Forum Jump: 

post #1591 of 1614 Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by zookid80 View Post

I haven't seen that but I did encounter a scratched Blu-Ray that wouldn't play in the PS3 Slim but would play on the Samsung. It froze in a couple parts and skipped 10 minutes early in the movie. Another bad disk from Blockbuster. My membership ends today.

They'll be ending it for everyone in a few months anyway...

KWS
ThirdOracle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1614 Old 11-21-2013, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
I Have noticed the lines around the mouth and eyes. It some coverter problem with some players and LCDTV's. I have Inglorius bastards and something unique there as it did ok in some players but with the samsung connected to a samsung tv it was terrible. I don't think Sumsung will do much fixes on this stuff as there is a ton of problems on the 5500 with MKV, MP4 and others. Newer players will do better but still some still dont't play .Newer ones have audio watermark. None are perfect. They are so cheap now I don't know why they bother. It they made a player that has the VLC media player that is upgradeable we would have something. The best thing to do is get a laptop with HDMI output and USB ports connect to big screen TV. Not to bad. Small foot print desktops are cheap now and I have set one up just to play stuff. It does not have a blue ray capable drive but that can be replaced. This stuff is changing so fast and with all the tablets out it is endless. Anyway if a Samsung person is still tracking this site please still send upgrades. As to BlueRay I don't see that much difference in the picture. I usually buy the package or the regular DVD. With up convert and the fact they are enhanced for Big Screen TV's and I am getting older what's the diff.
post #1593 of 1614 Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
^ You're probably using too much Sharpening.
post #1594 of 1614 Old 12-09-2013, 10:51 AM

Hi everyone.

I've had the BD-C5500 for a few years now and have always had difficulty using it with DLNA. I have all of my media files including ripped bluray movie on an external 1 TB HD. All movies are .mp4 format using vidcoder. When I connect the HD directly to the front USB port the movies all play. Whenever I attempt to access the same movies when in a DLNA set up, I get a "not supported file format" for every movie. Both the HD and BD player are connected thru a router provided by the local cable provider (Cablevision/Optimum - Sagemcom) which is set up with USB posts and DLNA. I can see and access the HD fine but cannot playback any files (movies, photos, music).

Does this make any sense? Anything I can check on?

Thanks

Ken

post #1595 of 1614 Old 12-11-2013, 02:05 PM

I have the BD C5500 it seems to play fine and the remote while clunky is fine.If you set it under your light for a few seconds it has key remote buttons that light up.    The player is great. The wireless function was a huge pain to set up!  Took a couple hours. But then I've never connected a blu ray player to a wireless connection before. It kept giving me an error of does not support 801g....  Can't remember the rest of it. It didn't like my new Netgear router or my Motorola Surfboard extreme modem. I fiddled with some network settings and finally it connected. I set up a guest account on my network and sharing center. I'm not sure which network settings  it's connecting to at this point.  It looks like my Netgear router.   I did have to do this manually using a static IP address etc.

Overall just playing blu ray discs it does fine. It's a bit slow loading and going back chapters etc. But nothing I can't live with.

I'm going to buy the 6500 which is wireless already and doesn't need Samsung's LAN adapter (which I purchased new  for about $25.00 on eBay). However, because I have that plugged in,  I can't plug in a flash drive to make room for more apps. The memory was full when I received it. It had about 10 apps pre-loaded or previously loaded. Most Apps I will never use, so I deleted them this made room in the players internal memory.

I bought this off eBay for very cheap. So it's no big deal buying another one off eBay which will be more up to date. Also one that can easily connect to my wireless network without the Samsung required LAN adapter

. If you are thinking of purchasing this one I'd say hold off and buy a more current one.

I've only used the player for regular blu ray discs thus far. I have yet to use any of the apps.

As to if it's a decent player alone. I'd say yes. I do not have it hooked up to a sound  system. Just cable box and T.V. Unfortunately my rarely used, RCA surround sound box, started making a loud buzzing noise. So simple set up is the way I have it set up for now.

Long story short. It plays b.r movies great. Again, if you can hold off for a newer model I'd purchase a newer one. Then you can easily use all the bells and whistles they come with.

As just a player it's nice enough

Happy movie watching!  :p

ThirdOracle

post #1596 of 1614 Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnaco View Post

I've had the BD-C5500 for a few years now and have always had difficulty using it with DLNA. I have all of my media files including ripped bluray movie on an external 1 TB HD. All movies are .mp4 format using vidcoder. When I connect the HD directly to the front USB port the movies all play. Whenever I attempt to access the same movies when in a DLNA set up, I get a "not supported file format" for every movie.
Does this make any sense? Anything I can check on?

