Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 1614 Old 03-12-2011, 06:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else noticed that when turning on 24fps, it doesn't stay on consistently from movie to movie?

My Sony BDP350 has an Auto setting for 24fps that works perfectly. It's just getting a little irritating to keep going into settings and turning it back on. I'm just wondering if it could be a glitch with my player or is it common with these players in general.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1614 Old 03-13-2011, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Vimeo App updated itself yesterday, but it didn't help at all. Still can't load any videos. The App itself indicates its still version 1.0, and when you go to "Samsung Apps" it says its version 1.0011 (don't know if that has changed, but it has yesterdays date). BTW, I have a BDC6500,(essentially the same machine) but this forum seems to be following the problem.
post #993 of 1614 Old 03-13-2011, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes, I saw the Vimeo app update a couple of days ago. No help with the problem - it still doesn't work for me either.
post #994 of 1614 Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM

I've had the Samsung BD-C5500T since Novemer 2010 and it's been working great using the component output to my CRT TV. Recently after replacing myQuest A/V amp (no component i/o) with a Sony STR DG900 which does have component i/o, I notice that I get no display on the crt from the 5500.

I've tried both component inputs on the Sony, but just get a black screen, plugging in my old Philips DVD player into the component inputs, all works as expected and I get video on the CRT.

Patch the 5500 back into the tv component inputs and all works fine. Googling's found me squat and the call with Samsung tech support was laughable in how sad it was. I had to explain over and over that it was a component video issue, not an optical audio one and that the 5500 didn't have svideo capabilities. The final thing the tech said to me was to goto yahoo canada and type in the model of my blueray player and my a/v amp .

I've tried adjusting settings on the 5500, but given the TV is an SD CRT, there's not a lot that one can change. Similar with the Sony unit.

I've got the latest firmware on the 5500.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
post #995 of 1614 Old 03-14-2011, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Your problem might be due to CGMS copy protection. The Samsung inserts CGMS copy protection on all its analog outputs when you play a commercial disc or internet video (as is required by the standards licensing bodies). Most receivers would ignore that, but knowing how much Sony is in love with copy protection, the Sony receiver may be blocking the signal because of that.
post #996 of 1614 Old 03-14-2011, 11:22 AM

Any idea if the Amazon VOD will show up on this player?
post #997 of 1614 Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Hmm, I dunno, as I get nothing, and by that I mean, no menu's, nothing, I switch the a/v amp to the appropriate component input, turn on the 5500 and get zilch, the screen is completely black, no home screen for the 5500 shows up. If I put in a dvd and hit play, I get the audio from the disc but no video.

However I would assume that the copy protection gets put on once one switches into playback mode and shouldn't affect the menus et al, so functions like netflix and youtube should be working, no?

The Sony amp was a used one I picked up on Craigslist and I had thought the component inputs were dead and it wasn't until I hooked up my Philips DVD player that I realized it was a problem with the 5500 itself or a problem between the 5500 and the Sony.
post #998 of 1614 Old 03-14-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibble-comp View Post

However I would assume that the copy protection gets put on once one switches into playback mode and shouldn't affect the menus et al, so functions like netflix and youtube should be working, no?

Shouldn't apply to the player menu, but it is applied to Netflix and Youtube. I did an experiment to prove that: I tried recording a test clip from Netflix to my Philips DVR via composite output, and the DVR displayed "Copy protected signal". I put my video enhancer in between them, and recording then worked.
post #999 of 1614 Old 03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok. Got this player and an onkyo receiver with hdmi repeater. But it doesn't work with my older tv with dvi+hdcp through the receiver. It works directly. Can anyone confirm that it would work with a newer tv through this type of receiver? I still might try another player, but I might live with component. I would miss the upconversion, and worry about analog shutoff that is coming.

