Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1411 of 1614 Old 03-02-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The special Internet@TV account name "develop" is already built into your Samsung firmware. It's intended to enable additional testing functionality for developers of Samsung TV apps. Normally you can create as many individual accounts as you want on your Samsung device (e.g., for family members to each keep their own Facebook password), but the account name "develop" is special. When you create and log into an account with that name, it enables the developer features. It's an internal account, nothing to do with Samsung's internet site. Apparently it's present on all Samsung C and D series TVs and Blu-Ray players with internet app support.

One thing it does is to show an extra menu item under the Internet@TV Settings menu that allows you to specify the IP address of an alternative app store (i.e., not the standard Samsung app store). Developers can set up their own "app store" to download and test their apps during development.

The Plex forum link above gives instructions and the IP address of such an alternative Samsung app server for downloading the pre-built Plex client app for Samsung using this mechanism. The app just appears as a new app added to your existing app list. It doesn't replace anything or make any unusual changes to your Blu-Ray player. It's just an alternative way of getting an app that isn't offered by the Samsung app store yet.

Plex is an effort to develop a high-end media server that runs on PC/Mac/Linux and handles pretty much everything (video/photo/music files, relaying live streams from internet sources like PlayOn does, real-time transcoding etc.). It has an open API allowing the development of plug-ins, and there are hundreds already available. Plex is currently free, but not open-source, and they may have a plan to go commercial eventually.

With the Samsung Blu-Ray player, the Plex server running on your PC is similar to a DLNA server, but on the player end you get a fancy Plex client app that looks like XBMC instead of the simple limited DLNA client offered by Samsung.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1614 Old 03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by avchdnewbie View Post

Well, I have an MKV file that plays fine. For kicks, I demuxed, checked the audio stream for errors with delaycut - none, re-encoded the AC3 stream at 192KB/s (rechecked for errors), remuxed the MKV (plays fine), then created the AVCHD with tsMuxeR. Same results: good video, no audio on the c5500, but plays fine on all my computers.
I also mucked with the AVR and had no luck. Then again, it's never been a problem either.
For now, I'm sticking with just a DVD format for everyone until such time as I can borrow another blu-ray player to test with. That reminds me, anyone know where Samsung posts what fixes/changes to their firmware? I found a new firmware, but have no idea what, if any issues have been addressed since my current firmware.
Thanks again everyone.

Doesn't the 5500 automatically let you know if a firmware update is available?
AVCHD works for me and I have the latest the box told me was available..

Just grasping at straws here but when you load the mkv into tsmuxer, What level of file is it? If you look in the middle of the app in says 'general track options'. Sometimes i've had issues with any level of video other than 4.0 or 4.1. Not sure what that means, just know it causes me an error.
post #1413 of 1614 Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

The special Internet@TV account name "develop" is already built into your Samsung firmware. It's intended to enable additional testing functionality for developers of Samsung TV apps. Normally you can create as many individual accounts as you want on your Samsung device (e.g., for family members to each keep their own Facebook password), but the account name "develop" is special. When you create and log into an account with that name, it enables the developer features. It's an internal account, nothing to do with Samsung's internet site. Apparently it's present on all Samsung C and D series TVs and Blu-Ray players with internet app support.

One thing it does is to show an extra menu item under the Internet@TV Settings menu that allows you to specify the IP address of an alternative app store (i.e., not the standard Samsung app store). Developers can set up their own "app store" to download and test their apps during development.

The Plex forum link above gives instructions and the IP address of such an alternative Samsung app server for downloading the pre-built Plex client app for Samsung using this mechanism. The app just appears as a new app added to your existing app list. It doesn't replace anything or make any unusual changes to your Blu-Ray player. It's just an alternative way of getting an app that isn't offered by the Samsung app store yet.

Plex is an effort to develop a high-end media server that runs on PC/Mac/Linux and handles pretty much everything (video/photo/music files, relaying live streams from internet sources like PlayOn does, real-time transcoding etc.). It has an open API allowing the development of plug-ins, and there are hundreds already available. Plex is currently free, but not open-source, and they may have a plan to go commercial eventually.

With the Samsung Blu-Ray player, the Plex server running on your PC is similar to a DLNA server, but on the player end you get a fancy Plex client app that looks like XBMC instead of the simple limited DLNA client offered by Samsung.

