Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 931 Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bommai View Post

Well. I called Best Buy Consumer Relations and filed a complaint. He was really mean to me yesterday. He said to me "Why do you keep coming back here". I went there twice after initial purchase. That's all. First time I went, he claimed there is no dongle and I am mistaken. Second time (yesterday) I went with proof that there is a dongle, he told me why do I keep coming back! WTF. He asked me to bring proof. yesterday he told me, I should call panasonic myself and order one! WTF. Given that I have a choice to return it - but I am more upset with the way I am being treated than the dongle issue or anything. Anyway, Best Buy called me back and told me to talk to the manager there. I might do that today.

Best thing you could do is to file a claim with the BBB of Minn./St Paul, MN.I did that once against them and it was less that 24 hrs before I heard from their corp office. They really dont like to have claim filed in the BBB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 931 Old 03-25-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Well - I had a chance to do something today at Best Buy at I did not! When I went there, the guy at customer service said I can pick out any bluray player they have and they will sell it to me at cost! I don't know what that means but I should have told them I want the BDT-310 (may be I can pre-order it). Instead I told them that I was just upset at the way I was treated. He went into the office, came back after 10 minutes with a manual for the BDT-300 and a Wifi Dongle!! I asked him where he got them from and he said he works home theater and he knows where stuff are. So, no apologies from BB just the stuff. Oh well. Just a question - since I have the receipt, the manual, etc. is there anyway for me to get the Avatar 3D without the UPC (I did not get a box with my player)? Just wondering.
post #753 of 931 Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Well - I had a chance to do something today at Best Buy at I did not! When I went there, the guy at customer service said I can pick out any bluray player they have and they will sell it to me at cost! I don't know what that means but I should have told them I want the BDT-310 (may be I can pre-order it). Instead I told them that I was just upset at the way I was treated. He went into the office, came back after 10 minutes with a manual for the BDT-300 and a Wifi Dongle!! I asked him where he got them from and he said he works home theater and he knows where stuff are. So, no apologies from BB just the stuff. Oh well. Just a question - since I have the receipt, the manual, etc. is there anyway for me to get the Avatar 3D without the UPC (I did not get a box with my player)? Just wondering.

You should be able to get it with a copy of the front page of the owner's manual with the serial number written on it. Check the rebate form for directions.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #754 of 931 Old 03-25-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

You should be able to get it with a copy of the front page of the owner's manual with the serial number written on it. Check the rebate form for directions.

S~

Do they only accept original rebate forms or can I download it online?
post #755 of 931 Old 03-26-2011, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I've used the rebate forms online.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #756 of 931 Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11
Just got the 350 open box from best buy. It only had the power cord and no remote. All together for 150. However I also had 95 in bb reward zone cash, so I walked out of there spending only 58.

Does the 350 have the avatar disc too?
post #757 of 931 Old 03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchusky77 View Post

Just got the 350 open box from best buy. It only had the power cord and no remote. All together for 150. However I also had 95 in bb reward zone cash, so I walked out of there spending only 58.

Looks like my best buy does not give good deals like yours. I had to pay $200 for a bdt-300 floor model.
post #758 of 931 Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I've never heard this before but YMMV. If you indeed check the redemption form/instructions, you'll find that it does not mention the 300 or 350 and does ask for the UPC/serial tag from the "retail carton."

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchusky77 View Post

No. But I have heard anecdotal word of at least one guy nevertheless getting the disc upon submitting all necessary docs from a 350 purchase.
post #759 of 931 Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

Purchased a new 350 recently for $197 that is--hallelujah--on firmware 1.30 (and therefore not affected by 1.61's messing up of the speaker distance settings). Panasonic has been dodgy in their responses to my repeated queries about returning a player to them for firmware reversion so, although not a closed case, I'm happy to have at least found a player that in the immediate term minimizes the need to deal with them re that. I may buy another one of these decks on ebay or from . . .

FYI: If you're still looking for a new 350, want to avoid ebay meshugas and happen to be in Oklahoma, Texas or Louisiana, try Conn's. Call them at (866) 765-1513 and ask what stores have the DMP-BDT350. As of my last checking, it's still on store shelves in smaller communities such as New Iberia, Louisiana and Brownsville, Texas. But once something leaves their warehouse for retail stores, it can not be purchased via the Website. In store pick up only. They appear to have a few of these players that have been sitting on store shelves for many months.