Just because a video file format is supported for local playback from a USB drive does not mean that the same file format will work via DLNA using any given DLNA server. software. DLNA is a very loose standard, and DLNA servers vary a lot in their capability. If you try different DLNA servers, you will find that some will work with certain file formats, and others not. They also often have client settings that need to be tuned specifically for the Samsung in order to work properly.

In my experience the Samsung BD-C5500 has a very wide range of file format support for playing back files from local USB media, probably the best of any of my media players aside from a Windows HTPC. But via DLNA it's a lot more selective. I find it works best with Serviio, which is tuned for Samsung out of the box.
post #1597 of 1614 Old 12-11-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOracle View Post

... because I have that plugged in,  I can't plug in a flash drive to make room for more apps.

The BD-C5500 has 2 USB ports (front and rear), and it also works with USB hubs to expand the number of USB ports. You can plug any USB device, including the wireless adapter, into either USB port or into a hub attached to either USB port. The manual implies that the wireless adapter has to plug into the rear USB port directly, but in fact it doesn't matter.

However you cannot expand the app memory with a flash drive plugged into the USB port. The app memory is fixed at half the amount of the BD-C6500. Nevertheless I've never had any problem with it since I don't see much point in cluttering up the app memory with a lot of stuff that you will try once and then never use again.

Quote:
If you are thinking of purchasing this one I'd say hold off and buy a more current one.

Actually these older Blu-Ray players are a valuable commodity now, since they have component video output, digital audio output, and no Cinavia copy protection baked in. The only thing better on newer models is the faster processor for apps.
post #1598 of 1614 Old 12-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Thanks for replying.

DLNA in this case is built into the wireless router and I don't believe can be tweaked. At least I haven't seen any configurations in the router admin.

Why would I be able to stream movies from any laptop or computer on the same network using the same files and same DLNA client? The only device which cannot stream the files is the samsung unless it connected directly to the samsung?

post #1599 of 1614 Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Most devices like routers that offer a DLNA server use a licensed version of Twonky or some other established Linux software. It is possible to modify the config files or update the DLNA server software in the device, but you probably need to gain root access to Linux on the device to do that. I've done it with my Iomega NAS - it has an old version of Twonky that didn't play well with the BD-C5500 originally, and modifying the config files to add a custom Samsung profile helped a lot. However the procedure for gaining root access to the device will vary with each device - you'll have to do some internet research about your router.

Once you gain root access, you'll want to try updating the device profiles in the DLNA server config files to add a special Samsung profile (example: http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topics/how_do_i_create_a_client_profile_for_samsungs_bd_d5500). This tells the DLNA server that when it sees a client device identifying itself as a "Samsung BD-C5500", it should use the specified settings. That may allow most of your video files to play. However, you might also need to update the DLNA server software to a newer version to support a wider range of file formats. That's harder to do, and you might need to purchase a license for the DLNA server software.
post #1600 of 1614 Old 12-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Thanks I found the front USB port! It shuts in such a way that I never saw it until ppl here were talking about it. It's hiding in plain sight so to speak.
Valuable? An older device? How did I get it for so cheap? Am I lucky? Anyhoo, thanks for talking about the other USB port. I don't think I'd ever noticed it otherwise. Now I need to know why HDVX doesn't play well. Very little network traffic at the time I tried playing my first movie. Plus a very strong signal on my network?
post #1601 of 1614 Old 12-13-2013, 11:42 AM

I meant I didnt see it. Not never saw it! It's flush with the front of the player. A little bit odd how it opens. What's the smaller port for on the side front of the player? Not a regular USB port. It's smaller. Anyone know? I bet you all do! I can't find the manual except online. I better read it all the way through. Duh!
post #1602 of 1614 Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM

Thanks again for the insights.

I also have an LG 3D bluray player which I've added to my network. With both the LG and Samsung when the HD is connected directly, all media files (music, movies, photos) can be accessed and played back fine. When the HD is accessed via the Sagemcom 3965CV DLNA client I can access/playback on both bluray players music files, photos and dvd's. But when attempting bluray's in the same container (.mp4) I get the proverbial "not supported format". Could this be due to the audio files associated with the bluray disks?

I did some poking around about trying to gain root access to the sagemcom 3965CV but didn't turn up much. This may be doubly difficult as both Sagemcom and Cablevision have code and security built into the device.

Ken 

post #1603 of 1614 Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Most modern DLNA servers and client players can handle mp4 with one H.264 video track and one AAC stereo audio track, since that's pretty much the Apple default. It starts to get more problematic if you introduce variations, even though they are technically allowed by the mp4 format. Unfortunately most player implementations are careless and ad-hoc in their format support, since nobody's enforcing any universal standards. Some will handle a DD5.1 AC3 sound track, others won't. Some will play the sound ok if you you put the AAC stereo audio track first, and the 5.1 AC3 audio track 2nd, others choke on it. Converters like Handbrake will attempt to add a text chapter mark track if you let them, and many players will choke on that.