That explains a great deal very clearly, thanks! I watched some Plex demo videos on Youtube and kept thinking about XBMC, oh how I miss that. Great interface and played everything you threw at it.

When I posted my original question I have to admit that I was thinking that I had no server-side DLNA software on my PC, but what I forgot is that I'm actually using Windows Media Player to serve to my BD5500 BRP and also my D8000 SmartTV. Would I need to install some other Plex "serving software" on my PC? Or will my WMP continue to serve to Plex?

Also, based on what you said, since I don't actually install the Plex client on anything of mine, and since its an 'app' I guess it could be pulled at any time?
Like if Samsung decides to.
post #1414 of 1614 Old 03-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Also, if I store videos on 2 computers do I need the Plex client installed on both? I would guess so.
post #1415 of 1614 Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Plex is not a DLNA server, although it's similar. It's proprietary, works only with Plex clients.

You have to have a Plex server running on a PC/Mac/Linux box somewhere on your network to connect to. That server has to have access to your media files, either on a local drive or via network shares. You could run more than one Plex server on different computers on your netowrk, each with its own local media files, but then you would have to switch servers back and forth in the clients.

Some of the essential Plex functionality is in the clients rather than the server, so you'll also need to install a Windows/Mac/Linux client to manage certain features (like adding internet streaming channels via plugins).

I have no idea if Samsung can "pull" user-added apps like the Plex client. I suspect not.

Unfortunately it looks like the experimental Samsung Plex client so far does not support Channels, only local media files.
post #1416 of 1614 Old 03-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, then please advise me regarding how many Plex servers to install and on what device(s), for the simplest use (i.e. possibly avoiding having to switch back and forth?). All the PCs in my house are networked via windows. Currently, I have some videos on the actual hard drives of Win PC #1 and some on Win PC #2.

Later, since you say I can access a network shared drive, I may move all video storage to a USB drive on either Win PC#1 or Win PC#2.
post #1417 of 1614 Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone care to post up a youtube video of what Plex on the C5500 does? Still unsure

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #1418 of 1614 Old 03-03-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

This Youtube video shows the Plex client app running on a Samsung TV (version 0.8, current generation is 0.9). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E3A0lGo7mU
post #1419 of 1614 Old 03-03-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

There are several videos, so I suggest you just google ' Plex Laika Samsung ' or just Plex Laika
post #1420 of 1614 Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

There are several videos, so I suggest you just google ' Plex Laika Samsung ' or just Plex Laika

Any idea whether the Plex DLNA server works with or supports Mezzmo? The biggest complaint that I have with the Samsung/Mezzmo combination [or any mediaserver/Samsung combination] is the interface at the BluRay end.

I'd like to access information on the movies like plot, actors, etc which are contained in the server software but not displayable or retrievable at the Samsung end.

Kurt
post #1421 of 1614 Old 03-05-2012, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

Any idea whether the Plex DLNA server works with or supports Mezzmo? The biggest complaint that I have with the Samsung/Mezzmo combination [or any mediaserver/Samsung combination] is the interface at the BluRay end.

I'd like to access information on the movies like plot, actors, etc which are contained in the server software but not displayable or retrievable at the Samsung end.

Kurt

Does not look like it. Seems that the Plex client for Samsung BR/TVs interfaces only with the Plex server.

Agree Interface looks promising but personally prefer the Mezzmo server..... but still trying to learn Plex server.

Maybe something we can raise on Mezzmo forums see if they are willing to look into.

post #1422 of 1614 Old 03-05-2012, 07:46 AM

Has anyone been able to use bitstream audio [DTS-MA or True-HD] inside an MKV wrapper [or any wrapper] with the Samsung BDC5500? Right now, I have to extract the DTS or AC3 cores of the bitstream audio and remux with the video to MKV for the audio to be compliant.

The lack of this capability [and native SUP subtitle support] has me looking into standalone media devices [Boxee, Popbox, Dune] or an HTPC.

Kurt
post #1423 of 1614 Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Does not look like it. Seems that the Plex client for Samsung BR/TVs interfaces only with the Plex server.

Agree Interface looks promising but personally prefer the Mezzmo server..... but still trying to learn Plex server.

