Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1614 Old 05-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a Samsung 55" LCD HDTV (LN55C630) and it came with the Samsung BD-C5500 bluray player. This player and tv plays bluray movies amazingly. Standard def dvd's however look terrible - they are rough and grainy almost to the point of being unwatchable. Also some dvds play the movie in a very small box that is cut off on the sides (which is to be expected) AND the top and bottom.

I have messed around with the settings of the BD-C5500, trying to set the quality manually to 480i (p?) and changing the resolution to 4:3 and turning progressive scan on manually, etc. I also updated to the latest firmware on the tv and bluray player through the internet. Nothing seems to help. Looking around on the internet I have not been able to find someone with similar problems with this unit.

I was hoping someone had a suggestion or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1614 Old 05-08-2010, 08:46 AM

Hey Everyone,

I recently purchased a Samsung 55" LCD HDTV (LN55C630) and it came with the Samsung BD-C5500 bluray player. This player and tv plays bluray movies amazingly. Standard def dvd's however look terrible - they are rough and grainy almost to the point of being unwatchable. Also some dvds play the movie in a very small box that is cut off on the sides (which is to be expected) AND the top and bottom.

I have messed around with the settings of the BD-C5500, trying to set the quality manually to 480i (p?) and changing the resolution to 4:3 and turning progressive scan on manually, etc. I also updated to the latest firmware on the tv and bluray player through their internet. Nothing seems to help. Looking around on the internet I have not been able to find someone with similar problems with this unit.

post #183 of 1614 Old 05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean00 View Post

Hey Everyone,

I have messed around with the settings of the BD-C5500, trying to set the quality manually to 480i (p?) and changing the resolution to 4:3 and turning progressive scan on manually, etc. I also updated to the latest firmware on the tv and bluray player through their internet. Nothing seems to help. Looking around on the internet I have not been able to find someone with similar problems with this unit.

It looks worse than DVD should? It's never going to look as good as Blu-ray, right?

Have you tried a calibration disc?

As for black margins on all four sides: some (mostly older) DVDs are made that way. See Anamorphic vs 4:3 letterboxed DVDs.

-Bill
post #184 of 1614 Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcclain View Post

It looks worse than DVD should? It's never going to look as good as Blu-ray, right?

Have you tried a calibration disc?

As for black margins on all four sides: some (mostly older) DVDs are made that way. See Anamorphic vs 4:3 letterboxed DVDs.

-Bill

Yes, it looks worse than a DVD should. The image is pixelated and grainy. I wish I had a working camera so that I could take a picture. A couple of people came over the other day and we tried to watch 300 and they were like "Wow this is terrible what is wrong" and so my quest began.

I have not tried a calibration disc, how would I go about getting one?
post #185 of 1614 Old 05-08-2010, 11:49 AM
One-Man Content Creator

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:

Yes, it looks worse than a DVD should. The image is pixelated and grainy. I wish I had a working camera so that I could take a picture. A couple of people came over the other day and we tried to watch 300 and they were like "Wow this is terrible what is wrong" and so my quest began.

I have not tried a calibration disc, how would I go about getting one?

The player does not get very good notes on DVD performance here: http://winstonsreviews.com/?p=131#more-131. I don't know if that matches what you are seeing.

You might try different output resolutions, although it would be inconvenient if the best DVD resolution were different than the best Blu-ray resolution. Presumably you want 1080p for Blu-ray.

Calibration discs: I have some notes in the OPPO FAQ; skip down to the DVD part: What are some recommended calibration discs?

-Bill
post #186 of 1614 Old 05-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, it looks worse than a DVD should. The image is pixelated and grainy.

How do you have your 5500 hooked up to your TV?

BTW, 300 is supposed to look (somewhat) grainy. That's the way it was mastered.

ÂThe sheriff and his buddies with their samurai swords.....Â
post #187 of 1614 Old 05-09-2010, 05:57 PM

I just purchased a BD-C5500C from my local Costco, un-boxed it and hooked it up to my PLV-Z2000 projector via my Onkyo SR707 receiver. When the player boots I am able to see the Samsung Blu-ray splash screen, but after that all I get is random noise/static. The picture will also pop out for a few seconds intermittently. I tried multiple HDMI cables (including the one provided by Samsung) and all had the same behavior.

