post #1381 of 1614 Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post

A little more poking and I was even able to disable that insufferable tune that blares whenever the device is turned on/off.

Yes! That tune is way TOO LOUD! I leave it turned off. On my Samsung TV they have actually have a volume setting for the on/off tune, but the Blu-Ray player doesn't have that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1614 Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

I checked quickly with MakeMKV 1.7.1, but it's no better - the Samsung still can't ff/rw/skip in mkv files made by MakeMKV. I also prefer to use Handbrake to make mkv files with H.264 compression.

Just make your MKV with Handbrake then run that thru MKVMerge v3.4.0 Rapunzel..... I can then use the left/right arrow bottons (the ff/rw don't work)

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #1383 of 1614 Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Just make your MKV with Handbrake then run that thru MKVMerge v3.4.0 Rapunzel...

No need, the Handbrake mkv files work fine without any additional processing.
post #1384 of 1614 Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone been trying the new Internet apps that Samsung is adding these days?

The Mobiscope app lets you view webcams on your TV, including your own USB or IP webcams. It's a bit time-consuming to set it up on the Samsung player, although you can do part of the setup on your PC. At first it didn't work for me at all, but eventually I found that you have to view one of their standard webcams first to initialize something correctly in the app or it will lock up when you try to view your own webcams.

The Berliner Philharmoniker app lets you watch classical music concerts (live streaming or archived). It has good video quality, but apparently only 2-channel audio. They don't make it clear up front that the "free" app is strictly a portal for the pay subscription service - there are no free sample concerts unfortunately.
post #1385 of 1614 Old 02-08-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I could never get MakeMKV files to work with the Samsung. MakeMKV quickly repackages the DVD mpeg2 video into an mkv container without transcoding. It's fast, but not as compact as transcoding to H.264. Unfortunately the Samsung doesn't seem to like it. Are you saying that you have a version of MakeMKV that does output mkv files that the Samsung plays successfully? What version is it?

Mpeg2 files work natively with the Samsung. DVD VOB files can be played [depending on the age of the video, levels of skip functionality exist] by dropping them into the fileshare directory with no demuxing/muxing [other then combining the 1GB files into a single file].

The same goes for HD mpeg2 files [native .TS] captured from the DVR. These need to be processed by either mpeg2repair [free] + an indexing/demuxing tool and then muxed to mpg or saved to mpg through VideoReDo [$].

The resulting mpg files [1080i or 720p] play beautifully on the Samsung with a decent level of control using the Tools timing method [the more "error free" the file is, the more exact the control].

The only solution that I have found to allow for EXACT time control is remuxing using using MKVMerge 3.4 [Rapunzel] from INDIVIDUAL reprocessed streams. If you simply drop a VOB or mpeg2 file into MKVMerge, it will mux to MKV but the Tools timing will freeze the video and lock it up.

So, in summary:

1) VOB files work natively with partial Tools timing control [sometime rather arbitrary]
2) mpeg2 files work natively with excellent [if clean] support of Tools timing, otherwise partial Tools timing support [generally close]
3) MKV files created from separate MP4 and audio work perfectly with Tools timing [using MKVMerge 3.4]
4) Muxed VOB and mpeg2 files do not support Tools timing [using MKVMerge 3.4]

Kurt
post #1386 of 1614 Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:

Yes! That tune is way TOO LOUD! I leave it turned off. On my Samsung TV they have actually have a volume setting for the on/off tune, but the Blu-Ray player doesn't have that.

Could you share the method?

Thank,
Kurt
post #1387 of 1614 Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimmers View Post

Excellent! I wasn't aware of that part of the system. I went in and removed enough junk (Sudoko on the TV...really?) that Vudu (which also self-updated) now loads OK.

A little more poking and I was even able to disable that insufferable tune that blares whenever the device is turned on/off. This thing just got a lot more usable.

Thanks!

Should have directed my question here. Could you share?

Cheers,
Kurt
post #1388 of 1614 Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Agreed except that Handbrake takes a long time to encode.

I use MakeMKV with MKVmerge, which takes about 30minutes opposed to the 4-5Hours of Handbrake. Agreed that the file size is as big as the source, but I have a 1TB drive
post #1389 of 1614 Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

4-5 hours? Wow, you must have a computer as old as my desktop. On my 3-year-old dual-core laptop Handbrake takes about 1 hr to encode a DVD to H.264..
post #1390 of 1614 Old 02-13-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:

Nope, fast machine just using settings to obtain high quality 19.25. I,d be interested to knwhat your settings are to encode in an hour and what the quality is like
post #1391 of 1614 Old 02-13-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I just use the default H.264 settings for Handbrake to encode DVD video, and the results look pretty good to me. Constant quality RF=20, single pass, usually results in a file size of about 1.5 Gbytes for 2 hours. One reason I use Handbrake is because I don't have to fiddle with the default settings to get output that looks as good as the original DVD and has no visible artifacts. That's not true of many other encoding apps.
post #1392 of 1614 Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

Should have directed my question here. Could you share?

