Official Panasonic DMP-BDT300/350 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 935 Old 04-13-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Official Panasonic DMP-BDT300/350 Owners Thread

I didn't see a thread for this model so I thought I should start one. Mine is scheduled to get to me on Friday (April 16, 2010). I will report more once I start using it.

Anyone out there already have it? Give us your impressions.

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 935 Old 04-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
orologio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been reading briefly about this player and the dual hdmi got me curious. I wonder if there are advantages for non-3D users.
orologio is offline  
post #3 of 935 Old 04-13-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio View Post

I have been reading briefly about this player and the dual hdmi got me curious. I wonder if there are advantages for non-3D users.

Don't know but if you don't have 3D I'm sure you would just leave the 2nd hdmi port alone.

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is offline  
post #4 of 935 Old 04-13-2010, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 17,852
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 117
One of the benefits of dual HDMI outputs is to run one to the receiver and the other to the display/projector.

Some combination of source signals and receivers don't play well together with an indivduals particular display. I use a Denon 4810 receiver, OPPO 83 BR player and the Planar 8150 projector (with 40 ft of HDMI cable between the source and projector). I can not get an image when I have the receiver in the video loop. So, I use a splitter...send one HDMI siganl to the receiver and other to the projector.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
rboster is offline  
post #5 of 935 Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,645
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I didn't see a thread for this model so I thought I should start one. Mine is scheduled to get to me on Friday (April 16, 2010). I will report more once I start using it.

Anyone out there already have it? Give us your impressions.

So long? I've had mine for a little over 2 weeks. Still has the shipping label I love it. Now if I can just convince Samsung to release the pn63C8000 earlier. Hopefully that will be around the 23rd.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #6 of 935 Old 04-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
midnightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If you buy either player, do you get the 3D demo disc with it?
midnightman is offline  
post #7 of 935 Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Derek Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 394
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I didn't see a thread for this model so I thought I should start one. Mine is scheduled to get to me on Friday (April 16, 2010). I will report more once I start using it.

Anyone out there already have it? Give us your impressions.

I'd be curious to hear where you got one. I can't seem to find one anywhere. I called both the local Best Buy and their main offices, no luck.
Derek Dean is offline  
post #8 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 12:45 AM
Member
 
stummala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My local Best Buy rep looked it up and said that they are to be released on May 2 in all stores. Typically, the Magnolia stores get them first according to him.

I don't know where people are getting them from prior to this. I can't seem to find them anywhere either.
stummala is offline  
post #9 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
teachsac's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 4,645
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightman View Post

If you buy either player, do you get the 3D demo disc with it?

yes.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
teachsac is online now  
post #10 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post

I'd be curious to hear where you got one. I can't seem to find one anywhere. I called both the local Best Buy and their main offices, no luck.

Well, my town is not one that has any Magnolia stores but I had a trip to Scottsdale, AZ planned and went to a BB there. They were all sold out (all of Phoenix) but were able to order one for me and have it shipped to my home. It's showing "Out for delivery" at the UPS tracking site. Can't wait. The 3D demo won't do me any good yet because I still need the 3D glasses and the 3D module for my Mitsubishi 73833 DLP. I got it for future use and because Panasonic always plays any format I throw at it (DVD, BD, DVD RAM, etc.) whereas others such as LG don't play all formats. Also, Panasonic is the only player that does fast play where you can play parts of a movie fast and still have the audio.

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is offline  
post #11 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Member
 
golferbradbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
you wont need the mitsubishi adapter with the panasonic 3d player. it outputs checkerboard but you do need glasses. the expand x102 r the best but good luck finding em. You can use the x101 but they use an emitter where the 102's are wireless
golferbradbest is offline  
post #12 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

you wont need the mitsubishi adapter with the panasonic 3d player. it outputs checkerboard but you do need glasses. the expand x102 r the best but good luck finding em. You can use the x101 but they use an emitter where the 102's are wireless

Hmmm? That's a new one on me.

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is offline  
post #13 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
JOHNnDENVER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 13,377
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Pretty darn smart of Panasonic to inlcude that support for sure.

If I found a projetcor that supported that, I'd be pretty pleased with the solution.
JOHNnDENVER is offline  
post #14 of 935 Old 04-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Member
 
videofx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago, IL The windy city
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Best Buy has them in stock. I bought the Panasonic 3D Plasma and just on 2D material its one of the best LCD's I have ever seen. 3D is a plus. I almost bought the Panasonic 3D Bluray player until I read that Sony will be coming out with a firmware update in the next couple of months for 3D on the PlayStation so no need to plop down $400 And yes only some of the Magnolia Best Buys have them. Best Buy has an exclusive until May 23rd.