Xesdeeni
post #1000 of 1614 Old 03-19-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with Samsung's inability to fast-forward, rewind, skip, or go to a time index in most video files. It does work in a few files, but it's so picky that I would say that it works with less than a quarter of the files I have tried. Sometimes it will work with one file and not another when both were produced by the same software, in the same format, and from the same source. Doesn't matter whether it's avi, mpeg, mp4, or mkv - they all have the same problem. It's nice that the Samsung will play most files, but it gets old pretty quickly that there's no way to resume a 2-hour movie somewhere in the middle.
post #1001 of 1614 Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 AM

Ok, I'm really getting frustrated with the network streaming on the BD player. I have 2 PCs both with Win7 (one Pro, the other Enterprise). The one with Pro is my every-day work PC and it has a few video files on it in the default (C:\\Users\\UserName\\Videos) Video folder (as opposed to be referenced via the Video "Library") and the BD player can see those just fine.

My entire house is wired with Ethernet. The entertainment center has a switch/hub (honestly don't remember which) so that the Samsung BD Player, Samsung TV, and DISH Network 922 DVR can all access the network. Only one device at a time ever access the network so a priority/collision shouldn't be of issue.

The Enterprise version is my HTPC and it has a Media Drive (130GB SATA HDD for the OS and a 2TB SATA HDD for the Media Drive) that has it's folders (manually created) indexed in the Video Library.

The videos on my work PC are seen over the network just fine, the Videos on my Media Drive (the 2TB one) on my HTPC are *NOT* being seen at all. Does the BD Player not know how to recognize "Libraries" from Win7?

I even used the Share Manager software to just load the folders from the Media Drive (not libraries) but I can't see any devices to add the BD Player's Device Policy.

There's really got to be a better way to view my HTPC over my network if all this BS with the Samsung BD player isn't going to work properly.

Is my only option to add the video to the folder called "Videos" (under My Docs) itself? Doesn't seem that it should have to be done that way considering Microsoft specifically built Libraries for the purpose. The only thing I can think of is to reconfigure Windows to see my Media Drive's videos folder as the default "Video" folder for the OS.

Side Note:
Below are 3 pics I took.

First one is the screen I get when I go into "Video" when viewing my wife's Netbook PC on the network, this PC is NOT setup for any kind of sharing really and is also on Win7 Enterprise.

Attachment 205888

The second is what I get after choosing my HTPC and selecting "Video" from the BD player (also Win7 Enterprise)

Attachment 205889

The third is a quick shot of the BD firmware version.

Attachment 205890

So I am totally lost as to why a PC that's not specifically setup for network sharing shows the directories and folders just fine but the one built for this specific function will not.

UPDATE #1
Additional info from above:
I copied a few video files to the default "Video" (C:\\Users\\HTPC\\Videos) and they are still not viewable.

I edited the Sharing permissions for the user "HTPC" and added "Everyone" and set to full "Read" abilities, still nothing.

At this point I am totally lost and not sure what else to try... I just want to get rid of DISH Network for cable and rely on the Internet, this shouldn't be that hard!

UPDATE #2
Ok, it seems one of the two things I just did may have solved my issue.

1) Booted Windows Media Center for the first time on this PC (it's a new Win7 install as of last night).
2) Opened Media Player and choose "Stream" --> "Automatically allow devices to play my media..."

Not sure which (I think #2) really did it but now I can see everything in the Libraries.

Now for a BD Player specific question, is there a way to eliminate or reduce the number of folders you see when you go into "Videos"? There are SO many sorting options (that's what the folders actually do) I just want to eliminate most of them to make that a lot more simple.

Is there a way to interface with the Media Center interface without an extender directly from the BD Player (I don't assume there is) or even XBMC? The built in UI for streaming over the network on the BD Player is just very UN-user friendly.
LL
LL
LL

SpencerJW
post #1002 of 1614 Old 03-21-2011, 08:17 AM

I have 2010 Mitsubishi C10 DLP and samsung C5500 BP connected to Sony sound bar T150

three nights ago during a movie play we noticed a lip sync delay, it was very noticeable by a second. when turn off the BP player and back on it works fine with no LIP Sync after 5-10 minutes i got a lip sync.

connecting BP directly to TV still had lip sync. removed all equipment and end up watching our Dish network, we noticed some LIP sync also on several channels on dish network.

is that BP issue or is it the TV issue? has anyone had that issue before.
post #1003 of 1614 Old 03-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey spencerjw.

(Note: I didn't read Update #2 at the time of writing all of this out. It seems you fixed it. In any event, I'm going to post this information anyway in case anyone in the future has a similar problem.)

