post #151 of 932 Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

That's the exact one I'm useing.. Works great.

Finally made it to Best But last night and picked it up. Grabbed a few movies while I was there also. One of them being a liongate film, didn't realize it was till I started watching it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 932 Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Some might not consider this a fair comparison, but I think it is an interesting one - a 2yr old premium player vs a new midfi one. But, here goes.

So,
I was able to get Best Buy to give me the DMP-BDT350 for $350, plus I had a giftcard.

I test drove the player for some time yesterday and put it up against the 51FD.

First of all, in terms of Blu-ray the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 offers a better experience than the BDP-51FD. Its faster (starts in under 2 seconds), more full-featured, and most importantly has better 1080i deinterlacing than the 51FD. Yes, you read that right. The Panasonic DMP-BDT350 does a better job with 1080i Blu-ray Discs than the Pioneer, especially on 3:2 cadence 1080i Discs. The Panasonics conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 is also superior to the Pioneers. This is evident both in benchmark material (S&M, HQV) and real world discs. For 1080p24 sources, like most players they are very similar. The Panasonic DMP-BDT350 also comes with a free Wifi dongle that plugs into the back of the player.

Moving on to DVD, here it is a closer affair, but once again the DMP-BDT350 offers an overall superior experience in both benchmark (HQV) and real world, but not by much. Once again the conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 is superior. Navigation and loading of DVDs is significantly faster on the Panasonic.

One area where the Pioneer 51FD did poorly with DVDs is in strange cadences (usually encodes that are messed up/broken, such as the DVD series "Noein"). The Pioneer 51FD displayed combing with this title throughout a few of the volumes that were encoded wrong. The Panasonic shows issues with exactly the same volumes in the same areas. So, for DVDs that have been encoded improperly, neither of these players quite approach the level of a player with an ABT2010/2015. However, I am confident in saying that for DVDs that are encoded properly (about 99% of them), the Panasonic BDT350 looks just as good. Comparing the Pio/Panasonic to Reon-based players show that for the 99% of normal material the Pio/Panasonic both look better than the Reon, but for odd cadences again the Reon can handle them without issue.

In terms of PQ tweaking that made the BDP-51FD so popular, hidden in its Advanced menus, the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 actually offers more tweakability than the BDP-51FD. All sorts of variables are available for tweaking the picture to your liking. There are some modes for DVD that include varying levels of EE & noise reduction that can improve performance on poorly encoded DVDs. The "super resolution 1" mode for DVD actually offers quite an excellent balance of improving detail without adding significant ringing. And like the Pioneer, all of these enhancements can be turned off.

Moving on to analog Audio Quality, the BDT350's audio output is quite good. While head to head pure against the BDP51FD it is not quite at its level (few players are), but the Panasonic offers a few "virtual tube amp" modes that are quite awesome to tweak with. Panasonic basically came up with DSP modelling that tweaks the sound to sound "tube" like, and it comes quite close to doing so. For this reason I will leave both the BDT350 and BDP-51FD hooked up to my preamp for CD listening.

In terms of internal decoding, the DMP-BDT350 performs similarly to the Pioneer, with the same 7.1 DTS-HDMA speaker mapping on 5.1 DTS-MA titles - which is unfortunate as generally receiver dpliix/iiz/dsx modes do superior work on 5.1 sources. DTS must really be pushing their speaker remapping for some reason.

There are other features such as DLNA and video streaming from the computer, however I've found that it does not perform as well in video streaming as the XBOX 360 using a linksys wireless-n bridge. I am not sure if this is due to the wireless adapter in the BDT350 or the more primitive nature of the BDT350's video streaming software - will have to investigate further. I was not able to get any of my audio files to play yet off my PC, and I'm still trying to figure that one out, and I am anxious to compare to the 360 - as the 360's sound quality for streamed files is pretty dreadful. UPDATE: I just learned that the DMP-BDT350 *CANNOT STREAM MUSIC FILES* - not MP3, not WMA, not AAC, NOTHING. That is a pretty big bummer and to call a player DLNA compliant without ability to stream music is ridiculous. Hopefully Panasonic will remedy this with a firmware update! The Vieracast portal works quite well and Youtube videos look good windowed, but when expanded to full screen there is no option to pillarbox them like the BDT350 & 51FD do with 4:3 DVD.

Then of course, there is 3-D performance. This is where this unit pulls out ahead from all of the other players out here. The player has dual HDMI outputs for HDMI 1.4 HDTVs, however I was able to use it in HDMI 1.3 mode without issue running through my Integra DTC-9.8 and into my Mits DLP HDTV. The fact that it offers checkerboard and full HD 3-D combined with dual HDMI outputs makes the BDT350 a fantastic transitional device from HDMI 1.3 to HDMI 1.4.