Bill

DirectV with ESPN 3D
Panasonic Viera 54" TC-P54VT25 3D Plasma
Panasonic BDT-300 Blu-Ray Player
Playstation 3 / Blu-Ray 3D
Xbox 360 with HD-DVD
Meridian 861
Meridian 800
Pioneer HLD-X9
videofx is offline  
post #15 of 935 Old 04-17-2010, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,626
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by golferbradbest View Post

you wont need the mitsubishi adapter with the panasonic 3d player. it outputs checkerboard but you do need glasses. the expand x102 r the best but good luck finding em. You can use the x101 but they use an emitter where the 102's are wireless

Do you know of any other glasses that work with the Mits and the BDT300?

lujan
721 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
lujan is offline  
post #16 of 935 Old 04-17-2010, 07:59 AM
Senior Member
 
midnightman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by videofx View Post

I bought the Panasonic 3D Plasma and just on 2D material its one of the best LCD's I have ever seen.

midnightman is offline  
post #17 of 935 Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Clark Burk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Baltimore,MD.USA
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Do you know of any other glasses that work with the Mits and the BDT300?

I don't believe any of the universal 3D glasses have been released yet.

Clark
Clark Burk is offline  
post #18 of 935 Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Senior Member
 
Vonbek777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the 350 available yet? I ordered one yesterday, and was informed it will be a few weeks yet before they are available. Not much info out there on the unit yet, and I am trying to decide if I want to keep my pre-order. Currently have a Pioneer BDP-05fd...but really liked the new wireless features of the 350, if they work as advertised. Any lucky owners out there have any feedback on the unit?
Vonbek777 is offline  
post #19 of 935 Old 04-28-2010, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
FilmMixer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Los Angeles Area, CA. USA
Posts: 6,909
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777 View Post

Is the 350 available yet? I ordered one yesterday, and was informed it will be a few weeks yet before they are available. Not much info out there on the unit yet, and I am trying to decide if I want to keep my pre-order. Currently have a Pioneer BDP-05fd...but really liked the new wireless features of the 350, if they work as advertised. Any lucky owners out there have any feedback on the unit?

Got my 300 today... Magnolia/BB also got 350's in yesterday.

First impressions... really nice player. Pretty quick to start up, and if you turn on Quick Start, it's on par with the PS3 from off to on in this mode...

Testing with Avatar, it loaded it about as fast as my PS3 Slim, which surprised me... I'll need to test some other discs.

I'll have to do some function timings later...

BD picture is as good as I've seen on any player (haven't tried SD DVD yet..) Some video processing tweak-ability in the menus as is typical for Panasonics.

It is a little noisy when spinning the discs up, but with any other audio in the room, it goes away..

One thing I noticed is that there was a little lag of audio when starting Avatar.. the first second of audio isn't coming across bitstream (and my receiver is lightning fast in picking up codecs..) And chapter skips are a little "laggy.." about one seconds, with audio following right behind... nothing earth shattering, but not as quick as a PS3 or Oppo...

The audio "hole" is also an issue when changing chapters or starting a title.... there is a 1-2 second silence before it sends out a decodable bitstream... PCM is fine.. I'll have to see if this is the same on the sub output.

One really cool thing, and I haven't seen this in other other standalone BR player (except the PS3) is a Playback Information Window (press Display>Play>PB Info Window..) This brings up an overlay at the top of the screen that shows Frame Rate, Video Codec, video bitrate, Audio Codec, channel count and audio bitrate (for example on Avatar, it says "1080/24p/MPEG4-AVC, 22.xxx MBPS; DTS-HD MSTR, 5.1ch, 3.xx MBPS).. the second line shows you the output you have selected for audio (i.e. bitstream) and if secondary audio is on or off... the third and fourth lines tell you what is going out of each HDMI output (1080/24p, YCbCr 4:4:4, DTS-HD MSTR...)

Nice to have the information there is you want it...

The Viera Cast functions are fairly smooth... Youtube and Netflix are fairly quick and the browsing is fairly smooth.

It takes around 8 seconds to load into the Viera menu... jumping into Netflix from there is about 7 seconds... as good as I've seen. HD picture quality is really, really good. Navigating through the films is the fastest I've seen yet (compared to XBox 360, PS3 and LG BD 390..)

More to come....
FilmMixer is online now  
post #20 of 935 Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
FilmMixer: three questions:

1) SD DVD performance vs Oppo or Pioneer
2) 1080i Blu-ray deinterlacing performance - does it retain full res?
3) Complex BD-J menus like T2 Skynet, how fast is the navigation?
Ruined is offline  
post #21 of 935 Old 04-29-2010, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jacob305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
the panasonic 80 has the playback info.

Jacob
Jacob305 is offline  
post #22 of 935 Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Vonbek777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks FilmMixer. Haven't received an email yet, but my credit card was charged, so I am assuming my 350 is shipping soon. Can't wait, your preview has me excited.
Vonbek777 is offline  
post #23 of 935 Old 04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geaux Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can the 3D Format be forced out as the preferred video or does the player attempt to automatically determine if your video source is 3D. Apparently there is no forced 3D video setting on the Samsung 3D Blu-ray players and this causes some problems when trying to output the video through a A/V receiver that is HDMI 1.3 even though your HDTV is 3D. The Samsung 3D blu-ray player automatically switches back to 2D. If anyone has used this player with an HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver then please post your findings.
Geaux Tigers is offline  
post #24 of 935 Old 04-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Member
 
thebat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Can the 3D Format be forced out as the preferred video or does the player attempt to automatically determine if your video source is 3D. Apparently there is no forced 3D video setting on the Samsung 3D Blu-ray players and this causes some problems when trying to output the video through a A/V receiver that is HDMI 1.3 even though your HDTV is 3D. The Samsung 3D blu-ray player automatically switches back to 2D. If anyone has used this player with an HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver then please post your findings.