Cheers,
Kurt

Check "Menu-Setup" (on the Samsung TV):

Melody (Off / Low / Medium / High): Set so that a
melody plays when the TV is turned on or off.

/Dan
post #1393 of 1614 Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM

I suspect that this is related to memory but when I go into Internet TV on the Samsung [or Hulu or Vudu], I get a black screen with a perpetually spinning "installing" icon. This proceeds until I hit "return" or in some cases necessitates that I turn my player off, then on again.

Netflix&Pandora work fine but I cannot access any of the other software including youtube because of this issue.

Help!

Kurt
post #1394 of 1614 Old 02-16-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danki6x View Post

Check "Menu-Setup" (on the Samsung TV):

Melody (Off / Low / Medium / High): Set so that a
melody plays when the TV is turned on or off.

/Dan

Since I have a BDC player, I wandered through the set-up menu system and buried in "General" was turning off the power on/off sound. Thanks for your help.

Kurt
post #1395 of 1614 Old 02-17-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Since I have a BDC player, I wandered through the set-up menu system and buried in "General" was turning off the power on/off sound. Thanks for your help.

Kurt

thank you that also helps it shut down a bit faster. Its at the bottom of general in settings choices are on or off. default is on.
post #1396 of 1614 Old 02-19-2012, 04:04 PM

Hi guy,
I got a C5500 and i used Optical Quantum BD-R 25GB to burned some movies and put the disc in the C5500 it said cant read the disc and then eject by itself. And i use the same disc put in the LG BD611 and it work just fine. I wondering is cause by the discs or the Player(tried 10s discs already)?
Are anyone have the same problem and got it solved. Please help.
post #1397 of 1614 Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Anybody know if HBOgo will be available for this player?
post #1398 of 1614 Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra94 View Post

Hi guy,
I got a C5500 and i used Optical Quantum BD-R 25GB to burned some movies and put the disc in the C5500 it said cant read the disc and then eject by itself. And i use the same disc put in the LG BD611 and it work just fine. I wondering is cause by the discs or the Player(tried 10s discs already)?
Are anyone have the same problem and got it solved. Please help.

I'm sure that you have your reasons, but why aren't you mediaserving your movies to your player? Burning BD's is expensive and problematic, not to mention time consuming.

Kurt
post #1399 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 12:34 PM

Help. I'm looking for ideas for a cause, maybe a solution:

I'm trying to play an AVCHD disc on a Samsung BD-C5500 blu-ray player. The video plays fine, but it's not recognizing any audio.

Video mediainfo:
1 video stream: AVC (1920*1080)
1 audio stream: AC-3 (2 channel)

The Samsung BD-5500 manual suggests it plays AVCHD discs, but nothing is specified for any audio stream support.

I don't know if it needs a firmware update as Samsung provides neither firmware histories, nor explanations what the current update is supposed to fix.

The AVCHD disc plays perfectly on computers using VLC.

Converting to DVD disc yields both audio and video, but at a reduced video resolution. I'd rather not lose the video resolution just to get the audio.

Ideas?
post #1400 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 102
AC-3 isn't supported in the MP4 container. Remux to MKV and it'll work. Or recode the audio since it is only two channel as AAC while just copying the video using an MP4 container. This assumes you know a little about FFMpeg.
post #1401 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 01:53 PM

Hi Brian!

This started as an MKV file (mediainfo: AVC; AC-3). I was trying to convert for two other families (this is a 50 min. vacation video) who have blu-ray players that handle AVCHDs but not MKV files (also, no USB ports).

I used AVCHDCoder. Looked painless and the price was right for what could be a one time use. Was this not a good tool?
post #1402 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:

I suspect that this is related to memory but when I go into Internet TV on the Samsung [or Hulu or Vudu], I get a black screen with a perpetually spinning "installing" icon. This proceeds until I hit "return" or in some cases necessitates that I turn my player off, then on again.

Netflix&Pandora work fine but I cannot access any of the other software including youtube because of this issue.

Help!

Kurt

same problem here. has been ongoing for a over a week now. any ideas?
post #1403 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by avchdnewbie View Post

Hi Brian!
This started as an MKV file (mediainfo: AVC; AC-3). I was trying to convert for two other families (this is a 50 min. vacation video) who have blu-ray players that handle AVCHDs but not MKV files (also, no USB ports).
I used AVCHDCoder. Looked painless and the price was right for what could be a one time use. Was this not a good tool?

I create avchd with ac3 all the time & they play on my 5500. (5.1 & 2.0)
These are MKV files? Try using Tsmuxer. It's free & it will load MKV files and remux them into Blu-Ray or ACVHD format.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...smuxer_win.cfm

Or if you're familiar with Multiavchd, use that. (more complicated than tsmuxer tho)

Sometimes there's an error loading newer profile mkv files. If you have a problem let me know. I know how to fix them.

