vista and the other Windows 7. This is also working better than the PS3.

I'd like to use it to watch the upcoming NCAA basketball games (if possible) and major league baseball games also streamed on the net.

If anyone has suggestions of how I set that up, please let me know.

Samsung has a winner here if the connection to net streaming options are easy to use.

Hdtvman,

Royal Oak, MI

See less See more
#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10mh /forum/post/18375792

I purchased a Samsung c5500 yesterday and tried multiple mp4s through the usb port and received an error stating the audio codec wasn't supported. The audio codec used is AAC and manual states that it is supported. The only thing I can come up with is the fact that I am using AAC 6 channel and maybe the player only supports 2 channel. Anyone else having an issue similar to this?

BTW, I updated the firmware to the 3/23/2010 release.

I tested a few MP4 files and they all worked before I did the firmware update. Now i get the Not Supported Audio Codec message. Its a firmware issue. I have several MP4 one with 6 channels and one with 2, but the same result. Since I bought this last week, I'm seriously debating on returning and picking up another one with the old firmware.

#55 ·
If any moderators are watching, perhaps this thread could be merged into the BC-C6500 thread, since it was started earlier and the two players have all but a few features in common.

#56 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by game007 /forum/post/18381420

can you use NTFS usb drives on the c5500??? or not???

absolutely! verified with 640GB seagate 2.5" external USB drive pre-formatted with NTFS... worked flawlessly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by game007 /forum/post/18388288

how is the noise of the c5500 when playing dvd or Blur ray ?

i have nothing to compare to in terms of BluRay disks playing since i've never had a BluRay player before but in comparison to my philips dvp-3982 DVD player it's somewhat noisy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside /forum/post/18382859

Is anyone else willing to share their Internet@TV speed test results? I'm not at my BD player right now but it's under the settings of course.

I'm getting 2.4Mbps.

I just "chatted" with a Samsung tech and they said I needed a minimum of 5.0Mbps to be able to stream HD.

i've got about 1.8Mbps... watched Surrogates from vudu with no problem... i have to tell you though that i used HD not HDX format in vudu... i suppose HD is 720 whereas HDX is 1080. but again with HD it was absolutely OK. btw, if anyone is interested, i'm connected to local network through netgear powerline adaptor....

#57 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkass /forum/post/18388721

I tested a few MP4 files and they all worked before I did the firmware update. Now i get the Not Supported Audio Codec message. Its a firmware issue. I have several MP4 one with 6 channels and one with 2, but the same result. Since I bought this last week, I'm seriously debating on returning and picking up another one with the old firmware.

I actually bought the 5500 and then updated it before trying any mp4s. However, I have the exact same issue as you. Audio codec not supported on 2 and 6 channel AAC.

Anyone else experiencing this?

#58 ·
I picked up a 5500 the other day and it updated the firmware that night. Some MP4 with AAC will play audio and others will not. Of two files both have 44K sampling but different bitrates and different encoders used. So I'm wondering if it may be picky about encoders or bitrates. I'll have to try some more. It plays my Aiptek AHD 1080p files okay remuxed to an MPG container. I wonder why they just don't support QuickTime or does Apple make a fuss about that? There isn't much difference between a QT contrainer and an MP4. Since Samsung sells camcorders with AVCHD which have AAC audio they would want to support those in their players.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad /forum/post/18398908

I picked up a 5500 the other day and it updated the firmware that night. Some MP4 with AAC will play audio and others will not. Of two files both have 44K sampling but different bitrates and different encoders used. So I'm wondering if it may be picky about encoders or bitrates. I'll have to try some more. It plays my Aiptek AHD 1080p files okay remuxed to an MPG container. I wonder why they just don't support QuickTime or does Apple make a fuss about that? There isn't much difference between a QT contrainer and an MP4. Since Samsung sells camcorders with AVCHD which have AAC audio they would want to support those in their players.

Odd. I'm going to pick up a new 5500 and see if my mp4s play before running the update. I looked through the support section on samsung's website and had not seen anyone mention this. Hopefully, they are are aware of the issue.

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jus10mh /forum/post/18406031

Just picked up a fresh c5500 and tried multiple mp4s without updating the firmware. Video and audio on all worked flawlessly. Guess I'm going to hold off on updating until this issue gets sorted out.

Glad, to hear you got it going. yea I spoke to Samsung support and they seem to be clueless or acted clueless about this problem. The support person then proceeded to tell me I shouldn't have updated the firmware if I didn't have any issues. *sigh* seriously?...

anyways, yea I was going to exchange my machine this last weekend, but got side track so I'll find some time this week. Hopeful it has the old firmware.

#62 ·
Just got the C5500 last night, Netflix, Pandora, & Accuweather work fine, but I couldn't get rovi tv guide listing to work. It told me to try again after inputting zip code. Has anyone gotten rovi to work?

