AVS Forum banner

Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread

476K views 2K replies 365 participants last post by  zrdb 
#1 ·
I'm starting a new thread for the Samsung BD-C5500C Blu-Ray Player I recently (3-13) purchased at Costco.

I bought this because of its internet connection options. I have just updated the firmware dated 3-15.

I've watched one movie, The Hurt Locker, without incident. I've used it for several hours with Netflix and it works better than my PS3 which I use in my bedroom.

Also I have use it to watch my DivX videos that I have stored on two Windows machines. One is running Vista and the other Windows 7. This is also working better than the PS3.

I'd like to use it to watch the upcoming NCAA basketball games (if possible) and major league baseball games also streamed on the net.

If anyone has suggestions of how I set that up, please let me know.

Samsung has a winner here if the connection to net streaming options are easy to use.

Hdtvman,

Royal Oak, MI

See less See more
#1,104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmpureya /forum/post/20419868

Today I went to pick up a Tenda Portable Wireless AP/Router. I set it to Client+AP Mode and hooked it up directly to my C5500 using an ethernet cable. When I press "network test", it says the Gateway Ping failed. The setup I'm using is [Cable box]->[Wireless Router], and then [Portable Wireless Router]->[C5500 Bluray player]. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get internet working on the bluray player using this setup please?

Try looking for networking assistance at DSLREPORTS.COM. Sounds like you're trying to set the new wireless AP as a bridge.

If you connect a laptop to the Tenda and can't get to the internet, then your networking is set up wrong.

#1,105 ·
I appreciate all the feedback! I will try and figure it out asap. I've been out of town for a while, so I could not work on it. I believe I set it up to be a bridge? I had connected it to my computer to configure it from the default AP Mode into the Client+AP Mode (which I beliieve is the bridge. "it repeats and amplifies the wireless signals while at the same time transmitting and receiving data." I hadn't tried connecting a computer to the tenda wireless router yet, so I should probably try that next. I will check dslreports.com after I try connecting my pc to the router. I also have not set any passwords/security up in the C5500..but I figured I couldn't do that until after I connected it to the internet haha. Once again, thanks for all the help! I will try what was suggested, and post here again after I get some results.

Note: [Cable box] did mean [Cable modem], sorry for the confusion.

#1,112 ·
I have a WRT160N Router connected to a Cable Modem. I have a four port TrendNet switch connected to the Router. I have a computer and printer connected to two ports on the TrendNet switch. The computer connects to the internet with no problem. 3-5 seconds after I plug a new cable in that I've connected to the BD-D5500 - the computer loses connection to the internet. If I unplug the BD-D5500 3-5 seconds later, the computer can connect to the internet again.

The BD-D5500 gets a mac address but fails with the rest of the network setup. I logged into the LinkSys Router as Admin and can see the device (via the MAC address) with a reserved IP address. I tried changing the IP address and reserving a spot using the manual setup.

I've already download and applied the latest firmware to the BD-D5500 via USB stick.

Clearly the BD-D5500 is throwing off packets or something that's overloading the TrendNet switch. I've seen some comments online about needing to set port forwarding changes but I can't find the actual changes. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

#1,113 ·
Your devices don't "get" a MAC address - a MAC address is permanently assigned at the factory and embedded in the device hardware. It's like a permanent name assigned at birth, as opposed to a temporary address like an IP address.

Most likely your Blu-Ray player and your PC are using the same local IP address and interfering with each other, especially since you say your Blu-Ray player has a "reserved IP address". Check that the range of dynamic IP addresses your router is assigning via DHCP doesn't overlap with your reserved IP address.

#1,114 ·
Sorry, I probably didn't describe it correctly....

I noticed that the Router picked up the MAC of the BD-D5500 - so clearly it was connecting. I went ahead and had it reserve an IP address - and it is a different IP address than the computer on the same switch.

However, further testing last night is identifying the real issue. I went ahead and connected the BD-D5500 into a line directly connecting into the main Router (WRT160N). When I do this the BD-D5500 will connect to the Internet using either the Manual IP settings I specified or Auto. So a direct line into the primary router - no problem.

I then connected it into a switch connected to that same line to the router with nothing else connected to the switch. It fails the IP setup. I then disconnected the BD-D5500 and plugged the computer into the switch. It connected fine. I reconnected the BD-D5500 back directly - it connected fine.

