Official Samsung BD-C5500 master owner's thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1614 Old 10-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After all the reading and playing with my BD-C5500, I have decided to keep it rather than upgrade to the 3D BD-D5500. Now the problem is that my current firmware is very old 1010 version and Samsung recommend to upgrade to the newest 1022.3 firmware.

My problem is that I do not use the internet to stream video, I don't play Blue Ray disc, the only thing I use this player is to play all the videos that I have downloaded onto my 500GB external Hard disc which is connected to the front USB slot. Right now, it plays AVI, WMV and MP4 files with the fast forward and rewind working just fine. It doesn't play the .VOB files however I do have those on the original DVD so it is not a really big problem for me.

I would love to have the latest updated firmware however are worried because some of the guys here had problems after upgrading to the 1022.3 firmware but most of the problems are related to video streaming.

Since once the new firmware is installed, it can not be reversed. I am trying to find out if there are other problem that you guys saw after installing the new firmware?

I know I have been asking a lot of questions here and I would like to thank all the people that have responded but I just want to get as much information as possible before making deciding and you guys are a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for any help.
csun213 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
amesdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Definitely update from the old 1010 firmware. But you might want to go with the 1021 firmware for the moment, since 1022 seems to cause problems with ff/rw in playback of local file formats that worked with 1021. You can't do that by online firmware update, you'll have to download it and install it manually.
amesdp is offline  
post #1263 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Member
 
kws53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

After all the reading and playing with my BD-C5500, I have decided to keep it rather than upgrade to the 3D BD-D5500. Now the problem is that my current firmware is very old 1010 version and Samsung recommend to upgrade to the newest 1022.3 firmware.

My problem is that I do not use the internet to stream video, I don't play Blue Ray disc, the only thing I use this player is to play all the videos that I have downloaded onto my 500GB external Hard disc which is connected to the front USB slot. Right now, it plays AVI, WMV and MP4 files with the fast forward and rewind working just fine. It doesn't play the .VOB files however I do have those on the original DVD so it is not a really big problem for me.

I would love to have the latest updated firmware however are worried because some of the guys here had problems after upgrading to the 1022.3 firmware but most of the problems are related to video streaming.

Since once the new firmware is installed, it can not be reversed. I am trying to find out if there are other problem that you guys saw after installing the new firmware?

I know I have been asking a lot of questions here and I would like to thank all the people that have responded but I just want to get as much information as possible before making deciding and you guys are a wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for any help.

Follow this process:

1) upgrade to 1022.3
2) rip your DVD using DVD Decrypter [free] or ANYDVD [$$] to Video_TS directory [not ISO]. DVD Decrypter will handle 95% of your DVD's.
3) Re-author [essentially remuxing] the main video and audio to one large file using DVD Shrink [free]. Make sure that you use NO COMPRESSION [3-5 minutes].
4) drag and drop the VOB file ONLY to your MediaShare folder
5) enjoy...

The VOB file is a relabelled MPEG2 file, hence no problems with Samsung.

Kurt
kws53 is offline  
post #1264 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by amesdp View Post

Definitely update from the old 1010 firmware. But you might want to go with the 1021 firmware for the moment, since 1022 seems to cause problems with ff/rw in playback of local file formats that worked with 1021. You can't do that by online firmware update, you'll have to download it and install it manually.

Can someone tell me where I can find the 1021 firmware? Called Samsung and they said that they only have the latest firmware and do not keep the old firmware.

I tried Googling the 1021 firmware however there is nothing out there. I am hoping that someone here have kept a copy of 1021 firmware and would be able to e-mail it to me.
csun213 is offline  
post #1265 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

Follow this process:

1) upgrade to 1022.3
2) rip your DVD using DVD Decrypter [free] or ANYDVD [$$] to Video_TS directory [not ISO]. DVD Decrypter will handle 95% of your DVD's.
3) Re-author [essentially remuxing] the main video and audio to one large file using DVD Shrink [free]. Make sure that you use NO COMPRESSION [3-5 minutes].
4) drag and drop the VOB file ONLY to your MediaShare folder
5) enjoy...

The VOB file is a relabelled MPEG2 file, hence no problems with Samsung.

Kurt

Hi Kurt, thanks for all your response and help here however since I have the DVD in my collection so being able to play the .VOB is not that important right now. I am also not that tech and I really only understand half of what you are telling me so I am just going to use my DVD if I want to watch it. Thanks again for your time.
csun213 is offline  
post #1266 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Member
 
AndyKnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Twickenham, UK
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by csun213 View Post

Can someone tell me where I can find the 1021 firmware? Called Samsung and they said that they only have the latest firmware and do not keep the old firmware.

I tried Googling the 1021 firmware however there is nothing out there. I am hoping that someone here have kept a copy of 1021 firmware and would be able to e-mail it to me.

You can find it by googling "BSP-C5500WWB-1021.4.zip" and picking the samygo.tv link - I would post the web address but this site won't let me.

Andy

EDIT - Now I've made 3 posts, I can add the web link: it's at http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...WWB-1021.4.zip
AndyKnott is offline  
post #1267 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKnott View Post

You can find it by googling "BSP-C5500WWB-1021.4.zip" and picking the samygo.tv link - I would post the web address but this site won't let me.