After many attempts to find a video format that would serve for both archival and compatibility purposes, I gave up. Now I rip to a high-quality archival format with all audio tracks and chapter marks preserved if I want to keep it, and just generate an extra throwaway mp4 H.264/AAC version for playback on my various devices.
post #1604 of 1614 Old 12-26-2013, 02:28 PM

Thanks again for responding. I have a grasp of some the complexities your are sharing. What I find more confusing with this scenario is that the same player will playback the same file IF attached directly via USB but will choke on the file if it comes from the network via DLNA. It seems more like DLNA in the router is the variable that is being introduced which is causing the player to choke. And in some of the threads where DLNA servers are used these same files (audio/video) can be played back by the player. I've attempted to contact the router manufacturer support team to see if they have any thoughts as to why I am have this issue.

post #1605 of 1614 Old 01-03-2014, 04:39 PM

Question on Audio settings...

I spent half the day on with tech support and got to a - send in for service.

What I am trying to do is add a soundbar to my television.  I have my BD-C5500 connected via HDMI cable and will play on my TV speakers when I have them enabled.  With the sound bar, I turn them off and turn the surround on.  My TV is connected to my soundbar via an optical cable.

My TV stations work on the soundbar with no issues.  

I cannot get any sound from my bluray to my soundbar.  I have tried all the different audio settings on BD-C5500....any suggestions???

post #1606 of 1614 Old 01-06-2014, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommybo View Post

Question on Audio settings...

I spent half the day on with tech support and got to a - send in for service.

What I am trying to do is add a soundbar to my television.  I have my BD-C5500 connected via HDMI cable and will play on my TV speakers when I have them enabled.  With the sound bar, I turn them off and turn the surround on.  My TV is connected to my soundbar via an optical cable.

My TV stations work on the soundbar with no issues.  

I cannot get any sound from my bluray to my soundbar.  I have tried all the different audio settings on BD-C5500....any suggestions???
Most TVs don't pass through (HDMI) digital audio to the optical out port. (DRM and licensing issues)
You might check TV settings for down converting audio to stereo or pro-logic. (or allowing pass through?)

As far as the C5500 settings go, Bitstream (audiophile) would only possibly work properly with something that has HDMI 1.3 support but that would probably not pass through the TV. Bitstream (re-encode) would require DTS support, again probably would not pass through. PCM would be your best bet, assuming sound bar support and pass through. The C5500 does not seem to have stereo over HDMI options which is probably the only signal that would pass through the TV without down converting.

Broadcast TV is permitted to pass through digital audio with regards to DRM and copy protection.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #1607 of 1614 Old 01-27-2014, 12:03 PM

Helo,,

I have a C5500 directly plugged into the router ( router is repeater ) by LAN (I have wifi too). It finds the DLNA server, in my case MINIDLNA and TVMOBILI ,at the first time and everything runs smooth. 

However when switching offf and only i can select the servers if i change IP adress or restarting the server.

Does anyone know the solution to this? 

Sorry if already discussed but not found a way to search for this problem

post #1608 of 1614 Old 04-14-2014, 04:43 PM

Bumping an oldie for an old player. Does anyone still try and use the Plex app with this player. I found that it used to work good about a year ago, but now it's more trouble than it's worth. I suspect it's because of the upgraded media server on the PC side... but I'm not so sure. Basically, it's hit or miss. My media will play something for a full 50min show.. or about 30min into it I'll notice that the duration timer has stopped or is making strange 'skips'. I basically then just power off the player and on to rejoin from that part otherwise it will crap out entirely. I'm using the latest plex media server and app version 1.005 (as I don't think it will ever be upgraded).

Has anyone had any luck editing the settings on either the PMS or the App on the BD player? I've read things about setting the buffers to 1-1-1 (mb), but that didn't seem to help.

Cheers.
post #1609 of 1614 Old 04-14-2014, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For what its worth I still have 5 of these and been using Mezzmo without any issues - currently they are in Beta with a number of new features including Android streaming and Chromecast.

There support of old players like this continues and respond quickly.

Highly recommend them!

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #1610 of 1614 Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I already ordered a Chromecast stick in the meantime.. I'm done with this player and media streaming, but it has served me well. I'm going use my Nexus 7 (2013) to fling my plex library to it instead.
post #1611 of 1614 Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 PM

I've lost intnernet apps (pandora/etc).

Today when I boot up the main menu shows I need to activate internet@tv or something.

When I try running on it, it says it needs to update... but never completes...

Right now my screen shows "Service Update / Viaway /(1/4) / Updating Service..." with a status bar that hasn't moved in two hours and I"d estimate is at about 5%. I've already tried power cycling and repeating, it does this every time.

I'm annoyed, I want to use this thing for Pandora...