I'm unfamiliar with this Samsung player but I am extremely familiar with setting up Windows 7 sharing (I've got my media streaming to several PCs, my Xbox 360, and my LG player - all flawlessly).

A couple of things I'd like to check with you.

On the PC you are trying to stream to, please go to your Windows 7 Homegroup, click "View Homegroup settings," then click "Choose media streaming options" (or just check off "Stream my pictures, music, and videos to all devices on my Home network"). Once you choose your media streaming options, click on where it says "Local network" and switch it over to "All networks" (and make sure your Samsung is turned on at the time). I know that my LG player is listed as "UNKNOWN DEVICE" so the same may be true for your Samsung. In any event, set everything to ALLOW.

That right there should be enough to get the streaming going. If you ever notice that there are some videos not showing up on your Samsung, then your Media Library is likely corrupt. Do the following to remedy it:

Open Windows Media Player: Click on Tools, Advanced, Restore media library. Wait a few minutes and then open Windows Media Player (and confirm that it's done adding all of your files), and then click Tools, followed by Apply Media Changes.

Make sure you re-enable media sharing in Homegroup after this is done (it turns off after you click 'Apply Media Changes.')
post #1004 of 1614 Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

Ok. Got this player and an onkyo receiver with hdmi repeater. But it doesn't work with my older tv with dvi+hdcp through the receiver. It works directly. Can anyone confirm that it would work with a newer tv through this type of receiver? I still might try another player, but I might live with component. I would miss the upconversion, and worry about analog shutoff that is coming.

Xesdeeni

For anyone with a similar issue, I solved this last night, but I don't think the player was the cause. I manually set the player output to 1080i. This was not necessary with the direct connection. So I believe the receiver was telling the player that it supported 1080p, even though the TV doesn't.

EDIT: FYI, you can't see the HDMI output via the receiver to change it that way, but the setting is right when connected directly. And it wasn't clear what was set on HDMI when viewing via component alone. Only when I hooked up both HDMI via the receiver and component at the same time, was I able to see the HDMI setting was 1080p (on the 480i downrezzed component).

Xesdeeni
post #1005 of 1614 Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM

Hello, I have a c5500 running optical into a jcv avr, also a c550 television. When I play those 2 movies it will go through the trailers and such in 5.1 then it hits the movie and moves to 2 channel. I can hit the "tools" button and change to 5.1 but thats not fun.

I have tried the various Digital Output options to no avail as well as downmixing. Have others had this issue? What am I missing. When I put in Nemo or Megamind it holds to 5.1.

Thanks
post #1006 of 1614 Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM

Hi,

Newbie here. I am hoping to find an answer here whether my c5500 can do vertical stretch for 2.35:1 BD movies?

Using the Full Screen button on my remote, I can do that for my 1080 MKV and DVDs but not BDs.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tham
post #1007 of 1614 Old 03-27-2011, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

What's up with the Internet@TV license agreement? You have to provide personal information, and it's only covered by Korean law!? Is that even legal?

Xesdeeni
post #1008 of 1614 Old 03-27-2011, 10:28 PM

Hello,

I'm having trouble with the MLB app that goes into a loop. I downloaded and installed the MLB app and when I click on the icon it just clocks and nothing happen. After shuting down via the button on the box and restarting the app, the same thing happens. I've deleted the app and re-downloaded to have the same trouble of it hanging after the install?

Has anyone been able to get the MLB App to work? Was anyone able to get it to work last year. I have MLB.tv on my PC, but wanted to be able to watch it on my HDTV and not have to set at my desk or watch it on my laptop.

This is somewhat fustrating, beings this App (MLB) and the Youtube app has not worked, but no problems with everything else (Netflix, weather, Hulu and Pandora).

Maybe I'm missing a step on needing to activate the MLB from my MLB.tv account, but I've seen no prompt to perform that task.

Thanks for any and all help,

onecooltech
post #1009 of 1614 Old 03-28-2011, 07:05 AM
bZk

Hello,

I also have the BD-C5500 but I am experiencing a strange problem here. What happens is that whenever I try to play 1920x(x) resolution movies, i.e. 1080p; there are jitters all along and the picture is not at all steady. The movie files are being played without any issue in my PC though. All other movies with lower resolution works fine. I have updated my player to the latest firmware.