I then swapped out a different switch (different manufacturer even). Same outcomes.

Having tested each cable, different switches and direct..... I think it's safe to say that this player has a problem connecting thru an intermediary switch one step removed from the primary router. Not sure where to go from here. I only have the one cable run up to the bedroom. Unless there is some further setting possible on the router, I may have to buy the wireless adapter for the BD-D5500.

Will I get acceptable streaming via the wireless adapter? Anyone have any further thoughts on router settings or other things to try?

#1,115 ·
IIRC, your WRT160N is a wireless N 4-port router, so I'm not clear on why you're using a switch. If it were me, I would remove the switch box completely, and properly connect the PC, printer, and BD player directly to the router's ethernet ports.

#1,116 ·
The router is in the basement with my network panel. I have a switch in my master bedroom for a PC, Printer and ideally a TV and the BD-D5500 and another switch that runs my family room DVD player an office PC and another printer...

bottom line is i have multiple devices in three areas that exceed the 4 ports anyway.....

The BD-D5500 shouldn't have this issue......

#1,117 ·
Have you tried swapping ethernet cables? Maybe the cable you are using for the Blu-Ray player is a crossover cable (often used for uplink from the router to the internet modem) instead of a normal direct cable. Many routers and switches these days can automatically recognize the difference and adapt without you noticing, but there are still many devices that require the correct cable configuration. Maybe your switch is one of them.

#1,119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpomeroy /forum/post/20513247

Correct. You know there is a "splitter/combiner" pair that will take one ethernet cable into two and combine back (see Monoprice, they have them about $2.50 each). Each path uses four of the 8 wires which limits it to 100mbps. If you have to run gigibit speed you need all 8 wires. I use this combo so I have two internet drops to my TV and BD (each getting internet) with one cable and no switch behind the TV. They come off a switch which comes off a switch/router which connects to the cable modem (also printer, PC, weather unit off this second switch). The BD is not Samsung though at this Samsung TV. /Dan

#1,120 ·
I've used the same cables connecting to the router directly and to the switch. It's something to do with a switch in front of the router that's causing this Samsung to freak out. It must be creating some kind of conflict with the switch because it kills anything else connected into it as well.... And since i've tried two completely different switches, the ONLY variable is the BD-D5500 itself. There is clearly a problem with it.....

I'm posting this much detail in case others run into the same problem. If I didn't get the thing for free with the TV purchase I would take it back...

#1,125 ·
Netflix worked fine every time until I upgraded to v1021.4 firmware. After upgrading the audio is messed up. I seem to get the 'surround' channels (background sounds and effects) but the dialog / center channel is muted and almost silent.

- the problem is restricted to HDMI audio only. No problems with Netflix analog. No problems with regular Bluray HDMI.

- seems to by some kind of a sync problem as I can correct it by unplugging and replugging in the HDMI cable

Has anyone else experienced this problem or something similar?

** Update **

Submitted the problem to Samsung support and received what appeared to be a stock answer
"We recommend you reset the player and reconfigure the settings and see if the issue is resolved.

To reset your Blu-ray player, with the power on and with no disc in the player, press and hold the STOP button on the front panel for five seconds. The initial setup screen is displayed, follow the prompts to setup your Blu-ray player. "

Had nothing to lose so I reset the player and it actually works again

#1,126 ·
I have a hunch that you're outsmarting yourself by setting the BDC5500 network settings in manual. Put it in auto (DHCP server) and do all the other configuring on your router.

That said, I use a Samsung wireless dongle on mine, and stream from Pandora and Netflix with only occasional hiccups in streaming. For the most part, all works well, my bandwidth inside the home LAN far exceeds anything my TWC connection provides.

#1,127 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwpomeroy /forum/post/20513247

You're not alone. I had a similar problem several months ago when setting up my BD-C5000. In my case, the BD player would lose its IP address almost every time I tried to stream Netflix through it. I kept having to restart my router and player to get an IP address back. This was a Linksys WRT320N router. I had another internet connection to my ISP outside the router and didn't have the problem when connecting there. I googled and googled but couldn't find anyone reporting a similar problem. I flashed the router's firmware to DD-WRT and never had another problem after that. Clearly the BD-C5500 doesn't play well with some network devices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.