The Owner's master thread for the LG BX580 Blu Player - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 57 Old 03-29-2010, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

BX580. This is LG's first 3D Blu-ray Player. You can see pictures of BX580 in this link below. (But Korean language...)

http://www.tinman.co.kr/bbs/board.ph...view&wr_id=352
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 Old 03-29-2010, 03:44 PM

Looks nice I'm looking forward to what Denon bring out for 3D.
post #3 of 57 Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a very specific requirement and the specifications from the manual of the LG BX580 show that it should work but it would be very helpful if someone actually found that it worked.

The big selling point of this player is that it is 3D but I want it for something else.

The manual states that the player can access files from a USB connection to an external hard drive and play AVI video in a NTFS formatted disk.

I have already copied all of my home recorded mini-DV videos into my pc using Windows Movie Maker and making AVI files. These files are not compressed and each hour of mini-DV footage takes about 12 GB. What I am looking for is just to have an external drive hooked up to the bluray player and then the family could watch home movies without that much extra energy. We don't watch them that often because it is kind of a hassle to get the mini-DV tapes all set up. I just want to keep it simple and not get a pc or dnla network involved or make lots of bluray discs that we won't watch.

I have already loaded the videos onto a Western Digital external USB drive. I tried it on a LG BD550 and it did not work. That manual shows that it will only do photos and music and then it has to be FAT16 or FAT32.

Thanks
post #4 of 57 Old 06-17-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 116
I would visit the 3D source component forum for discussion on this player

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #5 of 57 Old 06-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. After your input I checked out all the posts and unfortunately there were no user posts.

I should have titled my thread differently. I am looking for any Bluray Player that has USB input that will play avi files in NTFS format from an external USB hard drive. After scouring all of the products currently on the market and then looking at the user manuals online the only unit that seems to do this is the LG BX580.

But, I would be very happy if anyone knows of any bluray player that does this.
post #6 of 57 Old 06-19-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't think it's even out yet.
post #7 of 57 Old 06-21-2010, 02:44 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post

I don't think it's even out yet.

Its on Best Buy's web site -> http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+3D/...&skuId=9906024 and their web says its in stock at the 6 stores listed "near" my zip code.
post #8 of 57 Old 08-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Just picked up the LG BX580 3D player and i am having trouble getting a good picture running through my Onkyo 608 AVR to my Mitsubishi 73" DLP. The picture looks all washed out like it is faded. I have tried adjusting settings with the BX580 but with no success. I have Hdmi running from the BX580 to the Onkyo 608 with the AVR set on pass through. I also have a PS3 hooked up the same way and the picture is awesome. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Pajer
post #9 of 57 Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajer View Post

Just picked up the LG BX580 3D player and i am having trouble getting a good picture running through my Onkyo 608 AVR to my Mitsubishi 73" DLP. The picture looks all washed out like it is faded. I have tried adjusting settings with the BX580 but with no success. I have Hdmi running from the BX580 to the Onkyo 608 with the AVR set on pass through. I also have a PS3 hooked up the same way and the picture is awesome. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Pajer

Of course, the first thing we want to know is how it looks when the hdmi cable is hooked straight into the television. Maybe it is some DRM in the Onkyo that the PS3 does not encounter.

Also how is the component video? Of course that is not what we want but there is no DRM component (as far as I know).
post #10 of 57 Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 AM

Here are just some comments about this Bluray player when used also for a primary music source.

My first complaint is that when I turn on my stereo and just want to play music there are no hands on controls on the player itself to just play. I have to turn on the television and then navigate to the data CD or DVD to play the music. Since it requires going into folders, just pressing play does not work. Putting in audio CD's or movie DVD's will make it play automatically but not data disks.

I also found that if I have about 500 MB of music data on a CD-R that it will not play it but that if I burn it onto a DVD then it will play.

I like playing hours and hours straight of different music. The network Pandora radio works but it does time out after several hours.

On my pc, I have to make a new folder and then copy and paste the albums into it. Then use the free software program irfanview to keep the order complete and batch rename the songs. It is tricky but it is possible to batch rename just the number in front of the song so that the song name and album and song order stays. Then it is possible to get hundreds of MB of music on one disk that plays for a long time.

The next time that I buy a player, I am going to bring a music data disk into the store and see if it is possible to get it playing just by using the player and not having to go to the television to do the navigation for those times when I just want to use the player for music.
post #11 of 57 Old 08-14-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linyanti View Post

Of course, the first thing we want to know is how it looks when the hdmi cable is hooked straight into the television. Maybe it is some DRM in the Onkyo that the PS3 does not encounter.