There is a reference in the troubleshooting section of the user's manual which says that "if random noise appears on the screen, it means that TV does not support HDCP." However, there's no disc in the player, so why would that be an issue? Any suggestions are welcome.
post #188 of 1614 Old 05-09-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Does anyone know why my samsung keeps losing the netflix account. Every so often it tells my I need to enter the code on netflix's website. I check my registered devices on netflix and the c5500 is there. Does anyone know why this is happening?
post #189 of 1614 Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewplen View Post

I just purchased a BD-C5500C from my local Costco, un-boxed it and hooked it up to my PLV-Z2000 projector via my Onkyo SR707 receiver. When the player boots I am able to see the Samsung Blu-ray splash screen, but after that all I get is random noise/static. The picture will also pop out for a few seconds intermittently. I tried multiple HDMI cables (including the one provided by Samsung) and all had the same behavior.

There is a reference in the troubleshooting section of the user's manual which says that "if random noise appears on the screen, it means that TV does not support HDCP." However, there's no disc in the player, so why would that be an issue? Any suggestions are welcome.

I own the 606 and had to send it back for repair. Does you OSD work if you connect your mic for setup if not, you will need to send it in for repair. Also try to connect you player direct to your projector if you get the players setup menu, the problem is the receiver. I own the BD-C6500 and it has component, that is how I had to setup mine before it got fixed.
post #190 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

Does anyone know why my samsung keeps losing the netflix account. Every so often it tells my I need to enter the code on netflix's website. I check my registered devices on netflix and the c5500 is there. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Just wanted to confirm this issue. I don't know why it does this, but I've had to re-activate the device with Netflix 1 time already, and I've owned the player for less than a month.
post #191 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 06:55 AM

The MKV external subtitle color was an issue with 2009 Samsung Bluray players. Can someone tell me if it is still white and unreadable in white background scenes? Thanks.
post #192 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 09:10 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by podious View Post

Just wanted to confirm this issue. I don't know why it does this, but I've had to re-activate the device with Netflix 1 time already, and I've owned the player for less than a month.

This has happened to me a few times and I recall it was the first time I accessed Netflix after a firmware update. Perhaps it is related to the update.

Bob
post #193 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 02:05 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a BD-C5500. I updated the firmware to the latest version, but I seem to have a big problem. I popped in a DVD+R(not sure that matters, but just in case) with a 1080p mkv with subtitles. The subtitles didn't load but the movie did. Everything was working perfectly until about 3 minutes into the the movie. The screen all of a sudden went black and the player took me back to the video menu. I tried again with another mkv dvd (the same movie), and this time it played for about 6 minutes before it went black and stopped playing. There's also something weird in that it shows a 4.36gb file as being 380mb big.
I'm really confused, if anyone could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit: I copied the mkv file to my pen drive and it plays perfectly. It seems this player likes drives and not dvds, not sure why though. Only thing now is I need a an external hard drive since my little pen drive isnt big enough
post #194 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside View Post

How do you have your 5500 hooked up to your TV?

BTW, 300 is supposed to look (somewhat) grainy. That's the way it was mastered.

I have tried it hooked up both with an HDMI and a composite cable.

I know 300 has a unique filter, which just makes the problem worse and it is extremely pixelated
post #195 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adca14 View Post

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a BD-C5500. I updated the firmware to the latest version, but I seem to have a big problem. I popped in a DVD+R(not sure that matters, but just in case) with a 1080p mkv with subtitles. The subtitles didn't load but the movie did. Everything was working perfectly until about 3 minutes into the the movie. The screen all of a sudden went black and the player took me back to the video menu. I tried again with another mkv dvd (the same movie), and this time it played for about 6 minutes before it went black and stopped playing. There's also something weird in that it shows a 4.36gb file as being 380mb big.

Edit: I copied the mkv file to my pen drive and it plays perfectly. It seems this player likes drives and not dvds, not sure why though. Only thing now is I need a an external hard drive since my little pen drive isnt big enough

Have you tried streaming the MKV's from a DLNA server running on a PC?