One other thing, If you're running the HDMI output thru an AVR (Receiver) Sometimes I have to change sources on it then back to the input the 5500 is connected to before it will sync up with the audio stream. (while the disc is playing) Not sure why it does that..
post #1404 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

AC-3 isn't supported in the MP4 container.

Maybe not officially, but it works with the Samsung player, at least for files played from local USB storage. Most portable devices won't play MP4 files with AC3 audio tracks though, even if there is also a 2ch AAC audio track. Many also choke on the Text chapter track which Handbrake adds by default when ripping DVDs. Don't you just want to take the people writing the specs and implementing these formats, give them a good shake, and tell them to smarten up!
post #1405 of 1614 Old 02-24-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

These are MKV files? Try using Tsmuxer. It's free & it will load MKV files and remux them into Blu-Ray or ACVHD format.

Or if you're familiar with Multiavchd, use that. (more complicated than tsmuxer tho)

Sometimes there's an error loading newer profile mkv files. If you have a problem let me know. I know how to fix them.

One other thing, If you're running the HDMI output thru an AVR (Receiver) Sometimes I have to change sources on it then back to the input the 5500 is connected to before it will sync up with the audio stream. (while the disc is playing) Not sure why it does that..

AVCHDCoder is just a front end to a set of tools including tsmuxer. Maybe if I keep it simple and use tsmuxer directly...

Interesting observation on the need to change sources to sync up with the audio stream. I'm going to have to try that too.

Thanks!
post #1406 of 1614 Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM

Tip:
For those that only want to use this as a Blu-ray / DVD player and don't want any of the APPS . With no disc in the player press and hold stop on the front panel for 5 seconds until you see set up on the front display. Reset your settings as needed. After you are through settings the main page will say Please activate internet @ TV. Don't click on internet @ TV. At this point in time you will have NO apps installed including those you would be stuck with. You can now use this just as a disc player if you so choose without things you did not ask for or need. you can still connect to your network and use media streaming and take firmware updates . You will just be free of any APPS . If a family member accidentally clicks on internet @ TV and causes an install simply repeat to reset .
post #1407 of 1614 Old 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikknightt View Post

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/au...smuxer_win.cfm

Well, I have an MKV file that plays fine. For kicks, I demuxed, checked the audio stream for errors with delaycut - none, re-encoded the AC3 stream at 192KB/s (rechecked for errors), remuxed the MKV (plays fine), then created the AVCHD with tsMuxeR. Same results: good video, no audio on the c5500, but plays fine on all my computers.

I also mucked with the AVR and had no luck. Then again, it's never been a problem either.

For now, I'm sticking with just a DVD format for everyone until such time as I can borrow another blu-ray player to test with. That reminds me, anyone know where Samsung posts what fixes/changes to their firmware? I found a new firmware, but have no idea what, if any issues have been addressed since my current firmware.

Thanks again everyone.
post #1408 of 1614 Old 03-02-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

I see that Plex Laika was mentioned once previously in this thread, but I guess people didn't realize how interesting it was at the time since there was no link posted - I know I didn't. Here's the link: http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/...app-updated-ip

What the post says is:

- There's a semi-secret developer mode in your Samsung BD-C5500 (and all the internet-enabled Samsung Blu-Ray and TV models). To enable it, all you have to do is go into the Internet@TV mode, press button A to log in, and then create a new account with the username "develop", any password. Log in to the develop account, go to the Internet@TV settings, and you will see that an extra menu entry has appeared "Development". The options under this menu item let you set the IP address of a development-mode app server other than Samsung's regular app store. (I wonder if this could be used to directly access the app stores of different countries? Hmmm...)

- Plex Laika is a Samsung client app for the Plex media server (free versions available for PC/Mac/Linux). You can see from the links in the post how to set up a Samsung app server and how an app is contructed (Plex Laika is all javascript). But you don't have to do any of that work, as an app server IP address is given that has Plex Laika available as the only app. Enter that server address under the development mode settings, and it will automatically download the Plex client and add it to your regular app list. When it's finished turn the player off and then on, go to the apps list, and select the new Plex app. Be prepared to wait a long time while it initializes. Download and install the Plex server for your PC/Mac/Linux computer, and then enter the local IP of your server computer in the Plex client settings on the Samsung. Works just like a regular DLNA server, but with better presentation.

Your regular apps and settings are unaffected, but of course as usual be aware that the Plex Laika client should be considered beta-test quality, and if things go completely wrong you might have to do a factory reset. No harm done except a little time lost. But it's working fine for me.
post #1409 of 1614 Old 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

You say it works like the regular DLNA server but with better presentation. Can you please elaborate on that? What exactly is better? More features? More Codec compatibility? I'm intrigued.

Do you know if this can also be accessed on a Samsung Smart TV? I have a D8000.
post #1410 of 1614 Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Advanced Member

I just googled plex and learned more. It looks very cool, but it's hard to find good clear how-to instructions. I'm still unclear about what, if anything, needs to be installed on my pc (the server with my video files), and how to configure everything. I'm also unclear if I have to set up a separate Samsung @internet/smarttv acct and why.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page