1st look: Netflix HD quality was good, about equal to 720p (certainly not blu-ray quality), but sd movie quality was below dvd quality in my opinion. (Firmware update from ver. 4 to 8 out the box.) I will be trying allshare soon.

Has anyone compared Netflix quality on the C550 to a Sony S370/S470?

#63 ·
hey i got a mail from samsung i as then about c5500 ntfs support!

anwser is:

both usb connect spupport Fat32 and NTFS hd fully till 250gb!!!!and that extrenal hd must have own ac/dc connection, becuase the usb does not support this!!!

so wath does this mean ? no higher hd as 250gb can be used????

pls let me know!!!

also very few say that the player drive is realy noisy in playback and insert!!!is this right???????

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by game007 /forum/post/18415093

pls let me know!!!

That sounds like it means that max 250GB via a USB connected external HD. I'm sure this does not apply to a network connected HD/Media Server.

Quote:

also very few say that the player drive is realy noisy in playback and insert!!!is this right???????

I can't say I noticed this player being noisy during insertion of disc or playback.... but the player is in a closet and not out in open to hear.

I will say I'm impressed with the start up speed and how quick it plays DVD/BR. Much better than the BD-P1500 I had.

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA /forum/post/18418235

That sounds like it means that max 250GB via a USB connected external HD. I'm sure this does not apply to a network connected HD/Media Server.

I can't say I noticed this player being noisy during insertion of disc or playback.... but the player is in a closet and not out in open to hear.

I will say I'm impressed with the start up speed and how quick it plays DVD/BR. Much better than the BD-P1500 I had.

I have plugged a 500 GB external HD unto the front USB and not had any problems. So my guess is the rep didn't know what they were talking about.

#67 ·

Quote:

hey i got a mail from samsung i as then about c5500 ntfs support!

anwser is:

both usb connect spupport Fat32 and NTFS hd fully till 250gb!!!!and that extrenal hd must have own ac/dc connection, becuase the usb does not support this!!!

this only proves a complete incompetency of samsung support team... i myself have had a chance to speak to a level II(!!!) support rep over the phone... what can i say - totally useless... i was trying to get an answer to a simple as it seemed to me question... whether embedded subtitles are supported for MKV files when played from USB drive... you know what was the answer? you wouldn't believe in this but what she said was exactly: only if USB supports it!!! can you imagine this??? and then she took a pause and added (prepare for this).... you can also try another USB!!!

-huh???
i was speechless!!!

so... my advice would be to leave their support alone
it's just a waste of time... none of the real questions get answered!

as for the size limit of the hard drive connected via USB i can repeat what i have posted earlier - i have had no problem whatsoever playing media files off the NTFS formatted Seagate FreeAgent 640Gb 2.5" external drive connected to either front or rear USB... and as you may already know 2.5" external drives don't come with external power adaptor... they get powered via USB circuit... say hello to support on my behalf if you decide to.

#68 ·
In answer to earlier poster, I did get (my C5500) Allshare to work on my Window 7 pc, but still trying to get it working on my Window XP pc (Set Device Policy: Accept is important step after setting share on folders with pics, etc.) - will report later on progress.

#69 ·
I can not get any files to play via streaming over the network. I can play the avi files from a USB drive but not over the network. I've tried the Samsung PCSM, Orb, and tveristy. When I try to play the files it gives the error "Not supported file format." I am trying to stream from a Win7 x64 box. Any help would be appreciated.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggley /forum/post/18424896

I can not get any files to play via streaming over the network. I can play the avi files from a USB drive but not over the network. I've tried the Samsung PCSM, Orb, and tveristy. When I try to play the files it gives the error "Not supported file format." I am trying to stream from a Win7 x64 box. Any help would be appreciated.

I've had no success with AVI either via network.... have you tried other file types like MKV, WMV, MP4 or MPG? All those work for me.

Also check out the Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion thread

#72 ·

Quote:

I've had trouble with Netflix myself today. Since noon or so. I have a 20Mb connection and have had ZERO problems until now. It re-buffers about every 10 minutes or so. I chalk it up to something online or Netflix.

Pandora was fine but I don't suspect it needs much bandwidth to work.

#75 ·

Quote:

I was getting the same error with Tversity, but after I upgraded that server to the latest version, my 5500 doesn't see it at all (nor do my Directv receivers). PC Share Manager is working on my Win 7 64 bit computer, as is EyeConnect on my PPC Mac.

#76 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocker /forum/post/18426855

Before purchasing, I would like to know if the Samsung BD5500/6500 plays MTS and M2T files from a hidef videocamcorder?

Thanks in advance.

No, ony supports AVI, MKV, WMV, MP4, MPG, and MPEG. However, I've not gotten a AVI file to work and not tested MPEG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.