I have an Onkyo receiver that is HDMI 1.3 and I keep the Panasonic BDT300 set on 3D and I have no issues with audio nor video.
thebat68 is offline  
post #25 of 935 Old 04-30-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geaux Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

I have an Onkyo receiver that is HDMI 1.3 and I keep the Panasonic BDT300 set on 3D and I have no issues with audio nor video.

Thanks for the information. Have you watched a 3D movie on your player? If so then how was the experience?
Geaux Tigers is offline  
post #26 of 935 Old 04-30-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
thebat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Thanks for the information. Have you watched a 3D movie on your player? If so then how was the experience?

I have viewed the demo disc that comes with the player and I got a copy of the Monsters VS Aliens as well. Both look very good. I see no ghosting and the 3D effect is awesome. I am glad that the Panny does checkerboard output so I didn't have to buy a new television.
thebat68 is offline  
post #27 of 935 Old 04-30-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Geaux Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat68 View Post

I have viewed the demo disc that comes with the player and I got a copy of the Monsters VS Aliens as well. Both look very good. I see no ghosting and the 3D effect is awesome. I am glad that the Panny does checkerboard output so I didn't have to buy a new television.

Can you send the normal 3D non Checkerboard signal through the Onkyo receiver? This is the reason I ask. I own a 3D ready Samsung DLP LED HDTV. My set like yours will only accept the 3D Checkerboard format. I have a PS3 as my Blu-ray player but I also have a DirecTv receiver that will also be getting the a 3D upgrade. I am not sure if either device will be able to output the 3D Checkerboard format like the Panasonic. I will probably have to purchase a 3D Checkerboard Converter that Mitsibishi will be releasing that is suppose to be compatible with all 3D ready DLP HDTV's. I am hoping to place the converter box between my Onkyo HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver and my HDTV. That way I will not need to buy anything except a the converter box and I can still use my A/V receiver to switch between the PS3 and the DirecTv receiver. Thanks for your help and input.
Geaux Tigers is offline  
post #28 of 935 Old 05-02-2010, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ruined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Can you send the normal 3D non Checkerboard signal through the Onkyo receiver? This is the reason I ask. I own a 3D ready Samsung DLP LED HDTV. My set like yours will only accept the 3D Checkerboard format. I have a PS3 as my Blu-ray player but I also have a DirecTv receiver that will also be getting the a 3D upgrade. I am not sure if either device will be able to output the 3D Checkerboard format like the Panasonic. I will probably have to purchase a 3D Checkerboard Converter that Mitsibishi will be releasing that is suppose to be compatible with all 3D ready DLP HDTV's. I am hoping to place the converter box between my Onkyo HDMI 1.3 A/V Receiver and my HDTV. That way I will not need to buy anything except a the converter box and I can still use my A/V receiver to switch between the PS3 and the DirecTv receiver. Thanks for your help and input.

I have an integra dtc-9.8 (same thing as Onkyo 885). Checkerboard passes through great, just make sure you have the video processor disabled if your receiver has one.
Ruined is offline  
post #29 of 935 Old 05-02-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Geaux Tigers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Shreveport, LA
Posts: 1,468
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

I have an integra dtc-9.8 (same thing as Onkyo 885). Checkerboard passes through great, just make sure you have the video processor disabled if your receiver has one.

Can the non 3D Checkerboard Video run through the A/V Receiver? I will be using a PS3 and a DirecTv receiver as my 3D video sources. My HDTV is a Samsung LED DLP that only accepts the 3D Checkerboard Format. I want to continue to use my Onkyo TX-SR805 as my video switcher. Mitsibishi is making a 3D Checkerboard Converter that is suppose to retail for $100 that is compatible with all 3D ready DLP HDTVs. However the converter has only one video input / output. Therefore, if I could place the converter on the video output of my the A/V Receiver then that would be ideal. I am hoping that Sony will enable a the 3D Checkerboard option on the PS3 as well. Thanks.
Geaux Tigers is offline  
post #30 of 935 Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
thebat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

Can the non 3D Checkerboard Video run through the A/V Receiver? I will be using a PS3 and a DirecTv receiver as my 3D video sources. My HDTV is a Samsung LED DLP that only accepts the 3D Checkerboard Format. I want to continue to use my Onkyo TX-SR805 as my video switcher. Mitsibishi is making a 3D Checkerboard Converter that is suppose to retail for $100 that is compatible with all 3D ready DLP HDTVs. However the converter has only one video input / output. Therefore, if I could place the converter on the video output of my the A/V Receiver then that would be ideal. I am hoping that Sony will enable a the 3D Checkerboard option on the PS3 as well. Thanks.

You will need a HDMI 1.4 switcher when they become available. The receiver will not read the 1.4 properly. The switcher will run to the Mitsubishi adapter and the adapter will run to the receiver.
thebat68 is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt350 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt300 Full Hd 3d Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off