Andy

Thanks to the information you provided, I found it and have downloaded it. The knowledge and help on this forum is great. Thanks again for the help. I hope I am all set now.
csun213 is offline  
post #1268 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Senior Member
 
csun213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 201
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to bother you guys again however does anyone know if there is any way I can check to see how many hours were used on my Manufacturer refurbished BD-C5500? I know that on some DVD recorder, there is a way to find out how many hours the DVD recorder have been used. Thanks
csun213 is offline  
post #1269 of 1614 Old 10-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Member
 
htpcdirect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hooked up a used c5500 that I picked up and I'm running optical to my 6.1 receiver. However, my receiver is only displaying 5.1 DTS during BR playback. I've tried to tweak the audio settings (Bitstream-reencode and Bitstream-audiophile), but always get the same result.

I had a (junky) Memorex BR player that sent discrete 6.1 DTS-ES over coaxial. Doesn't this player support 6.1 over optical? After years with 5.1, I finally hooked up a rear center and now it's non-functional!!
htpcdirect is offline  
post #1270 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Member
 
AndyKnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Twickenham, UK
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcdirect View Post

I just hooked up a used c5500 that I picked up and I'm running optical to my 6.1 receiver. However, my receiver is only displaying 5.1 DTS during BR playback. I've tried to tweak the audio settings (Bitstream-reencode and Bitstream-audiophile), but always get the same result.

I had a (junky) Memorex BR player that sent discrete 6.1 DTS-ES over coaxial. Doesn't this player support 6.1 over optical? After years with 5.1, I finally hooked up a rear center and now it's non-functional!!

I think it only goes up to 5.1 (Dolby Digital or DTS) over optical - for 6.1 or 7.1, you need to use the HDMI output.



Andy
AndyKnott is offline  
post #1271 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 07:34 AM
Member
 
htpcdirect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's odd, because even SD DVD players can pass DTS-ES 6.1 over optical or coaxial. I wasn't expecting 6.1 or 7.1 lossless, but DTS-ES 6.1 is a "legacy" extension to the DTS core and I don't see why it wouldn't work over optical. In addition to my old Memorex, I believe the PS3 handles lossy 6.1 over optical.

I've only tried a single BRD on the Samsung so far (Tron Legacy), so maybe it's a content issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKnott View Post

I think it only goes up to 5.1 (Dolby Digital or DTS) over optical - for 6.1 or 7.1, you need to use the HDMI output.


Andy

htpcdirect is offline  
post #1272 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Member
 
AndyKnott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Twickenham, UK
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcdirect View Post

That's odd, because even SD DVD players can pass DTS-ES 6.1 over optical or coaxial. I wasn't expecting 6.1 or 7.1 lossless, but DTS-ES 6.1 is a "legacy" extension to the DTS core and I don't see why it wouldn't work over optical. In addition to my old Memorex, I believe the PS3 handles lossy 6.1 over optical.

I've only tried a single BRD on the Samsung so far (Tron Legacy), so maybe it's a content issue?

The HT-C5500 doesn't support DTS ES Discrete 6.1 (see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-C.../ref=de_a_smtd) - and this system is based on the BD-C5500, just with added speakers. So you might be out of luck.
AndyKnott is offline  
post #1273 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Newbie
 
Peetu73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New firmware 1023 today! Mkv. ff and rw ...... still aint working!!!!!!! There must be bunch of apes working at Samsung FFS!!!! Idiots....
Peetu73 is offline  
post #1274 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Member
 
kws53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetu73 View Post

New firmware 1023 today! Mkv. ff and rw ...... still aint working!!!!!!! There must be bunch of apes working at Samsung FFS!!!! Idiots....

Have you tried remuxing your MKV files with an older version of MKVMerge? This worked for me and others.

It might not be a Samsung issue.

Kurt
kws53 is offline  
post #1275 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
amesdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I spent plenty of time figuring out which options in Handbrake would produce an MKV file that works properly on the Samsung players. Now I have lots of them. I don't know about you, but I'm not keen to remux them all because Samsung broke something in firmware release 1022. I'm sticking with 1021 until someone tells me that this problem has been fixed.
amesdp is offline  
post #1276 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Newbie
 
Peetu73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

It might not be a Samsung issue.

Fw and rw worked fine in every .mkv´s before 1022.3 update. After that update it stop working. So its surely Samsung issue. If you now must remux your MKV files with an older version of MKVMerge, something is very wrong in these last updates.

Edit: amesdp, wisely done. If I could just return to that 1022.2
Peetu73 is offline  
post #1277 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 09:40 AM
Member
 
kws53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetu73 View Post

Fw and rw worked fine in every .mkv´s before 1022.3 update. After that update it stop working. So its surely Samsung issue. If you now must remux your MKV files with an older version of MKVMerge, something is very wrong in these last updates.

Edit: amesdp, wisely done. If I could just return to that 1022.2

While my -> and <- worked, my "Tools" did NOT work until 1022.3. I had no way of moving to a specific time in an MKV. So spending the 3-5 minutes to remux films that I need to move around in [like music videos] is well worth 1022.3.

