Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 1618 Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afroteddy View Post

I just sprayed a few blasts of canned air in it through the tray opening and it's doing a little bit better. Maybe a cleaning disc will help?

Tried that, but it didn't help. (And even playing the cleaning disc was tricky, as it also is a BD so it had the same problems loading! I'm surprised that this problem is so widespread among so many Samsung models. Wonder how long the new models will last.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 1618 Old 05-25-2013, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Any other experiences with firmware release 1028 yet? As usual the Samsung release notes just say: "Improve specific disc's playback capability".

Kudos to Samsung for still releasing firmware updates for this 3-year-old model, but maybe we are at the point now where the ongoing changes to attempt to work around crazy new Blu-Ray disc copy protection schemes break as many discs as they fix.
I agree that it is nice to still see updates for this player, but posts 1551 and 1552 make me reluctant to update my C5500 until I see a need to.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #1563 of 1618 Old 06-01-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

My player no longer seems to wanna play my blue ray discs. It either spins a lot and tries real hard and gives up or it freezes and skips and then gives up and ejects the disc. It plays regular DVDs fine... for now. Is it a lost cause?

Quote:

I just sprayed a few blasts of canned air in it through the tray opening and it's doing a little bit better. Maybe a cleaning disc will help? Why would the player play DVDs but have problems with the BLUs?

Well I invested $10 in the highly rated Maxwell blu-ray lens cleaning disc with the two holes in it... no improvement. I hate to get rid of the thing but I don't think I have a need for a smart DVD player. :-(

post #1564 of 1618 Old 06-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Is the consensus to NOT update the firmware if your BD player is working fine? So far, I have chosen not to install the update.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #1565 of 1618 Old 06-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

Is the consensus to NOT update the firmware if your BD player is working fine? So far, I have chosen not to install the update.

I don't think my input will offer any advice to anybody but I updated the firmware. I usually only play avchd discs and burned BD's..
Everything seems to work the same..
post #1566 of 1618 Old 06-11-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help. I have my computer hooked up to the BDC hardwired to the same router as my computer. The PC share does connect. I have tried to rip a movie dvd and then watch it on the PC share, but it doesn't work. I tried MKV and the video showed by the sound said it couldn't read the codec. Not sure what to do,. Should I convert the ripped DVD to MKV AVI or what and with what settings (as there are many). I would like to watch it full screen not like a small mp4. Thanks
post #1567 of 1618 Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM

I usually use Vob2Mpg for dvd's, the resulting file plays on the BD player through the USB, without re-encoding.
post #1568 of 1618 Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMcGee1 View Post

I usually use Vob2Mpg for dvd's, the resulting file plays on the BD player through the USB, without re-encoding.

Does it output the entire disc to 1-mpg file? Does it retain chapter info so you can navigate?
TY
post #1569 of 1618 Old 06-12-2013, 03:00 AM

That converter is not free so I used Aiseesoft Total Video Converter and chose MKV. It worked, but it took each .vob file separately, so I have to watch each file separately. The sound was good also. Could step ahead, but not fast forward. Wish there was a better way.
post #1570 of 1618 Old 06-13-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego View Post

The continuing firmware updates for these older models (kudos to Samsung for this) seem to be in two areas:

1. Fixing playback problems with specific Blu-Ray releases (probably caused by strange new copy-protection schemes)

2. Enabling new apps from the online app store that required some unknown change in the api

Obviously you don't need to worry about the first unless you actually encounter a disc that has problems. Unfortunately Samsung doesn't list those discs, so there's no way to know if a firmware update would fix the problem. More likely for a recent release.

Samsung also doesn't say anything about the second area. I've just noted on a few occasions that new apps did not appear until a firmware update was done. But I think it's pretty rare.

I don't think Samsung is bothering to add any new features to old firmware, nor would they retro-fit new copy-protection restrictions like Cinavia (why would they? it's not required for these older players, it would cost them money in development and support, and the older hardware might not not have sufficient memory or performance to support it when it wasn't required at the time the model was released).
post #1571 of 1618 Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattydad View Post

That converter is not free so I used Aiseesoft Total Video Converter and chose MKV. It worked, but it took each .vob file separately, so I have to watch each file separately.

Use the Merge function in Total Video Converter to create a single output file.
post #1572 of 1618 Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM

The free version of Vob2Mpg does not output chapters, but you can advance through the single file using the tools button on your remote. Press Tools and scroll to playing time and enter the time desired.
post #1573 of 1618 Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tried to use the Internet features of the box this week for the first time in a long time. It told me it needed to do some updating and did update and add apps. Eventually it gets to telling me that it needs to update Vudu and it sits there halfway through the update. Anyone been through this already and have the solution?
post #1574 of 1618 Old 10-15-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernie33 View Post

Tried to use the Internet features of the box this week for the first time in a long time. It told me it needed to do some updating and did update and add apps. Eventually it gets to telling me that it needs to update Vudu and it sits there halfway through the update. Anyone been through this already and have the solution?
When that's happened with me, the only way I was ever able to get past it was to do a factory reset.

