Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 1614 Old 04-19-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The problem is that the player does not recognize that extension when a standalone file. Try the same file but relabel the extension .MPG put it on a disc and see if it plays. Weird I know but I've taken both MPEG-2 and AVC streams muxed to a MPEG-2 transport stream container which wouldn't play with the .ts or m2ts extension but rename it to the program stream extension .MPG and it would play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1614 Old 04-19-2010, 04:45 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

The problem is that the player does not recognize that extension when a standalone file. Try the same file but relabel the extension .MPG put it on a disc and see if it plays. Weird I know but I've taken both MPEG-2 and AVC streams muxed to a MPEG-2 transport stream container which wouldn't play with the .ts or m2ts extension but rename it to the program stream extension .MPG and it would play.

My Directv DVRs behave the same way. These devices won't play 5.1 audio tracks unless it is a transport stream.

Bob
post #123 of 1614 Old 04-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

Sorry, I'm cross posting this, but I just realized there was a separate thread for this player, which I got at Costco......

Does anyone that is good with networking have any ideas or settings on what I need to do?

I'm having a hell of a time getting this thing to connect to the internet/network. The player picked up the network the very first time I plugged it in and all the available apps loaded just fine, but now the connection, when turning the player on, is sporadic at best. I am wired BTW.

After turning my player off, I turned it back on again and tried to go to Netflix and Pandora but the player said no network connection is available. I unplugged the player, then the switch, and finally the modem to no avail. I might do this 3 or 4 times and then it will finally get an IP address and work.

I used the "Auto" setting in the network setup at first. I've tried setting a static IP on my PC and the player, as well as an open DNS. When I do that it gets to the ping test and tells me it can't find the network again.

I just went back to all "auto" settings on the player and the PC and it worked.

Any help to get this thing to connect consistently would be great. If not, it's going back.

Thanks,
Rob

I am having the exact same problem, does anyone have any answers? I have a few computers hard wired to my router, 2 iPod Touch players, 2 laptops with wireless, and an Xbox360 hard wired with no problems. I plugged in my Xbox360 and was live within a minute.

I have the 5500 hard wired and it is sporadic at best. I constantly have to unplug and plug back in and after several times, it will finally recognize the network. As soon as I turn the power off, my network is gone and I have to redo this all over again. This is the only device I have this problem with, so it is not my ISP or my router I believe. I have spent weeks trying to figure out the solution. At this point, I need to return for another one, or get something comparable like the LG 550 as these network problems are a deal breaker. Thanks for any help!
post #124 of 1614 Old 04-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBrent View Post

At this point, I need to return for another one

Seems like a good idea to me. Wired stuff should just work when you plug it in, and like you said everything else you plugged into your router just worked... did you try using the same cable that normally goes to your xbox (or something that definitely) works to rule out a bad cable or connector?
post #125 of 1614 Old 04-20-2010, 05:11 AM

Does anyone know how I can get (the tv volume button on) my C5500 remote to control the volume on my Denon 1910 receiver. Is there a way to figure out what code to input so the remote thinks it is adjusting the tv volume?
post #126 of 1614 Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7 View Post

Seems like a good idea to me. Wired stuff should just work when you plug it in, and like you said everything else you plugged into your router just worked... did you try using the same cable that normally goes to your xbox (or something that definitely) works to rule out a bad cable or connector?

Yes, I have 2 Cat 5 cables going into my stereo cabinet and both work on the Xbox - I keep swapping them out to no avail. Maybe it is just something wrong with the unit and I will replace and try again. Samsung Level 1 and 2 support was horrible. They actually told me that plugging and unplugging to find a network is the way the unit is supposed to work and it cannot keep on a network. Other than the connection, I like the unit, so I am hoping it is a defect. Besides one other post, I haven't been able to find any issues with networking with this unit, so maybe it is an isolated incident.
post #127 of 1614 Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

I will try that but I'm not sure that *.mpg files can be shared with Windows Media over the network. I will try it as a standalone file. I did make an MKV file and put it on a DVD and it played fine. It was a little quirky trying to figure out how to get at it though. Who designs the software & interface for these devices? It must be someone who never has to use it.

BTW, I did try changing the extension to *.AVI which I use on my Windows shared video but that did not work.
post #128 of 1614 Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I did a test of the *.mpg files. They DO NOT play when streamed from Windows 7 Media Sharing. However, they DO play from a DVD. Go figure. Later today I will test whether they play from a USB attached drive. My conjecture is that will not since the same file I tested played from an AVCHD disc but not from the USB hard drive.