Build quality on this Panasonic is better than past Panasonics, but it is a far cry from the tank-like build of the 51FD. But, I am not sure this will make much difference in terms of reliability as the things that usually break first (laser issues, SoC issues) often have no correlation to the external build of the machine. Also, there is no brown stripe on the player you see in some of the websites. What it has is a frosted bronze lip at the bottom that looks quite nice in person. It is the best looking BD player Panasonic has made, though again not in the same league looks wise as the 51FD.

Overall, the BDT350 is impressive for the price. It offers a ton of features with excellent A/V quality across the board. It does not handle DVDs with incorrect cadence as well as ABT2010/2015 players, but those DVDs are in the minority - and realistically at this time an ABT2010/2015 player with the features of the BDT350 costs over twice as much and is not yet available (such as the Denon DBP2011, which I also plan on evaluating).
post #153 of 932 Old 06-27-2010, 03:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
anyone know if its possible to make the dvd part of the bdt-300 region free ? I would sure like to retire my old samsung dvd player
post #154 of 932 Old 06-29-2010, 01:16 AM

Yeah...since the BDT-300 performs good for normal dvds...I would also like to know the hack for playing all dvds...!!
post #155 of 932 Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 AM

her we have BDT-300 region free from dealer in UAE
post #156 of 932 Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackend View Post

I dont suppose you could take a quick trip to the dealer and ask how to make them region free?
post #157 of 932 Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Some might not consider this a fair comparison, but I think it is an interesting one - a 2yr old premium player vs a new midfi one. But, here goes.

So,
I was able to get Best Buy to give me the DMP-BDT350 for $350, plus I had a giftcard.

I test drove the player for some time yesterday and put it up against the 51FD.

First of all, in terms of Blu-ray the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 offers a better experience than the BDP-51FD. Its faster (starts in under 2 seconds), more full-featured, and most importantly has better 1080i deinterlacing than the 51FD. Yes, you read that right. The Panasonic DMP-BDT350 does a better job with 1080i Blu-ray Discs than the Pioneer, especially on 3:2 cadence 1080i Discs. The Panasonics conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 is also superior to the Pioneers. This is evident both in benchmark material (S&M, HQV) and real world discs. For 1080p24 sources, like most players they are very similar. The Panasonic DMP-BDT350 also comes with a free Wifi dongle that plugs into the back of the player.

Moving on to DVD, here it is a closer affair, but once again the DMP-BDT350 offers an overall superior experience in both benchmark (HQV) and real world, but not by much. Once again the conversion from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 is superior. Navigation and loading of DVDs is significantly faster on the Panasonic.

One area where the Pioneer 51FD did poorly with DVDs is in strange cadences (usually encodes that are messed up/broken, such as the DVD series "Noein"). The Pioneer 51FD displayed combing with this title throughout a few of the volumes that were encoded wrong. The Panasonic shows issues with exactly the same volumes in the same areas. So, for DVDs that have been encoded improperly, neither of these players quite approach the level of a player with an ABT2010/2015. However, I am confident in saying that for DVDs that are encoded properly (about 99% of them), the Panasonic BDT350 looks just as good. Comparing the Pio/Panasonic to Reon-based players show that for the 99% of normal material the Pio/Panasonic both look better than the Reon, but for odd cadences again the Reon can handle them without issue.

In terms of PQ tweaking that made the BDP-51FD so popular, hidden in its Advanced menus, the Panasonic DMP-BDT350 actually offers more tweakability than the BDP-51FD. All sorts of variables are available for tweaking the picture to your liking. There are some modes for DVD that include varying levels of EE & noise reduction that can improve performance on poorly encoded DVDs. The "super resolution 1" mode for DVD actually offers quite an excellent balance of improving detail without adding significant ringing. And like the Pioneer, all of these enhancements can be turned off.

Moving on to analog Audio Quality, the BDT350's audio output is quite good. While head to head pure against the BDP51FD it is not quite at its level (few players are), but the Panasonic offers a few "virtual tube amp" modes that are quite awesome to tweak with. Panasonic basically came up with DSP modelling that tweaks the sound to sound "tube" like, and it comes quite close to doing so. For this reason I will leave both the BDT350 and BDP-51FD hooked up to my preamp for CD listening.

In terms of internal decoding, the DMP-BDT350 performs similarly to the Pioneer, with the same 7.1 DTS-HDMA speaker mapping on 5.1 DTS-MA titles - which is unfortunate as generally receiver dpliix/iiz/dsx modes do superior work on 5.1 sources. DTS must really be pushing their speaker remapping for some reason.