Can anyone suggest any solution ?
post #1010 of 1614 Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Just found out that sometimes netflix audio over optical goes away. My TV is connected with HDMI and that audio is always there. But the netflix audio over optical disappeared. I tried all the settings in the menu that should have had some effect, but nothing. In the end, I unplugged the unit and plugged it back in. Now the audio is back.

So if you ever find your Netflix audio is gone. Reset the player...

Signature.
post #1011 of 1614 Old 03-28-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a known problem that Netflix audio goes away if you play a video file before starting Netflix. You have to turn the player off and on again to get it back.
post #1012 of 1614 Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

It's a known problem that Netflix audio goes away if you play a video file before starting Netflix. You have to turn the player off and on again to get it back.

I have never seen that happen.

Bob
post #1013 of 1614 Old 03-31-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Your problem might be due to CGMS copy protection. The Samsung inserts CGMS copy protection on all its analog outputs when you play a commercial disc or internet video (as is required by the standards licensing bodies). Most receivers would ignore that, but knowing how much Sony is in love with copy protection, the Sony receiver may be blocking the signal because of that.

Well.....

Hooked my Pelican System Selector 2.0 in between the Samsung BR player and the Sony amp and now I have picture. It's good enough for now.
post #1014 of 1614 Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM

Someone suggested that when Netflix has no optical out audio, to play a youtube video or something. Thank you!

I have found if I play one of my videos from my computer, then go back to Netflix again, the audio comes back.

Signature.
post #1015 of 1614 Old 04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The audio problem is long known and obviously still not fixed. You can often fix it by watching a clip on your network server or a USB stick. Sometimes I wonder where Samsung gets it's engineers.
post #1016 of 1614 Old 04-01-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Is this player supposed to recognize a SMB share? It can see my uPnP media server (MythTV), but not my shares (or even the computers).

Xesdeeni
post #1017 of 1614 Old 04-01-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xesdeeni View Post

Is this player supposed to recognize a SMB share?

No, DLNA-compliant media servers only.
post #1018 of 1614 Old 04-06-2011, 08:18 PM

Hello, im new to the blu ray scene, and Ive more or less narrowed it down to 2 players that I would get, but I still don't know which one to choose. These player are the Samsung BDC5500T and the LG BD550C (and ill post this in the LG side to, so theres no biased answers). In your opinion, which is the better player? the Lg is CAD$98.00 and the Samsung is CAD$129.99(and comes with a Lord of the Rings bluray.) In terms of build quality, which one is more likely to last longer?

But my main question is: Which player is better at playing files via usb or external harddrive. The formats would primarily be .avi, .mkv, and .mp4.

Do the files have to be encoded to a certain format/resolution or bitrate for it to work properly?(the reasion I ask this is that I bought the Samsung LN40C610 that has connectshare, which is a feature that lets you plug in a usb drive and play videos off of it, but I always have problems with a/v sync)

Wifi isnt that big of a deal to me, I can deal with ethernet.

Thanks alot for your help.
post #1019 of 1614 Old 04-07-2011, 02:32 AM

I happen to have both the Samsung BD-C5500 and the LG BD550 and you can see my comparision between the 2 (and other entry level BD players) in
my BD Blog here. Each player has its pros and cons. I do not play much files via the USB so not sure how they perform in this area but both will support NTFS and FAT32 formatted HDD. As for MP4 files, the Samsung recognises only those with file extension .mp4 while the LG can recognise those with .mp4 and also .m2ts extensions but not those with .mts extension. (The Sony BD-S370 recognises all three extensions but it only support HDD formated with FAT32.) You can change the file extension of the mp4 files to suit but it is inconvenient.
If you play plenty of media files, the best is to get a stand alone HD media player that will recognise most file formats as these BD players main purpose is to play BD so playing media files is a hit and miss. Just my views.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1020 of 1614 Old 04-07-2011, 04:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
"As for MP4 files, the Samsung recognises only those with file extension .mp4 "

While this is true, ALL you need to do for any .mts, .ts, .m2ts, and I think .trp file is to rename it to a .mp4 and the 5500 will play the file.
Just a simple renaming, no transcoding.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page