Anyone know why playing from a DVD is different than playing from the Network or an USB attached drive?
post #129 of 1614 Old 04-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

........I have the 5500 hard wired and it is sporadic at best. I constantly have to unplug and plug back in and after several times, it will finally recognize the network. ......

Double, triple and the re-check your CAT5 cabling again. Then check it again.

To make a ling story short, I guess a person can have an RJ45 plug wired wrong and it still MIGHT give random signals (according to my IT guy at work). I had a cable that I wired upside down on the T568B standard. It was a cable that worked sporadically and I never knew it.

I had my house network wired in 2004 when we built it. Nearly 6 years later and I finally get around to hooking it all up. The #%$#@ contractor that wired the network wired it for a multi-line phone standard, but I still got a sporadic and random signal.

After getting ALL, yes ALL of my wall jacks and ALL of my cables wired to the T568B standard (most common cat5 and cat5e wiring type), I have ZERO connection problems.

CHECK CHECK and RECHECK

Rob

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #130 of 1614 Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Does anyone know where I can get the remote code for a dynex flat panel. Is there a search option on the remote control?
post #131 of 1614 Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 AM

Thinking of returning my Sony BDP-S370 for the C5500 tonight... Are the network issues really that bad? Have they been fixed in a FW update yet? I get about 24MBps on speed tests from my laptop when plugged into the router via CAT5... The BD player is also plugged directly in...
post #132 of 1614 Old 04-21-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by eochs View Post

Thinking of returning my Sony BDP-S370 for the C5500 tonight... Are the network issues really that bad? Have they been fixed in a FW update yet? I get about 24MBps on speed tests from my laptop when plugged into the router via CAT5... The BD player is also plugged directly in...

I've not seen evidence of many having network issues, I certainly have not. Some have quieried the bandwidth that the player reports but to date not seen anyone complaining about actual thruput on either AllShare or Internet@TV

=====================================

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
index on 1st post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #133 of 1614 Old 04-21-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

This is not a issue/problem - just something Bizarre I can't get my head around.

The C5500 is controlled via IR

All my equipment is in a closet with no line of site & a door.

I control all my equipment using an IR repeater system with IR emmitters on each peice of equipment.

All straight forward so far - right!

Well when I changed out my BD-P1500 for the BD-C5500 I did not put an emmitter on the C5500.

But I can still control the C5500 using the remote that came with it and my Universal Remote (MX-980) that is still configured for the P1600.

I thought maybe it's possible that the IR is being passed via the receiver/HDMI but remote still operates the C5500 with receiver off.

I'm pretty sure the IR is going via the IR Repeater as if I don't point remote at the eye then it don't work. All I can think of is there is some kind of reflection going on on within the closet from one of the other emitters.

Like I say not a issue/problem - just Bizarre

index on 1st post

post #134 of 1614 Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:

That's the list for this player? That'd odd, cuz I have video files with other extensions that it does play (for example .tp which are over-the-air hdtv mpeg-2 transport streams), and I have mpg that are mpeg-1 that they say unsupported... although I've only tested this thru PCSM, not on disc/usb.

Anyone had mpeg-1 work?

Well I tried a couple of these mpg's from a usb drive, same thing, unsupported format. ffmpeg -i tells me they're mpeg video with mp2 audio, which according to that table, is supported. Where did that table come from?

Code:
FFmpeg version 0.5, Copyright (c) 2000-2009 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
  configuration: --disable-ffplay --disable-ffserver --enable-memalign-hack
  libavutil     49.15. 0 / 49.15. 0
  libavcodec    52.20. 0 / 52.20. 0
  libavformat   52.31. 0 / 52.31. 0
  libavdevice   52. 1. 0 / 52. 1. 0
  built on Sep  9 2009 13:41:54, gcc: 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)
Input #0, mpeg, from 'Cinderella Man.mpg':
  Duration: 02:15:57.70, start: 0.444100, bitrate: 844 kb/s
    Stream #0.0[0x1e0]: Video: mpeg1video, yuv420p, 352x240 [PAR 200:219 DAR 880
:657], 104857 kb/s, 29.97 tbr, 90k tbn, 29.97 tbc
    Stream #0.1[0x1c0]: Audio: mp2, 44100 Hz, stereo, s16, 128 kb/s
post #135 of 1614 Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Not that anyone asked, but I also confirmed this thing won't play PAL DVDs. My old DVD player could, but not my HD-DVD player, so expectations weren't super high... although woulda been nice, I have about ten such discs...