There are other features such as DLNA and video streaming from the computer, however I've found that it does not perform as well in video streaming as the XBOX 360 using a linksys wireless-n bridge. I am not sure if this is due to the wireless adapter in the BDT350 or the more primitive nature of the BDT350's video streaming software - will have to investigate further. I was not able to get any of my audio files to play yet off my PC, and I'm still trying to figure that one out, and I am anxious to compare to the 360 - as the 360's sound quality for streamed files is pretty dreadful. UPDATE: I just learned that the DMP-BDT350 *CANNOT STREAM MUSIC FILES* - not MP3, not WMA, not AAC, NOTHING. That is a pretty big bummer and to call a player DLNA compliant without ability to stream music is ridiculous. Hopefully Panasonic will remedy this with a firmware update! The Vieracast portal works quite well and Youtube videos look good windowed, but when expanded to full screen there is no option to pillarbox them like the BDT350 & 51FD do with 4:3 DVD.

Then of course, there is 3-D performance. This is where this unit pulls out ahead from all of the other players out here. The player has dual HDMI outputs for HDMI 1.4 HDTVs, however I was able to use it in HDMI 1.3 mode without issue running through my Integra DTC-9.8 and into my Mits DLP HDTV. The fact that it offers checkerboard and full HD 3-D combined with dual HDMI outputs makes the BDT350 a fantastic transitional device from HDMI 1.3 to HDMI 1.4.

Build quality on this Panasonic is better than past Panasonics, but it is a far cry from the tank-like build of the 51FD. But, I am not sure this will make much difference in terms of reliability as the things that usually break first (laser issues, SoC issues) often have no correlation to the external build of the machine. Also, there is no brown stripe on the player you see in some of the websites. What it has is a frosted bronze lip at the bottom that looks quite nice in person. It is the best looking BD player Panasonic has made, though again not in the same league looks wise as the 51FD.

Overall, the BDT350 is impressive for the price. It offers a ton of features with excellent A/V quality across the board. It does not handle DVDs with incorrect cadence as well as ABT2010/2015 players, but those DVDs are in the minority - and realistically at this time an ABT2010/2015 player with the features of the BDT350 costs over twice as much and is not yet available (such as the Denon DBP2011, which I also plan on evaluating).

Nice Review! Thanks Ruined
post #158 of 932 Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricot View Post

Nice Review! Thanks Ruined

Thanks, now the real question is, when is Panasonic going to release firmware that can decode MP3/WMA over DLNA? Without including that support its outright misleading to claim its DLNA certified - that or the DLNA certification is a joke. (Latter is probably true also).
post #159 of 932 Old 06-30-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackend View Post

Do you have one ?? Are you sure? as per experience from previous buys I have had to hack them away !!
post #160 of 932 Old 06-30-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Thanks, now the real question is, when is Panasonic going to release firmware that can decode MP3/WMA over DLNA? Without including that support its outright misleading to claim its DLNA certified - that or the DLNA certification is a joke. (Latter is probably true also).

I agree, no MP3 support for such an expensive player seems almost like a joke.

Im also really missing support for mkv with x264 content, my old samsung could play that and until the panny is able to, i have to keep them both(besides having to also keep the old samsung dvd player for other region dvds)

So basically what I want the bdt-300 to do is: region free dvd, mkv with 264, mp3´s, wma...any panasonic reps reading this by accident...firmware upgrade please, we know the hardware is good enough to do it
post #161 of 932 Old 07-01-2010, 07:51 AM

i ask them but they will not till me,,,,,casue the one we have them is region B and when i ask them that i will bring the 350 which is region A they told me they will do it for free,so i think it is softwear by remote but it will make it dvd region free
post #162 of 932 Old 07-01-2010, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision View Post

"HEADS UP"

I went to Best Buy today and confirmed that two bugs exist with the 300/350 player. The Firmware version does not matter, the two bugs are still there;

(1) After starting a movie and selecting "Cinema Picture Mode" it causes the screen's brightness to flash up and down every few seconds. Even after stopping the movie you can still see this on the blue panasonic splash screen. The salesperson at the store 100% agreed that was not what it is suppose to be doing that. The other Picture Modes worked just fine, and returning to any of them stopped it.

(2) Changing the "HDMI Black Level Control" from light to dark does nothing. Again, the salesperson at the store 100% agreed with me that was not normal as it immediatley worked and made a noticable differance any other player in the store that had that option.

I ended up leaving with a 350 anyways. The bugs are still there. I am on firmware 1.40, but i decided to keep this player as the picture quality and many options are really good.

