Problem playing "AVATAR" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Having problem playing Avatar on Pioneer BDP-320 player. It played with the old firmware but had problem with the picture having artifact on the screen then upgrade the firmware to 3.54 now will not play the movie at all. I'm getting the the warning sign that I need to update the firmware. Anybody having this problem with there player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I saw issues with the Pioneer 05/51 and 09! Looks, at this point, to be Pioneer only. This has been their history... Surprised to see the Samsungs not choking on it...

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Will test later today on older Samsung and Panasonic player see if they have any problem playing the movie.
post #4 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by marruska92 View Post

Having problem playing Avatar on Pioneer BDP-320 player. It played with the old firmware but had problem with the picture having artifact on the screen then upgrade the firmware to 3.54 now will not play the movie at all. I'm getting the the warning sign that I need to update the firmware. Anybody having this problem with there player.

I thought the Avatar release date was Thursday..??

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #5 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I pre-ordered Avatar from Best Buy. Best Buy sent me an e-mail yesterday saying that "This email is to inform you of a possible firmware update you may need in order to receive the best quality when viewing the blu-ray."

I also see that Sony issued updates for most of their BD players on April 9th. So I would doubt this is a Pioneer only problem.

Every time one of the major BD movies is released and causes this problem, I think of Warren Zevon and sing the chorus form his little song, "Send lawyers, guns, and money. The **** has hit the fan."

Edit: Version 3.65 for the BDP-320 is available here from the UK site: http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/...grade/BDP.html

For some reason, the US site is always a few days behind.
post #6 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Here are the links for the firmware updates to play AVATAR on the 51/320. Note that these firmware work fine on US players and the firmware file is identical to US firmware - the region/etc is stored independently of the firmware. Process to update is also same as the US firmware.

Pioneer BDP-320/23FD update for AVATAR
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...X52_Ver365.zip

Pioneer BDP-51FD/05FD update for AVATAR
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...1FD_Ver165.zip

Pioneer BDP-09FD update for AVATAR
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...X91_Ver265.zip

Enjoy!

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #7 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

I also see that Sony issued updates for most of their BD players on April 9th. So I would doubt this is a Pioneer only problem.

I don't see no firmware update for my Sony BDP-S360. The last one was Version 007, which was released back in Oct 09.
post #8 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post

I don't see no firmware update for my Sony BDP-S360. The last one was Version 007, which was released back in Oct 09.

That would be "I don't see any firmware update...."

Well then you're either:

A. not in need of one.
B. out of luck.

Sorry, as I said, Sony issued updates for "most" of their BD players on April 9th. Perhaps I should have added, YMMV.
post #9 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That would be "I don't see any firmware update...."

Yeah, I think we don't need no update for my Sony. It does not cause no problems for nobody.

It's the way my co-workers talk. So, I figured I'd run with it.

Quote:

Well then you're either:

A. not in need of one.
B. or out of luck.

Sorry, as I said, Sony issued updates for "most" of their BD players on April 9th. Perhaps I should have added, YMMV.

Probably, A. This player doesn't seem to be problematic for people. It's the main reason why I bought it. If it has issues running Avatar, then this will be the first problem for this model.
post #10 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

My local video store had the copy last week for rent and and for sale. Thanks! Will download and try the firmware V365 tonight and hopefully will work.
post #11 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post

Here are the links for the firmware updates to play AVATAR on the 51/320. Note that these firmware work fine on US players and the firmware file is identical to US firmware - the region/etc is stored independently of the firmware. Process to update is also same as the US firmware.

Pioneer BDP-320/23FD update for AVATAR
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...X52_Ver365.zip

Pioneer BDP-51FD/05FD update for AVATAR
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...1FD_Ver165.zip

Pioneer BDP-09FD update for AVATAR
http://www.pioneer.de/files/support/...X91_Ver265.zip

Enjoy!

Thanks Ruined!

post #12 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would imagine there will be more reports of woe and loathing for various machines in the next days. I wish you luck. I have to update firmware for three machines. This ritual of down loading, burning a disk, and praying for a successful update is getting a bit old.