While I was at it I tried some VCDs.. I already knew they weren't supposed to play, but figured it couldn't hurt to try... no such luck.
post #136 of 1614 Old 04-23-2010, 01:07 AM

Ok so I got a new tv (samsung ln46c650) and it came with the c5500 BR player. I bought Avatar along with it because I knew what quality I should see. Enter dilema. Ok, so it wouldn't play and said that I needed to download the newest firmware, so I did as instructed. Got the same error message. But the dvd looked pretty nice (BR/DVD combo pack), I have to say, the upconversion works pretty good. Any ideas?
post #137 of 1614 Old 04-23-2010, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wel Where did that table come from?

If your refering to table I posted its a scan from p12 of the user manual.

index on 1st post

post #138 of 1614 Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

What are folks using to convert DVD's to MKV's?

I've been using Handbrake which is OK but tried MakeMKV which didn't work as it does not change the codecs - tried it with Avatar and video codec was MPEG2 which is not supported in a MKV

index on 1st post

post #139 of 1614 Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr-dirt View Post

Ok so I got a new tv (samsung ln46c650) and it came with the c5500 BR player. I bought Avatar along with it because I knew what quality I should see. Enter dilema. Ok, so it wouldn't play and said that I needed to download the newest firmware, so I did as instructed. Got the same error message. But the dvd looked pretty nice (BR/DVD combo pack), I have to say, the upconversion works pretty good. Any ideas?

Seems to be working OK for me, running latest firmware.

Took 2-3 mins to load, and drive was noisy while doing so but once I got to menu and played to drive was quiet. Nice not to have to skip thru loads of trailers.

Only watch a few minutes so still could have problems, will be hopefully watching it tonight so report back after.

index on 1st post

post #140 of 1614 Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 AM

Ah so that gives me hope. What I got was the red screen which said that i needed update the firmware. I did that, BUT the latest one that came up was from 4-14. This is kind of discouraging just for the fact that you can't play new movies until the player manufacturer releases a new fw version.......kind of lame.
post #141 of 1614 Old 04-23-2010, 04:18 PM

It's a vicious cycle... company releases a new BD with some new type of copy protection... bd player manufacturers and slyloft write updates to support it. What's ironic is the bd manufacturers are told what they need to do whereas slysoft has to figure it out themselves, and often times slysoft is faster than the manufacturers!
post #142 of 1614 Old 04-24-2010, 01:06 AM

Hello everyone, first sorry for my poor level of English (I'm French!).
I am in possession of a BD-C5500 but I have 2 problems.
- The first is that when I plug an iphone or ipod touch to the exit for this purpose, the sound of the songs is bad (especially the bass).

-The second is that I wish I could organize my library of DivX / MKV ... With such sorting by genre (comedy, horror ...) and with each movie to see their poster and abstract. Is it possible that, on the BD-C5500 as it is on the WD Live TV, like this:
post #143 of 1614 Old 04-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Before tweaking w/DVE, I wanted to update the software. I have the right .ruf file on USB drive, plug in & go to TV menu. Only option is upgrade via Internet. Where is the "USB update" option??? Samsung site says we can update using CD as well but no .iso file anywhere.

Yes, I could network, I don't want to run ethernet cable or buy the wireless dongle. I do XBMC downstairs.

How do I update without connecting to internet? Or is it just my machine?
post #144 of 1614 Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM

Hey guys,

I've been lurking in this thread for awhile, so far everything's been pretty good with my BD-C5500. I've been playing MKV files on my external hard USB HDD (Western Digital MyBook 1TB). Most files play fine (except for the lack of embedded subtitles) but occasionally when I'll be watching a movie the player will suddenly skip to the next track. I have no idea why this is. The files are all different sizes, some with multiple audio tracks, some without. Some have embedded subtitles, some don't. The strangest thing is that they'll play for a while (sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes over an hour) before going out. I know the HDD isn't falling asleep, partly because the timing is always different, and partly because it's externally powered by an AC adapter.

Has anyone else had this issue? I haven't seen anything posted so far which is why I asked. FYI I have the latest firmware upgrade (from Apr 13th or so, literally just a week ago or so).

