DBP2011 & DBP-1611 owner's thread. All questions and comments go here. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1055 Old 12-31-2010, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Which setting causes the no power on problem?

I guess I wrote too soon. When I tried to power-on my DBP-1611 today with the remote, it failed to turn on. Pressing the power switch also failed, so I unplugged it for about 10 seconds and plugged it back in and then it was able to power-on.

I went into the Setup menu and turned "Auto Power Mode" Off, set "Power Saving" to "Normal Standby" and disabled HDMI power-off. Let's see if that fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1055 Old 12-31-2010, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeinca View Post

I guess I wrote too soon. When I tried to power-on my DBP-1611 today with the remote, it failed to turn on. Pressing the power switch also failed, so I unplugged it for about 10 seconds and plugged it back in and then it was able to power-on.

I went into the Setup menu and turned "Auto Power Mode" Off, set "Power Saving" to "Normal Standby" and disabled HDMI power-off. Let's see if that fixes it.

It does not. Player is back dead again. Cannot believe Denon let this obvious of a flaw slip. What a joke - $400 player that is paralyzed when you turn it off for more than 5 minutes. Sending this junk back!
post #633 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 01:07 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

well, first off "they" is Winston, who posted right after you you can just talk to him directly.

second, he didn't miss it. Blu-ray audio/video performance over HDMI is identical among all competent players, so there is no point in mentioning it. Ironically, when reviewing BDP's it's everything BUT the actual playback of the Blu-ray disc (load times, build quality, features, DVD upscaling, etc) that is going to be different!

Yea, that was a bit funny, I agree. But there is certainly differences on blu-ray quality among players! Just to make an example I see quite a differnce between my ps3 and denon 2500bt with my vpl-vw85 projector!
post #634 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 05:36 AM

It´s amazing neither denon or marantz can answer if their bdp-2012 or ud7006 is going to incorporate SUBTITLE SHIFT. I mean they are shedueld for release early next month from all sources I have heard from.

If you can´t do it denon and marantz, just say so, and I will skip these players for an oppo-93 right now.
post #635 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
jwdhite/joeinca/tron1974:

Anyone sort out a solution to this failure to power on issue? Turning off HDMI power OFF and putting energy saving to normal does nothing in my case. The only way I can now turn ON my player is to disconnect it from the power cord, wait a minute, and then reconnect. Seems so absurd it almost has humor that a $400 player would behave in this fashion...
post #636 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 AM

As far as the power on issues, mine seems to be working fine now (at least the last day). I just tried it and on it went as it should. I have the following settings.
Power Saving: Power Saving Standby
HDMI Control: OFF
HDMI power Off: OFF

That is all I changed. I also have BD Live disabled as I have no use for that.

----------------
post #637 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I made no such claim, now, did I? I have seen the new 3-D technology at my local Sony Store and in the home of a friend, it clearly looked better than the old way of doing it.

Okay I'm confused. You said anaglyph is "good material for demoing [your] HT setup," which I thought curious. Not clear on why that would still qualify as "good material" if you do indeed think stereoscopic "looked better." My understanding of the anaglyph glasses from many other comments is that their color shifts make any kind of even casual viewing, and likely any demo-ing, unattractive.

Quote:

That's just one person's opinion and personal outlook (mine): no need to take umbrage. I really have no axe to grind and, if the new 3-D technology takes-off, all power to it.

The/my point about the thread was/is more about thread-appropriateness than "umbrage." Re 3D 'success,' my point was/is that one could argue that the technology has already 'taken off.' Next year at this time I guarantee you that there will be even more people than already are talking about 3D at home, driven by amongst other things a Deathly Hallows 3D BD. Opinions aside, look at the trend of the numbers:

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...k-friday-21398

Quote:

FYI: I suffer from severe astigmatism and have to wear glasses or contacts all the time. I was still able to adjust the diopter on the 3-D glasses to my satisfaction with my contacts in.

The diopter on the glasses? Wow what glasses are you using?