Well, someone at blu-ray.com has confirmed that it plays fine on the Sony BDP-S360. It just takes a minute to load. Other than that, it works ok.

I knew Sony wouldn't let me down. Even if it did have issues, Sony would've released a firmware update for it already. They're usually prompt with stuff like that. But owners of a Samsung player should probably be a little worried.
post #13 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, someone at blu-ray.com has confirmed that it plays fine on the Sony BDP-S360. It just takes a minute to load. Other than that, it works ok.

I knew Sony wouldn't let me down. Even if it did have issues, Sony would've released a firmware update for it already. They're usually prompt with stuff like that. But owners of a Samsung player should probably be a little worried.

Good for you; wise choice!
post #14 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Anything about the old sony 350 ?

I'll rent it for a buck, The last BR disc played was "Sherlock Holmes" no problems.
post #15 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I just spoke with someone from Pioneer regarding Avatar not working with any of the new Pioneer blu ray Players they are currently working on a new firmware that should be available next week to solve the problem so Avatar will play.
post #16 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 12:04 PM

I just noticed someone put Pioneer euro updates up to play avatar I have a pioneer bdp-09FD does anyone have an update link from that or can pm me one also I am downloading off a mac osx
post #17 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcoupe2003 View Post

I just spoke with someone from Pioneer regarding Avatar not working with any of the new Pioneer blu ray Players they are currently working on a new firmware that should be available next week to solve the problem so Avatar will play.

Maybe you want to read the thread. It's available everywhere in the world, multiple sites, except the US Pioneer web site. You just have to click one of the links above in this thread, down load it and update your machine. One click, no waiting.

Edit: The link for the 09 is above too!
post #18 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Doesn't the EURO firmware RUINED posted fix Avatar???

Poor sucker Pioneer owners that don't read AVS. Who'd know what to do if not found out on websites like AVS??

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #19 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Doesn't the EURO firmware RUINED posted fix Avatar???

Poor sucker Pioneer owners that don't read AVS. Who'd know what to do if not found out on websites like AVS??

The FWs are confirmed to fix the issue. And yes, AVS rocks

Vote with your wallet. Don't buy Cinavia-infected Blu-ray Discs! Why pay a premium for pseudo-lossless audio damaged by an intrusive watermark in the audible spectrum?
post #20 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I have confirmation that Avatar will not (currently) play on the Samsung BD-UP5000. My friend receives a red screen with a message stating that the movie will not play without an update to the player, and then urges him to contact his player's manufacturer. He is concerned as he has never had this issue, and fears (given the discontinued status of his player) that Samsung will hang him out to dry.

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #21 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

I have confirmation that Avatar will not (currently) play on the Samsung BD-UP5000. My friend receives a red screen with a message stating that the movie will not play without an update to the player, and then urges him to contact his player's manufacturer. He is concerned as he has never had this issue, and fears (given the discontinued status of his player) that Samsung will hang him out to dry.

I'm presumably going to be in the same boat as I have a bd-up5000. However, I would assume Samsung will either release a firmware upgrade for all of none of their older players. The 5000 combo player has had a more recent firmware upgrade than their 1000 model, the first blu-ray player they released.

Click here for my home theater setup
post #22 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

The red screens people are getting on various players are indicative of a BD+ DRM error. They must have a new revision of BD+ launching with Avatar, which is not surprising.

post #23 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanbauer View Post

I'm presumably going to be in the same boat as I have a bd-up5000. However, I would assume Samsung will either release a firmware upgrade for all of none of their older players. The 5000 combo player has had a more recent firmware upgrade than their 1000 model, the first blu-ray player they released.

I had one of the first 5K's in my area, but sold it off along with the 20 or so HD DVD titles that I had collected a number of months after the HD DVD format was killed off.

Here is the latest from my friend with the BD-UP5000

Note - this was his second contact with Samsung regarding the issue. His first attempt resulted in Samsung suggesting that he perform a reset, and re-apply the v1.04 firmware. He did, and of course the issue remained unchanged.

