Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post

bernie33-

That is a problem with probably nearly all Blu-ray players. The DVD you are trying to play is a widescreen movie but the disc is not "16:9 enhanced". Regular DVD players can make these discs fill the screen when you set the player to 16:9 or widescreen mode, but for some reason this ability has not been put into Blu-ray players, so the player thinks it is a 4:3 disc (which it is, but with hard-coded black bars at the top and bottom).

Thanks for the explanation. With your tip about the term "16:9 enhanced" I was able to do some more research for myself to better understand the phenomenon. This website helped and even shows the problem: http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/spec...eat_emptor.htm

My understanding is that
  1. some old DVD's, like "The American President" from 1995, were transferred with the letterboxing "built-in" to fit a 4:3 display.
  2. DVD players, but not blu-ray players, in general will display the image properly on a 16:9 TV
  3. Blu-ray players, in general, will not automatically expand the old non-enhanced letterboxed DVD's.
  4. not sure why blu-ray players don't support the same, already written firmware feature, but maybe it would conflict with some of the automatic HDMI feature syncing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1614 Old 02-10-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bernie - have you tried the 'Full Screen' button on the remote. I know with streamed content this will display in original/not upscalled.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #903 of 1614 Old 02-10-2011, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I have to laugh as my first DVD player in 1998 was a Pioneer that could save the location of where you stopped with a disc and if you put the disc in later on would remember where it was stopped. It could save up to 50 stopped disc locations that way. Surprised that such features aren't in a lot of players including the C5500 though you do have "Bookmarks" on some BD discs but you have to sit through their DRM, click through the trailers since they disable to the Menu to give you the "movie theater experience" to get to the menu for your bookmark. I like to look at trailers..... after I look at the movie. A few companies such as Magnolia don't do this nonsense.
post #904 of 1614 Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Bernie - have you tried the 'Full Screen' button on the remote. I know with streamed content this will display in original/not upscalled.

This DVD has now been mailed back to Netflix. If we encounter the problem again with a DVD I'll just use our DVD player. If we encounter the problem with something streamed I'll try your suggestion. Thanks.
post #905 of 1614 Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I select the audiophile setting, I get no audio over Toslink while watching Netflix. If I select re-encode to DTS, I get audio. If I select PCM, I get audio.

Any idea why the audiophile audio setting does not work with Netflix?

Signature.
post #906 of 1614 Old 02-11-2011, 04:19 PM

I bought this player a few day ago and have had no problems. Until now. I'm a MAC user and I know that everyone will tell me that is my main issue, but I moved all of the files I want to view on my player to an external hard-drive and the player will not even show that anything is plugged in. What is going on and do I have any other options? Burning onto a dick is not one of them. Please help ASAP.

I have gone back and read some of the other posts with the same problems. There is nothing wrong with my drive as I use it on a regular basis. Would a small thumb drive be a better idea then my large HDD?
post #907 of 1614 Old 02-11-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm sure others have had this issue, but trying to get through the pages of this thread and the thread for Allshare in general I've not run across anyone yet. I have my BD-C5500 connected to my netgear bridge. The bridge is connected to my netgear wireless router.

I'm able to access the internet tv apps just fine, but when I hit the menu button and try to change device all I have is No Disc and my USB Drive. Take out the USB Drive and all I get is No Disc for my device options. I dont have the opportunity to search for computers at any point. Am I missing a step? I have the Samsung PCSM all setup and running on my desktop which is connected to the router.

I just dont get the option to search for computers on the network. I have updated to the most recent firmware.
post #908 of 1614 Old 02-11-2011, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmaxx View Post

I dont have the opportunity to search for computers at any point. Am I missing a step? I have the Samsung PCSM all setup and running on my desktop which is connected to the router.

You need to add the Samsung to the list of authorized devices in PCSM. Or use a better server program like Serviio.
post #909 of 1614 Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM

Thanks. That did it. of course...did not realize DLNA is a two way street as far as communication is concerned.

Of course now that I know that it works I'll be trying some of the nice programs you guys have highlighted here.
post #910 of 1614 Old 02-11-2011, 10:51 PM

I installed Serviio and the player recognizes it, the main problems are now that it renamed half my files and won't play anything the whole way through.
post #911 of 1614 Old 02-12-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingrefuge View Post

I installed Serviio and the player recognizes it, the main problems are now that it renamed half my files and won't play anything the whole way through.

Is the Samsung C series profile selected?
My 5500 will play almost everything I throw at it.
You might try turning off transcoding.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #912 of 1614 Old 02-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post

Is the Samsung C series profile selected?
My 5500 will play almost everything I throw at it.
You might try turning off transcoding.

Where do I double check or select the correct profile?
post #913 of 1614 Old 02-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Updated to latest software and I have Netflix (Canada) running. I have a wired Internet connection. Streams pretty well and most of the movies are good quality.
post #914 of 1614 Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 AM

What formats of subtitles files does the c5500 recognize?. It seems it only works with srt files, is that correct?
post #915 of 1614 Old 02-13-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupha View Post

What formats of subtitles files does the c5500 recognize?. It seems it only works with srt files, is that correct?