And if you're someone who has to wear contacts or glasses at all times yet is still able to satisfactorily wear 3D glasses, seems to me the argument could be made you're something of a poster person for the flexibility of the current technology as opposed to the argument that "special needs" viewers won't pay attention/get in to 3D until glasses aren't required.
post #638 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batborsen View Post

It´s amazing neither denon or marantz can answer if their bdp-2012 or ud7006 is going to incorporate SUBTITLE SHIFT. I mean they are shedueld for release early next month from all sources I have heard from.

If you can´t do it denon and marantz, just say so, and I will skip these players for an oppo-93 right now.

Has someone with Denon--as opposed to some retail salesman--specifically prevaricated or said they can't answer this? There are several things that we don't have 100% affirmative clarity on. But there may very well be a difference between Denon's supposedly being unable to answer specific feature set questions versus their just being (unfortunately) tight-lipped about basically everything. In other words, we don't for instance even know exactly when the 2012 is gonna drop, but that doesn't mean it ain't happenin'.
post #639 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

Has someone with Denon--as opposed to some retail salesman--specifically prevaricated or said they can't answer this? There are several things that we don't have 100% affirmative clarity on. But there may very well be a difference between Denon's supposedly being unable to answer specific feature set questions versus their just being (unfortunately) tight-lipped about basically everything. In other words, we don't for instance even know exactly when the 2012 is gonna drop, but that doesn't mean it ain't happenin'.

It simply ain´t polite not answering a question put to customer support. "We do not know yet" would at least be an answer. Marantz has at least anwered that the manual for the ud7006 will show up early this month.
post #640 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It simply ain´t polite not answering a question put to customer support. "We do not know yet" would at least be an answer. Marantz has at least anwered that the manual for the ud7006 will show up early this month.

On the one hand, the finger-wagging part of me that prizes responsiveness and good customer service agrees with you. But, on the other, another part of me knows that the practical reality is such that we don't always get that. I'm sure you, too, have also had experiences with wonderfully polite people who were incompetent. Is that better/preferable?

Perhaps Oppo, online speculation derbies and the uber-availability of pre-release information in this Internet age have combined to re-set your expectations at a higher level that may very well be entirely reasonable but just isn't always met? I often got timely replies from Oppo . . . but I often didn't like what they had to say. That's only better if you lionize responsiveness for responsiveness' sake. Mercedes not responding to my e-mails doesn't make my E550 a worse or less-endowed product.

We may not like when the timeframe is, but the release goalpost for the 2012 has not changed. It sounds like part of your frustration is that you personally want to make a purchase decision sooner rather than later based upon info that's not forthcoming? If so, I get that. But that's a personal calculus that of course doesn't drive their m.o. Denon may care that some consumers are opting for Sony or Oppo or whomever for a 3D BD player, but not enough to court those who were on the fence during Holiday 2010 with e-mails instead of brand equity/loyalty.

I understand and largely agree with your point, but the "devil's advocate" in me thinks it has to be put in broader context.
post #641 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

When is the Denon 2012 (formerly known as 2011) coming out?! I have been waiting forever! Thought about the oppoop but with all of its problems i am passing on that. Hopefully Denon is working on getting there bugs out since the delay in launch.

Quote:

I talked to my Denon distributor a few days ago, and he told me that the DBP-2012 will not be out till the end of February.
I am anxiously waiting to order one of them!!

Ed

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
post #642 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks, Ed. Is it your understanding from that distributor that January is now not happening?

The last two folks who related what they were hearing from a/their Denon distrubutor (Chris Boylan and RayJr, both posting in late October) was January. Do you mind doublechecking with that distribber to confirm or, as Brandt says in Lebowski "disconfirm," if indeed that's now not the case?
post #643 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 03:56 PM

Paul,

Yes he definately said end of February, I talked to him personally. Back in October I also saw the January timeframe here, and at that time my distributor told me "end of December" for what was at the time the DBP-2011. That was also confirmed when I ordered an iPod dock (the ASD-51N) directly from Denon and I had to phone in my credit card. This was ordered in October.

post #644 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks again, Ed. I guess you're a retailer? Are you friendly enough with the Denon rep for him to be candid with you about what some of the primary factors are in seemingly complicating Denon's path to market? Even if I wasn't so keenly interested in buying a 2012, I'd love to know more about what (engineering?) issues a company with Denon's/D&M Holdings' c.e. prowess is apparently facing.