XBL: mmjp08 PSN: mikeny1
post #1575 of 1618 Old 11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone found a way to get the newer Apps like Amazon Prime instant video or Redbox on these older SAmsung Bluray players?

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
post #1576 of 1618 Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Can't.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1577 of 1618 Old 11-06-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sucks really - invested in a BD-C5500 in every room with TV as was cheaper than a stand alone media streamer but now cannot get any of the new Apps.

Typically way these firms run their business - sod consumer lets make more money by forcing change.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
post #1578 of 1618 Old 11-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Manufacturers have to pay for the apps. Noone adds apps to a 2-3 year old discontinued BD player. Best bet is to get a dedicated streaming device like the ROKU.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #1579 of 1618 Old 11-08-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I had your problem (with Vudu frozen) myself last year with the C5500. You have too many apps loaded and Samsung cannot update Vudu due to memory limitations. Login to your admin area and remove some non-essential apps - then Vudu will update.

I've mothballed my C5500 as a DLNA media client - very happy with my NetGear NTV550 (I have 2) since it supports bitstreamed audio (DTS-MA 100%, HDD Dolby 100% with some tricks, FLAC 99%), ISO play, chapters, and subtitles.

KWS
post #1580 of 1618 Old 11-12-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

I had your problem (with Vudu frozen) myself last year with the C5500. You have too many apps loaded and Samsung cannot update Vudu due to memory limitations. Login to your admin area and remove some non-essential apps - then Vudu will update.

I've mothballed my C5500 as a DLNA media client - very happy with my NetGear NTV550 (I have 2) since it supports bitstreamed audio (DTS-MA 100%, HDD Dolby 100% with some tricks, FLAC 99%), ISO play, chapters, and subtitles.

KWS

I'm having a similar issue.  I haven't used the apps in ages, but decided to set up plex on the player.  When I try to add the app, it says I don't have enough free space (only 300k or so free out of 60MB).  Problem is, I've added no other apps!  The only ones I have are the 5 that seem to be stock that I can't erase (Youtube, Rovi, Twitter, CinemaNow, Netflix).  Any ideas on how I can free up some space?

post #1581 of 1618 Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan12 View Post

I'm having a similar issue.  I haven't used the apps in ages, but decided to set up plex on the player.  When I try to add the app, it says I don't have enough free space (only 300k or so free out of 60MB).  Problem is, I've added no other apps!  The only ones I have are the 5 that seem to be stock that I can't erase (Youtube, Rovi, Twitter, CinemaNow, Netflix).  Any ideas on how I can free up some space?
That was also my situation when I asked the question. Doing the factory reset resolved the problem.
post #1582 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 AM

Quote:

That was also my situation when I asked the question. Doing the factory reset resolved the problem.

The factory reset (at least I think that's what I did - hold Stop until the system resets and goes back to the initial setup) stopped the install from hanging, but the player still shows that the HDD is full.  I've done it about 3 times now, with now success.  My suspicion is that there are some remains of previous apps that just haven't been properly deleted, and that the HDD needs to be re-formated or something to clear the space. Either that or the 5 base apps have grown in size and now take up the whole 60MB - although this would be the same for everyone else here which doesn't seem to be the case.

Any other ideas? 

post #1583 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:

The factory reset (at least I think that's what I did - hold Stop until the system resets and goes back to the initial setup) stopped the install from hanging, but the player still shows that the HDD is full.  I've done it about 3 times now, with now success.  My suspicion is that there are some remains of previous apps that just haven't been properly deleted, and that the HDD needs to be re-formated or something to clear the space. Either that or the 5 base apps have grown in size and now take up the whole 60MB - although this would be the same for everyone else here which doesn't seem to be the case.

Any other ideas? 

I have an old Plex client installed as well as the apps to which you refer, and Vudu. I suspect that the apps have grown over time. Perhaps the Plex client has grown enough to cause memory issues. I would suggest, however, that you look carefully at the admin area where your programs reside to ensure that you have room. IIRC all of them show the memory utilization stats and you can add up their sizes.

Also - I removed Vudu before I upgraded it, then installed from scratch (during an update, I presume that they maintain separate copies of the app). This may be the case in your situation - that you are actually maintaining two copies of a large app during the upgrade process.

KWS
post #1584 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:

Any other ideas? 