But they can transfer product to a store closer to you. Last week I had a player transferred from a South Texas store to one in San Antonio where I was travelling.

Wifi dongle and USB extension cable included. Curiously, the Panasonic 3D BD demo disc that there is a sticker on the box indicating is included ("Limited Time Offer While Supplies LAST") is NOT in the box.
post #760 of 931 Old 03-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

{Delete dupe.}
post #761 of 931 Old 03-27-2011, 02:37 PM

question? hope this is the right place to ask ? I have a panansonic blue ray bt350. Can i run HDMI up to my Panasonic GT25 because my AV receiver is not Blue Ray compatable. Then do i run and optical from my Blue Ray player to my Yamaha Rx3800 for the sound since i can not run a HDMI through the Yamaha for both sound and picture. Will the HDMI interfer if i have both optical to one source and the hdmi to the other source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards...
post #762 of 931 Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM

anyone care to answer,really need the help....
post #763 of 931 Old 03-27-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrock102 View Post
question? hope this is the right place to ask ? I have a panansonic blue ray bt350. Can i run HDMI up to my Panasonic GT25 because my AV receiver is not Blue Ray compatable. Then do i run and optical from my Blue Ray player to my Yamaha Rx3800 for the sound since i can not run a HDMI through the Yamaha for both sound and picture. Will the HDMI interfer if i have both optical to one source and the hdmi to the other source. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards...
I don't see why not. You just have to tell the 350 that HDMI is for video only.

lujan
649 Blu-ray
21 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #764 of 931 Old 03-27-2011, 03:42 PM

thank you
post #765 of 931 Old 03-27-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regards...
A better option for you is to run 7.1 channel analog interconnects from the BDT350 to your Yamaha. It will make a hellava difference compared to optical. I tried it using my HK AVR 745 and wow! It sings! Just make sure you do some calibration. I use full range speakers, so I left that in tact. You really need to spend some time in the multi channel analog section of the BDT350 setup. You can set the delays, speaker sizes etc.
post #766 of 931 Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

A better option for you is to run 7.1 channel analog interconnects from the BDT350 to your Yamaha. It will make a hellava difference compared to optical. I tried it using my HK AVR 745 and wow! It sings! Just make sure you do some calibration. I use full range speakers, so I left that in tact. You really need to spend some time in the multi channel analog section of the BDT350 setup. You can set the delays, speaker sizes etc.

Just looked at the impressive specs for your Yamaha AVR, RimRock, and wanted to chime in and second Bommai's comments. Review page 32 ("TV / Device Connection") of the 350 manual. It's not that that Yammy is 'not Blu-ray compatible.' It's just not HDMI (1.4a) and doesn't decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. But given its 7.1 analog multichannel inputs, you have the opportunity to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA nevertheless by having the 350 decode those tracks onboard and pass them as PCM via analog multi out. You would be getting plain Jane Dolby Dig and DTS if you chose to use the optical output to the Yamaha.
post #767 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Just looked at the impressive specs for your Yamaha AVR, RimRock, and wanted to chime in and second Bommai's comments. Review page 32 ("TV / Device Connection") of the 350 manual. It's not that that Yammy is 'not Blu-ray compatible.' It's just not HDMI (1.4a) and doesn't decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. But given its 7.1 analog multichannel inputs, you have the opportunity to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA nevertheless by having the 350 decode those tracks onboard and pass them as PCM via analog multi out. You would be getting plain Jane Dolby Dig and DTS if you chose to use the optical output to the Yamaha.

Small nitpick. PCM is pulse code modulation and I believe this is still in digital domain. So, what you are getting from the analog out is analog pre-amplified wave forms directly decoded from the lossless audio tracks. Somewhere in your player, this signal is in digital form as PCM, but then goes through a DAC (digital to analog converter) and comes out as pre-amplified analog signals out the 7.1 (or 5.1) analog out. I have mine hooked up like this and am very happy.
post #768 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted this in the BD85 thread too but wanted to post here too for possible feedback from people.