It's interesting that a simple change to a muxing protocol affects the ability to use these movement tools. Does anyone know what exactly changed with MKVMerge 4.0 and higher?

Kurt
kws53 is offline  
post #1278 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Member
 
kws53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 88
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peetu73 View Post

Fw and rw worked fine in every .mkv´s before 1022.3 update. After that update it stop working. So its surely Samsung issue. If you now must remux your MKV files with an older version of MKVMerge, something is very wrong in these last updates.

Edit: amesdp, wisely done. If I could just return to that 1022.2

My point is that MKVMerge may be using a protocol that is not standard YET. And the fact that some of our movement tools worked with the new protocol was perhaps fortunate.

Either way, I wouldn't count on Samsung to be proactively solving this issue on the near future.

Kurt
kws53 is offline  
post #1279 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Newbie
 
Peetu73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to access service menu? Thanks.
Peetu73 is offline  
post #1280 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Newbie
 
Peetu73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More problems with the new update Im watching normal Terra Nova.avi and the player suddenly stops after 3 mins and goes back to to video-menu. Same happened couple hours ago when I was watching The Ultimate Fighter.avi, few minutes and stop ---> video-menu. Wtf is going on? I have re-started all devices between these videos. Watched 2 videos, both stopped after couple of minutes.
Peetu73 is offline  
post #1281 of 1614 Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
amesdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,062
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kws53 View Post

While my -> and <- worked, my "Tools" did NOT work until 1022.3. I had no way of moving to a specific time in an MKV. So spending the 3-5 minutes to remux films that I need to move around in [like music videos] is well worth 1022.3.

It's interesting that a simple change to a muxing protocol affects the ability to use these movement tools. Does anyone know what exactly changed with MKVMerge 4.0 and higher?

Kurt

My MKV files produced by Handbrake (H.264 video and AC3 passthrough audio) all work just fine with firmware 1021, i.e., they all ff, rw, goto time code on the Tools menu correctly.

On the other hand MKV files produced by MakeMKV did not work well at all - they played, but any attempt at movement resulted in a quick zip to the end of the file.
amesdp is offline  
post #1282 of 1614 Old 10-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Newbie
 
pcrash12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the update from last month disabled my BD playback, only normal dvd's worked. Yesterdays update got the BD disks working but they freeze up after about 20 minutes into the movie. I've tried all BD disk I have and they all freeze up sometimes after a few minutes or longer. It seems to be certain parts on all the disk because even when I power off, eject, reload,and skip to the time, it will freeze on all my disks. Any clue why?
pcrash12 is offline  
post #1283 of 1614 Old 10-09-2011, 07:28 PM
Member
 
ToppDogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have owned my C5500 now for about 1 year, in that time I've enjoyed everything about it with the exception that the recommended apps in the main screen is controlled by Samsung and not us, other then that this is the best BD I've used yet. I have a Panasonic DMP-BD65 also, I like the remote of the Panasonic but that's it.
ToppDogg is offline  
post #1284 of 1614 Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BritInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^ likely getting some kind of kick back from those companies

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
BritInVA is offline  
post #1285 of 1614 Old 10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
Newbie
 
croute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got this new Samsung BD-D5500 ,
Plug an external USB hard drive 1TB fomated in NTFS , can handle almost any MKV files , 720p , 1080p. Multilanguage.
Everything play smooth ,ive tried several blu-ray 3d player (Sony S470 - Panasonic BDP-110 ) and this Samsung give me the best result yet.

I want to know if there is a way to put a cover art to the MKV file's thumbnail
in the navigation system,
that would be awsome

thank you
croute is offline  
post #1286 of 1614 Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BritInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^^^Not using Samsung software (unless they have updated - no longer using it) but other server software does. I know you can with Mezzmo.

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
BritInVA is offline  
post #1287 of 1614 Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 PM
Member
 
wreckedchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
serviio does cover art aswell doesn't work very good pic's are tiny
wreckedchevy is offline  
post #1288 of 1614 Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member
 
BritInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
What many fail to realize is the framework/structure on the players/TV is down to the manufacturer of the player/TV.

Those creating the server software (e.g. Mezzmo, Serviio) have to live within the confines of framework/structure on the players/TV

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
BritInVA is offline  
post #1289 of 1614 Old 10-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Member
 
davidh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 71
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
EDIT: My bad, it was 1023.0, not 1030.
davidh44 is offline  
post #1290 of 1614 Old 10-15-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
BritInVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ashburn, VA
Posts: 3,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think any chance of getting improved functionality is remote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung US View Post

Ver.1023.0 Oct.06.2011
- Improve specific disc''s playback capability.

Ver.1022.3 Sep.09.2011
- Improve specific disc''s playback capability.

Ver.1021.1 Apr.22.2011
- Improved specific BD title''s playback compatibility

Even PCSM is still ver4.2 from Jul 10. Has anyone tried AllShare and compared to PCSM. Is it still pile of junk? Is it compatable with older players?

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
BritInVA is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Samsung Bd C5500 1080p Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - C5500 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off