Also how is the component video? Of course that is not what we want but there is no DRM component (as far as I know).

well, i bypassed the onkyo 608 avr and hooked the bx580 directly to the tv and it works fine. i even tried pass through mode on the 608 and still the same washed out look so it must be a drm issue with the onkyo, the picture is not distortrd in any way just fadedlook but also unwatchable.
post #12 of 57 Old 09-04-2010, 08:08 AM

Just picked up this unit...Thought I'd give it a whirl. It's really great!... Loaded with features... PQ is great...It's wireless, includes access to video-on-demand services from VUDU, Netflix and CinemaNow, as well as Pandora, YouTube, Picasa and more and even has MLB baseball...I Love this thing. Only con I can think of is that it's build quality is kind of flimsy, but most of the units these days are becoming that way. I liked it so much I ordered another one.
post #13 of 57 Old 10-20-2010, 11:57 PM

Thinking of getting the LG BX580 which does 3D although I'll just be using it for 2D for a while. If I'm just watching 2D blu-ray can I hook the 1.4 HDMI on the 580 to the Denon avr-1910 1.3 HDMI with no issues? Will picture and sound be transferred fully?

Thx all!
post #14 of 57 Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 AM

I am an Englishman living in Malaysia. I have just bought the BX580 along with the LG 55" 3D TV. Problem is it wont play any of the DVDs i have brought with me from the UK & USA, it only plays the Asian region.
I am looking for help in finding maybe a firmware update to make it multi region, can anyone advise me please.
post #15 of 57 Old 10-30-2010, 11:18 AM

Does anyone know if the BX580 is identical to the 570 but with 3D added? Any chance anything is missing from the 580 that is on the 570, or anything added. There are plenty of reviews of the 570, but virtually nothing on the 580. So would be good to know if everything I read about the 570 will be true about the 580.
post #16 of 57 Old 10-31-2010, 05:12 AM

I have problem reading BR-DL 50GB burned with ImageBurn...
The player stuck on START, doesn't play this disk..

No problem with BD25...
post #17 of 57 Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Liked: 12
See http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/index.jsp for a comparison. No Netflix, VUDU, DLNA on the 580?
post #18 of 57 Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:

well, i bypassed the onkyo 608 avr and hooked the bx580 directly to the tv and it works fine. i even tried pass through mode on the 608 and still the same washed out look so it must be a drm issue with the onkyo, the picture is not distortrd in any way just fadedlook but also unwatchable.

Pajer -- any luck getting your BX-580 to correctly pass through your Onkyo 608? Have you tried not using the "pass thru" mode? I just ordered the 608 and am not looking forward to having that problem, too!
Thanks!
post #19 of 57 Old 12-18-2010, 09:40 AM

Has anyone experienced any light flickering issues while playing Netflix? It's not a buffering pause but a short flicker/blip similar to an electrical disturbance. It is very noticeable on this player, much less so on other LG players. This thread is not exactly on fire but I'm hoping to get an answer.
post #20 of 57 Old 12-20-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roginator View Post

See http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/index.jsp for a comparison. No Netflix, VUDU, DLNA on the 580?

The online comparison now shows it does Netflix, Vudu, etc. just like the 570 and 590. However I'm unclear whether it does DLNA. The comparison chart shows "yes" for Home Link (DLNA® Client) but a separate line item category of DLNA shows "yes" for the 570 and 590 but nothing for the BX580. I want to be able to access mkv files and other video files on my computer network. I'm still not sure whether the BX580 will be able to access and play them.

DB
post #21 of 57 Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM

The flicker was related to my TV's DVI ports. Changing the color in the menu to RGB resolved this issue. The player does Netflix, obviously, Vudu is listed in the menu and I have not noticed any DLNA differences between the BX580 and the BD590. Mkv support is listed on the player and so are gracenote, DLNA, avchd etc.
post #22 of 57 Old 12-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Thanks for clarifying. I couldn't imagine them removing the DLNA functionality on a more expensive Bluray player.

DB
post #23 of 57 Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili99 View Post

Has anyone experienced any light flickering issues while playing Netflix? It's not a buffering pause but a short flicker/blip similar to an electrical disturbance. It is very noticeable on this player, much less so on other LG players. This thread is not exactly on fire but I'm hoping to get an answer.

Yes, I'm seeing a flicker effect but actually I'd describe it more as a gradual fading (though not totally going out) and then a gradual return to brightness. I thought it was possibly the particular DVD I was playing, I only just set this up, have had it a couple of weeks. Only two DVD's yet. Didn't notice it on Netflix yet.

I don't have it going through a receiver yet. My surround sound and other equipment won't be hooked up until January or so so right now, I have the LG BX580 3d player hooked directly to a Samsung 55 inch 3d TV (brand new and still being tested).

And I set up the LG player with wireless. I don't have my DSL cat5 cable pulled yet to the player or TV, that will not happen until January so I was happy to use the wireless on the LG dvd player. Set up was quite easy. I've already received one update.

The fading out and back in appeared several times the first day but viewing tonight, I don't think I've seen this occur even once on Netflix. Maybe the update fixed the problem?