It sure seems like, what with the lack of the 1611's 3D firmware update, that 3D is an issue? Is the fact that Sony, Panasonic, LG and Samsung are all also in the display biz THAT big of a factor in their being more aggressive about 3D BD players? I note that even no-longer-in-the-display-biz Pioneer is later than all of those other companies in bringing 3D BD players to market.

If you can bend your distribber's ear, I'm sure Batborsen would appreciate your also inquiring about sub shift.
post #645 of 1055 Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

It does not. Player is back dead again. Cannot believe Denon let this obvious of a flaw slip. What a joke - $400 player that is paralyzed when you turn it off for more than 5 minutes. Sending this junk back!

Well, I switched the standby setting back because it wasn't powering down but going into standby when I turned it off (which is what the setting implies, but I prefer things to be turned off, although it can't be completely off if you can still turn it on via the remote). So far, I haven't had any problem with it powering-up since I changed the setup menu settings. You may just have a faulty one there, so returning it is probably your best option. I'm hoping that the power-saving behavior will be fixed in the firmware update.
post #646 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post

On the one hand, the finger-wagging part of me that prizes responsiveness and good customer service agrees with you. But, on the other, another part of me knows that the practical reality is such that we don't always get that. I'm sure you, too, have also had experiences with wonderfully polite people who were incompetent. Is that better/preferable?

Perhaps Oppo, online speculation derbies and the uber-availability of pre-release information in this Internet age have combined to re-set your expectations at a higher level that may very well be entirely reasonable but just isn't always met? I often got timely replies from Oppo . . . but I often didn't like what they had to say. That's only better if you lionize responsiveness for responsiveness' sake. Mercedes not responding to my e-mails doesn't make my E550 a worse or less-endowed product.

We may not like when the timeframe is, but the release goalpost for the 2012 has not changed. It sounds like part of your frustration is that you personally want to make a purchase decision sooner rather than later based upon info that's not forthcoming? If so, I get that. But that's a personal calculus that of course doesn't drive their m.o. Denon may care that some consumers are opting for Sony or Oppo or whomever for a 3D BD player, but not enough to court those who were on the fence during Holiday 2010 with e-mails instead of brand equity/loyalty.

I understand and largely agree with your point, but the "devil's advocate" in me thinks it has to be put in broader context.

I guess you are right Paul, I appreciate your input in this regard! I will wait and see what happens.
Deep in my heart I so want it to be able to move "sub", wich is the last piece
missing for me. This player is supposed to have PreP, EE and DE wich I want to combine with my denon dvp
post #647 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 07:32 AM

Paul, yes I do work for a retailer. In my conversations with my distributor, while no exact reasons given, I think it has to do with, making sure that the 2012 will ship 3D capable. Next time I talk with him I will ask about firmware updates and see if he has any information on the power issues that seem to be affecting some owners. I dont imagine we will see any 3D firmware update for the 1611 until the 2012 is ready, as that seems to be the holdup with the 2012.

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & LG almost HAD to have a 3D blu-Ray player out or they probably wouldn't have sold many 3D TV's, they sure like those bundles with exclusive titles. But those players are flimsy and cheap. Mitsubishi is another company in the 3D display business, but what a cluster that is, needed are a 3D kit, a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player (set to checkerboard format) and Samsung glasses.

3D glasses are not interchangable between brands, I actually should try and see if Sony, Samsung & Panasonic players are interchangeble. I will report back on this. If there is an issue with different players (I doubt there is) on different TV brands, then that could be one reason why Denon is having issues getting their players 3D capable.

I did ask a while ago about subtitle shift, but that was something he didn't know. I also hope that Pandora will be available on the 2012 also, but this is not conformed either.

post #648 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Can someone tell me where I can purchase one of the 1611's now either on line or some where in central nj thanks. seems most places I check says comming soon.

post #649 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 View Post

Paul, yes I do work for a retailer. In my conversations with my distributor, while no exact reasons given, I think it has to do with, making sure that the 2012 will ship 3D capable. Next time I talk with him I will ask about firmware updates and see if he has any information on the power issues that seem to be affecting some owners. I dont imagine we will see any 3D firmware update for the 1611 until the 2012 is ready, as that seems to be the holdup with the 2012.