Quote:

Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Pamela'

Visitor: Hi. I was wondering when a firmware update will be avaial for my Blu-ray player Bd-UP5000. I have the current release but yet Avatar says I need an update to play movie.
Pamela: What is the firmware version on your player?
Visitor: Version 1.4, which is the latest on your download center for my player.
Pamela: Yes it is the latest firmware version on your player
Visitor: Does that mean one is not in the works adn any other 20th Century movie I can't watch??
Pamela: Just to confirm, all the other discs works fine with no issues on your player?
Visitor: Correct, this is the first time I have ever encountered a red screen after loading saying that my player needs an update adn to check manufacter's website. I have been extremely please with thsi player until that night. ;-)
Pamela: I apologize for the inconvenience. It appears to be a firmware issue, we had similar issue and we forwarded the issue to product support department. New firmware will be releases as soon as possible.

Now then, don't you think that it would be prudent for the studios or companies mastering the release, to inform hardware manufacturers of an upcoming change to the DRM, and perhaps... oh, ...I don't know, provide them with a sample of material utilizing the new DRM for the purpose of testing, so that they may in some way have a firmware update ready to release? Call me crazy... SHEESH!!! SAMSUNG!

SpenceJT

www.spenceplace.com

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #24 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

Now then, don't you think that it would be prudent for the studios or companies mastering the release, to inform hardware manufacturers of an upcoming change to the DRM, and perhaps... oh, ...I don't know, provide them with a sample of material utilizing the new DRM for the purpose of testing, so that they may in some way have a firmware update ready to release? Call me crazy... SHEESH!!! SAMSUNG!

No kidding. There's no good reason they couldn't have these updates ready to roll with the first title to use newer BD+5 hits the street, especially with such a massive title like Avatar.

I started contacting Samsung support about Avatar and the BD-UP5000 last night; I wonder if i was the "similar issue".

Click here for my home theater setup
post #25 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 04:22 PM

I attempted downloading the firmware several times for the BDP-09FD euro version it never seems to work every time I put it in the player it says DATA DISC is there anyone who can help me solve this problem so I too can watch AVATAR I have attempted on my mac osx and also on a windows based computer.
post #26 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
big you have to burn the firmware as an iso image.
post #27 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I attempted downloading the firmware several times for the BDP-09FD euro version it never seems to work every time I put it in the player it says DATA DISC is there anyone who can help me solve this problem so I too can watch AVATAR I have attempted on my mac osx and also on a windows based computer.

Are you using imgburn or Windows Disc Image Burner to burn the .iso file? You have to actually burn the image as an image, you can't just copy the .iso file to a CD-R or it will give you the data disc error.

post #28 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 06:26 PM

when I was using the windows i did just right click the file and extract it to a folder then had it written on the cd could you tell me the correct steps please cause I have gone through 6 CD's already and even what programs I would need if any and if they are freely downloadable
post #29 of 239 Old 04-20-2010, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

It's also on the Denon... i have a Denon BDP-AIUDCI and i got the same red screen error... however the first time i put it in it played perfectly! It pixelated here and there i thought it was a bad disc so i buffed it and tried again got about 10 mins of good movie then it pixealted... finally switched the disc to another Avatar... and got the red screen... (i sell them LOL) i tried the original disc and i got the red screen telling me i needed updated software on that too... i checked and my software is the latest... called Denon and they said they will make a note of it.

Hope it's fixed ASAP... no fun watching it through my PS3!... Sucks that the PS3 works and the $4,500 Denon doesn't!

Middle Tennessee & S.W. Florida
www.premieracousticlifestyles.com
see it. hear it. feel it.
Brad Bossman
post #30 of 239 Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 AM
gce

Quote:

when I was using the windows i did just right click the file and extract it to a folder then had it written on the cd could you tell me the correct steps please cause I have gone through 6 CD's already and even what programs I would need if any and if they are freely downloadable

I use Nero. All you have to do is download firmware to a folder on your desktop. Put a CD-R in. Open folder on your desktop, double click on firmware icon then double click on the next firmware icon and it will open Nero and be ready to Burn Image. Click the Burn button and that's it!
Reply Blu-ray Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page