Would also like to hear from others...
post #24 of 57 Old 12-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphalba View Post

Yes, I'm seeing a flicker effect but actually I'd describe it more as a gradual fading (though not totally going out) and then a gradual return to brightness...

The fading out and back in appeared several times the first day but viewing tonight, I don't think I've seen this occur even once on Netflix. Maybe the update fixed the problem?

Would also like to hear from others...

Thanks, it's possible that this fading/brightness issue results under some circumstances in an actual blip or a jerk. The player's firmware is current. Maybe I'm perceving it differently, but it's there. Changing the color to RGB helped a lot, but it did not completely resolve this. Lowering the resolution to 720p seemed to help as well. It is however now only a minor issue at "auto". I see it all the time on Netflix, and while playing an MKV file it was less pronounced under old settings. I have only played one disk so far and I've had it for a couple of weeks. This is turning out to be a Netflix box

I still don't know how to change the video settings from "auto" to something else. It always reverts to "auto".
post #25 of 57 Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 AM

Pretty solid unit. Plays everything I throw into flawlessly but there is something I cant resolve. Im am running wireless using the included Nero MediaHome 4. I currently have 4 BD movies in the mkv format. Only one will play. It plays extremely well with little to zero hangs and full DTS surround. Im perplexed why the other three wont play at all while they play perfectly on my CPU. They start to play but as soon as an image or sound starts to come up, I get kicked back into the server's folder screen. Has anyone else come across this.
post #26 of 57 Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linyanti View Post

I have a very specific requirement and the specifications from the manual of the LG BX580 show that it should work but it would be very helpful if someone actually found that it worked.

The big selling point of this player is that it is 3D but I want it for something else.

The manual states that the player can access files from a USB connection to an external hard drive and play AVI video in a NTFS formatted disk.

I have already copied all of my home recorded mini-DV videos into my pc using Windows Movie Maker and making AVI files. These files are not compressed and each hour of mini-DV footage takes about 12 GB. What I am looking for is just to have an external drive hooked up to the bluray player and then the family could watch home movies without that much extra energy. We don't watch them that often because it is kind of a hassle to get the mini-DV tapes all set up. I just want to keep it simple and not get a pc or dnla network involved or make lots of bluray discs that we won't watch.

I have already loaded the videos onto a Western Digital external USB drive. I tried it on a LG BD550 and it did not work. That manual shows that it will only do photos and music and then it has to be FAT16 or FAT32.

Thanks

NTFS formatted harddisk on USB-port works and you can see the contents - I do it myself. AVI is a container. You need to verify the codecs used for the video and the audio stream to see if they are supported by the BX580. Google for the free program "Mediainfo".
post #27 of 57 Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan View Post

Pretty solid unit. Plays everything I throw into flawlessly but there is something I cant resolve. Im am running wireless using the included Nero MediaHome 4. I currently have 4 BD movies in the mkv format. Only one will play. It plays extremely well with little to zero hangs and full DTS surround. Im perplexed why the other three wont play at all while they play perfectly on my CPU. They start to play but as soon as an image or sound starts to come up, I get kicked back into the server's folder screen. Has anyone else come across this.

I have the same problems: some MKVs play fine, others play for 5 or 10 minutes and then the BX580 crashes and powers off and others will not start and the player returns immediately to the menu or start playing the next MKV if there is a playable one. All MKVs play on my PC.
I updated the BX580 to the offical latest LG driver H80597 and software BD842114D.
I'm searching for a solution.
post #28 of 57 Old 01-03-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:

The normal connection is BX580 via HDMI to TV and then TV via Audio Return on your TV (SPPDIF or Coax) to your AVR.
I do it so with my SONY 5.1 A/V. Your devices must have the connectors of course.
post #29 of 57 Old 01-03-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbachman View Post

The online comparison now shows it does Netflix, Vudu, etc. just like the 570 and 590. However I'm unclear whether it does DLNA. The comparison chart shows "yes" for Home Link (DLNA® Client) but a separate line item category of DLNA shows "yes" for the 570 and 590 but nothing for the BX580. I want to be able to access mkv files and other video files on my computer network. I'm still not sure whether the BX580 will be able to access and play them.

I share the files on my PC and the BX580 can access them via Homelink (cable or wireless). I don't use Nero MediaHome 4 included with the player because it doesn't work (makes non-shared files visible on the BX580 and the shared ones are "empty")
post #30 of 57 Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
nii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geopopoulos View Post

I share the files on my PC and the BX580 can access them via Homelink (cable or wireless). I don't use Nero MediaHome 4 included with the player because it doesn't work (makes non-shared files visible on the BX580 and the shared ones are "empty")

I just bought it today, here from Athens, GR. Are you happy with it ? How long you are using it ? Waht is the latest version of firmware available ?

Thank's Nikos
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Lg Bx580 Network 3d Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread - Bx580 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page