Maybe something we can raise on Mezzmo forums see if they are willing to look into.

I love the Mezzmo server, especially since 2.5.0.0 with the media support. Perhaps Mezzmo can tell us whether they plan on developing client-side apps that integrate with their server. I was unaware that this capability existed until the LAIKA client demonstrated this [using Java script?].

Kurt
post #1424 of 1614 Old 03-05-2012, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Just raised this over at Mezzmo Forums

http://forum.conceiva.com/showthread...3823#post13823

If you a Mezzmo user please chime in

post #1425 of 1614 Old 03-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Plex is not a DLNA server, although it's similar. It's proprietary, works only with Plex clients.

You have to have a Plex server running on a PC/Mac/Linux box somewhere on your network to connect to. That server has to have access to your media files, either on a local drive or via network shares. You could run more than one Plex server on different computers on your netowrk, each with its own local media files, but then you would have to switch servers back and forth in the clients.

Some of the essential Plex functionality is in the clients rather than the server, so you'll also need to install a Windows/Mac/Linux client to manage certain features (like adding internet streaming channels via plugins).

I have no idea if Samsung can "pull" user-added apps like the Plex client. I suspect not.

Unfortunately it looks like the experimental Samsung Plex client so far does not support Channels, only local media files.

I installed and was very impressed with the "look and feel". I noticed in the Plex Server installation directory that there is an application called "PlexDlnaServer.exe" which implies that they have a DLNA server. I haven't had the time to look into it.

As an aside, do you know whether we can stream Music to the BDC5500 using Plex? I don't see a Music folder available through the client application.

Cheers,
Kurt
post #1426 of 1614 Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Did you try setting up a Music folder on the Plex server? There's a folder type Music, so I presume you can.

Apparently Plex is just in the process of adding DLNA support (see http://gigaom.com/video/plex-dlna-ps...=specialtopics). I'm not sure what this accomplishes though unless the Plex client on the Samsung can work with a standard DLNA server, and I know it doesn't because I checked. I'm not sure what the point is in having Plex act as a DLNA server without the Plex client, since we already have perfectly good DLNA servers. Maybe better transcoding?
post #1427 of 1614 Old 03-06-2012, 02:30 PM

I set up a Music Folder on the Server [worked great - found all sorts of info on the groups] but when I went to the client, there was no access to a Music selection. It seems that the Plex Samsung client is for movies only unless there is a client set-up widget of some sort that I missed.

Kurt
post #1428 of 1614 Old 03-06-2012, 06:58 PM

Also, when playing a movie with Plex, you no longer have any control over skipping or fast forwarding. All you can do is Pause and Play...

Kurt
post #1429 of 1614 Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

You're right, the Samsung Plex client doesn't seem to see Music folders, although it's fine with Music Videos.

Like many DLNA servers, it uses the forward/back arrows to skip forward and back in videos by a fixed amount (adjustable under Preferences in the client).
post #1430 of 1614 Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM

The FF/RW works fine on mine, as well as the set amount skipping, cycling through x2, x4, x8, x16, and x32. Maybe only on mkvs remuxed with mkvmerge v3.4.0 though - newer ones don't always even load correctly.
post #1431 of 1614 Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKnott View Post

The FF/RW works fine on mine, as well as the set amount skipping, cycling through x2, x4, x8, x16, and x32. Maybe only on mkvs remuxed with mkvmerge v3.4.0 though - newer ones don't always even load correctly.

I use MKVMerge 3.4 exclusively. Walk me through what you do - I see the cycling changing but it doesn't seem to allow me to FF/RW. What buttons do you hit? Also the tools doesn't work [just gives a useless Audio/Video menu and a 16:9 screen option].

Cheers,
Kurt
post #1432 of 1614 Old 03-07-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I just checked and both < > arrows and FF REW works via the Plex client.

Now if there was a way to get it listed as a app on home page I would serious consider this but at moment I really like the Mezzmo server capability. Plex server seems very limited

post #1433 of 1614 Old 03-07-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

I use MKVMerge 3.4 exclusively. Walk me through what you do - I see the cycling changing but it doesn't seem to allow me to FF/RW. What buttons do you hit? Also the tools doesn't work [just gives a useless Audio/Video menu and a 16:9 screen option].