In addition, t suspect that the factory reset interrupted the installation and left remnants of the partially loaded/installed app, as well as the original non-upgraded version. Deleting the original may solve this, but you may have to find a way to purge the drive and start from scratch.

KWS
post #1585 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:

I have an old Plex client installed as well as the apps to which you refer, and Vudu. I suspect that the apps have grown over time. Perhaps the Plex client has grown enough to cause memory issues. I would suggest, however, that you look carefully at the admin area where your programs reside to ensure that you have room. IIRC all of them show the memory utilization stats and you can add up their sizes.

Also - I removed Vudu before I upgraded it, then installed from scratch (during an update, I presume that they maintain separate copies of the app). This may be the case in your situation - that you are actually maintaining two copies of a large app during the upgrade process.

KWS

Thanks. Can you help me as to how to "look carefully at the admin area"?  The only place I've found to look at this stuff is in the settings screen within Internet TV.  When I look at "my apps" there is nothing.  When I go to properties, it says 5 apps installed, 60MB/60MB used.  I haven't been able to find more detail than that.

post #1586 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 06:07 AM

As a different approach, is there a way to direct the app download to USB storage? If I can do that it will get around the space limitation.

post #1587 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Thanks. Can you help me as to how to "look carefully at the admin area"?  The only place I've found to look at this stuff is in the settings screen within Internet TV.  When I look at "my apps" there is nothing.  When I go to properties, it says 5 apps installed, 60MB/60MB used.  I haven't been able to find more detail than that.

I'm at the office now, and I haven't looked at my Samsung apps in over a year. But I know that somewhere in the administration area, where the apps are actually removed, they show the size of each app installed. I remember going there and removing everything that was removable - and then reinstalling those apps that wouldn't upgrade, specifically Vudu. After doing this maintenance, everything worked without a hitch - and then I discovered hardware media servers.

IIRC this would be the same area to which you went to install Flex originally.

KWS

PS - I've never used USB storage...
post #1588 of 1618 Old 11-13-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:

I'm at the office now, and I haven't looked at my Samsung apps in over a year. But I know that somewhere in the administration area, where the apps are actually removed, they show the size of each app installed. I remember going there and removing everything that was removable - and then reinstalling those apps that wouldn't upgrade, specifically Vudu. After doing this maintenance, everything worked without a hitch - and then I discovered hardware media servers.

IIRC this would be the same area to which you went to install Flex originally.

KWS

PS - I've never used USB storage...

OK, thanks.  I already went through there and removed everything I could - still tells me that there's no memory left.  I guess I'll have to try my luck with Samsung tech support...

post #1589 of 1618 Old 11-20-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I was able to install the latest Plex update without problems. I had an older version of it, and maybe 10 other optional apps. I didn't check the free memory before doing the Plex update, but I'm sure there was enough free since I regularly clean out old apps that I don't use.

I might not have bothered with checking out Plex again if I hadn't gotten a Roku media player recently. Plex has become very popular with Roku users, and there have been a lot of really great improvements since I last tried Plex Media Server on my desktop PC.

Surprse! The new Plex client on the C5500 does everything the Roku Plex client does, and it looks even better (although it's a bit sluggish).

In particular the new Plex client finally has full support for Plex Channels. There are a huge number of Plex channels and plug-ins supporting a lot more video streaming services than Samsung has made available. After you check out the official channels, don't forget to check out the list of "unsupported" Plex plug-ins. There's even an "Unsupported app store" plug-in so you can get all those extra channels even more easily. Keep in mind that Plex Media Server must be running on your PC (or other server platform) to support this. That's both a plus and a minus - you need to keep your computer on, but you can manage your internet access method on the PC instead of on the Blu-Ray player.
post #1590 of 1618 Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwnnybike View Post

Has anyone played regular DVD's. I was watching "Inglourious Basterds" and noticed some strange lines in areas when people blinked and around the lips when they were moving. Then I noticed larger areas when when scenes changed. I have the 5500 and 6500 and both do it on a Sumsung and a Hitachi. It's not a all the time thing just now and then. I have a Philips DB player and they play fine. Also tried a Panasonic with up convert HDMI output and OK. qP1gHThe 5500 and 6500 are I assume doing the up convert for regular DVD's. Tried some settings with no change. The fact it does it on two different brands HDTV's eliminates that and they play ok in another brand BD player says Samsung has a problem. Anyone experienced this?

I haven't seen that but I did encounter a scratched Blu-Ray that wouldn't play in the PS3 Slim but would play on the Samsung. It froze in a couple parts and skipped 10 minutes early in the movie. Another bad disk from Blockbuster. My membership ends today.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page