Also - I asked Samsung but they misinterpreted my answer - does anyone know if there are plans to support file "resume" functionality in any future FW updates? My XBOX 360 used to remember where I'd stopped a file, but the C5500 always restarts from the beginning of the movie. Annoying!
post #145 of 1614 Old 04-25-2010, 11:09 PM

Liked: 14
is my Samsung BD-C5500 defective? I got this from target a couple days ago. First thing I did was update to latest firmware. Thankfully I still have the receipt. I played AVATAR my first movie in this player everything was great. Video and sound DTS-MA was playing nice. Then I put in Gamer into the player, got video and sound during cutscenes but DTS-MA was not being sent to the receiver. So I put AVATAR back in, same issue. Then I put GAMER into my PC that is also hooked to my receiver via Auzentech sound card and wala, DTS-MA plays fine to my receiver. So I know it's not my receiver and not the movie. THe reason I bought a BD player was so that I would not have to deal with the weird studdering I get on my PC even though my PC exeeds the BD requirements. But that's not what this is about.

So I'm considering returning this player to target and go to best buy to buy a LG or a Sony. I want to stick to the same price $179 but still have the option to get pandora, netflix and etc like the samsung had.

Is is a known issue with the latest Samsung or has anyone had this issue?

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

post #146 of 1614 Old 04-26-2010, 12:00 AM

Liked: 14
Looks like it may be just a minor issue. I powered it off then on again then it started to send the DTS-MA to the receiver as it's supposed to. Not sure yet if I want to keep this or still get an LG or a Sony.

Xbox Live: ShadyFusion23

PSN: Nukleard1sa5t0r

post #147 of 1614 Old 04-27-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

BD Wise = With other compatible Samsung components, BD Wise, which is an inter-connectivity function, enables you to either (On mode) output the original resolution of the BD or DVD disc to the TV, or (Off mode) output a fixed resolution according to the resolution previously set.

Despite posts to the contrary, I was very disappointed with the DVD upscaling when I stuck my Digital Video Essential disc in to adjust the PQ. Ironic. After reading the above - if you have BD Wise = On, does it pass the signal as 480i or 480p? I'm playing on Samsung C6300SF LED so it may explain the fact the PQ is OK on non-Sammy displays???

So when people say their PQ either Blu-ray or DVD is excellent, it would be nice to indicate if they are using a Samsung display with BDWise On or Off.
post #148 of 1614 Old 04-27-2010, 07:17 PM

I can not find where I can see Netlix at Samsung BD-C5500C,

I only see youtube

HELP

Thanks

Alejandro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdtvman-2 View Post

I'm starting a new thread for the Samsung BD-C5500C Blu-Ray Player I recently (3-13) purchased at Costco.

I bought this because of its internet connection options. I have just updated the firmware dated 3-15.

I've watched one movie, The Hurt Locker, without incident. I've used it for several hours with Netflix and it works better than my PS3 which I use in my bedroom.

Also I have use it to watch my DivX videos that I have stored on two Windows machines. One is running Vista and the other Windows 7. This is also working better than the PS3.

I'd like to use it to watch the upcoming NCAA basketball games (if possible) and major league baseball games also streamed on the net.

If anyone has suggestions of how I set that up, please let me know.

Samsung has a winner here if the connection to net streaming options are easy to use.

Hdtvman,
Royal Oak, MI

post #149 of 1614 Old 04-27-2010, 07:25 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALDAIMAGEN View Post

I can not find where I can see Netlix at Samsung BD-C5500C,

I only see youtube

HELP

Thanks

Alejandro

It should be in the top of the screen when you press the MENU button (along with Blockbuster, Vudu, etc.)

Bob
post #150 of 1614 Old 04-27-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Yes, I have 2 Cat 5 cables going into my stereo cabinet and both work on the Xbox - I keep swapping them out to no avail. Maybe it is just something wrong with the unit and I will replace and try again. Samsung Level 1 and 2 support was horrible. They actually told me that plugging and unplugging to find a network is the way the unit is supposed to work and it cannot keep on a network. Other than the connection, I like the unit, so I am hoping it is a defect. Besides one other post, I haven't been able to find any issues with networking with this unit, so maybe it is an isolated incident.

I am comming in a little late to the show, so if this has already been taken
care of..sorry.

1. In windows hit start, run, type cmd, a window will open. If you are running WIN7, after hitting start icon just start typing.
2. Type ipconfig/all, you will then get all the information you need to input network info manually. The IPV4 address is for your computer just change the last number. (192.168.10.105 computer, for BD use 192.168.10.106)
3. Your gateway, subnet and dns info will all be listed.

As for the tech telling you if you keep reconnecting your cable it should find network information, he is correct most home networks are setup for DHCP which allows your equipment to find network setting when you turn them on. The method I listed above will give you static setting that will not change.

I hope this helps, I monitor this site daily, if you have any questions let me know.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page