Cheers,
Kurt

I just use the RW/FF buttons! - I've uploaded a (slightly shaky) video here: http://youtu.be/n8aEiSnnAAo

Cheers,
Andy
post #1434 of 1614 Old 03-07-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just use the RW/FF buttons! - I've uploaded a (slightly shaky) video here: http://youtu.be/n8aEiSnnAAo

Cheers,
Andy

Thanks for that video! What happens when you press Tools? Or is there an equivalent to Tools? I'm wondering if you get any new settings or features, or lose any.
post #1435 of 1614 Old 03-08-2012, 12:05 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that video! What happens when you press Tools? Or is there an equivalent to Tools? I'm wondering if you get any new settings or features, or lose any.

Pressing "Tools" brings up a "MENU" with a choice of either "Picture Settings" or "Audio Settings". However, selecting either of these options has no effect - it just takes you back to where you were when you pressed "Tools".

During playback, the red A button toggles "Autoplay" on and off, while the green B button switches between Stretch to 16:9 and Stretch to 4:3. Pressing "Info" brings up the programme / film name and (for TV) the Season / Episode / Title or (for film) the release year. At the bottom are details of the elapsed time, the estimated finish time (if you can set the C5500 clock correctly), and the programme length.

The "Preferences" menu has two sections - one covers the Plex Media Server settings (IP addresses etc) and the other ("General") covers theme music (on/off), skip durations (in seconds) when pressing left or right, and initial, pending, and total buffer sizes (in MB).
post #1436 of 1614 Old 03-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Pressing "Tools" brings up a "MENU" with a choice of either "Picture Settings" or "Audio Settings". However, selecting either of these options has no effect - it just takes you back to where you were when you pressed "Tools".

During playback, the red A button toggles "Autoplay" on and off, while the green B button switches between Stretch to 16:9 and Stretch to 4:3. Pressing "Info" brings up the programme / film name and (for TV) the Season / Episode / Title or (for film) the release year. At the bottom are details of the elapsed time, the estimated finish time (if you can set the C5500 clock correctly), and the programme length.

The "Preferences" menu has two sections - one covers the Plex Media Server settings (IP addresses etc) and the other ("General") covers theme music (on/off), skip durations (in seconds) when pressing left or right, and initial, pending, and total buffer sizes (in MB).

Good info. Now I'm wondering those Picture and Audio Settings might work if Plex is installed on another Samsung device, like a D8000 SmartTV. But I guess that's a question for another thread.
post #1437 of 1614 Old 03-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Another Plex question... On which PC do I install the Plexi server, or does it matter? All the PCs in my house are networked via windows. Currently, I have some videos on the actual hard drives of Win PC #1 and some on Win PC #2. Can I configure Plexi to access both?
post #1438 of 1614 Old 03-08-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:

Another Plex question... On which PC do I install the Plexi server, or does it matter? All the PCs in my house are networked via windows. Currently, I have some videos on the actual hard drives of Win PC #1 and some on Win PC #2. Can I configure Plexi to access both?

It doesn't matter. I have the Plex Media Server on my main PC, but can add files from both it and from folders on other networked PCs to the Media Manager (you manually enter the network path, as it only gives you the choice of local drives) - and these are then sent wirelessly to the BD C5500.
post #1439 of 1614 Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

So I just read the Samsung install thread at the Plexi forum, and well, what do with the Plex Laika zip file on my PC just plain confused me. Maybe this is above my tech skills. I don't know in which folder (on my PC) to put the file (instructions say I have a folder called "Widget"?) or how to make that XML. Oh well. Are there easier instructions somewhere or should maybe avoid this.
post #1440 of 1614 Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:

So I just read the Samsung install thread at the Plexi forum, and well, what do with the Plex Laika zip file on my PC just plain confused me. Maybe this is above my tech skills. I don't know in which folder (on my PC) to put the file (instructions say I have a folder called "Widget"?) or how to make that XML. Oh well. Are there easier instructions somewhere or should maybe avoid this.

On your PC, you just need to download the Plex Media Server from the link at http://www.plexapp.com/download/win-download-new.php, then install it. Add your media to it, link your BD C5500 to your PC's IP address, and it should all work.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page