Over the past 2 weeks, I have been testing my Gen1 Fat PS3, a floor model Panny BDT-300, a new BDT-210 and just bought a new BD85 from Sears on clearance sale. I already returned the 210 because it did not offer anything over the BDT-300. I need at least a second HDMI output or 7.1 channel analog out because my receiver cannot pass through 1080p and an external HDMI switcher/splitter would not work with the 210 either. I have been pretty happy with the 300. I have tested it with both second HDMI port for audio and analog. Both sound good. All the disks I have tried playing plays fine in the BDT-300. My Epson 1080UB projector also shows deep color as on and 12-bit. I had updated the firmware to the latest and also setup the bass management. I left the speaker sizes at full and just changed the delays. My receiver can manage the rest.

I connected the BD85 (HDMI for video direct to projector and 5.1 analog for audio) and updated the firmware and started playing stuff. Watched a few scenes from Ratatouille. Awesome picture and awesome sound. It just was great and I think may have been better than the BDT-300! Then I checked the projector info and it said Deep color as ---. I checked the BD85, I had set deep color to Automatic (Auto and off are the only choices). I also turned on 24Hz (since my projector supports that) and I also turned off HDMI audio. I turned on high clarity audio. But then, I played Chris Botti live with orchestra and special guests bluray concert. This has 24bit/96kHz 5.1 PCM track. THe screen blinked a couple of times (odd). Then it did display. Then I chose the sound format I wanted to play and then I clicked on the song I wanted to play. The audio came superb but the screen blanked out. My projector is saying invalid H and V frequencies. Clicking on Stop did not show me the home screen. Clicking setup did not show me the setup screen. I had to pretty much cycle power to see them. WTF! This player got my hopes up for A/V quality. What is happening? Could it be that it is unable to put this out at 1080p24 when 24Hz is enabled. I don't think it is recorded in 1080p24. Also, most other players have on/off/auto for 24Hz I think. This one had on and off only. I will try with 24Hz off before I give up, but still, this is disappointing. I was hoping to not have to buy an Oppo 93. I love the sound quality of my HK AVR 745 and this Bluray player seemed to have the analog outs to make me want to stay with it. Oh Well.
post #769 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I have read something similar regarding your issue in the BDT300 manual under the Trouble Shooting Guide..

RE:Video is not output/ Set the "High Clarity Sound" in the playback menu to "OFF"..
So would assume A similar paragraph would exist in the BD 85's owners manual..

Cheers..
post #770 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

I have read something similar regarding your issue in the BDT300 manual under the Trouble Shooting Guide..

RE:Video is not output/ Set the "High Clarity Sound" in the playback menu to "OFF"..
So would assume A similar paragraph would exist in the BD 85's owners manual..

Cheers..

That might be because high clarity turns off component video output. However I don't think that is my problem. I was able to watch ratatouille fine. I will try with 24 hz off tonight.
post #771 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

A better option for you is to run 7.1 channel analog interconnects from the BDT350 to your Yamaha. It will make a hellava difference compared to optical.

Based on my experience... since in many cases you give up room and speaker correction (EQ, Dynamic EQ, etc) it's not the way to go.
post #772 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Based on my experience... since in many cases you give up room and speaker correction (EQ, Dynamic EQ, etc) it's not the way to go.

I have done A/B comparison between analog and hdmi with my hk avr 745 and have not noticed a difference. That said, I can apply eq on multi channel analog with my hk avr 745.
post #773 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Why would analog be better than digital? Thought the argument for so many years was to stay digital no conversion was better am I confusing video with audio?
post #774 of 931 Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Audio has to become analog at sometime. Whether it become analog in the player or in the receiver is the debate. If the DACs are better in the receiver, digital is better. If the DACs are better in the player, then analog is better. However, some people are of the opinion that receivers do a better job of eq and other calibration when the input is digital. But, for me personall, both sound the same!
post #775 of 931 Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Small nitpick. PCM is pulse code modulation and I believe this is still in digital domain. So, what you are getting from the analog out is analog pre-amplified wave forms directly decoded from the lossless audio tracks. Somewhere in your player, this signal is in digital form as PCM, but then goes through a DAC (digital to analog converter) and comes out as pre-amplified analog signals out the 7.1 (or 5.1) analog out. I have mine hooked up like this and am very happy.