See link in signature

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #196 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywardw View Post

I own the 606 and had to send it back for repair. Does you OSD work if you connect your mic for setup if not, you will need to send it in for repair. Also try to connect you player direct to your projector if you get the players setup menu, the problem is the receiver. I own the BD-C6500 and it has component, that is how I had to setup mine before it got fixed.

Yes, the OSD on my 707 works fine. I bought the Samsung to replace my Memorex player which was not being adequately supported by the OEM. The Memorex works fine with my Onkyo receiver, as do my other HDMI connected components (Xbox, cable box, etc). I tried the direct connection to the projector and got the same result. Looks like this is going to be a return to Costco.
post #197 of 1614 Old 05-10-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:

Hi Everyone,

I can tell you I have played 4.3GB MKV's off DVD from beginning to end, including one that has subtitles (that the player doesn't display) and multiple audio tracks. Mine were 720p tho.

I haven't been able to finish playing a 1080p mkv from disc tho... however what I tried was 8 gig files on dual-layer discs, and they both played about half way before returning to menu... my working assumption was that the player doesnt like DVD+R DL, tried the same movies on several brands of discs. Unfortunately I don't have a pen drive that big to try the same file via usb. Also of the two 1080p I have tried, one of them had some weird video spots intermittently that isnt present when I play on my computer. The other played fine (until it quit). Both were HDDVD backups. Neither would allow FF/REW and I got tired of watching the beginning of the same movie over and over so gave up on figuring it out. I also tried an 8 gig 720p on dvd+dl with similar results, since I knew my 720p on DVD5s work... at least all the ones I've tried.

I've basically come to the conclusion that mkv support on this player is a work in progress and not ready for prime time yet. Maybe next years models.
post #198 of 1614 Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeh View Post

The MKV external subtitle color was an issue with 2009 Samsung Bluray players. Can someone tell me if it is still white and unreadable in white background scenes? Thanks.

Anybody?
post #199 of 1614 Old 05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just got this player too ($84 at WM, just thought it was a great price) and had the same problem.

The HDMI output is set to "auto" by default. Although my projector accepts 1080p, it didn't seem to sync well with the Samsung. I connected it with component cable and changed the HDMI output from "auto" to 1080i and it works fine now.

I tried all the resolutions and 1080i looked best. 1080p would not sync with my projector, 720p looked good but worse than 1080i.

Hope this helps.
post #200 of 1614 Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:

Yes, the OSD on my 707 works fine. I bought the Samsung to replace my Memorex player which was not being adequately supported by the OEM. The Memorex works fine with my Onkyo receiver, as do my other HDMI connected components (Xbox, cable box, etc). I tried the direct connection to the projector and got the same result. Looks like this is going to be a return to Costco.

I agree, great troubleshooting.
post #201 of 1614 Old 05-11-2010, 05:49 PM

Liked: 11
this thing works great for me so far. the pcshare access stuff could be a little cleaner to manage from the remote.

what format should I convert all my dvd .iso's to for this thing to be able to stream them? im not very familiar with video formats, but prefer lossless audio/video
post #202 of 1614 Old 05-12-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

I just got this player too ($84 at WM, just thought it was a great price) and had the same problem.

The HDMI output is set to "auto" by default. Although my projector accepts 1080p, it didn't seem to sync well with the Samsung. I connected it with component cable and changed the HDMI output from "auto" to 1080i and it works fine now.

I tried all the resolutions and 1080i looked best. 1080p would not sync with my projector, 720p looked good but worse than 1080i.

Hope this helps.

Certainly helps, thanks. However, if it doesn't work at 1080p with my projector, then I dont' want it. $84 is an awesome price. I paid $160.
post #203 of 1614 Old 05-12-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

Hope this helps.

$84 ? Was this an open box? Or advertised price? It's $168 on their website.
post #204 of 1614 Old 05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Certainly helps, thanks. However, if it doesn't work at 1080p with my projector, then I dont' want it. $84 is an awesome price. I paid $160.

Is your projector 1080p? Mine isn't, so it doesn't really matter.
post #205 of 1614 Old 05-12-2010, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccol View Post

$84 ? Was this an open box? Or advertised price? It's $168 on their website.