*This was most noticable with the regular DVD (Star Wars A New Hope). I sent panasonic support an email.

One more: disabling screen saver function doesn't work, as the saver always kicks in when playing a CD, regardless of setting.
post #163 of 932 Old 07-01-2010, 06:12 PM

I received Grand Canyon River at Risk 3D Blu ray. I imported from Germany via Amazon.de. Looks and sounds great. I felt as though I was looking at a miniture Imax screen. As with CWACOM and MVA, I am viewing with my Samsung 61" DLP LED and the Panasonic BDT300 player.*
post #164 of 932 Old 07-02-2010, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

I received Grand Canyon River at Risk 3D Blu ray. I imported from Germany via Amazon.de. Looks and sounds great. I felt as though I was looking at a miniture Imax screen. As with CWACOM and MVA, I am viewing with my Samsung 61" DLP LED and the Panasonic BDT300 player.*

Just ordered a copy of this. It'll be interesting to compare the 2D release vs. the 3D on my Panny 350/Sammy UN55C8000 combo. I thought the 2D release looked great!

Brandon A. DuHamel
Founder & Editor-in-Chief
Blu-rayDefinition.com

post #165 of 932 Old 07-02-2010, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Anyone having trouble playing Percy Jackson?
post #166 of 932 Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

Anyone having trouble playing Percy Jackson?

It took a really long time to load but played fine.
post #167 of 932 Old 07-02-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

It took a really long time to load but played fine.

It successfully loaded I'd say three out of more than a dozen tries.
post #168 of 932 Old 07-03-2010, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bferr1 View Post

It successfully loaded I'd say three out of more than a dozen tries.

Perhaps you have a defective disc. Mine started and played without any problems the first time also. Lucky me.

Clark
post #169 of 932 Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can anyone tell me if this player will output via HDMI AND composite at the same time?

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #170 of 932 Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM

In the HDMI Connection menu of the BDT350 it will not let me set 24p Output to On. My TV supports 24p and I have tested that with Directv and a Samsung BD-C6900. Any suggestions?
post #171 of 932 Old 07-06-2010, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

In the HDMI Connection menu of the BDT350 it will not let me set 24p Output to On. My TV supports 24p and I have tested that with Directv and a Samsung BD-C6900. Any suggestions?

Try it with a BD in the machine.
post #172 of 932 Old 07-06-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfi View Post

In the HDMI Connection menu of the BDT350 it will not let me set 24p Output to On.

Traditionally Panasonic players have relied on EDID to determine if 24p is supported... if it's not reported via the handshaking you're out of luck.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #173 of 932 Old 07-06-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Traditionally Panasonic players have relied on EDID to determine if 24p is supported... if it's not reported via the handshaking you're out of luck.

Wait seriously?? I have a Samsung LN32B550 TV that supports 24p. But it's connected through an Onkyo TX-NR5007 receiver. When I play BD movies I notice the TV is at 60Hz not 24. Is there any way to make it work or am I out of luck? That is totally lame.
post #174 of 932 Old 07-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post

Try it with a BD in the machine.

I tried it with both a BD in and without anything in the machine. In both cases 24p cannot be turned on.
post #175 of 932 Old 07-07-2010, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonter View Post

After reading the manual a bit more close, i see it says mkv support for HD Divx, i guess that means no h.264. bummer, my old samsung that cost half of this could play that.

It should'nt be like that as the specs clearly says that the player is able to read DivX Plus HD aka h264+aac/ac3 in the mkv container..
post #176 of 932 Old 07-07-2010, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Does anyone know if the 300 can read a movie in a BDMV folder on a USB drive?

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #177 of 932 Old 07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Default settings for Chroma, Detail Carity and Super Resolution

Anyone know the default values for this on the Panasonic DMP-BDT350? Doing factory reset default from the setup does not reset these settings. I was messing with them while watching a movie and now don't know what the default was. Thanks to anyone who responds
post #178 of 932 Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacletus View Post

It should'nt be like that as the specs clearly says that the player is able to read DivX Plus HD aka h264+aac/ac3 in the mkv container..

Well have anyone managed to do that ? I have not
post #179 of 932 Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonter View Post

Well have anyone managed to do that ? I have not

UPDATE:
Im able to play back the mkv file, if i put it on a usb device. however using the exact same mkv file, it will not play through network..so weird
post #180 of 932 Old 07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Burk View Post

Perhaps you have a defective disc. Mine started and played without any problems the first time also. Lucky me.

No. Swapped disc and player, same loading problems persist. Called Panny CS and had the case bumped to level 2 for troubleshooting.
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt350 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt300 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page