I've only seen srt files work. And will not decode srt files that are muxed into an mkv file, the srt file must be separate.
post #916 of 1614 Old 02-13-2011, 05:16 PM

The DLNA works off from the laptop for about 5 minutes and stops with an error. The laptop was still running over wireless network and the player connected over wired network connection.
post #917 of 1614 Old 02-13-2011, 06:41 PM

OK, I did everything everyone suggested, and now today when I try and watch a movie the player is not picking up my network. I've tured the player off and on many times and still nothing.
post #918 of 1614 Old 02-13-2011, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingrefuge View Post

OK, I did everything everyone suggested, and now today when I try and watch a movie the player is not picking up my network. I've tured the player off and on many times and still nothing.

It could be that the service has stopped. This can happen when the router assigns a new ip address. You should try stopping and restarting the service (not the console server)

Stop the "server". This is a setting in the "status" section of the "console".
Then stop and restart the "service". This is in Windows Program list.
Then restart the "server" in the console status tab.
(a reboot should do this also)

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #919 of 1614 Old 02-14-2011, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1428 View Post

I've only seen srt files work. And will not decode srt files that are muxed into an mkv file, the srt file must be separate.

Yeah, just srt's, but what can I do if I need two subtitles, let's say spanish and english? As the subtitles names must be exactly as the movie file, that's a big problem? Is there a way to solve this?
post #920 of 1614 Old 02-15-2011, 01:15 PM

Liked: 44
Just purchased the Rosewill RNX-N1 wireless adapter. It works great with the 5500 for wifi. I streamed netflix in HD and I had no drops. It uses the same chip set as the Samsung wifi adapter. I got it online for $25.
post #921 of 1614 Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The Samsung Vimeo app seems to be working at least partly for a few people on the Blu-Ray players, but not for most. Vimeo has been "working on it" for weeks, and they say they don't know what the problem is, so their solution is to lock the thread: http://vimeo.com/forums/topic:33636
post #922 of 1614 Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Liked: 44
I watched several videos on Vimeo last night on my 5500.
post #923 of 1614 Old 02-16-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

So what's up with this Vimeo app? Why has it suddenly started working for some people for no apparent reason, but it still doesn't work for others?

Like a lot of people, I'm still getting nothing but "Error, not possible at this time" for any action in the Vimeo app. Before they locked the thread someone at least managed to post that it's the 12/30/10 version 1.001 version of the app (same one I get when I download it), and it's not working with the latest Samsung firmware.
post #924 of 1614 Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 PM

Are you able to stream Hulu to your bluray c5500? If so how? I can get Netflix now if I can get Hulu too, goodbye my satelitte company!
post #925 of 1614 Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriffabc View Post

Are you able to stream Hulu to your bluray c5500? If so how? I can get Netflix now if I can get Hulu too, goodbye my satelitte company!

Using the PlayOn media server running on a PC on your network is the only way I have found. It doesn't work very reliably - it always takes at least two tries to start a stream from Hulu on the Samsung BD due to timing problems, and some won't start at all. Crashes and disconnections are common. PlayOn charges a monthly or yearly fee.
post #926 of 1614 Old 02-17-2011, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoyeB View Post

If I select the audiophile setting, I get no audio over Toslink while watching Netflix. If I select re-encode to DTS, I get audio. If I select PCM, I get audio.

Any idea why the audiophile audio setting does not work with Netflix?

I've got the same problem with my HDMI connection. It sucks. I don't want to downgrade my audio everytime I watch something on netflix, and I don't want to leave it downgraded all the time.

It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession...
post #927 of 1614 Old 02-19-2011, 05:36 PM

I just bought this player yesterday and so for really enjoying it dlna and netflix working great only problem i'm having is if i let the player sit idle and the samsung logo screen saver comes on i can't get it to wake up from the remote have to turn the player off and back on anybody have any ideas? thanks
post #928 of 1614 Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM

I just purchased this player tonight. Set up Netflix, Pandora etc. I read on here that I could use TV mobili and stream my movies, itunes etc. I have it running on my laptop but cant find it anywhere on the blu ray player. Anyone wanna help a rookie out? I can see my laptop on the screen but none of my videos are there.

thanks
post #929 of 1614 Old 02-20-2011, 06:00 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedchevy View Post

I just bought this player yesterday and so for really enjoying it dlna and netflix working great only problem i'm having is if i let the player sit idle and the samsung logo screen saver comes on i can't get it to wake up from the remote have to turn the player off and back on anybody have any ideas? thanks

I have the same problemhope someone has a tip or how to avoid this.

JERRY
post #930 of 1614 Old 02-20-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedchevy View Post

only problem i'm having is if i let the player sit idle and the samsung logo screen saver comes on i can't get it to wake up from the remote have to turn the player off and back on anybody have any ideas? thanks

I've never had that happen - the first button push on the remote always wakes it up and removes the screen saver without taking any other action. Doesn't matter if I was on the home screen, paused playing a disc, or paused playing an online video from Netflix.

Maybe it would help pin down the problem if you remember what screen you left it on before the screen saver activated?
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page