Sony, Samsung, Panasonic & LG almost HAD to have a 3D blu-Ray player out or they probably wouldn't have sold many 3D TV's, they sure like those bundles with exclusive titles. But those players are flimsy and cheap. Mitsubishi is another company in the 3D display business, but what a cluster that is, needed are a 3D kit, a Panasonic 3D blu-ray player (set to checkerboard format) and Samsung glasses.

3D glasses are not interchangable between brands, I actually should try and see if Sony, Samsung & Panasonic players are interchangeble. I will report back on this. If there is an issue with different players (I doubt there is) on different TV brands, then that could be one reason why Denon is having issues getting their players 3D capable.

I did ask a while ago about subtitle shift, but that was something he didn't know. I also hope that Pandora will be available on the 2012 also, but this is not conformed either.

Excuse me, but what is pandora?
post #650 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

One more try where are you guys buying these appreciate a couple of places thanks.

post #651 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Excuse me, but what is pandora?

Pandora Internet Radio

www.pandora.com

I have it on my Sony KDL52NX800 but I have to have the TV on for it to work, it would be nice to start it up, then turn the tv off and enjoy the music.

Ed

post #652 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

One more try where are you guys buying these appreciate a couple of places thanks.

These are just starting to ship, I do not have them in stock where I work. I have heard reports of these available at some Best Buy stores.
I just did an internet search and came up blank too.

post #653 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk68 View Post

These are just starting to ship, I do not have them in stock where I work. I have heard reports of these available at some Best Buy stores.
I just did an internet search and came up blank too.

thanks

post #654 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

Can someone tell me where I can purchase one of the 1611's now either on line or some where in central nj thanks. seems most places I check says comming soon.

6th Ave Electronics carries Denon. I checked last week and they were in stock then.
post #655 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Ordered mine from Crutchfield in early December. It was backordered but arrived Dec. 23.
post #656 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 PM

In the 1611 complaint department: Why does it cut off the first 1/2 second of track 1 on regular CDs? This happens if the disc in already in and I press play or if I insert the disc and hit play to close the drawer. Either way, I have to hit the back button if I want to hear that first half second. Rather annoying if you ask me.
post #657 of 1055 Old 01-02-2011, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudybeet View Post

Ordered mine from Crutchfield in early December. It was backordered but arrived Dec. 23.

thanks currently back ordered, also no go 6th guess going for the oppo 93

post #658 of 1055 Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:

thanks currently back ordered, also no go 6th guess going for the oppo 93

I ordered mine from EE for less than $300 shipped the week of Christmas.

----------------
post #659 of 1055 Old 01-03-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Hi Guys, this is my first post on this thread, so first of all Happy New Year to all.

I'm also a proud owner of a brand new Denon DBP-1611 since this X-mas, device works flawlessly so far.

My Q to the Board is that on my player I can not select YouTube, it's inactive. I'm in Europe, so my version is for the European market. I've checked Denon's European support site but there is no firmware upgrade availabe for this model yet.

Anyone from Europe having the same issue? Or any solution at hand?

Will appreciate your kind input on this matter.

Thanks in advance.
post #660 of 1055 Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi Guys, this is my first post on this thread, so first of all Happy New Year to all.

I'm also a proud owner of a brand new Denon DBP-1611 since this X-mas, device works flawlessly so far.

My Q to the Board is that on my player I can not select YouTube, it's inactive. I'm in Europe, so my version is for the European market. I've checked Denon's European support site but there is no firmware upgrade availabe for this model yet.

Anyone from Europe having the same issue? Or any solution at hand?

Will appreciate your kind input on this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the European version is in the same position the US version is. Waiting for firmware update here too.

Let us know if you have any power issues with your unit, several users here have had issues where they were not able to turn the unit on until the power cord was pulled for 30 seconds. Experimenting with powersaving modes seemed to help some but not others.

Reply Blu-ray Players

Tags
Denon Dbp 1611ud Universal Blu Ray Dvd Cd Player Black , Blu Ray Players
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page