$84 brand new, advertised as "unbeatable value". I just went to a different store today and checked to see, sure enough it was selling for 168 there.

I've noticed this before at WM - two stores across town have different prices on the same item.
post #206 of 1614 Old 05-12-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Have you tried streaming the MKV's from a DLNA server running on a PC?

See link in signature

I cant try that since I don't have the wifi adapter and my router and samsung c-5500 are seperated by quite a distance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma9o7; View Post

can tell you I have played 4.3GB MKV's off DVD from beginning to end, including one that has subtitles (that the player doesn't display) and multiple audio tracks. Mine were 720p tho.

I haven't been able to finish playing a 1080p mkv from disc tho... however what I tried was 8 gig files on dual-layer discs, and they both played about half way before returning to menu... my working assumption was that the player doesnt like DVD+R DL, tried the same movies on several brands of discs. Unfortunately I don't have a pen drive that big to try the same file via usb. Also of the two 1080p I have tried, one of them had some weird video spots intermittently that isnt present when I play on my computer. The other played fine (until it quit). Both were HDDVD backups. Neither would allow FF/REW and I got tired of watching the beginning of the same movie over and over so gave up on figuring it out. I also tried an 8 gig 720p on dvd+dl with similar results, since I knew my 720p on DVD5s work... at least all the ones I've tried.

I've basically come to the conclusion that mkv support on this player is a work in progress and not ready for prime time yet. Maybe next years models.

I also thought that maybe it doesn't like dvd+rs either. I'm gonna try later a 1080p mkv on dvd-r to see if it does the same thing. But I'm curious, have people played large 1080p mkvs from an external hard drive with no hiccups on our player?
post #207 of 1614 Old 05-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:

I also thought that maybe it doesn't like dvd+rs either. I'm gonna try later a 1080p mkv on dvd-r to see if it does the same thing. But I'm curious, have people played large 1080p mkvs from an external hard drive with no hiccups on our player?

Ive played large 1080p mkv's thru network no problem. For example if I play a certain HDDVD rip thru the network and go to the tools menu and select information, it says size is 7.9GB. I put the same file on on a DVD+R DL disc, if I go to tools/information it says size -1.0B, it wont FF/REW/jump, and will quit half way thru the movie. This happens with large 720p or 1080p. For me 4.3GB 720p mkv work fine on DVD-R, with FF/REW/jump and will show the correct file size. I haven't tried 4.3GB 1080p in any way.

For me this is kinda annoying because I really wanted to transfer my HDDVDs to a MKV and put them on a disc; mkv/divx support are the main reasons I got this player. I've only ever played one actual BD on it and had the thing since February.
post #208 of 1614 Old 05-13-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amb7247 View Post

Looks like it may be just a minor issue. I powered it off then on again then it started to send the DTS-MA to the receiver as it's supposed to. Not sure yet if I want to keep this or still get an LG or a Sony.

I had this same issue -I found that if I pulled the HDMI cable, then plugged it back in the issue was resolved. Not something I want to be doing all the time though... hopefully it'll be a firmware fix. Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Also, I didn't seem to have this issue with PCM.
post #209 of 1614 Old 05-14-2010, 08:09 AM

Liked: 11
so i cant get it all straight. will this thing stream .vob's and h.264 from pcshare?

I need to convert all my isos, but im not up on the video side of things.
post #210 of 1614 Old 05-14-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster72 View Post

so i cant get it all straight. will this thing stream .vob's and h.264 from pcshare?

I need to convert all my isos, but im not up on the video side of things.

No, the C5500 will not currently stream VOB's with the Samsung supplied PCSM. Other DLNA Servers may be able so via transcoding, but I found as when you rip a DVD it creates multiple VOBs so when the player moves from one VOB to the next you get about a 10s break (not great fo movie watching).

What I'm doing is ripping the DVD and then converting to MKV using RipBot. This way you can ensure that your MKV's have the right audio & video codec that is supported natively by the player. Using the High 4.0 profile you get a very good quality AVC(h.264)/AC3 movie.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page