Anyone else having similar problem? Workaround? Ideas? I kinda expected to see this forum full of people with same issue!
post #1612 of 1614 Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I suspect many people have done what I have done. I very carefully Never select Internet@TV for fear that it will break basic operations trying to update things that have not been ported to this machine. I don't use Pandora but I know that Netflix no longer works properly due to lack of audio, subtitle, and language options. And never will. They changed their interface and this unit does not support it. I use an older version DLNA server (Serviio 0.62) for the same reason.

I am similarly annoyed but this player pre-dates the "analog sunset" rules and will never be considered secure enough to handle the DRM that content providers require. I like it for that reason - it has HD analog (component) outputs for my older projector.

I accept its limitations and bought a streaming media player for Internet applications and playing computer files. (DVR capture card recordings)

You might want to check the support pages on the various App websites to see if this machine is even still supported.

post #1613 of 1614 Old 07-02-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
I suspect many people have done what I have done. I very carefully Never select Internet@TV for fear that it will break basic operations trying to update things that have not been ported to this machine. I don't use Pandora but I know that Netflix no longer works properly due to lack of audio, subtitle, and language options. And never will. They changed their interface and this unit does not support it. I use an older version DLNA server (Serviio 0.62) for the same reason.

I am similarly annoyed but this player pre-dates the "analog sunset" rules and will never be considered secure enough to handle the DRM that content providers require. I like it for that reason - it has HD analog (component) outputs for my older projector.

I accept its limitations and bought a streaming media player for Internet applications and playing computer files. (DVR capture card recordings)

You might want to check the support pages on the various App websites to see if this machine
is even still supported.
I solved this particular issue by doing a reset to default (hold down stop with no disc in tray), then afterwards when it updated internet@tv it did 5 updates and they went thru fine. Pandora was back on main menu, and after re-activating it thru pc, it works again. I didn't test other apps cuz I rarely (if ever) use them.

But I didn't initally purposely select internet@tv. A few days ago when I turned it on the icons for internet-stuff on the top of the main menu disappeared and it said I had to reactivate internet@tv. But Netflix was working for me last time I tried it, but I admit it's been a while, and it never had subtitles or surround sound when I did use it, so we mainly used it from my PC which is also hooked up to the tv...

My TV is an older HDTV and doesn't have HDMI, so yeah I need a player with analog out. I had to look up analog sunset (which wikipedia only talks about tv, but found other stuff about disc players) and until now I didn't realize they'd stopped making bd players with analog hd out, I would have that analog will always be available on some machines since (besides people with older TVs like me and projectors like you) its better for long distances, splitting to multiple tvs, etc. What I read says cable/dish boxes are required to keep their hd analog out by some fcc law tho, so that's something.

When I first bought this player, it was to replace a HD-DVD player, in which I hooked up video via component and audio thru HDMI (to get the better audio than spdif). The Samsung wouldn't do that, if I had the HDMI hooked up to my receiver then the video switched to 480p. I immediately called tech support (this was my first day and I assumed I just had a setting wrong) and after working with them they said it should work, appeared to be a firmware problem and would be fixed in an update. Every firmware update for the next year or so I rehooked up the HDMI audio and still video would go to 480p. I also posted on a cnet (I think) thread they were supposedly monitoring. To this day, they STILL haven't fixed that. Not to mention embedded subtitles in mkv's never worked, there were issues with dual layer recordable discs I can't quite remember the details of (as I gave up trying). So I agree Samsung kinda gave up supporting this model shortly after release and I certainly know now their promises to update/support mean nothing.
post #1614 of 1614 Old 07-02-2014, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

When they try to legislate technology, it rarely works out well for the consumer. In this case, one law says no analog on BD players but another says to retain it on Cable boxes. Go figure.

The first stage was to drop Component but Composite remained. A year later Composite disappeared. You would have thought that down-resolving to 480i would have been sufficient to satisfy DRM requirements but no, analog had to go completely away.

You might want to track down an HDMI to Component/Composite adapter. Particularly one that is not HDCP compliant. I bought a "ViewHD" myself and it will supply Composite/S-Video from the HDMI output of my Samsung, even on BluRay movies. Hopefully it will work on the next player I have to buy.

The last time I used it, Netflix worked on American titles but not for Foreign movies since I could not select languages or subtitles. I now use a WD TV Live for Netflix and file play. It has HDMI and Composite outputs. If I ever want Amazon Prime, I'll need a Roku2 which also has a composite output since the WD doesn't do Amazon.

Samsung my have been stuck between the proverbial "rock and a hard place". In order to upgrade/update they probably had to add Cinavia support (blocking any ripped movies) but either the hardware couldn't do it and/or it would have cost $ per unit to license that technology for products that had already been sold with no way to recoup the cost. (DRM technology costs money to license even if it is required)

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page