I'm not understanding your "nitpick" point. Nothing that you've said controverts my text that you quoted.
post #776 of 931 Old 03-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

But the analog suggestion was specific to RimRock, who has a non-HDMI AVR. I think it's debatable whether lossy with room EQ is going to offer better SQ than lossless via analog without room correction.
post #777 of 931 Old 03-31-2011, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I posted this in the bd85 thread and am posting it here too.

Big problem last night. We rented the bluray of "Let Me In". Tried to watch it using bd85. It has only a Dolby truehd track. I am using 5.1 analog. The previews are fine. Once the movie started, it was full of crackles and static. Never heard anything like that before. The video was fine. Oops. I ejected the disc and put it back I'm and the same result. Then I unhooked the bd85 and put back the bdt300 and had absolutely no problems. However I was using the hdmi output for audio. After the movie however, I hooked up the analogs on the bdt300 and tried it again and everything was still fine. So I have a defective bd85 or there is a systemic issue with the model. I am on the latest firmware for the bd85.
post #778 of 931 Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

I'm not understanding your "nitpick" point. Nothing that you've said controverts my text that you quoted.

The nit was that PCM is a digital term nit analog.
post #779 of 931 Old 04-01-2011, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone encountered the following problem with their 300/350. Instead of using the 5.1 analog, I hooked up hdmi cable from the second hdmi output to my hk avr 745 receiver. I have configured this hdmi output as v.off. I watched live free or die hard bluray. I fast forwarded a few scenes. Then my video starts going blank. Audio is fine. I then unplugged the second hdmi cable and the video returned. Then I plugged in the hdmi cable and I got the audio back and no more blinking immediately. I did not watch the whole movie to see if the blinking returned.

I an pretty sure this is a hdmi issue since it does not happen with analog.
post #780 of 931 Old 04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The nit was that PCM is a digital term nit analog.

I re-re-read my comments and I guess you're referring to the following:

"[RimRock has] the opportunity to get Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA nevertheless by having the 350 decode those tracks onboard and pass them as PCM via analog multi out."

I suppose I could/should have said "decode and DAC those tracks" and dropped the reference to PCM entirely, or said "pass them as DACd PCM." But it's definitely a nitpick. My understanding is that decoders transcode a codec such as DTS-HD MA or DTHD "back" to PCM which then gets DACd. The word "analog" in the above comments is a descriptor of and applies to the words that follow it--"multi out"--not "PCM." Just because I didn't explicitly mention the DAC step doesn't mean I'm under the misimpression that PCM is analog.

On a related but different topic that apparently from thread discussion only applies to a few owners/that only a few people are paying attention to: I'm extremely frustrated to report that it appears Panasonic screwed the pooch from fairly early on regarding the speaker distance settings/calibration of this player for use of the multichannel analog outputs.

The 350 I purchased recently and was ecstatic to find was on 1.30 (thereby avoiding 1.73's issues) does not allow you to adjust the volume of each speaker: the internally-generated pink noise stays at the same volume throughout the entire range of db settings changes.

At least one user here (DrSeid) was I assume getting correct calibration functionality on 1.51 which was them gimped with 1.61. So maybe these settings could be made correctly on 1.4 only. (For ready reference, here is the firmware version history for the player, available at Panasonic's Japanese/global site but not the U.S.: )

2010/11/22
Ver 1.73
VIERA CAST update
BD disc playability

2010/10/5
Ver 1.61
3D BD playability
BD Playability

2010/8/24
Ver 1.51
BD/CD Playability
VIERA CAST Compatibility

2010/5/24
Ver 1.40
VIERA CAST update

2010/4/19
Ver 1.30
3D disc playability improvement

2010/3/31
Ver 1.23
3D disc playability improvement

2010/3/15
Ver 1.10

A frustrating development if I'm correct. I will play with it some more--this time before drinking any wine --and see if I am mistaken.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt350 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt300 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page